Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

College basketball scandal

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
College basketball scandal
Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:08 am
  • So, this is going to get interesting. I think we all understand that college recruiting is gross but I think basketball is the worst of the worst, with middle men, handlers, AAU coaches, etc, etc. 10 people arrested including adidas global reps for steering kids to certain schools. 4 assistant coaches arrested, but interestingly none of them were from adidas schools.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... corruption
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Re: College basketball scandal
Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:33 am
  • This is a big deal. This is not just my school is now on probation, these are crimes that can carry sentences of up to 20 years in prison.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:49 am
  • Explains how USC got 2 of Seattle's best high school recruits or how Arizona always brings in a top 3 class every year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    dopeboy206
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:36 pm
  • Apparently this is two separate situations. One involving Adidas employees paying family members of high schoolers to direct the kids to schools that were sponsored by Adidas and another where the college coaches were taking bribes to steer their college players to specific financial/business managers.

2014 Adopt-A-Rookie: Kiero Small
    2015 Adopt-A-Rookie: Tyler Lockett
    2016 Adopt-A-Rookie: Joey Hunt
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:52 pm
  • Cool, this needed to happen. Would like an expaded probe into college football as well.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:11 pm
  • I got alerts on this story earlier this morning.

Very few details were available at the time.

Will definitely be interesting to see play out, and will most likely have a far reaching "ripple effect"
    ITS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN !
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:46 am

Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:56 am
  • They've now subpoenaed Nike documents. By the time this is done Oregon State will be the only clean program in the country.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:12 pm
  • Dan Dorcek (espn) estimated that about 100 basketball programs (out of 320) would end up caught up in this.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:17 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:Dan Dorcek (espn) estimated that about 100 basketball programs (out of 320) would end up caught up in this.

Whoa. This is going to get ugly.
    86Hawk
    NET Starter

Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:29 pm
  • Outstanding. Arrest them all. They use these kids and throw them away like trash. Yeah, most of the D1 kids can get a "free" education.....but that is a pittance compared to what everyone else in the business is making. If they can afford to give some kid's family $100k, then how much are they really making?
    Send Lawyers, Guns and Money!
    GO 'HAWKS!!
    WmHBonney
    NET Veteran

Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:10 am
  • JSeahawks wrote:They've now subpoenaed Nike documents. By the time this is done Oregon State will be the only clean program in the country.

UW should come out clean,they suck enough right? :lol:
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:03 am
  • IndyHawk wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:They've now subpoenaed Nike documents. By the time this is done Oregon State will be the only clean program in the country.

UW should come out clean,they suck enough right? :lol:

We'll see. Fultz and the Porters were both part of the Nike grass roots program that just got subpoenaed. Which doesn't automatically mean anything was dirty but I'm sure they'll be looked at. The Porters have the family connection but I'll admit to wondering how a kid from Maryland and one of the top recruits in the country (Fultz) ended up committing to a below average program on the west coast. In all honesty, I just assume everybody in college basketball, even more so than football, is dirty to a certain extent. At least if UW gets found guilty of something they'll be able to say it was from the old staff which is now gone.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:13 am
  • Yeah this isn't anything really new, but it will be interesting to see how it unfolds. This is just the tip of the iceberg. Guys are going to roll and talk to get out of charges or less time. I wonder if Sean Miller will get fired, I think it looks pretty bad for him. Here is an article which talks about the specifics of Arizona landing one of their big recruits.

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketbal ... richardson

I'm pretty sure Romar and UW are clean. The guy I would be a little worried about is our former assistant coach Chillious, just because he was very involved in AAU and he was a Nike guy. Porter was going to come here because his dad was given the assistant coaching job. Fultz came here because UW was the first to recruit him, before he ever became big. Now that all this news has come out, specifically about Arizona, I wonder if we lost out on certain recruits because of money. Trier and Aaron Gordon were considered near sure things to come to UW, and we lost both to Arizona. I'm curious about the two local Seattle kids, J'rron Brooks and Kevin Porter who are both signed to go to USC next season. USC's assistant was one of the original names that was brought up. With these schools likely facing punishment, I'm hoping they come back home to UW. In a weird way, if UW does in fact come back clean, this could help them out as we already know two Pac-12 schools are likely going to be in trouble, and wouldn't surprise me if Oregon is another.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:32 pm
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:Yeah this isn't anything really new, but it will be interesting to see how it unfolds. This is just the tip of the iceberg. Guys are going to roll and talk to get out of charges or less time. I wonder if Sean Miller will get fired, I think it looks pretty bad for him. Here is an article which talks about the specifics of Arizona landing one of their big recruits.

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketbal ... richardson

I'm pretty sure Romar and UW are clean. The guy I would be a little worried about is our former assistant coach Chillious, just because he was very involved in AAU and he was a Nike guy. Porter was going to come here because his dad was given the assistant coaching job. Fultz came here because UW was the first to recruit him, before he ever became big. Now that all this news has come out, specifically about Arizona, I wonder if we lost out on certain recruits because of money. Trier and Aaron Gordon were considered near sure things to come to UW, and we lost both to Arizona. I'm curious about the two local Seattle kids, J'rron Brooks and Kevin Porter who are both signed to go to USC next season. USC's assistant was one of the original names that was brought up. With these schools likely facing punishment, I'm hoping they come back home to UW. In a weird way, if UW does in fact come back clean, this could help them out as we already know two Pac-12 schools are likely going to be in trouble, and wouldn't surprise me if Oregon is another.

This thing isn't going to sink an individual school, it's going to sink the entire NCAA.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:42 am
  • But it won't. The FBI is now doing the NCAAs dirty work. This whole thing is just unraveling the darker side of recruiting that the head coaches simply pretend to be oblivious to. The NCAA will come in late with suspensions. But the system won't change (pay the athletes, let them negotiate on their own behalf)

Not sure why UW is involved in this thread (but J didn't miss the chance). Arizonas situation is quite telling. They're brought into this as a third party, with an rep and a coach discussing they would need to this much money to beat UofAs offer to a player. To me... that demonstrates how open this business really is.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:09 am
  • Here's a decent article about how this whole situation started years ago, with the blessing of the NCAA members.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/co ... 711098001/

2014 Adopt-A-Rookie: Kiero Small
    2015 Adopt-A-Rookie: Tyler Lockett
    2016 Adopt-A-Rookie: Joey Hunt
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:23 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:But it won't. The FBI is now doing the NCAAs dirty work. This whole thing is just unraveling the darker side of recruiting that the head coaches simply pretend to be oblivious to. The NCAA will come in late with suspensions. But the system won't change (pay the athletes, let them negotiate on their own behalf)

Not sure why UW is involved in this thread (but J didn't miss the chance). Arizonas situation is quite telling. They're brought into this as a third party, with an rep and a coach discussing they would need to this much money to beat UofAs offer to a player. To me... that demonstrates how open this business really is.

JS was just answering my post in which I used UW.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:10 pm
  • IndyHawk wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:But it won't. The FBI is now doing the NCAAs dirty work. This whole thing is just unraveling the darker side of recruiting that the head coaches simply pretend to be oblivious to. The NCAA will come in late with suspensions. But the system won't change (pay the athletes, let them negotiate on their own behalf)

Yes, I demand an apology from Uncle Si for dragging my name through the mud!
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:17 pm
  • Ok ok.. the shot at J was a little uncalled for. My point though was that the Huskies hadn't even been hinted as involved.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:04 pm
  • no shot at that POS is ever uncalled for.
    I'm fly
    I should be in the sky with birds
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:53 pm
  • Sponsors hirer representatives early on for targeted kids, these Elite teams in Baseball, Soccer, Basketball where there are all stars playing and getting perks like travel and uniforms and gear start earlier and earlier, they many times forbid kids to participate in other sports at all and commit to one all start team or another now year round, then as they get into high school AIA teams during off season from school camps begin, more perks, red carpet treatment for the kids showing more growth, like meeting Professionals and going to games, locker rooms setting up some personal coaching at Professional levels by players. Maybe a good job to account for the new money that's being filtered to keep these kids enrolled in the programs they want them in. If the kid is a real deal prospect the set up starts to push towards a school subtlety and openly on one level within the rules, under the table more money and promises being funneled by alumni. Then you get to the blackmail about the money given and the perks and if they don't sign they will lose all of it and be black balled unless paid back or a story leaked in some way removing college eligibility, Basketball and Football players mostly, Baseball have other options they can turn pro early, but still have that pressure to own up to who paved the way with agents and representation.

It's crooked and getting worse, 11 year old kids being targeted to play a sport and using parents desire and money to take and remove their options and in fact being able to be a kid.

It's like parents of Child Actors and Singers, runway models etc.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:00 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:
    IndyHawk wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:But it won't. The FBI is now doing the NCAAs dirty work. This whole thing is just unraveling the darker side of recruiting that the head coaches simply pretend to be oblivious to. The NCAA will come in late with suspensions. But the system won't change (pay the athletes, let them negotiate on their own behalf)

Yes, I demand an apology from Uncle Si for dragging my name through the mud!

You're from Oregon. It's drug through the mud by association. :P
    "Soon, the super karate monkey death car would park in my space. But Jimmy has fancy plans, and pants to match."

- Excerpt from Jimmy James: Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:41 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information