Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Mayweather vs McGregor August 26

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:39 pm
  • http://mmajunkie.com/2017/06/report-conor-mcgregor-vs-floyd-mayweather-happening-aug-26-in-las-vegas

Fast on the heels of an approved event request to the Nevada boxing commission, the much-ballyhooed meeting between Floyd Mayweather and Conor McGregor is set to go down.

Citing a “well-placed source,” Yahoo! Sports reporter Kevin Iole today wrote that the bout will take place Aug. 26 in Las Vegas, the date approved by the Nevada State Athletic Commission for an event at the MGM Grand Garden Arena.

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Re: Mayweather vs McGregor August 26
Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:58 pm
  • Over/Under on McGregor landing more then 3 punches?
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:02 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:Over/Under on McGregor landing more then 3 punches?

Or one could ask over/under $100 million for Mayweather for each punch landed by McGregor

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:59 pm
  • This fight would be more interesting if they just held it in a giant Scrooge McDuckian vault and threw gold coins at each other... because that's all that's really happening
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:45 am
  • JSeahawks wrote:Over/Under on McGregor landing more then 3 punches?

I'm sure the script calls for McGregor to land his share to look strong before Mayweather goes over at the end.

2014 Adopt-A-Rookie: Kiero Small
    2015 Adopt-A-Rookie: Tyler Lockett
    2016 Adopt-A-Rookie: Joey Hunt
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:13 am
  • Possibly but Mayweather would risk getting knocked out if he ate a few punches. Purely boxing McGregor will get killed but he does have power and is capable of knocking anyone out so I wouldn't expect Mayweather to take that approach.
    austinslater25
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:19 am
  • I wish this was an MMA bout. As a boxing match, I think it almost certainly goes to decision. As an MMA match, I am betting it doesn't get past the two minute mark of the first round.
    LargentFan
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:55 am
  • Agreed. Mayweather would get embarrassed if they used MMA rules.
    austinslater25
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:57 am
  • kidhawk wrote:

Who knew Mayweather was 64 years old?

As a casual fan of both boxing and MMA, this fight is intriguing. But since it's 100% boxing so that the woman beater can remain undefeated and still collect his bajillions, I'm probably not going to spend $100 to watch McGregor flail around for 10 rounds.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:51 pm
  • This is one of the dumbest fights in history. I hope people are wise and don't fall for the obvious cash grab.
    knownone
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:23 pm
  • As someone who really likes boxing, this match annoys me. Boxing gets almost no attention, except for fights that get hyped for no reason. Just like the Mayweather-Pacman fight, this will likely disappoint.

There are some really great boxers who get no media attention. Terence Crawford, Errol Spence Jr, and Keith Thurman are all terrific fighters who I think could beat Mayweather at this point in his career, yet nobody knows about them because no one cares to talk about them.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:50 pm
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:As someone who really likes boxing, this match annoys me. Boxing gets almost no attention, except for fights that get hyped for no reason. Just like the Mayweather-Pacman fight, this will likely disappoint.

There are some really great boxers who get no media attention. Terence Crawford, Errol Spence Jr, and Keith Thurman are all terrific fighters who I think could beat Mayweather at this point in his career, yet nobody knows about them because no one cares to talk about them.

I wouldn't really call this a boxing match. It's more of a spectacle that draws in a TON of money.

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:15 pm
  • I think Floyd will pull it out for the simple fact that he is used to going deep into fights, where Connor has gone no deeper than 5. In some of those longer fights he gassed out, and if he does that Floyd is going to pick him apart. Now with that being said, Connor has KO power in his hands, and could very well catch Grndpa FFloyd has been cherry picking fights for years, and is now 40.loyd and put him on his butt.

Floyd has been cherry picking fights for years, and is now 40. He isn't the 28 year old shit talker anymore that Connor now is.
    "Practice without improvement is meaningless" - Chuck Knox
    Hawk_Nation
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:33 am
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:As someone who really likes boxing, this match annoys me. Boxing gets almost no attention, except for fights that get hyped for no reason. Just like the Mayweather-Pacman fight, this will likely disappoint.

Isn't Mayweather partially to blame for the lack of excitement for boxing right now?

He may be widely considered the greatest boxer of all time, but for a novice sports fan, he's the equivalent of watching paint dry in the ring. All technician and defense.

IMO this is where both sports should go, start blurring the lines a little. It's entertainment after all, and I can guarantee you even though McGregor is way out of his element he's going to make the fight entertaining.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:16 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:As someone who really likes boxing, this match annoys me. Boxing gets almost no attention, except for fights that get hyped for no reason. Just like the Mayweather-Pacman fight, this will likely disappoint.

Isn't Mayweather partially to blame for the lack of excitement for boxing right now?

He may be widely considered the greatest boxer of all time, but for a novice sports fan, he's the equivalent of watching paint dry in the ring. All technician and defense.

IMO this is where both sports should go, start blurring the lines a little. It's entertainment after all, and I can guarantee you even though McGregor is way out of his element he's going to make the fight entertaining.

I'm not sure if he is to blame. He was great at what he did. Do you fault the Harbough 49ers team for playing what a lot of people thought was boring football? My point is that the media and general public only pay attention to the big names. Casual fans only know of Mayweather, Pacman and now Golovkin. No different than how the Cowboys get a ton of national TV games regardless if they are good or not.

Boxing definitely has its issues, but recently there have been some great young boxers and some really good matches. The Joshua-Klitschko fight was great. Nothing better than seeing two heavy weights constantly landing power punches. The Thurman-Porter fight from last summer was probably one of the best fights I've ever seen. Anyone who wants to explore the more exciting side of boxing, watch that fight. If you have On Demand, they are on there.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:44 am
  • This will be the easiest fight of Mayweather's career. He will probably run away all day and prolong it, but he could end this early if he wanted to. McGregor has never seen anything on the same planet as the speed or angles he is about to encounter. Mayweather could hit him at will if he wanted and dodge everything that comes his way. I won't be watching this abomination.
    I'm fly
    I should be in the sky with birds
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:46 pm
  • Read an article that said McGregor has been getting a ton of action in Vegas, already cut the odds in half. More action has been put on this fight in the past few days than the Kovalev-Ward fight got in the last month.

For the real boxing fans, I heard Ward-Kovalev was an exciting fight. Hoping to catch the replay of it on HBO sometime next week. Andre Ward is easily one of the best pound for pound boxers, maybe the best.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:05 pm
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:Read an article that said McGregor has been getting a ton of action in Vegas, already cut the odds in half. More action has been put on this fight in the past few days than the Kovalev-Ward fight got in the last month.

I'd imagine there's no money to be made betting on Mayweather. Put some money down on McGregor and hope for a lucky punch and a payday.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:54 pm
  • Yep. Ton of small bets on Mcgregor, all the big bets on Mayweather.

And yes, Ward looked really good. Might have been his best fight. That division dosent have a lot of competition right now so it's hard to determine how good he is.
    I'm fly
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:07 pm
  • It's the real life version of Rocky Balboa vs. Thunderlips.
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:16 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:This fight would be more interesting if they just held it in a giant Scrooge McDuckian vault and threw gold coins at each other... because that's all that's really happening

:2thumbs:
    Remember Rocky against Hulk?This is worse..
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:54 pm
  • This is an exhibition. Not a real boxing match. McGregor is not from the same sport. The age disparity is very real.

I'm calling for.....McGregor knockout by de tird round. Irish lilt please. Ty. We win.
    Shaq Griffin: 2017 Adopt a Rookie (injury substitution)
    Atradees
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:02 pm
  • Mayweather will run, McGregor will lose the fight.

Both bank accounts will win.
    ITS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN !
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:22 pm
  • As a long time boxing fan, this fight is kind of embarrassing. Not because Floyd is fighting a guy who literally doesn't even have a punchers chance... No, it's embarrassing because the media is making Floyd out to be the GOAT because he will surpass Rocky Marciano's record of 49-0. FFS, Julio Ceasar Chevas was 87-0 against better competition and he was in the same weight class as Floyd. Now he's gonna fight a guy who shouldn't even be allowed to step into the ring with him... and that's the fight that will solidify Floyd as the greatest? I can't stand Manny Pacquiao but he has a better claim than Floyd as The GOAT.
    knownone
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:55 am
  • This whole thing seems to be a glorified episode of Superstars from about 40 years ago.
    UK_Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:12 pm
  • It's Rocky III
    HAWKAMANIA
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:15 am
  • Since there's some boxing fans in this thread, what does everyone think about Canelo-GGG?

That one feels much more worth my money.
    kobebryant
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:46 am
  • kobebryant wrote:Since there's some boxing fans in this thread, what does everyone think about Canelo-GGG?

I think it will be a very good fight. GGG has looked pretty shaky his last two fights, whereas Canelo was very impressive in his last fight. If GGG were in his prime I think he'd beat Canelo, but I think he's starting to slow down.

The possible fight that would really interest me would be GGG against Ward, assuming GGG beats Canelo.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:12 am
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:
    kobebryant wrote:Since there's some boxing fans in this thread, what does everyone think about Canelo-GGG?

I think it will be a very good fight. GGG has looked pretty shaky his last two fights, whereas Canelo was very impressive in his last fight. If GGG were in his prime I think he'd beat Canelo, but I think he's starting to slow down.

The possible fight that would really interest me would be GGG against Ward, assuming GGG beats Canelo.

Pumped. I think there is a lot of really good boxing out there for those who want to find it and know where to look for it.

As for Connor/Floyd - what a sham. Floyd won't get touched and will stay undefeated; Connor won't get hurt, he'll lose but it doesn't hurt his reputation because he isn't a boxer. They both walk away with 100's of millions. They've been in cahoots and laughing amongst themselves about this risk free money making scheme from day 1.
    kobebryant
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:35 pm
  • There are some great boxers between 140 lbs and 147 lbs. Boxing is actually in a good place because of the talent, now we just need the right matches. Terence Crawford, Keith Thurman and Errol Spence Jr are all great boxers. Crawford could be the next big thing. He just scheduled a fight for this August on ESPN against Lomachenko. Thurman is currently recovering from elbow surgery, but should be ready to go by this winter. If we can get two of those three guys to fight against each other, that will be a great match.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:39 am
  • Not gonna be broadcast in 4k from what I'm hearing....bummer.

I think Mayweather is going to win easily, but it should be an entertaining spectacle.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:21 pm
  • It's a joke of a fight. Mayweather will toy with him for 12 rounds. McGregor will be totally gassed in the later rounds and will probably end up seriously hurting something. It takes boxers years to work up to a 10-round professional fight. Admittedly, five-minute MMA rounds take more endurance than three minutes per round of boxing, but McGregor has looked gassed in the third round of MMA fights! What will he look like in minute 30 of a sport he has barely trained in? I think McGregor will tough it out and receive his plaudits for that. However, the whole fight is just one more illustration of the loathsomeness of Mayweather.
    hawknation2017
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:38 pm
  • This isn't much different from Lyle Alzado fighting Ali in 1979. The only difference is the PPV audience coughing up billions deceived into thinking it's a real fight.

McGregor will likely go full throttle in the beginning and wear out and Mayweather will keep him in it for several rounds as the script calls for. Sad state of high profile boxing.
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:47 pm
  • knownone wrote:This is one of the dumbest fights in history. I hope people are wise and don't fall for the obvious cash grab.

the whole cash grab thing is a dumb argument. Boxing matches happen once every...what? it's a very rare event, not to mention they are beating each other up. Big bucks HAS to be involved, plus this is America. It's a good thing that it's a cash grab. It's inevitable. Whether or not it's a good fight will decide if it's worth your money. Pac vs Mayweather was a let down for sure though. I initially thought McGregor will win this fight easily but then I forgot he has to get down to the same weight as Mayweather. I think it's a toss up, I just want it to be a good damn fight. Give me 6 rounds of a good fight and I'll be happy.
    ImageImageImageImageImage
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:08 pm
  • Crizilla wrote:
    knownone wrote:This is one of the dumbest fights in history. I hope people are wise and don't fall for the obvious cash grab.

the whole cash grab thing is a dumb argument. Boxing matches happen once every...what? it's a very rare event, not to mention they are beating each other up. Big bucks HAS to be involved, plus this is America. It's a good thing that it's a cash grab. It's inevitable. Whether or not it's a good fight will decide if it's worth your money. Pac vs Mayweather was a let down for sure though. I initially thought McGregor will win this fight easily but then I forgot he has to get down to the same weight as Mayweather. I think it's a toss up, I just want it to be a good damn fight. Give me 6 rounds of a good fight and I'll be happy.

Your not going to be happy. Mayweather will Dodge Dip Dive Duck and Dodge the entire fight like he always does and will win in a decision...
    gowazzu02
    NET Veteran

Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:23 pm
  • gowazzu02 wrote:
    Crizilla wrote:
    knownone wrote:This is one of the dumbest fights in history. I hope people are wise and don't fall for the obvious cash grab.

Your not going to be happy. Mayweather will Dodge Dip Dive Duck and Dodge the entire fight like he always does and will win in a decision...

This. Sorry to say.
    hawknation2017
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:57 am
  • Crizilla wrote:

Wait, what?? If McGregor tried to venture into boxing, he'd start at the bottom, fighting poor to average professional boxers, and my guess is he would do pretty poorly. There's just too much hand speed, power, and angles that he isn't aware of. Now, not only is he going to go into this new sport, but he's not taking on a poor to average professional boxer. He's fighting the best of the generation. If this wasn't fixed, it wouldn't make it out of round one. You're out of your mind if you think there is any chance we'll get six good rounds. One or two would be more than I'd expect.
    I'm fly
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:01 am
  • Waste of money like all mayweather fights....
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions 2014.02.02 Seahawks 43 Broncos 8
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:31 am
  • Cyrus12 wrote:Waste of money like all mayweather fights....

I caught a few rounds of his fight vs (and his name is escaping me right now! Mexican fighter) last night on tv.

McGregor is so fast. He will be able to pick apart McGregor with his jab and just run around him all night. You don't see hand speed in the UFC like Mayweather has.
    gowazzu02
    NET Veteran

Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:31 pm
  • gowazzu02 wrote:
    Cyrus12 wrote:Waste of money like all mayweather fights....

McGregor is so fast. He will be able to pick apart McGregor with his jab and just run around him all night. You don't see hand speed in the UFC like Mayweather has.

So you don't think McGregor can catch McGregor? It's possible. He just has to keep punching himself in the face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    dopeboy206
    NET Veteran

Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:47 pm
  • Actually Mayweather will knock out Mayweather while McGregor punches himself until he knocks out Mayweather again before McGregor McGregor's Mayweather's Mayweather

But only on paper
    ImageImageImageImageImage
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:10 am
  • Crizilla wrote:Actually Mayweather will knock out Mayweather while McGregor punches himself until he knocks out Mayweather again before McGregor McGregor's Mayweather's Mayweather

But only on paper

This is the most likely scenario IMO.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:00 am
  • LOL oops, I think you guys got what I meant. MAYWEATHER is just so explosive. So fast.
    gowazzu02
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:37 am
  • Cyrus12 wrote:Waste of money like all mayweather fights....

Like most SB's, it's an excuse to get together with friends, eat bad food and get drunk. It's the spectacle that makes these sort of events fun.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:17 pm
  • This is a poor showing for Showtime. The commentators are lame, production snoozfest
    Shaq Griffin: 2017 Adopt a Rookie (injury substitution)
    Atradees
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:55 pm
  • pretty cool, someone had it live on FB.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:00 pm
  • TKO in the 10th ?

I just saw an alert.

Did anybody here watch the fight?

How was it?

Report please :{)
    ITS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN !
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:06 pm
  • I think Coner is only used to one quarter of play and not 4.. he was exhausted in the end... Floyd looked still fresh.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:06 pm
  • pmedic920 wrote:TKO in the 10th ?

I just saw an alert.

Did anybody here watch the fight?

How was it?

Report please :{)

I didnt watch, just following along online. Sounds like Floyd basically sat back to get a read on him for the first 3 rounds. Then completely picked him apart after that until an exhausted Conor basically couldnt go on. ACcording to most it seems at was at least more entertaining then Floyd vs Paquio... which isnt saying much.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:09 pm
  • The fight was alright. I'm not the biggest boxing fan. McGregor looked decent, but he gassed badly in the 9th and he paid for it in the 10th. Mayweather kept ducking and turning his back during the earlier rounds and it was really annoying. Maybe that's part of boxing, but I am a big MMA fan and that doesn't fly in the octagon. Ref stopped it with McGregor standing. Neither fighter got knocked down.
    LargentFan
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:37 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information