Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Massive layoffs at espn

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Massive layoffs at espn
Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:21 am
  • Differ, Danny kannell, many others.

Yet Steven a smith somehow still has a job.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Re: Massive layoffs at espn
Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:24 am

Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:27 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:http://deadspin.com/a-running-list-of-espn-layoffs-1794664091

Basically got rid of the entire NHL staff. And Ed Werder? Harsh, guy was around a long, long time

They laid off their Pac 12 reporter, Ted Miller, as well. And yeah, canning Werder the day before the draft is harsh.

2014 Adopt-A-Rookie: Kiero Small
    2015 Adopt-A-Rookie: Tyler Lockett
    2016 Adopt-A-Rookie: Joey Hunt
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:30 am
  • Ted miller will definitely be missed. Seems like they're getting rid of all the grinders and keeping the loud mouthed idiots.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:54 am
  • Dang, I thought you meant layoffs on 710 espn Seattle.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:52 am
  • SeatownJay wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:http://deadspin.com/a-running-list-of-espn-layoffs-1794664091

Basically got rid of the entire NHL staff. And Ed Werder? Harsh, guy was around a long, long time

They laid off their Pac 12 reporter, Ted Miller, as well. And yeah, canning Werder the day before the draft is harsh.

Chantel Jennings gone too. That's both PAC 12 reporters.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:14 pm

Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:39 am
  • I wonder if this one was included. She is awful.

Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:28 am
  • Finally, I don't have to look at Dilfer's stupid suit and sneakers combo any more. Dress like a professional, man.

When is ESPN going to realize that we don't care about this TMZ-style crap? Just give me hilights, scores, trades, etc. I don't care about who tweeted what or who disrespected who...stop it with the high school drama already. I can't even remember the last time I watched ESPN for something other than MNF or a college game.
    253hawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:31 am
  • This has nothing to do with the worth of these individuals as analysts or writers. The TMZ crap is the only thing that drives viewers to their channels right now.

This is ESPN realizing they are losing millions because of a severe decline in their memberships (why they still choose this as a way to generate revenue is well behind the times) while paying far more than that to secure rights to televise big events.

This is phase 1 of what will become a massive overhaul in ESPN's philosophy.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:37 am
  • Yeah it seems ESPN is going full TMZ MTV style trying desperately to gain back viewership, especially younger viewers.

Most of the people on this list are older veteran reporters and personalities. Good ones for the most part, but not the demo they want.

Good riddance on Dilfer, can't stand him.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:53 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:Yeah it seems ESPN is going full TMZ MTV style trying desperately to gain back viewership, especially younger viewers.

Most of the people on this list are older veteran reporters and personalities. Good ones for the most part, but not the demo they want.

Good riddance on Dilfer, can't stand him.

I think it's more than that. They let go dozens of good writers (Ed Werder?). Their on-air personalities are sadly still pretty strong. This more about cutting back on their expansion and recalculating what their future will look like.

http://deadspin.com/espns-diminished-future-has-become-its-present-1794433796
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:41 am
  • Only time I ever watch ESPN is during live game broadcasts and the hour NFL pregame before the Fox pregame starts......

Look at the number of posts I have on here alone. If IM not tuning in they have a problem.....
    gowazzu02
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:50 pm
  • ESPN is the CNN of sports media. 90% of it is political garbage nobody wants to hear. I remember the days where before school I would wake up early and be super excited to watch nothing but highlight reels with Chris Berman on SportsCenter. It's really unfortunate what ESPN has become.

Also I'm SO glad Sarah Spain gets to stay so we can hear her on Sunday Night Baseball unironically compare MLB to her College Softball days, because you know, they are just totally the same game and require the same amount of skill!

*rolls eyes*
    ImageImageImageImageImage
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:58 pm
  • ESPN has lost me forever. Haven't visited their site or watched their channel at all. Too much politics and social policy pushing.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:37 pm
  • I heard that is also has to do with reduced revenues from people cutting the cable cord and going with streaming packages.
    Yes! I just did that. My girlfriend hates the Barbie dolls. Rants about them actually. Im like what does she have to do with sports? Its likely cost cuttin moves. Personalities are expensive.

What I would like to see is more stories from sports. Insider angles on trade information, players, etc.
    Seems like the NFL is so private leaving us guessing.
    Shaq Griffin: 2017 Adopt a Rookie (injury substitution)
    Atradees
    NET Veteran

Mon May 01, 2017 5:05 pm
  • ESPN for years had the mantra of "Let's all hangout and watch sports" it was let's leave all the discussions that are not directly related to sports out of it. Recently they have taken on new policies that have allowed their on-air personalities to talk openly about politics and their own views on the topic. If you do that you will drive some viewers away, you will do this no matter what side of any political issue you take sides on. ESPN used to be neutral allowing for a larger viewer base. They also overpaid for NBA regular season games and Monday night football.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran

Mon May 08, 2017 7:05 am
  • Who knew that espousing hard-left social justice politics during sports related broadcasts would result in an alienated viewership?

ESPN needs to go the way of the dodo. Hollywood in general needs to go along with them.
    Feel free to contact me if you need legal assistance. I have a great lawyer that helped me with an ex who violated my privacy and kept harassing me on MySpace and Facebook. He's very good. And there is legal precedent. - linuxpro

He is hold back the legion of boom - skater18000
    SmokinHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon May 08, 2017 2:52 pm
  • SmokinHawk wrote:Who knew that espousing hard-left social justice politics during sports related broadcasts would result in an alienated viewership?

ESPN needs to go the way of the dodo. Hollywood in general needs to go along with them.

You really think this is the cause? Not the over expansion of the network in the face of overall declining cable subscriptions? It's this stupid self satisfied pet theory thrown out by sour grapes winners of the election?

Do you know what the word causality means or is that a bit too 'science' for you? Do you know what a specious argument is? It's like you don't even want to think critically any longer and I'm being generous that you actually did at one point.
    mrt144
    NET Veteran

Mon May 08, 2017 4:07 pm
  • Michael Smith called every city in America racist. Oh boy here we go.
    ImageImageImageImageImage
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:41 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information