Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

2017 Seattle Mariners regular season thread

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • Nice to see that Dyson 1B/Z 2 run HR make a comeback. Don't think we've seen that since Jun.

:2thumbs:
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• Has Alfanso had a hit yet?
    Velencia is gotta be wondering WTF.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

• Bobblehead wrote:Has Alfanso had a hit yet?
    Velencia is gotta be wondering WTF.

I think he got one against KC IIRC. :34853_doh:

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• M's just hate hurdles.. the hurdle to get over .500
    now it's the hurdle to contend for a wild card.
    F we suck.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

• 2 days in a row brilliant Servais refuses to take somebody out.
    Smellyman
    NET Veteran

• No lead is safe with these clowns. I wouldn't feel comfortable with a 11 run lead
    Touchdooooooown SEAHAWKS!!!!
    Seahaaaawks
    NET Veteran

• How do you let Moore stay in there after loading the bases. And then let him give up 3 more hits before pulling him? My god.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

• Phoooey
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

• Whatever It Takes
    Smellyman
    NET Veteran

• I'm speechless. It just doesn't get more Mariner than it did tonight.
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran

• Frigging M's. Paxton now out out for 6 weeks. JFC, what did the M's do to piss off the baseball gods? This season was such a tease. I think ownership, the GM and coach are solid now, but JFC, the injuries to the starting pitchers staff is historic.

Paxton going down is the last nail in this years coffin. And that sucks, this team has the talent in all phases except starting pitching to compete.
    irocdave
    NET Veteran

"Soon, the super karate monkey death car would park in my space. But Jimmy has fancy plans, and pants to match."

- Excerpt from Jimmy James: Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• ya i just don't get putting Moore in there...

im going to the game tomorrow....hopefully they win
    ImageImageImageImageImage
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

• Crizilla wrote:ya i just don't get putting Moore in there...

im going to the game tomorrow....hopefully they win

and then leaving him there.
    Smellyman
    NET Veteran

• WTF even having Moore in the game at all as a setup man? A close, important game and Servais leaves him out there and watches our lead go down the shitter. Servais just does not handle his pen correctly at all-from overusing Vincent last year to bizarre moves like this.

And until Alonso learns to hit at Safeco, (he's IIRC now under .200 lifetime) leave Valencia in the lineup. Valencia's defense is night and day better than Alonso as well. And I've said it before but again, just keep Heredia in the lineup over Martin. Martin had a nice homer the other night but hasn't been nearly as consistent as Heredia.
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

• West TX Hawk wrote:WTF even having Moore in the game at all as a setup man? A close, important game and Servais leaves him out there and watches our lead go down the shitter. Servais just does not handle his pen correctly at all-from overusing Vincent last year to bizarre moves like this.

And until Alonso learns to hit at Safeco, (he's IIRC now under .200 lifetime) leave Valencia in the lineup. Valencia's defense is night and day better than Alonso as well. And I've said it before but again, just keep Heredia in the lineup over Martin. Martin had a nice homer the other night but hasn't been nearly as consistent as Heredia.

Servais lost me when he put the shift on for the slapper Aoki, who played for him! Of course he slapped one into right the beat the Mariners early this season. It is hard to be a bad manager, but Servais manages (ha) to do it.

Agree with Heredia, he just does everything to win. Valencia/Alonso? Alonso is having an outlier year and even then it is not great. Valencia is the better baseball player. That is on Dipoto though.
    Smellyman
    NET Veteran

• C'mon Manny

Can't anybody be smart out there?

Send Alonzo? He's running with a piano on his back.
    Smellyman
    NET Veteran

• PATHETIC

booooooo!!!
    Smellyman
    NET Veteran

• Cursed! We are the new cubs. Or the Browns of baseball. That patch on their jerseys should say "40 years of heartache"
    Touchdooooooown SEAHAWKS!!!!
    Seahaaaawks
    NET Veteran

• All that is missing is a fork.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

• We just don't have a sustainable product. A gritty team but too many pitching injuries and a sporadic offense, particularly at home, will define the 2017 chapter.
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

• They done!!!
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Pretty pathetic to get swept by the Angels on Martinez weekend.

I know, it hasn't happened yet, but even if we win the getaway game, what real difference will it make? I hate the Angels.

:34853_doh:

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• DiPoto failed the team on starting pitching. He didn't have a strategy to get quality after the Smyly, Felix, Kuma, and Paxton went down. Even with them healthy, the pitching has been average at best all year. For the improved hitting that has happened, the overall pitching has gone wayside. That's why they will end up with a worse record than last year. Good pitching beats good hitting most of the time. Currently, they don't have a starting pitcher that can be relied on to go more than 5 innings. That's a lot of pressure on the bullpen. No wonder they can't keep leads, etc. The relievers are overworked and have nothing left.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

• Any particular reason why Erasmo, with only 85 pitches, couldn't go one more inning?
    "We have an opportunity to win multiple Super Bowls."
    -Russell Wilson
    Threedee
    NET Veteran

• Threedee wrote:Any particular reason why Erasmo, with only 85 pitches, couldn't go one more inning?

I think he was pitching long relief before we traded for him so his arm isn't ready for 100 pitches yet. My guess is next start he'll probably be able to throw 95. If there was a bright spot from yesterday he looked good. Have to think Phelps probably would have been pitching instead of Lawrence yesterday if he was healthy, When it rains it pours.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

• I wonder how many GM's have a strategy for "getting quality" when 80% of the starting rotation goes down repeatedly and for extended periods?
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

• Chapow wrote:I wonder how many GM's have a strategy for "getting quality" when 80% of the starting rotation goes down repeatedly and for extended periods?

Doesn't account for the bats going ice cold 3 times a week. :34853_doh:

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• Our 3rd base coach is a joke. Seeing him send alonso live in person was hilarious.
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

• Just 13 runs scored in 4 games at home. The collapse continues.
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

• West TX Hawk wrote:Just 13 runs scored in 4 games at home. The collapse continues.

This team continues to find new and more painful ways to lose. This time it was "get all the way up to the WC spot, then have a huge homestand crowd due to number retiring, get actual quality pitching from your crap sp. only to blow it via Pen and defensive blunders"
    gowazzu02
    NET Veteran

• gowazzu02 wrote:
    West TX Hawk wrote:Just 13 runs scored in 4 games at home. The collapse continues.

This team continues to find new and more painful ways to lose. This time it was "get all the way up to the WC spot, then have a huge homestand crowd due to number retiring, get actual quality pitching from your crap sp. only to blow it via Pen and defensive blunders"

Don't forget the bone headed gaffes running the bases. :34853_doh:

This was, without a doubt, the most disappointing weekend of Mariners 'baseball' this season.

:(

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• The Mariners added some triple-digit heat Monday to their bullpen by recalling right-hander Thyago Vieira from Triple-A Tacoma prior to their series opener against Baltimore at Safeco Field.

Vieira, 24, compiled a 3.18 ERA in seven outings for the Rainiers following a July 19 promotion from Double-A Arkansas, where he was 2-3 with a 3.72 ERA 29 games.

"Oh, yeah, I’m ready," Vieira said. "If the guys call you up, you have to be ready. When you have an opportunity, you have to prepare yourself for it. I’ve been ready of this moment. I have to show that right now."

The Mariners cleared space for Vieira by optioning veteran right-hander Christian Bergman to Tacoma after Sunday’s 4-2 loss to the Los Angeles Angels.

http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/ml ... 72302.html
    In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• I have a self imposed viewing ban. They are just too infuriating to watch.
    Smellyman
    NET Veteran

• 2nd inning and this one is over already. This team has given up.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

• XxXdragonXxX wrote:2nd inning and this one is over already. This team has given up.

Glad I have a viewing ban on.

Team place like their manager....Passive and dumb.
    Smellyman
    NET Veteran

• I'm not watching anymore either. I still don't agree with many of Servais' decisions this season but right now the injury bug is just too much. I have a feeling the offense mentally isn't there because they know just as well as we do that they're gonna have to put up some serious crooked numbers to compete. Go Seahawks
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

• It's been years since I've seen a team just outright shit on itself and choke away a playoff berth in less than a week. Injuries or not, they're playing like a 100 loss team right now. Worst homestand in no telling how long.
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

• Chapow wrote:I wonder how many GM's have a strategy for "getting quality" when 80% of the starting rotation goes down repeatedly and for extended periods?

You mean like when Richards, Heaney, Skaggs, Shoemaker and Tropeano all go down at once?

The one team the M's can't use the excuse of pitching injuries against is the Angels. Rotation decimated, top bullpen pieces also injured. Trout out for 2 months. Yet still kept themselves around - with some great pickups. Dipoto is an awful GM and no doubt people will realise this soon enough. Servais just a yes man
    Storts
    NET Rookie

• Storts wrote:
    Chapow wrote:I wonder how many GM's have a strategy for "getting quality" when 80% of the starting rotation goes down repeatedly and for extended periods?

You mean like when Richards, Heaney, Skaggs, Shoemaker and Tropeano all go down at once?

The one team the M's can't use the excuse of pitching injuries against is the Angels. Rotation decimated, top bullpen pieces also injured. Trout out for 2 months. Yet still kept themselves around - with some great pickups. Dipoto is an awful GM and no doubt people will realise this soon enough. Servais just a yes man

Except the Mariners were equally decimated and also hung around through it all, when most of the team came back they got themselves into a wild card spot, and then everyone got hurt again. 5 games ago this team had sole posession of a wildcard spot. I think this 2nd round of injuries may ruin their heart though.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

• Not sure if anyone's watching the Manures anymore (I certainly don't blame you if you're not) but we somehow managed to win one tonight. Albers, the guy they got from Atlanta pitched very solid. Still only 3 runs scored on offense-that's what we've averaged this horrid homestand.

Gonzalez v. Ubaldo Jimenez tomorrow-don't want to ingest any false hope, but there's a chance the bats could come alive in a day game against struggling Ubaldo and we get back to .500 before the long road trip. Going on the road where this team is actually capable of scoring might be the best remedy.
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

• Storts wrote:
    Chapow wrote:I wonder how many GM's have a strategy for "getting quality" when 80% of the starting rotation goes down repeatedly and for extended periods?

To be honest, I don't know. I don't pay close enough attention to other teams to know what their injury situation is.

But that sounds awfully similar to what the M's have gone through this season who have also kept themselves around and are, in fact, still in contention for a wild card spot, just behind the Angels.

And yet, Dipoto is awful and Servais is just a yes man while the Angels have done an admirable job apparently. :hmmmm:
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

• This guy on another forum is trying to convince me that Dyson is the best defensive OF the Mariners ever had.
    WTF?
    ZorntoLargent
    NET Veteran

• I remember some guy named Griffey that was pretty good. ;)

Dyson is a pretty damn good defensive OF though. Best ever? Probably not. Very, very good? Absolutely.

Edit to add: Did you see that play he made last night, throwing a guy out at home from the outfield? Helluva play. Robbed the O's of a run.
    Last edited by Chapow on Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

• I think with all the pitching staff injuries,the M's have done much better than my expectations.
    You cannot get to the playoffs with a bunch of castoffs pitching,it just will not happen.
    We have some nice pieces on this team.The future looks better than it has the last few years.
    Some day we will all look back on these last few years and have a good laugh.
    The Hawks got one and so will the Mariners one year.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• Chapow wrote:I remember some guy named Griffey that was pretty good. ;)

Dyson is a pretty damn good defensive OF though. Best ever? Probably not. Very, very good? Absolutely.

Edit to add: Did you see that play he made last night, throwing a guy out at home from the outfield? Helluva play. Robbed the O's of a run.

I did see it. I think he had two great throws, which generated this convo with the guy.
    But two great throws and some great catches doesn't equate to the TEN Gold Gloves Junior has.
    ZorntoLargent
    NET Veteran

• ZorntoLargent wrote:
    Chapow wrote:I remember some guy named Griffey that was pretty good. ;)

I did see it. I think he had two great throws, which generated this convo with the guy.
    But two great throws and some great catches doesn't equate to the TEN Gold Gloves Junior has.

OK, I believe the guys in the booth have been saying that Dyson leads the league in OF assists this season, so there's that. Difficult to compare them, though. Jr will always be the M's fan favorite in CF. Junior never had corner fielders around him like our OF, either. Never had a LF that would stick. So I'd go KGJ, Dyson, and Cam I guess.

Offensively, you have to go with Junior, TBS.

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• C'mon Edwin for cryin out loud... :pray:
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

• Just barely escaped that one. Diaz has been great overall but biy can he throw a stinker once in a while.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

• Ichiro was pretty good, he didn't climb the walls like Griffy or Cameron could but still was a great defender and players didn't run on him.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:08 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information