2016/2017 Seattle Mariners offseason thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seahaaaawks

Reaction score
Haha!
Please get rid of Cishek, Vincent, and Marte. That'd be the best start to their offseason ever.

Hawker

Reaction score
Marte is very young, and at only $500K salary, I say designate him to Tacoma next year at least for the first half of the season. He - like many young players in this organization - was called up too early.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Above and bring back Brandon Marrow,he looked great with the Brewers and the stuff he had was nasty.I think he would be happy to come back

Hawker

Reaction score
I'm sure Dipoto will be very active between now and March.

Moves I'd like to see:

Designate to AAA:
Dan Vogelbach
Adrian Sampson (IR)
Cody Martin
David Rollins
Ketel Marte
Ben Gamel

Release:
Hishashi Iwakuma (FA)
Adam Lind (FA)
Norichika Aoki (FA)
Franklin Gutierrez (FA)
Nate Karns (IR)
Steve Clevenger (IR)

Resign:
Dae-ho Lee (current contract was for a mere $1M)
Drew Storen

Trade/Release:
Chris Iannetta
Steve Cishek
Vidal Nuno
Nick Vincent
Tom Wilhelmsen
Arquimedes Caminero
Mike Freeman
Pat Venditte

Keep:
Cano/Seager/Sucre/Zunino/Martin/Heredia/Cruz/O'Malley/Altavilla/Smith/Scribner/Furbush/Cook/Diaz/Hernandez/Walker/Paxton/Miranda

sutz

Reaction score
I have to believe there is room for O'Malley next season and perhaps beyond. It would be tempting to put him in as a full time SS, but at least having a switch hitting utility guy that can play almost anywhere in the OF/IF would be a valuable asset.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
What to do with Felix Hernandez? He's not as dominant as he used to be plus he's getting older. I wonder if they consider trading him while he may have some value to other teams.

sutz

Reaction score
hawkfan68":21zbpbf4 said:
What to do with Felix Hernandez? He's not as dominant as he used to be plus he's getting older. I wonder if they consider trading him while he may have some value to other teams.
IDK, I'm too much of a sentimentalist to make a rational choice. He hasn't been a true #1, stopper kind of starter for a year or two, but I'd still like to keep him around. The team is getting more used to playing into late summer, and are only a few games away, assuming we don't regress. As our #2/3 starter, I'm sure he could still win 15 or so games for us.

Crizilla

Reaction score
As much as Aoki sucks in the outfield, he had a hot hitting 2nd half....id rather see smith or Lind go

Overall offense was good enough it's the pitching that needs a lot of work

mbtitleist

Reaction score
Crizilla":bh4f7q60 said:
As much as Aoki sucks in the outfield, he had a hot hitting 2nd half....id rather see smith or Lind go

Overall offense was good enough it's the pitching that needs a lot of work

I wasn't a fan of Aoki but he really did turn it on once he came back in the 2nd half of the season. He hit .338 in August and .371 from September on.

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Trading Felix would make this team worse. Felix needs to come in to next season in better shape, both physically and mentally. His mental game was horrific the last half of the season. He needs to be a pitcher and less of a thrower and be smarter with pitch selection since he doesn't throw 97 anymore. He needs to go "Jamie Moyer" on the mental part of
pitching. All very fixable if he commits to it.

Aoki was a butcher on defense, no thanks, they need help in the outfield. Need a real shortstop, I see O'Malley as a poor mans Mclemore. I like the kid they got from the Yankees late, but he seems more like a 4th outfielder type.

I expect significant moves from Seattle in the offeseason.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
The needs this offseason are pretty obvious to me (in no particular order).

1. We need a starting SS. Marte just didn't cut it.

2. Improve the bullpen. Shouldn't be too hard. Rebuilding a bullpen is one of the easier things to fix.

3. Get a corner outfielder, someone who can preferrably hit for power.

4. Find a first basemen. I'm pretty sure Lind and Lee are both free agents. First base has been a revolving door for quite some time, would be nice to find someone who can hold down that spot for the near future.

5. Get a starting pitcher or two. Unfortunately, the free agent market for starting pitchers is really weak. I think the two best SP's on the market are both 35+ years old, Colon and Rich Hill. I don't see anyone dishing out money to Colon at 43 years old. We may have to swing a trade for a starting pitcher. We have some really solid pitchers, but we don't have a guy to lead the rotation.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Felix is untradable at this point because of the money he's due, along with his eroded skills. He's still a solid pitcher, but not a dominant top guy. The Mariners brass held onto him for to long because the loved selling the kings court and everything with it. A smart gm would have landed a kings ransom for him, and we would have some solid young guys right now thanks to it.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
CPHawk":2rkhqvf7 said:
Felix is untradable at this point because of the money he's due, along with his eroded skills. He's still a solid pitcher, but not a dominant top guy. The Mariners brass held onto him for to long because the loved selling the kings court and everything with it. A smart gm would have landed a kings ransom for him, and we would have some solid young guys right now thanks to it.
I wanted this to happen a couple years ago(get a kings ransom)but who are we?The guy did take a smaller than market contract to stay with the M's,he loves Seattle and he has a no trade clause if I'm right.So we can only hope he tries harder to be in shape and gets whatever is bothering him fixed so we can see a better Felix next year

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
IndyHawk":1nbn27f3 said:
CPHawk":1nbn27f3 said:
I wanted this to happen a couple years ago(get a kings ransom)but who are we?The guy did take a smaller than market contract to stay with the M's,he loves Seattle and he has a no trade clause if I'm right.So we can only hope he tries harder to be in shape and gets whatever is bothering him fixed so we can see a better Felix next year

Definitely vital for any chance at the postseason next year that Felix makes some adjustments and rebounds next season. He needs better fastball command and to pitch on the corners more. He's no longer a major league power pitcher and needs to adjust accordingly.

I think M's GMs in the past were afraid of dealing him. I would not put it past Dipoto to shop around somewhat but with his contract and consecutive declining seasons, no real buyers are out there. King's Court fans are basically rooting for a guy who's no longer an ace, but more like a back of the rotation guy. Maybe he'll have a better year in '17.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":1x8czkow said:
The needs this offseason are pretty obvious to me (in no particular order).

1. We need a starting SS. Marte just didn't cut it.

2. Improve the bullpen. Shouldn't be too hard. Rebuilding a bullpen is one of the easier things to fix.

3. Get a corner outfielder, someone who can preferrably hit for power.

4. Find a first basemen. I'm pretty sure Lind and Lee are both free agents. First base has been a revolving door for quite some time, would be nice to find someone who can hold down that spot for the near future.

5. Get a starting pitcher or two. Unfortunately, the free agent market for starting pitchers is really weak. I think the two best SP's on the market are both 35+ years old, Colon and Rich Hill. I don't see anyone dishing out money to Colon at 43 years old. We may have to swing a trade for a starting pitcher. We have some really solid pitchers, but we don't have a guy to lead the rotation.

Agree with much of your thinking. I cannot remember the last time we had a really productive and consistent left fielder. I'm curious what the outfield market will bring in free agency this offseason. 1B is indeed a need. Lee just wasn't quite consistent enough or LInd either. I would've liked to have seen O'Malley given more opportunities at SS to evaluate his long-term possibilities. Bullpen and another couple quality starting pitchers are certainly need, but of course that's the case for everybody.

One thing we can bank on is that Dipoto will not be quiet this offseason and will likely make some trades, sign some FAs and open up some competition for other positions. We don't know how much cash ownership is allowing him for FA acquisitions but rest assured he and Servais are aware of our biggest needs. Dipoto will likely make a couple initially head-scratching moves but only time will tell if they're wise or not. We still have a window and are really just a couple more power bats, a couple bullpen arms and a starting pitcher away from getting over the hump. Will be a very interesting winter.

Hawker

Reaction score
Cishek had surgery on his hip labrum and isn't expected to resume baseball activity for 6 months - leaving him on the IR to start the 2017 season, most likely.

Walker & Zych also had minor surgeries.

Club is going to pick up Seth Smith's option for next season. If they also pickup Aoki's team option, one of them is going to be a bargaining chip.

Also sounds like we are going after Zack Cozart (SS, Reds). Career .250 hitter / .290 OBP - a relatively cheap, veteran upgrade over Marte'.

Status
Not open for further replies.