Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

NHL to announce opening of formal expansion process

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • Central location too, if you think of Seattle, Bellevue and Tacoma(and all south end) as a triangle. Center of it all.
    13 miles from downtown Seattle, about 13 miles from Bellevue, and 22 miles to Tacoma.
    Long you live and high you fly, and smiles you’ll give and tears you’ll cry, and all you touch and all you see Is all your life will ever be
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

• twisted_steel2 wrote:Central location too, if you think of Seattle, Bellevue and Tacoma(and all south end) as a triangle. Center of it all.
    13 miles from downtown Seattle, about 13 miles from Bellevue, and 22 miles to Tacoma.

Yep, the only downside to Tukwila is does it mean it'll be harder for Hansen to get his arena built if there's no hockey tenant..........or at least the attractiveness of a future hockey tenant?
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Sounds like Mayor Murray reached out to Coleman and the Nordstroms, huh.

http://www.king5.com/story/news/local/s ... /29493307/

Also:

Long you live and high you fly, and smiles you’ll give and tears you’ll cry, and all you touch and all you see Is all your life will ever be
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

• http://www.si.com/nhl/2015/07/07/nhl-expansion-team-process-begins-seattle-las-vegas-quebec-kansas-city

....And, they're off!

I personally believe Vegas will get one, and the other will be between Seattle and Quebec City. Seattle's advantage is that the NHL would prefer to expand in the west because of the unbalanced conferences, while Quebec City's advantage is that they already have an NHL ready arena nearing completion.

This will be an interesting couple of months.
    "Soon, the super karate monkey death car would park in my space. But Jimmy has fancy plans, and pants to match."

- Excerpt from Jimmy James: Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• I don't think the arena situation between the two cities is that big a deal.

An arena that is already built, versus an arena that will be built by the time the expansion team plays its first game. Last I heard the Tukwila arena is scheduled to be completed by 2017, expansion team wouldnt start until the 2017 season..... :Dunno:

As long as the NHL is satisfied and confident the arena here in Tukwila will be completed on time, we should be on equal standing in that regard.

PS At this point I dont think the Sodo arena, with Hansen and or Coleman is even in the running. The red tape of contracts between the two, and trying to get the MOU changed with Seattle, that's gonna take years. This all has to be done in weeks.
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

• twisted_steel2 wrote:
    As long as the NHL is satisfied and confident the arena here in Tukwila will be completed on time, we should be on equal standing in that regard.

Don't forget though that this is only one of many factors the NHL will be vetting. They also have to look over the arena plans, location logistics and most importantly don't forget that Tukwila is in King County...........so if Dow Constantine and the other King County council members show strong resistance to the Tukwila site because they're already heavily invested in the SoDo arena project, that could prove troublesome for the NHL if they choose Tukwila.

I don't care, I just want hockey. But I also don't want hockey in Tukwila if that means the death of getting our Sonics back, which is a very real possiblity if the NHL goes to Tukwila.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• The King County council thing is interesting, hadn't thought of that potential road block.

Let's say they do prefer Sodo... wonder how much influence they really have as its a privately funded arena? If public money is involved, sure they're all involved and talking it to death for years.

But a private investor spending his own $$ on his own land? In combination with the city fast tracking it?
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

• twisted_steel2 wrote:The King County council thing is interesting, hadn't thought of that potential road block.

Let's say they do prefer Sodo... wonder how much influence they really have as its a privately funded arena? If public money is involved, sure they're all involved and talking it to death for years.

But a private investor spending his own $$ on his own land? In combination with the city fast tracking it?

I'd like to think the councils would cooperate with whichever site is chosen by the NHL, especially if the Tukwila site is 100% privately funded. But I'm not naive, all I've ever known politicians to do is what's best for them, not what's best for us.

So it wouldn't surprise me in the least if a number of King County council members start throwing up roadblocks on the Tukwila site.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• twisted_steel2 wrote:The King County council thing is interesting, hadn't thought of that potential road block.

Maybe a dumb question but is there any city that has separate but modern hockey and basketball arenas? (I don't really follow either sport but would probably watch a Seattle NHL team). Tukwila looks to be way ahead in the planning with less red tape (along with the resistance from the port and the Mariners in the downtown arena). Would a Tukwila stadium be designed to host NBA as well?

If so and the arena gets built, I think the downtown arena is dead as a dodo. Why pay for an NBA stadium when Tukwila could both?

I preferred any hockey/basketball arena to be beside the other stadiums as it would be one bus ride till I realized that Tukwila is right beside the light rail.

Would hate any Bellevue arena.

Also...why does Portland not have an NHL team? Isn't the Moda Center state of the art? Would be an instant rivalry with Vancouver and i'm sure it would be supported.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• Also, if either site gets built, what happens to Key Arena?

I imagine any concerts that Key Arena host would be there and that the Storm etc would play there in the off season as it's more modern. Even if the Storm didn't, could Key Arena survive with only the Storm and Seattle U (if they stayed) as tenants without concert revenue?
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• Glasgow Seahawk wrote:
    Also...why does Portland not have an NHL team? Isn't the Moda Center state of the art? Would be an instant rivalry with Vancouver and i'm sure it would be supported.

The Moda Center is owned by Paul Allen's group and is built to NHL spec's, his front office has many ex NHL execs now working for him. (this changed about 3 years ago I believe) I believe he is open to the idea, but paying 500 million for a "franchise fee" is just dumb, I believe his group is waiting to swoop in and buy a team on the cheap (coyotes or panthers)

why pay 500 million for a franchise fee when you could buy the Coyotes whom according to Forbes have a value of about 150 million?
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

• Sgt. Largent wrote:
    twisted_steel2 wrote:

Don't forget though that this is only one of many factors the NHL will be vetting. They also have to look over the arena plans, location logistics and most importantly don't forget that Tukwila is in King County...........so if Dow Constantine and the other King County council members show strong resistance to the Tukwila site because they're already heavily invested in the SoDo arena project, that could prove troublesome for the NHL if they choose Tukwila.

I don't care, I just want hockey. But I also don't want hockey in Tukwila if that means the death of getting our Sonics back, which is a very real possiblity if the NHL goes to Tukwila.

I want the NHL, and the NBA can <censored as this isn't a shacked forum>!!!!!
    Being a northender I'd prefer it not be Tukwila as I'd have to drive thru Seattle to get there, but if it means we get a NHL team then so be it. :th2thumbs:
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Sounding like a group from Toronto, Tukwilla, Quebec, Vegas and Bellevue have thrown their offers into the ring.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

• CPHawk wrote:Sounding like a group from Toronto, Tukwilla, Quebec, Vegas and Bellevue have thrown their offers into the ring.

Bellevue....?
    dopeboy206
    NET Veteran

• Glasgow Seahawk wrote:
    twisted_steel2 wrote:The King County council thing is interesting, hadn't thought of that potential road block.

Maybe a dumb question but is there any city that has separate but modern hockey and basketball arenas?

Not a dumb question, but Suns/Coyotes and Heat/Panthers come to mind.
    kobebryant
    NET Veteran

• Dumb questions when do they pick the two teams????
    dopeboy206
    NET Veteran

• dopeboy206 wrote:Dumb questions when do they pick the two teams????

Most of the articles I've read said fall or early winter is when the NHL would make the announcement.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• kobebryant wrote:
    Glasgow Seahawk wrote:
    twisted_steel2 wrote:The King County council thing is interesting, hadn't thought of that potential road block.

Maybe a dumb question but is there any city that has separate but modern hockey and basketball arenas?

Not a dumb question, but Suns/Coyotes and Heat/Panthers come to mind.

And both of those NHL teams are in big trouble right now......it could be coincidence
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

• http://nypost.com/2015/06/30/arizona-co ... new-owner/

Sin City is getting hockey, two sources close to the situation told The Post.

Sources.... hhhhmmmm

Coyotes to Vegas, Seattle and Quebec City get expansions. Everyone is happy!!!

twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

• Sgt. Largent wrote:
    dopeboy206 wrote:Dumb questions when do they pick the two teams????

Most of the articles I've read said fall or early winter is when the NHL would make the announcement.

Cool bro. Thanks for that info.
    dopeboy206
    NET Veteran

• GIVE ME A NHL TEAM IN SEATTLE NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nothing new, just had to have a little outburst.... :)

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Sports Hernia wrote:GIVE ME A NHL TEAM IN SEATTLE NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Take it for what it's worth...... but Seth Everett (who was filling in for Softy) spoke to a NHL insider that said Seattle's odds were really really good if they submit a bid, and regardless of what happens next week, it's not a matter of if, but WHEN Seattle gets an NHL team. I like the sound of that :lol: :th2thumbs:

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Sports Hernia wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:GIVE ME A NHL TEAM IN SEATTLE NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Take it for what it's worth...... but Seth Everett (who was filling in for Softy) spoke to a NHL insider that said Seattle's odds were really really good if they submit a bid, and regardless of what happens next week, it's not a matter of if, but WHEN Seattle gets an NHL team. I like the sound of that :lol: :th2thumbs:

Now I am hard
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

• CurryStopstheRuns wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:GIVE ME A NHL TEAM IN SEATTLE NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I am hard

twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

• Deadline is Monday for a $10 million NHL expansion application — $2 million of which is non-refundable.
    hawknation2015
    NET Veteran

• I knew those two couldn't get their acts together. :(

twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

• twisted_steel2 wrote:I knew those two couldn't get their acts together. :(

smdh.................................fantastic opportunity wasted.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• I honestly have to questin Hansen's intentions tbh. I understand he wants an NBA team, but the chances of that happening soon are much less than the NHL. The NHL WANTS to be in Seattle. I honestly don't trust nor like Hansen, something about him just rubs me wrong (appropriately speaking of course)
    Conference Championship: NFC: 2005, 2013, 2014
    Division Campionship: AFC West: 1988, 1999 NFC West: 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2013, 2014
    Superbowl Championship: 2013 XLVIII Final Score: Sea 43 Den 8

The Radish
    Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:10 pm: Please don't offend The Fonz like that. :roll:
    :les:
    Exittium
    NET Veteran

• Alot of info on Geoff Baker's twitter:

https://twitter.com/GeoffBakerTIMES

:Dunno:
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

• So same ole same ole, talk is cheap, Cities and Politicians all say how great it would be, then when the time comes to put up and back up your talk they all run to the hills and blame the voters or the councils or someone else.

Just makes my disdain for Shultz all the more justified, could have sold to Balmer, we would have the Sonics, the Arena and with this a Hockey team.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• chris98251 wrote:So same ole same ole, talk is cheap, Cities and Politicians all say how great it would be, then when the time comes to put up and back up your talk they all run to the hills and blame the voters or the councils or someone else.

Just makes my disdain for Shultz all the more justified, could have sold to Balmer, we would have the Sonics, the Arena and with this a Hockey team.

I understand your frustration and feel it myself, and I completely understand the wait and see attitude.
    The difference is he NHL wants to be here bad vs the NBA that maybe wants to be here if their 100+ conditions are met.

The NHL will be coming to Seattle, it's just a matter of when. The NBA? who knows.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• At the bottom of the article, no bids from Seattle expected. I wonder if Seattle eyeing a relocation instead.

http://www.tsn.ca/quebecor-confirms-nhl ... d-1.333619

Shy
    Just remember, football is 80% mental and 40% physical.
    Little Giants (1994) – Steve Emtman
    ShyCheetah
    NET Starter

• Interesting, thats the first place I've seen that says no bids will come from here.... maybe they just mean 'Seattle' as in the Sodo arena, Coleman/Hansen bid.

And not the Ray Bartoszek/Tukwila bid. Guess we'll see today.
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

• I have no more confidence in any of these groups. I mean the Tukwila group has 40 mins to get their bid in and I just don't see our happening.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• Exittium wrote:I honestly have to questin Hansen's intentions tbh. I understand he wants an NBA team, but the chances of that happening soon are much less than the NHL. The NHL WANTS to be in Seattle. I honestly don't trust nor like Hansen, something about him just rubs me wrong (appropriately speaking of course)

Put yourself in Hansen's position. The dude's already shelled out literally millions and millions of dollars to purchase real estate, pay for plans, the EIS, and who knows what else.............and he still doesn't have an NBA team, nor even a sniff of one right now.

So if an NHL owner group wants to bring hockey to Seattle, Hansen has to make sure THEY pay for all the changes, replanning and jumping through the political hoops, not him.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• So no bids at all from Seattle, not even Ray Bartoszek group. :x

Only Vegas and Quebec City.

Bummer.

Already privately funding arena, tough to come up with another $500 million for expansion fee. :Dunno:

Seriously bummed
    Last edited by twisted_steel2 on Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

I copied this link from another forum.
    The LOLs of the many outweigh the shame of the few
    Msfann
    NET Veteran

• Really hard not to just start to feel like nothing good will ever happen on the NBA/NHL front for Seattle. Ever.
    jkitsune
    NET Veteran

• twisted_steel2 wrote:So no bids at all from Seattle, not even Ray Bartoszek group. :x

Only Vegas and Quebec City.

Bummer.

Already privately funding arena, tough to come up with another $500 million for expansion fee. :Dunno:

Seriously bummed

Yeah it's a temporary pisser! I hoping that GB works some David Stern like shenanigans if he really really wants a team soon in Seattle.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Bigtime bummer, but it's hard to blame Bartoszek for not wanting to pay that insanely high franchise fee AND pay for a 100% fully privately funded arena.

This isn't over, once Tukwila gets their EIS done and gives Bartoszek the go ahead to start looking for a franchise my guess is he's going to look for a struggling franchise.

Hell, who knows, maybe the league will give Vegas the new franchise and let Bartosezek purchase the Coyotes in a year or two when we're further down the road with the arena.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Can someone tell me how far along that Tukwila plan is?
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Throwdown wrote:Can someone tell me how far along that Tukwila plan is?

The land's been purchased and last week I read they were trying to get the EIS done ASAP to meet the deadline.

But from all the reports, it wasn't the site or anything to do with Tukwila that Bartoszek balked at, it was 100% the crazy 500 million franchise fee.

Last I read Bartoszek's net worth is only around 1 billion. I know ONLY 1 billion, but that's not a lot when you're solely responsible for purchasing the land, paying the 500 million franchise fee AND privately funding a new arena. Seems like all that would be well north of 1 Billion, the guy's entire net worth.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• NHL gets real dang snarky with expansion groups that missed deadline

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2015/7 ... d-deadline
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

• twisted_steel2 wrote:
    NHL gets real dang snarky with expansion groups that missed deadline

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2015/7 ... d-deadline

Lol.

For a league seemingly always on the brink of financial hardship constantly crying about labor negotiations, low TV ratings and half it's franchises in the red, you'd think they'd be more accommodating and understanding of ownership groups like Bartoszek balking at not only an insane franchise fee............but a crazy short two week period in which to get an arena plan in place.

IMO the owners thought there would be at least 4-5 groups, if not more running for their wallets to pay them 500 million to divide up amongst themselves. So SB Nation is right, that statement right there is 100% butthurt on the leagues part.

I'm sure Bartoszek and the other serious ownership groups would like to know where the hell the league pulled 500 million from, when almost 2/3rd's of it's franchises are worth less than that. Established franchises, not new ones that are going to take a BEATING for 5-10 years trying to win with minor league players.

http://www.forbes.com/nhl-valuations/#p ... asc_search:
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• This 500 Million dollar fee has been talked about for quite a while, how could he NOT know it was going to be expensive.
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

• ShyCheetah wrote:A glimmer of hope. The NHL may be stalling expansion process for Seattle.

http://www.tsn.ca/talent/expansion-draf ... e-1.405905

The 11th prediction is of particular interest.

http://www.tsn.ca/talent/mondaymustread ... 0-1.405421

Shy

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl-remains-in-contac ... s-1.406167

PEBBLE BEACH, Calif. — Even though the NHL’s current expansion process only included applications from Las Vegas and Quebec City, the league has remained in contact with interested parties from Seattle.

“People continue to want to own a franchise in Seattle,” NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly said Tuesday. “But the issue there is there’s got to be an arena. Unless there’s an arena, there’s no prospect of a franchise.”

Some believe the NHL’s expansion process has slowed considerably in the last six months to wait and see if an arena does indeed materialize in the Pacific Northwest.

:shock: Please please please please
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

• you guys really want NHL hockey in your city? The NHL is garbage now...
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions 2014.02.02 Seahawks 43 Broncos 8
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:54 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information