Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

NHL to announce opening of formal expansion process

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • Cyrus12 wrote:you guys really want NHL hockey in your city? The NHL is garbage now...

Yes, it's much better than the craptastic NBA.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Cyrus12 wrote:you guys really want NHL hockey in your city? The NHL is garbage now...

Then don't go to any games. I for one will be in line for season tickets.
    Subzero717
    NET Pro Bowler

Uh yep!

Long you live and high you fly, and smiles you’ll give and tears you’ll cry, and all you touch and all you see Is all your life will ever be
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

• ShyCheetah wrote:The Commissioner doth protest too much, methinks.

http://www.tsn.ca/bettman-nhl-would-not ... e-1.431052

Shy

Yep, he really wanted a Seattle area bid to come in. It's his fault for raising the expansion fee to 500 million, he severely over played his hand in that regard.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Sports Hernia wrote:
    ShyCheetah wrote:The Commissioner doth protest too much, methinks.

Shy

Yep, he really wanted a Seattle area bid to come in. It's his fault for raising the expansion fee to 500 million, he severely over played his hand in that regard.

I think he played his hand well considering he got two cities to bite. That's a billion dollar influx. I also think Seattle would have stepped up if only they had a stadium plan in place ready to roll. All existing franchises just got more expensive. I imagine the NHL noticed the NFLs relocation fee and are planning something similar to boot. You pay either way.

Shy
    Just remember, football is 80% mental and 40% physical.
    Little Giants (1994) – Steve Emtman
    ShyCheetah
    NET Starter

• Where is Quebec getting $500 mill?
    Subzero717
    NET Pro Bowler

• Sports Hernia wrote:

Shy

Was the 500 million the sticking point?

Seems to me we had 2-3 serious groups interested in NHL franchises in Seattle AND Tukwila............then all of a sudden when it came time to pony up, they all ran for the hills.

To me this is all becoming one sick joke that our terrible city and county councils can't get their crap together long enough to approve Hansen's site. Delay after delay, roadblock after roadblock.

It's a microcosm for how dysfunctional and horrible our state and local government is when it comes to working together. Everyone has to carve out their piece of the pie, just like the national level. If I was Hansen I'd tell em all to go jump in a lake, I'm done. It's years beyond the point of ridiculous.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:

Shy

Seems to me we had 2-3 serious groups interested in NHL franchises in Seattle AND Tukwila............then all of a sudden when it came time to pony up, they all ran for the hills.

To me this is all becoming one sick joke that our terrible city and county councils can't get their crap together long enough to approve Hansen's site. Delay after delay, roadblock after roadblock.

It's a microcosm for how dysfunctional and horrible our state and local government is when it comes to working together. Everyone has to carve out their piece of the pie, just like the national level. If I was Hansen I'd tell em all to go jump in a lake, I'm done. It's years beyond the point of ridiculous.

I cannot argue with anything you wrote there. Seattle politics suck.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Sports Hernia wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:

Shy

I cannot argue with anything you wrote there. Seattle politics suck.

Unless it's adding toll lanes to back up more traffic and garner more revenue they can waste. Tunnel project is doing so well. :)

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• So what I'm getting following all the Sonics accounts on Twitter is the new new new new new new vote is too close to call, and the council members are all tired of this subject and don't think it's a priority right now because the NHL and NBA haven't expressed any interest in coming to Seattle.

Even though both HAVE expressed interest if we build a stadium.

Right there folks is our problem.

City and County: "Give us teams and we'll consider building"
    NHL and NBA: "No, you build the arena and we'll consider giving you a team"
    City and County: "No U"
    NHL and NBA: "No U"
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• It sounds like the NHL is probably expanding by 1 team this time around. The Las Vegas Black Knights. Door is still open for Seattle, even just a crack. The NHL is buying Seattle more time it seems.

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2016/04/18 ... to-happen/

Shy
    ShyCheetah
    NET Starter

• Interesting gossip. Las Vegas Hurricane? Expansion pushed back another year?

http://www.tsn.ca/talent/the-watercoole ... t-1.485149

Shy
    ShyCheetah
    NET Starter

• Sgt. Largent wrote:
    City and County: "Give us teams and we'll consider building"
    NHL and NBA: "No, you build the arena and we'll consider giving you a team"
    City and County: "No U"
    NHL and NBA: "No U"

Bingo :th2thumbs:
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

• The NHL wants to come here BAD, but they won't until there is a suitible arena, and Key Arena doesn't qualify.
    I think they are hoping and banking on Tukwila or Bellevue to jump into the arena game.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Subzero717 wrote:Where is Quebec getting $500 mill?

Pierre Karl Peladeau (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierre_Karl_P%C3%A9ladeau)

He recently got divorced and stepped down as the leader of the Parti Quebecois but he is the owner of a french media conglomerate (Quebecor) in Quebec. He has already built a ready to use arena (Pepsi Centre) in Quebec City to replace the aging Colissee.

I have no idea how or if this is going to come to fruition but my favorite team as a child was the Nordiques so I am anxiously awaiting their return.

Only Gary Bettman knows what the plan is...maybe Bill Daly as well
    soohawk
    NET Veteran

• The NHL watching the Raiders to Las Vegas closely. May not want to play second fiddle in an already uncertain market.

http://www.tsn.ca/the-watercooler-will- ... s-1.493290

Shy
    ShyCheetah
    NET Starter

• Jeezus. until you build an arena this is just stupidity, it's a pretty simple game except seattle is behind the eight ball, no one is going to come without an arena and no arena is built until someone is coming, they call that a catch 22... Unless somebody says screw it I am building regardless it ain't going to happen.
    Last edited by chris98251 on Sat May 21, 2016 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Reason: Edited for language not allowed in main forums
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

• m0ng0 wrote:Jeezus. until you build an arena this is just stupidity, it's a pretty simple game except seattle is behind the eight ball, no one is going to come without an arena and no arena is built until someone is coming, they call that a catch 22... Unless somebody says screw it I am building regardless it ain't going to happen.

We don't even have an arena plan anymore, SCC practically killed it.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• I have had high hopes for NHL in Seattle for years. And for years they've boned us with petty politics. Sadly, I don't see this changing any time soon, and so my hopes for this happening amount to this: I'm not holding out any hope at all, and no longer can get myself excited about it because they're just going to piss on my parade. When, if ever, it becomes a reality, a 100% for-certain inevitability, my excitement will return in full force. Until then, Seattle politics can bite me.
    "The ultimate number is W's, and that’s what matters in Santa Clara. As such, Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does." - Paul Gutierrez
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• yep i would support a team in Portland or Seattle, but I would rather see either place get an existing team over an expansion team.
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

• Seahawk Sailor wrote:I have had high hopes for NHL in Seattle for years. And for years they've boned us with petty politics. Sadly, I don't see this changing any time soon, and so my hopes for this happening amount to this: I'm not holding out any hope at all, and no longer can get myself excited about it because they're just going to piss on my parade. When, if ever, it becomes a reality, a 100% for-certain inevitability, my excitement will return in full force. Until then, Seattle politics can bite me.

Pretty much where I stand right now. The NHL wants to be here BAD, they just need an arena to play at (and no the Key isn't suitable for hockey). Leave it up to the moronic Seattle city council to screw this up. It's just sad on so many levels.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• NHL Executive Committee officially recommends expansion to Las Vegas. Full vote to be held on June 22.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/16203 ... -expansion

2014 Adopt-A-Rookie: Kiero Small
    2015 Adopt-A-Rookie: Tyler Lockett
    2016 Adopt-A-Rookie: Joey Hunt
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Sports Hernia wrote:

Shy

They should just move the Coyotes into Seattle. I would love to have a team down the I5. I could just see it now, go to a Saturday night hockey game against the Canucks, and then watch a Hawks game on Sunday. That would make for a great trip for me and the boys.
    "Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!"
    Ace_Rimmer
    NET Veteran

• Ace_Rimmer wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:

Shy

They should just move the Coyotes into Seattle. I would love to have a team down the I5. I could just see it now, go to a Saturday night hockey game against the Canucks, and then watch a Hawks game on Sunday. That would make for a great trip for me and the boys.

We were hours away from having them too in 2013. So close.
    Long you live and high you fly, and smiles you’ll give and tears you’ll cry, and all you touch and all you see Is all your life will ever be
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

• twisted_steel2 wrote:
    Ace_Rimmer wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:

Shy

We were hours away from having them too in 2013. So close.

It would be awesome if Seattle got a team. I am a fan of all the Seattle teams, so it would be weird rooting against them when they played the Nucks.
    Ace_Rimmer
    NET Veteran

• arizona coyotes are bettmans baby, he will not be allowing them to relocate anytime soon. case in point, the league ran the team at a deficit (iirc) for a few years until they were able to right the finances, build a decent roster, run it for pennies on the dollar and sell it to whoever could write the cheque. it took about 3 buyers before a real purchase could be conceived.

good news for the folks in seattle is that the league now has 31 teams (15 west and 16 east), so they will be moving another team from the east to the west as a relocation endeavor or they will expand again to right the schedules and provide even balanced conferences. shame your city council are a bunch of angry, spiteful emotionally damaged immature individuals who hate sports...when can you vote these smucks out of power?
    soohawk
    NET Veteran

• Anyone else get the feeling the NHL really wants Seattle to get it's $#!+ together so it can balance the conferences?
    "Soon, the super karate monkey death car would park in my space. But Jimmy has fancy plans, and pants to match."

- Excerpt from Jimmy James: Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• Maulbert wrote:Anyone else get the feeling the NHL really wants Seattle to get it's $#!+ together so it can balance the conferences?

It's not happening in Seattle, I'm convinced of that. The city council is a massive road block to getting anything done. No one is going to want to deal with what Hansen has been dealing with for years... its just futile dealing with the city. The Port of Seattle owns at least 5 council members, and then people like Bagshaw will not allow any arena to be built as long as the Key exist.

The only hope is someone like Bartoszek builds his own arena outside the city limits, and works with the NHL. But as we saw, there were apparently 3 groups interested in an expansion team, but they all ran for the hills when the $500 million fee was announced.

So who knows... maybe there are some super rich guys in the shadows preparing to get this all done. :roll:
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

• twisted_steel2 wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:Anyone else get the feeling the NHL really wants Seattle to get it's $#!+ together so it can balance the conferences?

It's not happening in Seattle, I'm convinced of that. The city council is a massive road block to getting anything done. No one is going to want to deal with what Hansen has been dealing with for years... its just futile dealing with the city. The Port of Seattle owns at least 5 council members, and then people like Bagshaw will not allow any arena to be built as long as the Key exist.

The only hope is someone like Bartoszek builds his own arena outside the city limits, and works with the NHL. But as we saw, there were apparently 3 groups interested in an expansion team, but they all ran for the hills when the $500 million fee was announced.

So who knows... maybe there are some super rich guys in the shadows preparing to get this all done. :roll:

I just meant it feels like the NHL really wants the PNW. Otherwise they would have awarded a 32nd franchise to Quebec City.
    "Soon, the super karate monkey death car would park in my space. But Jimmy has fancy plans, and pants to match."

Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• soohawk wrote:arizona coyotes are bettmans baby, he will not be allowing them to relocate anytime soon. case in point, the league ran the team at a deficit (iirc) for a few years until they were able to right the finances, build a decent roster, run it for pennies on the dollar and sell it to whoever could write the cheque. it took about 3 buyers before a real purchase could be conceived.

good news for the folks in seattle is that the league now has 31 teams (15 west and 16 east), so they will be moving another team from the east to the west as a relocation endeavor or they will expand again to right the schedules and provide even balanced conferences. shame your city council are a bunch of angry, spiteful emotionally damaged immature individuals who hate sports...when can you vote these smucks out of power?

Yes, the coyotes are the Sac Kings of the NHL.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Maulbert wrote:Anyone else get the feeling the NHL really wants Seattle to get it's $#!+ together so it can balance the conferences?

Yes, they want a natural rivalry with the Canucks, plus they view the Seattle market as an huge untapped revenue
    stream.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Bettman still trying to sell the game to the USA...Too bad was hoping Quebec would get it. Best rivalry in sports was Montreal vs Quebec.
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions 2014.02.02 Seahawks 43 Broncos 8
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

• Cyrus12 wrote:Bettman still trying to sell the game to the USA...Too bad was hoping Quebec would get it. Best rivalry in sports was Montreal vs Quebec.

The problem is, Quebec would geographically throw off what they went through realignment for.

Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• This is the new owner of the expansion Vegas hockey team.

https://twitter.com/BillFoleyHockey

He has ties to Seattle. :cry: :cry:

MBA from Seattle U.
    Degree from UW School of Law
    On advisory board for UW School of Law
    Owner of Walla Walla's Three Rivers Winery

But gets team for Las Vegas..... and I dont blame him at all. The local gov. probably rolled out the red carpet for him.
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

• Sports Hernia wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:Anyone else get the feeling the NHL really wants Seattle to get it's $#!+ together so it can balance the conferences?

Yes, they want a natural rivalry with the Canucks, plus they view the Seattle market as an huge untapped revenue
    stream.

I wouldn't be surprised if Canucks ownership has voiced their displeasure of a team in Seattle, as it may draw away from their fan base. Both Buffalo, and Toronto have been stumbling blocks in getting another team into the Ontario market.
    Ace_Rimmer
    NET Veteran

• Is the Tw*tter chick with the uppity hipster glasses a credible source? I searched for NHL to Seattle and found nothing new.
    fire_marshall_bill
    NET Practice Squad

• Ace_Rimmer wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:

stream.

I wouldn't be surprised if Canucks ownership has voiced their displeasure of a team in Seattle, as it may draw away from their fan base. Both Buffalo, and Toronto have been stumbling blocks in getting another team into the Ontario market.

I doubt it. The Canucks would have a problem if Surrey or Richmond or West Van got a team sure. Their goes one of their densest or richest fan concentrations. Which would be the case in TO if Markham got a team. I don't imagine leageons of Washingtonians comprise their season ticket base as is the case with Buffalo. TO is being a douche because it can. I highly doubt Buffalo cares if Markham got a team but possibly if Hamilton does. Notice how Ottawa isnt bothered at all? Hamilton should have gotten a team except their perspective owner was basically challenging the league with his bravado. Seattle should get a team and Van would welcome them much like Ottawa would Hamilton.

Shy
    ShyCheetah
    NET Starter

• If anyone is paying attention, Vegas just killed it in the expansion draft and are about to kill it in the actual draft.

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nh ... crap-shoot

Shy
    ShyCheetah
    NET Starter

Previous

It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:23 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information