2013 Summer Soccer Transfer Talk

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. RATING: PG-13
Re: 2013 Summer Soccer Transfer Talk
Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:05 pm
  • Arsenal have confirmed their first official signing of the summer. Sadly, it's not Higuain, it's the 20 year old Frenchman Yaya Sanogo.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:45 pm
  • Gatehawk wrote:Arsenal have confirmed their first official signing of the summer. Sadly, it's not Higuain, it's the 20 year old Frenchman Yaya Sanogo.

Seems a little old for Arsene.
    InSuarezWeTrust
    NET Starter

Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:32 pm
  • InSuarezWeTrust wrote:
    Gatehawk wrote:Arsenal have confirmed their first official signing of the summer. Sadly, it's not Higuain, it's the 20 year old Frenchman Yaya Sanogo.

Seems a little old for Arsene.

Well we apparently signed him back when the season was ending. So maybe he was 19 when that happened. :P
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:33 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:Gate, of the 11 strikers they have, how many are world class? Liverpool has 15 midfielders and yet have added two and are bidding on three others

Do you think about these things before you start whimpering?

Also, the window is open, and I am, well, available

Let the bidding war begin[color=#BF0000][/color]

Funny how you say that and Juventus confirm Llorente as their next striker signing. Yes, he's not exactly world class, but how many more strikers do you want them to sign? All of them so nobody else has any?
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:39 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Gatehawk wrote:
    Hawkspur wrote:While we're on the subject of dodgy rumours, come on Arsene, get er done: http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/prem ... 35201.html

Yeah, I have no idea where that came from.

The man hit for 19 goals last year

True, but I think Arsenal could do better. If they're paying £12 million then fine, but surely there are better stikers out there than Torres. From my recollection he got some pretty good service from Mata, Oscar et al and missed more out and out sitters than he scored. And that's been the same for the last 3 - 4 years.
    Hawkspur
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:09 am
  • Gatehawk wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:Gate, of the 11 strikers they have, how many are world class? Liverpool has 15 midfielders and yet have added two and are bidding on three others

Do you think about these things before you start whimpering?

Also, the window is open, and I am, well, available

Let the bidding war begin[color=#BF0000][/color]

Funny how you say that and Juventus confirm Llorente as their next striker signing. Yes, he's not exactly world class, but how many more strikers do you want them to sign? All of them so nobody else has any?

I don't care what they do what I was saying was signing Tevez didn't exclude them for going after a top drawer striker. Llorente fits that he's as good as Higuian in my opinion, or in the same conversation

Liverpool need to shore p the Armenian
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:52 am
  • Mkhitaryan I believe will be a Red, but the complicated ownership situation is delaying things.

Any decent CDM, and a CB capable of starting 15+ league games and it will have been a splendid window.
    InSuarezWeTrust
    NET Starter

Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:49 pm
  • Shelvey apparently on his way to Swansea. Good bit of business I figure for 6 million, but sad to see him go.
    InSuarezWeTrust
    NET Starter

Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:16 am
  • InSuarezWeTrust wrote:Shelvey apparently on his way to Swansea. Good bit of business I figure for 6 million, but sad to see him go.

Looks like Swansea over Palace, lack of ambition I feel! :sarcasm_on:
    Tellin it like it is!
    Blueboy
    NET Practice Squad

Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:02 am
  • InSuarezWeTrust wrote:Shelvey apparently on his way to Swansea. Good bit of business I figure for 6 million, but sad to see him go.

Great business, considering we bought him for 1.7 mil. He was never going to break into the first team anyway.
    Colt 45 and two zig zags.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:19 pm
  • In out of nowhere, stupid and "WTF?!" news: Bookies have stopped taking bets on Luis Suarez leaving Liverpool for Arsenal.

No really, and apparently Arsenal are 2nd favorites at 11/4 right behind Madrid. When did we start being linked with Hanibal Lector? When will the left field links for Arsenal stop? Next thing you know we'll be linked with signing Ronaldo and Messi the way these papers are linking us with practically everyone you can think of.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:47 pm
  • Gatehawk wrote:In out of nowhere, stupid and "WTF?!" news: Bookies have stopped taking bets on Luis Suarez leaving Liverpool for Arsenal.

No really, and apparently Arsenal are 2nd favorites at 11/4 right behind Madrid. When did we start being linked with Hanibal Lector? When will the left field links for Arsenal stop? Next thing you know we'll be linked with signing Ronaldo and Messi the way these papers are linking us with practically everyone you can think of.

Whatever sells papers
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:28 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Gatehawk wrote:In out of nowhere, stupid and "WTF?!" news: Bookies have stopped taking bets on Luis Suarez leaving Liverpool for Arsenal.

Whatever sells papers

It's too stupid to sell papers.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:43 pm
  • The cynic in me believes that the bookies have slashed the odds and publicized the fact that they have done so in order to stimulate activity, ie get people to give them their money.
    Hawkspur
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:49 am
  • Gate, you clicked on and reposted the link.. that's selling papers in the digital age. Nothing is too outlandish or so unreal that they won't put it out there to get people to click on the link (adding hits which sells add space) simple marketing

Very happy to see JJS go. I just never cared for him as a CM at Liverpool he surely deserved a chance with a premier team but his attitude and inability to take his chances cost him at Anfield.
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:12 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:Gate, you clicked on and reposted the link.. that's selling papers in the digital age. Nothing is too outlandish or so unreal that they won't put it out there to get people to click on the link (adding hits which sells add space) simple marketing

Very happy to see JJS go. I just never cared for him as a CM at Liverpool he surely deserved a chance with a premier team but his attitude and inability to take his chances cost him at Anfield.

I like a player with a little bit of fire in his belly, but it wasn't enough. Shelvey just wasn't good enough though...He had the worst conversion rate in the premiership of all players that had actually scored, I believe it was 13%
    InSuarezWeTrust
    NET Starter

Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:27 am
  • Moyes confirms Rooney staying put.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:10 pm
  • Nothing official till the ink is dry but Liverpool look to be losing out on Mkhitaryan to Dortmund. Can't really fault him for it either, they have UCL football and we don't.

Onward and upward. First team priorities Are CDM, CB, and overall goal scoring talent.
    InSuarezWeTrust
    NET Starter

Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:24 pm
  • InSuarezWeTrust wrote:Nothing official till the ink is dry but Liverpool look to be losing out on Mkhitaryan to Dortmund. Can't really fault him for it either, they have UCL football and we don't.

Onward and upward. First team priorities Are CDM, CB, and overall goal scoring talent.

Not too upset if we lose out on mkh. Looks the part but feel like other options are available (Ericksen for example) if we don't go CAM we can leave Coutinho there, use Suso and Allen and go for a winger (Lamela)

CB and CDM we do have Skrtel and Leiva. I would prefer bringing in another CB and off loading Coates Waynama would be a great addition to help Leiva as well

There's this Messi kid in Spain who seems a good fit with BRs style maybe him as well?
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:12 pm
  • CALIHAWK1 wrote:Moyes confirms Rooney staying put.

Shall we run down the list of Moyes' lists of departure claims:

Moyes in 2004: "Rooney is not for sale"
    Rooney joins Man U

Moyes in 2009: "Lescott is not for sale"
    Lescott joins Man City

Moyes in 2011: "Arteta is not for sale"
    Arteta joins Arsenal

Moyes in 2013: "Rooney is not for sale"

Probably shouldn't be saying this is over just because Moyes says it is.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:33 am
  • Gatehawk wrote:
    CALIHAWK1 wrote:Moyes confirms Rooney staying put.

Shall we run down the list of Moyes' lists of departure claims:

Moyes in 2004: "Rooney is not for sale"
    Rooney joins Man U

Moyes in 2009: "Lescott is not for sale"
    Lescott joins Man City

Moyes in 2011: "Arteta is not for sale"
    Arteta joins Arsenal

Moyes in 2013: "Rooney is not for sale"

Probably shouldn't be saying this is over just because Moyes says it is.

The main reason that I doubt that he'll move is not due to Moyes willingness to move him, it's more down to the fact that he earns about £10 mil per year and that not many teams could afford to pay him. Of those, not many need him.
    Hawkspur
    NET Veteran

Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:41 pm
  • I'm starting to fear that this Suarez-Arsenal thing is gonna cost us Higuain.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:58 am
  • Gatehawk wrote:I'm starting to fear that this Suarez-Arsenal thing is gonna cost us Higuain.

If we were to sell Suarez to Arsenal, we would become Arsenal. Not going to happen.
    InSuarezWeTrust
    NET Starter

Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:22 am
  • Looks like Palace are going to sign Jose Campaña, Spain U20 captain.

No nothing about him but from what I've read he sounds a decent player.
    Tellin it like it is!
    Blueboy
    NET Practice Squad

Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:30 am
  • Blueboy wrote:Looks like Palace are going to sign Jose Campaña, Spain U20 captain.

What do you figure your clubs chances are of avoiding the drop? Punchers chance?
    InSuarezWeTrust
    NET Starter

Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:04 am
  • Gatehawk wrote:I'm starting to fear that this Suarez-Arsenal thing is gonna cost us Higuain.

What. About is that Arsenal is offering to a player they can't get so they can turn to their fans and say "we tried to spend"
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:44 pm
  • I'm not getting my hopes up that Arsenal will get Suarez, I'm not saying it's impossible, I just can't see it happening. Higuain is more likely, though it almost seems like Madrid is trying to squeeze every penny they can out of Arsenal in the deal.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:27 pm
  • Gatehawk wrote:I'm not getting my hopes up that Arsenal will get Suarez, I'm not saying it's impossible, I just can't see it happening. Higuain is more likely, though it almost seems like Madrid is trying to squeeze every penny they can out of Arsenal in the deal.

Yeah, how dare they try to get the most money in return for their player! Don't they know this is ARSENAL they're dealing with?!?!
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:40 am
  • InSuarezWeTrust wrote:
    Blueboy wrote:Looks like Palace are going to sign Jose Campaña, Spain U20 captain.

What do you figure your clubs chances are of avoiding the drop? Punchers chance?

I don't think they have much of a chance, in my opinion they need a real good centre back and another top striker.

I would take our fate being in our hands on the final day of the season, if we can manage that then I think they'd of done well.
    Tellin it like it is!
    Blueboy
    NET Practice Squad

Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:37 am
  • 10 million plus Mata for rooney? United are stupid to turn that down. I hope Moyes continues to make stupid decisions like this during his tenure.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:37 am
  • peachesenregalia wrote:10 million plus Mata for rooney? United are stupid to turn that down. I hope Moyes continues to make stupid decisions like this during his tenure.

Surely that can't be true. van Persie is the obvious first choice striker; I would have thought that Mata would slide straight in as the first choice midfielder.
    Hawkspur
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:54 am
  • I highly doubt that's what Chelsea has offered. I'm ready for united to sell Rooney once and for all.
    MANUNITED23
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:55 am
  • Hawkspur wrote:
    peachesenregalia wrote:10 million plus Mata for rooney? United are stupid to turn that down. I hope Moyes continues to make stupid decisions like this during his tenure.

Surely that can't be true. van Persie is the obvious first choice striker; I would have thought that Mata would slide straight in as the first choice midfielder.

multiple sources are reporting that that was the offer on the table. Mata is better than any midfielder currently on United's squad. hell, even 10 mil for rooney is half-decent business at this point. Moyes is a berk for not taking that.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:55 pm
  • peachesenregalia wrote:
    Hawkspur wrote:
    peachesenregalia wrote:10 million plus Mata for rooney? United are stupid to turn that down. I hope Moyes continues to make stupid decisions like this during his tenure.

multiple sources are reporting that that was the offer on the table. Mata is better than any midfielder currently on United's squad. hell, even 10 mil for rooney is half-decent business at this point. Moyes is a berk for not taking that.

Here's hoping. A United period of decline would be great. Jumping the gun a bit, granted, but one can still dream.
    Hawkspur
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:56 pm
  • And what are Chelsea thinking, by the way?
    Hawkspur
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:57 pm
  • So, fellow soccer fans, while this isn't transfer news, what's your take on Sepp Blatter, quite possibly the most corrupt and out-of-touch-with-reality person involved in sports anywhere in the world, stating that he now wants to move the '22 World Cup to Winter because he finally realizes it's too hot to play in Qatar in June & July?
    You are absolutely entitled to state your opinion whenever you wish, and I am absolutely entitled to point out the stupidity of that opinion with the same frequency.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:42 pm
  • SeatownJay wrote:So, fellow soccer fans, while this isn't transfer news, what's your take on Sepp Blatter, quite possibly the most corrupt and out-of-touch-with-reality person involved in sports anywhere in the world, stating that he now wants to move the '22 World Cup to Winter because he finally realizes it's too hot to play in Qatar in June & July?

Firstly, it's impossible to disagree with your assessment of Blatter. The man is a joke, albeit not a very funny one. I'm guessing that this will not go down well with the domestic leagues and, I'd imagine, could even lead to at least one league somewhere refusing to release its players.
    Hawkspur
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:36 pm
  • Can't have it in Winter. End of. completely ruins almost every domestic league in the world. What happened to the giant floating mechanical cloud idea?
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:35 am
  • Sepp Blatter is an idiot but things will not improve much once he leaves office and Michel Platini takes over.
    Tellin it like it is!
    Blueboy
    NET Practice Squad

Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:23 am
  • Man, I really hope United finally sell Rooney. I am tired of his complaints and egoistic behavior. NOBODY is bigger than the club and if somehow United can get Luiz or Mata in the deal that would be great.
    MANUNITED23
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:44 am
  • MANUNITED23 wrote:Man, I really hope United finally sell Rooney. I am tired of his complaints and egoistic behavior. NOBODY is bigger than the club and if somehow United can get Luiz or Mata in the deal that would be great.

Well, according to just about everyone except the two clubs now, Mata or Luiz plus cash is what was offered. REALLY dumb if United turned that down. Moyes seems determined to prove a point that he won't be pushed around by his players or something. Not a good start to his tenure.

Talk is that united are lining up a big bid for Bale. I reckon Real will just out-bid them.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:12 am
  • SeatownJay wrote:So, fellow soccer fans, while this isn't transfer news, what's your take on Sepp Blatter, quite possibly the most corrupt and out-of-touch-with-reality person involved in sports anywhere in the world, stating that he now wants to move the '22 World Cup to Winter because he finally realizes it's too hot to play in Qatar in June & July?

It all comes down to money, that's all Blatter cares about. Qatar didn't deserve it in the first place, they bought the bid essentially, the only good thing about their bid was the stadiums, but everything else was shitty as hell.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:23 am
  • How many of you guys have seen this

I liked this story a lot, it shows the passion of some fans that don't get to see their favorite teams up close that often, or at all for that matter.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:24 am
  • Gatehawk wrote:
    SeatownJay wrote:So, fellow soccer fans, while this isn't transfer news, what's your take on Sepp Blatter, quite possibly the most corrupt and out-of-touch-with-reality person involved in sports anywhere in the world, stating that he now wants to move the '22 World Cup to Winter because he finally realizes it's too hot to play in Qatar in June & July?

It all comes down to money, that's all Blatter cares about. Qatar didn't deserve it in the first place, they bought the bid essentially, the only good thing about their bid was the stadiums, but everything else was shitty as hell.

Aside from the surface on the sun temperatures I think that a world cup in Qatar is just a bad idea on all fronts. I could see it potentially going worse than Brazil is supposedly going to.
    InSuarezWeTrust
    NET Starter

Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:39 am
  • InSuarezWeTrust wrote:
    Gatehawk wrote:
    SeatownJay wrote:So, fellow soccer fans, while this isn't transfer news, what's your take on Sepp Blatter, quite possibly the most corrupt and out-of-touch-with-reality person involved in sports anywhere in the world, stating that he now wants to move the '22 World Cup to Winter because he finally realizes it's too hot to play in Qatar in June & July?

Aside from the surface on the sun temperatures I think that a world cup in Qatar is just a bad idea on all fronts. I could see it potentially going worse than Brazil is supposedly going to.

From what I heard, of the 5 nations that were up for the 2022 vote, Qatar had the worst review of their bid.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:59 am
  • Man, I really hope United finally sell Rooney. I am tired of his complaints and egoistic behavior. NOBODY is bigger than the club and if somehow United can get Luiz or Mata in the deal that would be great.

I agree, if that was an actual offer United should've taken it but I doubt that either Luiz or Mata were offered. At this point, I simply want United to sell him if Rooney continues to make comments like "Angry and Confused." With that money they can bring in a new striker but most importantly a midfielder or two.
    MANUNITED23
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:08 pm
  • peachesenregalia wrote:
    MANUNITED23 wrote:Man, I really hope United finally sell Rooney. I am tired of his complaints and egoistic behavior. NOBODY is bigger than the club and if somehow United can get Luiz or Mata in the deal that would be great.

Well, according to just about everyone except the two clubs now, Mata or Luiz plus cash is what was offered. REALLY dumb if United turned that down. Moyes seems determined to prove a point that he won't be pushed around by his players or something. Not a good start to his tenure.

Talk is that united are lining up a big bid for Bale. I reckon Real will just out-bid them.

I can't see Spurs selling in-country, if indeed they do sell. Madrid, Barcelona, PSG or Monaco would be the most likely next club. I'd have to imagine that it'll be a much larger fee than £60m if he is sold, too. Bale is essentially the face of the league over here this season and I'm sure that he is worth quite a bit to Spurs in terms of merchandise, expanding the fanbase and getting games on TV.
    Hawkspur
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:17 pm
  • yeah, I agree Hawkspur, just repeating what I'd read. I can't see Liverpool selling Suarez in-country either. Rodgers has said he won't let him go this summer, but we'll see.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:23 pm
  • Just to put this in everyone's mind. Nobody really saw Arsenal selling Judas Van Persie in country last year.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:34 pm
  • Gatehawk wrote:Just to put this in everyone's mind. Nobody really saw Arsenal selling Judas Van Persie in country last year.

LOL. You still blame the players.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

PreviousNext

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:08 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information