Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Seattle Sounders 2018 Season

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: Seattle Sounders 2018 Season
Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:04 pm
  • USMNT legend without a doubt.

Sounders? Nah not for me. Felt like he was injured, suspended, or called up for the national team at the worst possible times. Oba brought out the best in him but I feel like Oba was the better player and Ozzy is arguably the true legend given longevity. Montero is probably up there as well, as streaky as he was.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:06 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Dempsey retires. Figured something like that would happen.

Why didn't he retire three weeks ago when we could have used his DP slot for Hurtado.

Was thinking this myself. I imagine we still have to pay his contract though.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:40 pm
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:USMNT legend without a doubt.

Sounders? Nah not for me. Felt like he was injured, suspended, or called up for the national team at the worst possible times. Oba brought out the best in him but I feel like Oba was the better player and Ozzy is arguably the true legend given longevity. Montero is probably up there as well, as streaky as he was.

Dempsey scored 57 goals (29 assists) for the Sounders. Martins 43 (23 assists). Montero 60 (36 assists).

Dempsey also scored 6 times in the post season. Montero 0. You can argue for Montero, but it's probably a coin flip. Dempsey won major championships. Montero won US open cups.

Ozzy is a decent CM. Maybe he's a "true legend" but he's rarely been the best player on the field in any game he's played. Maybe he's the "captain" f the Sounders, but can't suggest he's the best.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:35 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Ozzy is a decent CM. Maybe he's a "true legend" but he's rarely been the best player on the field in any game he's played. Maybe he's the "captain" f the Sounders, but can't suggest he's the best.

"Best" is obviously a very subjective word, which is why it's hard to quantify.

If you're going strictly goals and production, then the best ever is Montero. As I said he scored more goals in less time than anyone else in club history.

But IMO "best" should encompass more than just goals, and that's why I choose Ozzie. Longevity, toughness, work rate, selfless position, he embodies everything you want in a team leader. Thus why he'd get my vote for best ever.

To me Dempsey is just a nice story, USMNT legend that chose to come here to finish his career.............and had some nice years production wise. Best? Nope, I'd put him down my list behind Montero, Ozzie, Keller, Lodeiro and Rosales.

If you say "best" I need more than just production. I need team leadership, and if we're being honest Demspey was never a great team leader.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:27 am
  • yes, Ozzy is team leader. But i suggested Dempsey was the best player in Sounders history. Not the most liked. Ozzy was/is a lot of things.

However, he was rarely the "best" player on the field. He did lots of things. But true 6s are hardly more (outside of Kante's amazing season with title winning Leicester) than what you just described.

And the stats are quantifiable.

Ozzy may go down as the everyone's favorite Sounder. Would be hard to convince he was their best ever player.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:05 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:yes, Ozzy is team leader. But i suggested Dempsey was the best player in Sounders history. Not the most liked. Ozzy was/is a lot of things.

However, he was rarely the "best" player on the field. He did lots of things. But true 6s are hardly more (outside of Kante's amazing season with title winning Leicester) than what you just described.

And the stats are quantifiable.

Ozzy may go down as the everyone's favorite Sounder. Would be hard to convince he was their best ever player.

This is fair. Your "best" is based on stats and quantifiable traits, and mine is leaning more towards intangible traits like leadership, toughness, things that I think embody the best Sounder ever.

Neither is wrong, and neither is right, that's the beauty of a conversation like this.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:30 pm
  • Stefan Frei has to be up there? He pretty much won us that MLS cup too. Probably gets ignored as he's a GK.

I think overall Dempsey was the best player but more for what he done outwith Seattle- at Fulham and the USMNT.

On the park for Seattle- Still think Oba was better but people will ignore it as he wasn't there for too long. If Lodeiro gets another championship I think he could/should be up there. Chad Marshall too.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:33 pm
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Stefan Frei has to be up there? He pretty much won us that MLS cup too. Probably gets ignored as he's a GK.

I think overall Dempsey was the best player but more for what he done outwith Seattle- at Fulham and the USMNT.

On the park for Seattle- Still think Oba was better but people will ignore it as he wasn't there for too long. If Lodeiro gets another championship I think he could/should be up there. Chad Marshall too.

i don't ignore Oba, but IMO he was always a mercenary type signing that really didn't care about being a Sounder..........he just cared about who was going to pay him the most. Thus bolting for China at the first sign of a bigger paycheck.

Again, this to me is about being the best "Sounder," and that means more to me than just production.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:09 pm
    In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:26 pm
  • Great result but was the ref smoking crack at that marshall red card? Wtf did he see? Worst red card in mls history
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:34 pm
    In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:32 pm
  • Nah not for me. I dont think he's a sounders legend. Too many get carried away with his national team heroics.

Zach Scott should though but won't.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:12 am
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Great result but was the ref smoking crack at that marshall red card? Wtf did he see? Worst red card in mls history

That was a poor use of cards by the ref. Hopefully, it gets reversed during the week and Marshall can play in the next match. If not, it’s time for Torres to step up. At least they are deep at CB now. They weren’t earlier in the season when Torres was hurt.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:09 pm
  • Ozzie Alonso is the most important player to play for this club since it joined MLS.

Its not close.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:16 pm
  • 100% agree
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:12 pm
  • Smith was an absolute beast yesterday..........biggest pickup since Lodeiro, and it's not even close.

He's not only stabilized the back line, but added some incredible width and danger to our attack. Fantastic signing.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:52 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:Smith was an absolute beast yesterday..........biggest pickup since Lodeiro, and it's not even close.

He's not only stabilized the back line, but added some incredible width and danger to our attack. Fantastic signing.

Absolutely agree. I think he's had a huge impact. I'd say that Kim Kee Hee is turning out to be a monster signing as well. Dude is keeping Roman Torres on the bench.

One thing to keep in mind with Smith is that he is here on a Loan. He is with us through the remainder of the season and the playoffs, but Bournmouth have the ability to recall him in the January window. If they don't, he is here until the Summer window next year. After that we would have to renegotiate for him, and potentially a permanent transfer...the issue is...he is expensive. Unless there are some big Salary Cap changes coming, he is probably out of our price range.

That being said, he appears to love being here, the area, and the fact he's actually getting minutes. So maybe that will help in negotiations.

This is a very rare signing for Garth, who is normally a very long term thinker when it comes to the roster...but Brad Smith is 100% a "Lets win right now" signing.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:58 pm
  • Smurf wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:Smith was an absolute beast yesterday..........biggest pickup since Lodeiro, and it's not even close.

Absolutely agree. I think he's had a huge impact. I'd say that Kim Kee Hee is turning out to be a monster signing as well. Dude is keeping Roman Torres on the bench.

One thing to keep in mind with Smith is that he is here on a Loan. He is with us through the remainder of the season and the playoffs, but Bournmouth have the ability to recall him in the January window. If they don't, he is here until the Summer window next year. After that we would have to renegotiate for him, and potentially a permanent transfer...the issue is...he is expensive. Unless there are some big Salary Cap changes coming, he is probably out of our price range.

That being said, he appears to love being here, the area, and the fact he's actually getting minutes. So maybe that will help in negotiations.

This is a very rare signing for Garth, who is normally a very long term thinker when it comes to the roster...but Brad Smith is 100% a "Lets win right now" signing.

Don't they have some money now that Dempsey has retired? I wouldn't mind the Sounders giving him the DP spot vacated by Dempsey. That may help keep him permanently in Seattle.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:07 pm
  • KitsapGuy wrote:

This is definitely an American Culture vs Soccer/Football Culture difference. It's pretty rare around the world to have Jersey Numbers retired in Soccer, and when it happens its usually posthumously.

Personally, I don't think his number should be retired....but if we start down the road where its being discussed...IMO that opens up a can of worms because a list of players immediately come to mind...

17 - Fredy Montero - Tied All Time League scorer. 3 More overall. No playoff goals. More assists.
    6 - Ozzie Alonso - 4 Open Cups, 1 Supporters Shield, 2 MLS Cup Appearances, 1 MLS Cup. Heart of the team.

Honestly, I'd prefer we not retire numbers...but I think everyone should know the legendary players who wore the number.

After Deuce got here, DeAndre Yedlin gave up the #2 for him...and adopted the #17...because that was Fredy's number...
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:26 pm
  • hawkfan68 wrote:
    Smurf wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:Smith was an absolute beast yesterday..........biggest pickup since Lodeiro, and it's not even close.

Don't they have some money now that Dempsey has retired? I wouldn't mind the Sounders giving him the DP spot vacated by Dempsey. That may help keep him permanently in Seattle.

Interesting you bring this up. If Dempsey had retired a few weeks earlier (when the window was open) we likely would have been able to sign Paulo Hurtado, a Peruvian Winger. We got outbid by a Turkish club, but we offered everything we had available.

I honestly don't think we would have had Dempsey on the roster next season regardless. He signed a 1 year, $1.6 Million dollar deal before the start of this season. Almost a $3 Million dollar pay cut. Garth has been holding that DP slot in his pocket for over a year waiting for the right player for the long term. They bought down Ozzie's contract to bring in Ruidiaz. We will also have Eikram off the books, if we don't already.

I have a hard time thinking they would spend DP money on a Defensive player. Almost no one in MLS uses their DP's that way. Vancouver have Brek Shea, who they play at LB at times, and Colorado have Tim Howard....outside of that I cant recall another team with a player in the back 4 or GK.

I think with that space available they will look to bring in an Outside midfield player, similar to Hurtado. As much as I like Smith, and I think the club likes Smith, I don't think they will use that spot on him.

It will be an interesting off season though.

Another Expansion Draft (FC Cincinnati)
    There are a rash of players on expiring deals:

Chad Marshall - Retire or resign or move on?
    Cristian Roldan - How much will it cost to keep him?
    Stefan Frei - Club offered him a TAM Contract in 2017, but MLS refused it.
    Gustav Svensson - Currently on a TAM
    Will Bruin - Is he worth the cost (making 350k)

I suppose there may be money for Smith next year...but I'm not sure I would be comfortable losing the players we might lose to make it possible.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:06 pm
  • hawkfan68 wrote:
    Smurf wrote:

This is only one part of the equation, they'd first have to buy him out of his Bournmouth contract.........and the combo of what that'd cost + a DP salary might be pretty damn cost prohibitive.

Let's hope Bournmouth doesn't call Smith back in and we get to keep him after January at his reasonable salary. This also allows us to use Dempsey's DP spot on another position.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:11 pm
  • Chad Marshall's red card has been rescinded. He's available for the Vancouver match.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:30 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    hawkfan68 wrote:
    Smurf wrote:

This is only one part of the equation, they'd first have to buy him out of his Bournmouth contract.........and the combo of what that'd cost + a DP salary might be pretty damn cost prohibitive.

Let's hope Bournmouth doesn't call Smith back in and we get to keep him after January at his reasonable salary. This also allows us to use Dempsey's DP spot on another position.

I’m very interested to see what happens with Smith.

He’s showing well abd if it continues and Bournemouth turn a profit (whether it’s selling to Seattle or back to a Championship team) it could be the start of a trend of Premier league players finding loans here.

Good for both parties
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:20 am
  • Sigi quits LA Galaxy
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:02 pm
  • Portland loses and Seattle currently lead Vancouver 2-1 at the half.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:11 pm
  • Seattle Wins! Nine straight! They're now in 5th place, only a point behind RSL with 2 games in hand on them.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:23 pm
  • Also, with the win Seattle takes the Cascadia Cup for the first time since 2015.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:47 pm
  • If we beat philly and the galaxy the next 2 games, there's every chance we can win out given who is left.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:23 pm
  • They haven't lost since they signed Ruidiaz. Just have to keep it going.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:13 am
  • I saw Jordan Morris say he may be back before the end of the season. I doubt it to be honest, especially without a preseason.

I worry he'll have lost some speed after this injury and develop into an MLS average talent rather than the higher expectations people had hoped for.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:38 am
  • The streak is over.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:55 am
  • Stefan Frei...smh. That was a terrible way to end the streak. Hopefully Ruidiaz is not out for a significant time.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:29 am
  • One of the more frustrating matches to watch in a long time.

I thought the MLS was done with thuggish no talent clubs just parking the bus, fouling ad nasueum and hoping for a lucky counter. So congrats Philly, your fans must be so proud of that garbage product your club puts on the pitch.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:35 am
  • That sucked, should have been about 3 up in the first 15 minutes. Went a bit flat once Ruidiaz and Marshall got hurt.

Bruin looked rusty, Smith's first touch deserted him at points, didn't think Roldan had the best of games and Rodriguez faded badly second half.

Awful goal to lose, just a loss of concentration but Frei kept us in it earlier in the game and has been solid all year.

Lets go beat LA. Hope to god Ruidiaz is ok, we looked toothless without him.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:16 am
  • MLS talking about eliminating the 3rd DP spot.

They BETTER raise the cap. Would be pissed if they pander to owners who are too cheap to spend money, lack ambition. Don't hold back the likes of the Sounders, Atlanta, Toronto who do spend money.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:09 am
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:MLS talking about eliminating the 3rd DP spot.

They BETTER raise the cap. Would be pissed if they pander to owners who are too cheap to spend money, lack ambition. Don't hold back the likes of the Sounders, Atlanta, Toronto who do spend money.

I don't understand, cause even if the smaller clubs are complaining about not having the revenue to attract and sign DP's, all you have to do is look at the past 10 years of MLS Cup winners, and there's plenty of smaller market clubs who've won.

Portland
    Columbus
    Sporting KC
    Colorado
    RSL
    Houston

So yeah, if you take away a DP slot, you better raise the cap 1-2M at least, if not more. MLS rosters are already hard to stock with quality players.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:05 pm
  • Portland and RSL both lose today so if Seattle can win tomorrow they'll move up to 4th in the standings.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:05 pm
  • The Sounders squandered great chances to move up the table this week. Two straight pathetic outings against Philadelphia and LA Galaxy.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:26 pm
  • Harry Shipp and Brad Smith both out 2-3 weeks with Hamstring Injuries.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:09 am
  • Heard Luis Suarez has an offer from MLS. He's been linked to Seattle previously and is close with Lodeiro.

We have a DP spot...

Suarez is a piece of crap as a person but an effin amazing player.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:10 am
  • Smurf wrote:Harry Shipp and Brad Smith both out 2-3 weeks with Hamstring Injuries.

Feel like Smiths form dipped a little after a great debut. Still the best option and still a loss.

Never thought I'd say the same about Shipp too but he has played well lately.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:32 am
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Heard Luis Suarez has an offer from MLS. He's been linked to Seattle previously and is close with Lodeiro.

We have a DP spot...

Suarez is not a piece of crap as a person...

Just weird sometimes.

As one of my favorite players ever I hope he never plays for Seattle if that's how fans would think of him.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:11 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Heard Luis Suarez has an offer from MLS. He's been linked to Seattle previously and is close with Lodeiro.

We have a DP spot...

Just weird sometimes.

As one of my favorite players ever I hope he never plays for Seattle if that's how fans would think of him.

As A Liverpool fan, I loved Suarez the player, but he does have a long history of erratic and even racist behavior.

So piece of crap person? No, that's harsh, but I'd say he's got some questionable personal issues that maturity has not slowed down.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:49 pm
  • He certainly has made some questionable decisions on the field. Would never debate that. Is his biting the worst thing ever? is it some leg breaking tackle, or shoulder damaging arm bar, tearing up a knee or ankle with studs up?

It's not.

The racist behavior is probably a conversation for you and I off the board, but I would disagree that was what happened that day.

I think he's a passionate footballer with a loose brain. he is (was) brilliant and mad. He'd be fantastic for the MLS if they appreciated what and who he is.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:17 am
  • Topic change

Just read that Paul Allen is interesred in buying Chelsea and has met twice with their lawyers.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:31 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:Topic change

Just read that Paul Allen is interesred in buying Chelsea and has met twice with their lawyers.

Wow, that'd be insane...............not that I could ever bring myself to root for Chelsea. I wonder if Abramovich is having money issues, or he just wants to get out.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:51 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:Topic change

Wow, that'd be insane...............not that I could ever bring myself to root for Chelsea. I wonder if Abramovich is having money issues, or he just wants to get out.

Doubt the money issues. I do know that he (or his ventures) have come under more scrutiny in England since Brexit (may or may not be related, i don't understand all that to be honest).

He may just be wanting to move on.

Either way, if it was to go through, that would be some connection between the MLS' most popular franchises and one of the world's most popular.

Possibilities abound (including the loan opportunities, of which Chelsea loves)
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:52 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Heard Luis Suarez has an offer from MLS. He's been linked to Seattle previously and is close with Lodeiro.

We have a DP spot...

Just weird sometimes.

I stand by my opinion.

I still want him as a Sounders player regardless.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:19 am
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:

We have a DP spot...

Just weird sometimes.

I stand by my opinion.

I still want him as a Sounders player regardless.

He's an acquired taste (see what i did there)

(he's also a stand up guy in both the Liverpool and Barcelona communities, regularly donating money and time to youth programs, etc. He's a shit on the field. off it, he does a good job)
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:50 am
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Heard Luis Suarez has an offer from MLS. He's been linked to Seattle previously and is close with Lodeiro.

We have a DP spot...

Easy on the 3rd DP spot. A couple articles have been written lately that MLS may get rid of the 3rd DP slot in favor of increasing TAM and the Salary Cap (Which I think will improve the league).

And if that is the case...then Garth Lagerway deserves a lot more credit for how he's built the roster, and more importantly managed the salary cap.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

PreviousNext

It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:53 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information