Seattle Sounders 2018 Season

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3gxvax5w said:
Glasgow Seahawk":3gxvax5w said:
RSL won :( As Kevin Keegan once said: I would love it, love it if we beat Portland in Portland next week.

Still plenty of season left, just keep winning and getting points.

I have no doubt now we make the play offs barring injury. Schedule is pretty favorable too. Amazing turn around.

Would still like a first round bye.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Wish they would remove the stupid GM vote gimmick for the fans. Ownership will do whatever the hell they want and even if the fans voted against, they'd change the GM's title or something.

Barcelona and Real Madrid do it as usually it involves 100's of millions of dollars in transfers.

Also kind of wish the band would go too, we're not a college football team and it drowns out the ECS.

Smurf

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":1m6pvr19 said:
Wish they would remove the stupid GM vote gimmick for the fans. Ownership will do whatever the hell they want and even if the fans voted against, they'd change the GM's title or something.

Barcelona and Real Madrid do it as usually it involves 100's of millions of dollars in transfers.

Also kind of wish the band would go too, we're not a college football team and it drowns out the ECS.

They don't have to change the title. It's already built in. Garth isn't going anywhere.

He may not be General Manager, but He'll stay President of Soccer regardless.

Garth isn't going anywhere. He just may get another person on the payroll to assist run the club.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Thats why its lame. Even if they had a vote 2 months into the season when we sucled, he'd be safe
Get rid of the vote.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":2cggaqos said:
Thats why its lame. Even if they had a vote 2 months into the season when we sucled, he'd be safe
Get rid of the vote.

The vote was never meant to be the final say with the GM position. The vote, like other big clubs do all over the world is a way to get the support clubs involved in order to give the owners the temperature of the fanbase in regards to club operations.

It's just an interaction mechanism for fan input, IMO it was never meant to be anything more (nor should it be). Yes it's pumped up to be more than it is, and that's a little patronizing and phony, but IMO it's a good thing.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/sou ... ng-upward/

Sometimes Lagerway should just not talk, that Pearl Jam quote is weird.

I'm sort of with him on the US open cup, most teams don't care about it.

I do care about the regular season though and while we've went to two MLS cups by peaking at the right time, we made it hard on ourselves and should be aiming for HFA. If we make it back this year, it's likely in winter time NY or Atlanta.

I get we're a salary cap league but it shouldn't be one or the other. I get Sigi's teams peaked too early and fizzled out in the play offs after dominating the regular season (some of thats on him and his terrible tactics in the play offs). I get not every team is last years Toronto and cant spend what they spent. I feel like the Sounders though could and should have had the ability to have both a good regular and post season.

There was some puzzling decisions in the off season, some that may have sunk our season if Schmetzer hadn't kept the team together and staying positive. Feel like the front office really took their eye off the ball.

Re-signing Dempsey was odd- he'd been injured a ton before hand and to be honest he limits Lodeiro's effectiveness. His salary for this year could have been better spent.

Waiting too long to get a DP was also an issue, should have got at least an MLS veteran (like another Bruin) as a stop gap the moment Morris went down.

I'm also questioning why we re-signed Torres.

Will give the Wolff Eikrem signing a pass, sometimes signings don't work out.

The summer signings have been decent so far.

Next season has some big decisions. Torres, Alonso?, Dempsey. That's some big salary there.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I agree with most of what you wrote Glasgow.

While I'm not a huge fan of Lagerwey, I'm also not a huge fan of firing GM's after two straight trips to the MLS Cup. So a little perspective is needed this year.

But if I'm giving him a grade for 2018? It's a D, he did a terrible job of rounding out the roster last off season, especially at outside back. Jones had one foot out the door for the ENTIRE 2017 season, Lagerwey should have found a Smith type long before two weeks ago.

Going with two young developmental outside backs have hamstrung this club all season, and Morris's injury only made that error more glaring.

So we'll see, if we can get into the playoffs and do some damage now that we're far more dangerous on offense with Ruidiaz and have a quality LB in Smith, I like our chances.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Last night wasn't very kind to the Sounders, as Vancouver, RSL, and SKC all win. Still, if Seattle can beat Portland tonight they'll jump up to 5th in the standings.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Seven. Straight. Wins. Unbeaten in 10. Seattle is now in 5th place and they knock Portland below the red line.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Eff yes. Great win in a tough venue against the big rivals. Win our 2 games in hand and we are 3rd. Tough game next week though.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":ntdj1wxd said:
Rodriguez has re-hurt his hamstring. He's been snake bit with injuries...

Every year we should give out the Brittle Brad award. Given to the player who embodies all the injury prone soft qualities of Brad Evans.

Your 2018 Brittle Brad Award Recipient, Victor Rodriguez!!

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Dempsey has got to be in that running. I feel there is either more to it and he retires or has a mutual contract termination out of nowhere in the coming weeks or he comes back for one last big moment in a play off game or something and gets that goal that breaks the club record. Something like Landon Donovans last hurrah (before we came out of retirement again).

For what we are paying him, I still hope really can get something out of him before the end of the season. Comes back as a rejuvinated impact sub. Something, anything.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":3u1ylmul said:
Dempsey has got to be in that running. I feel there is either more to it and he retires or has a mutual contract termination out of nowhere in the coming weeks or he comes back for one last big moment in a play off game or something and gets that goal that breaks the club record. Something like Landon Donovans last hurrah (before we came out of retirement again).

For what we are paying him, I still hope really can get something out of him before the end of the season. Comes back as a rejuvinated impact sub. Something, anything.

Dempsey had 10 goals last year and has been productive every year until this year. We're paying Rodriguez 1M, and he's yet to be healthy and productive here.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Great win yesterday. Kim Kee-Hee had his best game as a Sounder (IMO). He had a tremendous impact on the result.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":9zzf10nm said:
Dempsey retires. Figured something like that would happen.

Why didn't he retire three weeks ago when we could have used his DP slot for Hurtado.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1imw1vl9 said:
Glasgow Seahawk":1imw1vl9 said:

Why didn't he retire three weeks ago when we could have used his DP slot for Hurtado.

all that said...

best USMNT and Sounder ever (?)

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":39d413bd said:
Sgt. Largent":39d413bd said:
Glasgow Seahawk":39d413bd said:

all that said...

best USMNT and Sounder ever (?)

Definitely best USMNT. I put him ahead of Donovan because Dempsey had a very nice career for Fulham (I think he's still their all time goal leader?), which Donovan was content to stay in the MLS and not challenge himself overseas.

I know that's not USMNT stats, but IMO it's what separates the two players talent wise and what they meant to US soccer.

Sounder? No. IMO it's Ozzie, but I'd allow Montero if you're strictly talking production. He had more goals in a shorter span than Dempsey.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
I wonder if Dempsey will get a final runout in one of the upcoming USMNT friendlies to allow the fans to say goodbye.