2018 Seattle Mariners regular season thread

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3l9ql3xc said:
Time to end the Nicasio experiment YET???? Have you seen enough yet???
6.60 ERA and it’s almost July. Why was he allowed to stay in as long as he was.

When you don’t make the playoffs or miss getting a higher seed by a few games, you can point to stubbornness of not admitting that Nicasio is horrible and it was a bad trade. Cut him, and eat the cash before he costs you another ball game.

Nicasio is the reincarnation of Bobby Ayala.

10 flippin’ runs should be enough to win the game!
Nicasio was a FA signing. But well said my friend, well said. Was it around this time of the year that Dipoto finally gave up on that toad Benoit? Wasn't he a high priced FA akin to Nicasio? Now that I'm thinking about it, Colome is looking pretty trashy, too. I've brought it up before, but man, why does Dipoto struggle so much with getting quality pitching here?

avengerboater

Reaction score
Oh, boy. The wheels are about to come tumbling off real soon....

Servais kinda lost this game, in my eyes, with his (once again) poor management of the bullpen and not knowing when to pull guys.

1) Why not put Elias in to do some long relief after pulling Leblanc? Elias was warming up in the 3rd or 4th inning already.

2) Why pull Pazos after he walked Benintendi with 2 outs and put in NICK VINCENT to face J.D. MARTINEZ (who leads the MLB in RBI) and the heart of the lineup? Vincent hasn't shown to be reliable in medium to high leverage situations, and he's just come off the DL. Then he promptly gives a 2-run dinger; triple, rbi single. :dummy:

3) Why leave Nicasio in there after he's allowed: 1b, walk to load the bases, rbi 1b, rbi 1b. I mean, come on!

4) Then puts the new guy Rumbelow w/ 1 year exp in to face Bosox with bases loaded and 1 out?

5) Putting Span at 3 and Seager at 5 in the lineup again...........

As someone has already mentioned, Seager and Zunino stink at the plate, with the occasional HR but never come through in the clutch or with RISP. But they both play stellar defense, so we're either stuck with them or suffer a regression in defense if we replace them with more potent bats. Zunino has always been like this, so it's kinda the norm for him. But Seager is especially frustrating considering how much he's getting paid and where he bats in the order.

:229031_shrug: :rumble:

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
I will say this. For all the outsiders that say The Ms have no farm system, they are wrong. Sure, they don't have loads and loads of promising prospects, but they appear to have a good, young core, especially in high A Modesto. Kyle Lewis, infielders Bryson Brigman, Joe Rizzo, Evan White, and Donnie Walton (who just got reassigned to double A Arkansas. Their pitching is bad, but Wyatt Mills especially, along with Matt Festa and Art Warren look very promising for the future of the pen. The Rainiers look awful, with the exception of Andreoli and Ian Miller. How sad is it that their best pitcher is Bergman? That's not a slight on Berg, I've always liked him, but he's been around a long time and is at least 32 years old.

I follow the farm system closely, and like I said, this small core of talent they have coming up together looks like it could be ready to rock within 1-3 years.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
M's are what they are. They are a good team but not a great team. We will likely make the playoffs but may not even get past the play in wild card game. We just aren't on the same level as Boston, NY or Houston. I'd even take Cleveland over us in a series.

On a championship caliber team, I think Paxton would be a #2. We don't have a true dominant ace like what we had with Felix in years past. The bullpen is coming back down to earth, and we are starting to feel the absence of Cano. In sports you usually have to pay the price for missing a superstar, we are starting to feel that now. If I'm counting correctly, we are still 12-8 in June, I think most of us said if we can go .500 in the month of June we will be fine. Don't forget that after this series we get the Orioles and Royals, two awful teams.

I still hope Dipoto goes for it this year. With the age of this team, and how baseball is constructed, it's not a given we will be able to compete for the playoffs over the next few years. Go out and get some pieces and lets try for a WS. We are only a couple pieces away from being in the conversation with the big boys. I just don't know if we have what it takes to land a dominant starting pitcher or a big time bullpen arm.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Dipoto’s weakness has been finding decent pitching. I thought they should have traded Seager before this season and at that time he could have garnered a top of the rotation type....now his value has dropped. Still they should trade Seager and get what they can. The addition of Healey makes up for Seager offensively. They can probably put Romine at third and he can be temp replacement on the defensive side until a permanent solution is found.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Winning today was important as we are likely to lose tomorrow facing Chris Sale. I'm fine if we go 1-5 on the road trip against the Yanks and Sox as long as we take care of business against the Orioles and Royals. Leake is a pro, no doubt he should stay in the rotation if we add a starting pitcher. He's been great the past couple months.

sutz

Reaction score
Damn fine game. Leake was aces. Loved the clips at the end with him trying to talk his way out to finish.

But Diaz definitely needed the work. Now, if we need him tomorrow, he'll at least have got some work in. If this had been a close game, that was a blown save. He should be better tomorrow.

Love that they scored in 5 innings, too. That's what they should have done last night, keep tacking on runs. That'll wear a team down, even the Sox in that stadium.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Chris Herrmann is batting....... .429!

Based Dipoto is trying to ditch the Zunino experiment. Freitas was sent down.

sutz

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":1v20nq0k said:
Shutout by arguably the best pitcher in MLB.
Yeah, pretty predictable. Gonzalez held them off for 4 innings, but that's a potent lineup. Hard to keep them down for long.

sutz

Reaction score
One positive, they didn't get rained out. This was supposed to be our last east coast trip of the season. Having to come back sometime for a 1-2 game makeup would have really sucked.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":1o5u0i3r said:
M's are what they are. They are a good team but not a great team. We will likely make the playoffs but may not even get past the play in wild card game. We just aren't on the same level as Boston, NY or Houston. I'd even take Cleveland over us in a series.

On a championship caliber team, I think Paxton would be a #2. We don't have a true dominant ace like what we had with Felix in years past. The bullpen is coming back down to earth, and we are starting to feel the absence of Cano. In sports you usually have to pay the price for missing a superstar, we are starting to feel that now. If I'm counting correctly, we are still 12-8 in June, I think most of us said if we can go .500 in the month of June we will be fine. Don't forget that after this series we get the Orioles and Royals, two awful teams.

I still hope Dipoto goes for it this year. With the age of this team, and how baseball is constructed, it's not a given we will be able to compete for the playoffs over the next few years. Go out and get some pieces and lets try for a WS. We are only a couple pieces away from being in the conversation with the big boys. I just don't know if we have what it takes to land a dominant starting pitcher or a big time bullpen arm.

Boston is 4-3 vs us. So we are same level as boston.

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":3ivav3hi said:
So anyone see marco saying redsox stole signs?
I think that happens more than most think it does. Easy fix, go to a different set of signs.

getnasty

Reaction score
Good win tonight! M's now have the 4th most wins in the Majors, unfortunately they also have the 4th most wins in the AL.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
getnasty":gtdyyrb7 said:
Good win tonight! M's now have the 4th most wins in the Majors, unfortunately they also have the 4th most wins in the AL.
Plus both the Angels and Astros lost! I feel like I've been scoreboard watching almost all season. I think the Ms are 3.5 back of Houston now, which is still very attainable. Especially at this point of the season. I still think they need to find a way to get good pitching. Hopefully Dipoto can work some magic and not pay an arm and a leg. I still hope he can unload Seager, too. The defense is good, but not good enough to offset his pathetic bat.