Zags 2017/2018

Crizilla

Reaction score
Zags looking dangerous AGAIN this year. Offense is elite. If they can dodge Nova, they can outscore any other team to the Final Four again.

OP
OP
N

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Played well, perhaps the best all year. I still think this team is good not great. I expect a sweet sixteen to be about the max they go. Possible elite eight depending on match ups.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Natethegreat":pkb8aujd said:
Played well, perhaps the best all year. I still think this team is good not great. I expect a sweet sixteen to be about the max they go. Possible elite eight depending on match ups.

I agree. Good but not great. I like their previous teams a lot more. I think they can make the sweet 16 or get bounced in the first weekend. Don't think they got what it takes to make it past the sweet 16 though.

OP
OP
N

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Last years team is demonstrably better than what we have this year. I have no illusions of title runs. An early out is certainly possible but I suspect they get at least 1 or 2 wins.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Bracketology on ESPN has the Zags at a 5 seed for the tourney. But they are ranked 6th overall in the country.

makes absolutely no sense. I hate life

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Crizilla":21bve3zs said:
Bracketology on ESPN has the Zags at a 5 seed for the tourney. But they are ranked 6th overall in the country.

makes absolutely no sense. I hate life

Rankings mean nothing. This is basically what they've done this season and every season.

They enter conference play ranked between 10-20. They wait for other ranked teams to drop games and then they leap frog them. When they move up in the rankings, it's usually not because of wins, but other ranked teams losing. They've had one quality win in the last two months, the win at St Mary's. I think a five seed is fair given the few big wins they've had this season.

OP
OP
N

Natethegreat

Reaction score
At the start of the year I wasn't sure what to expect. I am pleased with what they have done. Another outstanding coaching job by Few and a great job by the Zags. Despite how many denigrate the Zags for their conference winning it isn't nearly as easy as they like to make it out to be.
Just ask BYU. They thought they would waltz in here and take over when they first joined. Haven't won it once and most years they finish third or worse.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I don't think BYU ever thought they would waltz in and dominate the conference. Zags are cream of the crop. It really is too bad the conference hasn't improved. BYU and Mary's are hit and miss. As much as I hate the Zags, would really like to see them compete all season against the power conference teams.

OP
OP
N

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Zags a 4 seed in the West. I like the region, seed seems about right. UNC Greensboro is a good defensive team. I have no idea what to expect out of this game.
They play Ohio State if seeds hold. A team we blew out early in the year but that was a long time ago. I am not complaining about this draw at all. I can see them making the sweet sixteen possibly farther.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Zags got a nice draw to the Sweet 16. I know nothing about their first opponent, but I'm just going to assume they'll win. Ohio State is a solid team, but they overachieved for the most part. They missed the tourney last season and their new coach basically had the same team to work with and had them in the top 25 all season. Keita Bates Diop is a stud, but not much Zags should be worried about.

The bottom part of that bracket is tough with UNC and Michigan. Assuming those two teams meet, whoever wins that game I think will go to the final four. Zags don't have the talent of Xavier, but they are more than capable of pulling the upset.

OP
OP
N

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Yeah, I think we can beat Xavier provided we play well. However the info on UNC Greensboro makes it look like they are a pretty decent team. Beat NC State this year and kept it close with Virginia.
I am not assuming any win this year.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Barely escaped.

I wouldn't count on Ohio State being the next opponent. South Dakota St has it tied at half and Kam Williams got hurt for them in the first half.

Crizilla

Reaction score
OSU isn't very good this year. 0-3 against Penn State. Destroyed by UNC. Nothing really special about them this year. Already blown out by the Zags. I'd be shocked if Zags can't handle them again.

OP
OP
N

Natethegreat

Reaction score
That game did not surprise me at all. It was exactly what I expected. I think we beat OSU fairly easily, not a blow out but I think it will be double digit win.

OP
OP
N

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Zags overcame extremely poor free throw shooting and terrible officiating to win. The officiating was so one sided during the first half you just have to laugh. Refs must have had money on this game. Plus they go to the moniter and it is CLEARLY off Dakich and they give the ball to OSU and they score 5 straight point on more BS calls.

Oh well they overcame. They are the better team. I look forward to seeing who they play next.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Natethegreat":24ibia5t said:
Zags overcame extremely poor free throw shooting and terrible officiating to win. The officiating was so one sided during the first half you just have to laugh. Refs must have had money on this game. Plus they go to the moniter and it is CLEARLY off Dakich and they give the ball to OSU and they score 5 straight point on more BS calls.

Oh well they overcame. They are the better team. I look forward to seeing who they play next.

The tipped ball off of OSU in the final minute call was a complete joke. I love how the refs looking at it through replay didn't even do anything. Isn't that the point of replay? TO GET THE CALL RIGHT? It's all BS. It's like the refs don't even try anymore. The NCAA clearly wanted to keep OSU in the game. They gotta keep a BIG10 school in it somehow.

Michigan vs UNC would be a nice Sweet 16 matchup, but if the Zags got to play one of them in the Elite 8, they are going to have to beat the refs as well.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Go Zags. Will support a Washington team as long as it isn't against the Cougs and isn't UW. Awesome win against those turd Buckeyes.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Nice win for the Zags. Can't stand them but respect them.

I think Zags have a great shot at reaching the final four. I don't think they are a top four team, but the path is there. If they meet Xavier, they will have to travel all the way out to LA. All the #1 seeds get to stay close to home except for Xavier, so it should be a neutral crowd or a Zags crowd. Got to see if they get by Florida St first though.

Norvell Jr is the real deal, I think if he stays through his senior year he can be one of the best Zags of all time.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":10ol2u9g said:
Nice win for the Zags. Can't stand them but respect them.

I think Zags have a great shot at reaching the final four. I don't think they are a top four team, but the path is there. If they meet Xavier, they will have to travel all the way out to LA. All the #1 seeds get to stay close to home except for Xavier, so it should be a neutral crowd or a Zags crowd. Got to see if they get by Florida St first though.

Norvell Jr is the real deal, I think if he stays through his senior year he can be one of the best Zags of all time.

Headline: Insufferable Husky fan can't stand the Zags. :p

Great win for the Zags. I hope they can get back and avenge that hose job they received in the championship last year.