World Cup 2014

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. RATING: PG-13
Re: World Cup 2014
Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:51 pm
  • Ochoa's point.

    Game of the tournament thus far?

    Best 90 minutes thus far IMO. Great game
    Image
    Man up, stand in line.
    User avatar
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *
     
    Posts: 4408
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
    Location: Brier, WA


Re: World Cup 2014
Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:52 pm
  • Draw was probably the correct result, but I wanted to see the explosion if there was a goal. Amazing match.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

    RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    User avatar
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *
     
    Posts: 15784
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:02 am
    Location: Portland, OR


Re: World Cup 2014
Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:57 pm
  • and damn...is the back 3/5 making one hell of a showing here at this world cup...


    seems to be this years 4231.

    Netherlands, Chile, Mexico all using it.
    Image
    Man up, stand in line.
    User avatar
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *
     
    Posts: 4408
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
    Location: Brier, WA


Re: World Cup 2014
Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:01 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:Out of curiosity (onlybecause I dont know, not out of challenge) what players like Sterling has England produced of late



    There's been a long list of smaller, pacy players coming through the England ranks. It's the one thing we continuously churn out. Walcott was considered the next big thing when he scored a hat trick against Croatia in 2010 WC qualifying. Before that Wright Phillips was hyped up. In 2012 it was Oxlaide Chamberlain. There are other examples. We're good at producing this type of player.

    We severely need better options up front. We're going through a dry patch at the back. But more than anything we need more Barkley's. Comfortable on the ball, technically brilliant, not afraid to shoot. Exciting, exciting player. Should be starting in this competition.

    The list of players you named for England to build around IMO was totally underwhelming.
    User avatar
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8285
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:13 am


Re: World Cup 2014
Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:03 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Silky Johnson wrote:
    LyndseyG wrote:I admit, hubby and I haven't really been that into this World Cup... Currently Brazil are playing Mexico...

    It's kinda weird watching soccer...


    Don't know what to tell you. This is a great match. Mexico is playing as good as I've seen in awhile peppering shots on Brazil and both teams are playing good defense and Mexico's keeper has made some great plays. I like that the ref is letting them play. This might be the best game I've seen this World Cup so far. Other than the USA/Ghana of course.



    soccer-wise this is the best game of the tournament by far.


    Normally we follow the tournament much closer than this... I've no idea why this time is different. :?
    I am an American Football Noobie... Please be gentle!! :-)
    I'M IN AND I BELIEVE!
    Image
    User avatar
    LyndseyG
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 275
    Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:29 pm
    Location: Clacton On Sea, Britain


Re: World Cup 2014
Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:30 pm
  • theENGLISHseahawk wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:Out of curiosity (onlybecause I dont know, not out of challenge) what players like Sterling has England produced of late



    There's been a long list of smaller, pacy players coming through the England ranks. It's the one thing we continuously churn out. Walcott was considered the next big thing when he scored a hat trick against Croatia in 2010 WC qualifying. Before that Wright Phillips was hyped up. In 2012 it was Oxlaide Chamberlain. There are other examples. We're good at producing this type of player.

    We severely need better options up front. We're going through a dry patch at the back. But more than anything we need more Barkley's. Comfortable on the ball, technically brilliant, not afraid to shoot. Exciting, exciting player. Should be starting in this competition.

    The list of players you named for England to build around IMO was totally underwhelming.


    I'd disagree on those comparisons save ox cham, and because the two have transitioned to the #10 and aren't out and out wingers. Their skill set is more than just the pace down the wing with a lofty cross...

    For me its a good foundation.. But I'm not English so am not invested as much in it.
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5577
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: World Cup 2014
Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:31 pm
  • LyndseyG wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    Silky Johnson wrote:
    LyndseyG wrote:I admit, hubby and I haven't really been that into this World Cup... Currently Brazil are playing Mexico...

    It's kinda weird watching soccer...


    Don't know what to tell you. This is a great match. Mexico is playing as good as I've seen in awhile peppering shots on Brazil and both teams are playing good defense and Mexico's keeper has made some great plays. I like that the ref is letting them play. This might be the best game I've seen this World Cup so far. Other than the USA/Ghana of course.



    soccer-wise this is the best game of the tournament by far.


    Normally we follow the tournament much closer than this... I've no idea why this time is different. :?


    Enjoy it!
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5577
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: World Cup 2014
Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:38 pm
  • That was the best 0-0 draw I've ever seen. Lots of counter-attacking going on there. Brazil was really good at forcing a turnover or blocking a free kick and turning it into an offensive counter at the other end. Those were some awesome saves by Mexico's keeper.
    "If given the opportunity without fear of incarceration, I would honestly beat the living **** out of Jerry Rice."

    --Internet tough guy HawkWow being a MAN on the internet
    User avatar
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3755
    Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:30 pm
    Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest


Re: World Cup 2014
Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:05 pm
  • That was a very exciting 0-0 draw to watch. Good back and forth. I wasn't expecting Mexico to play such sound defense to be honest. They wasted a ton of chances by not hitting the target. Ochoa was definitely MOTM.

    For me, the most exciting games to watch so far were Ivory Coast v. Japan and USA v. Ghana.
    User avatar
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1088
    Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:37 am
    Location: Bellinghome


Re: World Cup 2014
Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:25 pm
  • That, boys & girls, is what you call a Howler.
    Image
    You are absolutely entitled to state your opinion whenever you wish, and I am absolutely entitled to point out the stupidity of that opinion with the same frequency.
    User avatar
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 7019
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:38 pm
    Location: Hagerstown, MD


Re: World Cup 2014
Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:26 pm
  • Russian goalie ain't an Ochoa is he?
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

    RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    User avatar
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *
     
    Posts: 15784
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:02 am
    Location: Portland, OR


Re: World Cup 2014
Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:00 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:I'd disagree on those comparisons save ox cham, and because the two have transitioned to the #10 and aren't out and out wingers. Their skill set is more than just the pace down the wing with a lofty cross...


    Walcott has played up front, started there in fact. Wright Phillips played in an area where 4-4-2 dominated with width.

    They're all very similar players. I like Sterling a lot but he's of that mould.
    User avatar
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8285
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:13 am


Re: World Cup 2014
Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:54 pm
  • theENGLISHseahawk wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:I'd disagree on those comparisons save ox cham, and because the two have transitioned to the #10 and aren't out and out wingers. Their skill set is more than just the pace down the wing with a lofty cross...


    Walcott has played up front, started there in fact. Wright Phillips played in an area where 4-4-2 dominated with width.

    They're all very similar players. I like Sterling a lot but he's of that mould.


    Meant more in the 10, as an attacking mid. I see Barkley or sterling in that role at both club or country.

    Seen much of Ibe?

    What kind of player are you looking for with England?

    Also, Gerrard's getting a lot of stick in England for his performance... Fair?
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5577
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: World Cup 2014
Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:58 pm
  • Who was it that told me I was crazy for thinking Mexico would make it out of group stage? And Costa Rica should make it also.
    43-8...it's all about that action boss....
    next man up.
    User avatar
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8300
    Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:46 pm
    Location: Kansas City, MO


Re: World Cup 2014
Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:16 pm
  • MizzouHawkGal wrote:Who was it that told me I was crazy for thinking Mexico would make it out of group stage? And Costa Rica should make it also.


    I said they'd lose to Brazil... Took one of the best performances of a keeper in decades to ensure it they didn't. Hell of a game

    Happy? (And you didn't say they'd make it out..you whined about them winning and for some reason its negative impact on the US)

    They're aren't out yet (Croatia is pretty good) but I'm rooting for them

    Why are you so down on them?
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5577
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: World Cup 2014
Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:46 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    MizzouHawkGal wrote:Who was it that told me I was crazy for thinking Mexico would make it out of group stage? And Costa Rica should make it also.


    I said they'd lose to Brazil... Took one of the best performances of a keeper in decades to ensure it they didn't. Hell of a game

    Happy? (And you didn't say they'd make it out..you whined about them winning and for some reason its negative impact on the US)

    They're aren't out yet (Croatia is pretty good) but I'm rooting for them

    Why are you so down on them?

    I'm not down on them I believe CONCACAF is strong this cycle and I'm pissed we're in a ridiculously hard Group while the others aren't. It's way past time they use actual seedlings like the NCAA basketball tournament. We have 2/4/13 in ONE group? That's just stupid. And the winning wasn't against Brazil. I never said they'd win the group ever just that it's a weak group.
    43-8...it's all about that action boss....
    next man up.
    User avatar
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8300
    Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:46 pm
    Location: Kansas City, MO


Re: World Cup 2014
Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:04 pm
  • what would it take to get Ochoa in a Sounder uniform? Get er done...Adrian!
    User avatar
    hawkfan68
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 4189
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:10 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: World Cup 2014
Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:20 am
  • Congrats to the US for making it btw !!!! I was really surprised to see how soccer is growing here in Seattle. But sorry guys, I was rooting for Ghana. Overall, I root for African teams because most of their players play in France...
    User avatar
    Nog
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 187
    Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:26 pm
    Location: Seattle


Re: World Cup 2014
Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:41 am
  • Smelly McUgly wrote:That was the best 0-0 draw I've ever seen. Lots of counter-attacking going on there. Brazil was really good at forcing a turnover or blocking a free kick and turning it into an offensive counter at the other end. Those were some awesome saves by Mexico's keeper.

    True that. At the same time, I have to say that's probably the weakest Brazilian team I've ever seen. Brasilia used to offer the best technician in the world, and now I only see butchers on the field (exception 2 or 3 players).
    User avatar
    Nog
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 187
    Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:26 pm
    Location: Seattle


Re: World Cup 2014
Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:44 am
  • MizzouHawkGal wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    MizzouHawkGal wrote:Who was it that told me I was crazy for thinking Mexico would make it out of group stage? And Costa Rica should make it also.


    I said they'd lose to Brazil... Took one of the best performances of a keeper in decades to ensure it they didn't. Hell of a game

    Happy? (And you didn't say they'd make it out..you whined about them winning and for some reason its negative impact on the US)

    They're aren't out yet (Croatia is pretty good) but I'm rooting for them

    Why are you so down on them?

    I'm not down on them I believe CONCACAF is strong this cycle and I'm pissed we're in a ridiculously hard Group while the others aren't. It's way past time they use actual seedlings like the NCAA basketball tournament. We have 2/4/13 in ONE group? That's just stupid. And the winning wasn't against Brazil. I never said they'd win the group ever just that it's a weak group.


    Its just a random (relatively at least) draw. In 2010 we had a fairly light group.

    Despite how tough our group is I do like that we get to play Ronaldo and zee Germanz
    Last edited by Uncle Si on Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5577
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: World Cup 2014
Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:45 am
  • Re: the merits of a seeded v random draw -

    I think I prefer it this way. It creates more interest in both the group stage and the 1st knockout round as a) everyone loves to see a 'power' sent packing in embarrassment and b) it generates excitement having a 'lesser' team unexpectedly make it through to the next round, with the prospect of knocking out one of the favourites. And if you think are good enough to win the world cup then you shouldn't object to the idea of having one extra tough group game. It also doesn't always work out as it seems it will anyway: the Germany v Portugal game was an unexpected cakewalk for Germany, likewise Holland v Spain; Brazil have looked deficient in several areas.

    Grantland made a seeded draw recently which looked, to me, less interesting:

    http://grantland.com/the-triangle/group ... t-seeding/

    It is also worth noting that the draw itself is an big FIFA TV event, a la the NFL draft, so it's not worth getting your hopes up any time soon.
    User avatar
    Hawkspur
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1296
    Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:12 pm


Re: World Cup 2014
Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:57 am
  • Hawkspur wrote:Re: the merits of a seeded v random draw -

    I think I prefer it this way. It creates more interest in both the group stage and the 1st knockout round as a) everyone loves to see a 'power' sent packing in embarrassment and b) it generates excitement having a 'lesser' team unexpectedly make it through to the next round, with the prospect of knocking out one of the favourites. And if you think are good enough to win the world cup then you shouldn't object to the idea of having one extra tough group game. It also doesn't always work out as it seems it will anyway: the Germany v Portugal game was an unexpected cakewalk for Germany, likewise Holland v Spain; Brazil have looked deficient in several areas.

    Grantland made a seeded draw recently which looked, to me, less interesting:

    http://grantland.com/the-triangle/group ... t-seeding/

    It is also worth noting that the draw itself is an big FIFA TV event, a la the NFL draft, so it's not worth getting your hopes up any time soon.



    What have you thought of the tournamet so far Hawkspur? the World Cup isnt always the best soccer but these games (outside one dire contest) have been very entertaining in my opinion.

    Watching Vertognen, Chadli and Dembele struggle with Belgium I was half ready to see Tim Sherwood excuse himself to the front row of the stands and join the fans.
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5577
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: World Cup 2014
Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:23 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Hawkspur wrote:Re: the merits of a seeded v random draw -

    I think I prefer it this way. It creates more interest in both the group stage and the 1st knockout round as a) everyone loves to see a 'power' sent packing in embarrassment and b) it generates excitement having a 'lesser' team unexpectedly make it through to the next round, with the prospect of knocking out one of the favourites. And if you think are good enough to win the world cup then you shouldn't object to the idea of having one extra tough group game. It also doesn't always work out as it seems it will anyway: the Germany v Portugal game was an unexpected cakewalk for Germany, likewise Holland v Spain; Brazil have looked deficient in several areas.

    Grantland made a seeded draw recently which looked, to me, less interesting:

    http://grantland.com/the-triangle/group ... t-seeding/

    It is also worth noting that the draw itself is an big FIFA TV event, a la the NFL draft, so it's not worth getting your hopes up any time soon.



    What have you thought of the tournamet so far Hawkspur? the World Cup isnt always the best soccer but these games (outside one dire contest) have been very entertaining in my opinion.

    Watching Vertognen, Chadli and Dembele struggle with Belgium I was half ready to see Tim Sherwood excuse himself to the front row of the stands and join the fans.


    Well obviously we'd all rather bring back the vuvuzelas at the expense of the myriad close ups of beautiful Brazilian women in the crowd, but asides from that it has been fun so far. Loved seeing Spain getting thrashed. Also enjoyed it that the 2 players most likely to screw their teams by getting sent off duly obliged (Palacios and Pepe). I enjoyed seeing France and Holland looking strong again, although I think this is Germany's Cup to lose. Brazil look like they have too many holes. Italy have Pirlo and Balotelli and little else. England have a solid young squad but lack a world class game changer and are still hindered by having Hodgson.

    Everyone over here seems to hate Andy Townsend the most, but I'm truly detesting the fact that the BBC have inflicted Mark Lawrenson upon us again. The least they could do is find someone who actually enjoys football to add colour, rather than issessantly whinging (usually incorrectly, I might add) about the referees and cheating foreigners.

    The Spurs players who were useless during the season have carried their form with them (Paulinho & The Belgies) which is disappointing. Vertonghen's penalty was reflective of the lazy defending we attempted to endure all season long.
    User avatar
    Hawkspur
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1296
    Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:12 pm


Re: World Cup 2014
Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:26 am
  • Holy Tim Cahill!

    We have a new "Goal of the Tournament"

    Stunning, and seconds after conceding.

    Agreed Spur on Hodgson (and the Brazilians who are kind enough to wear very little and yet attend every match) English isnt too fond of the squad itself, but I feel like England have the players, just not the invention from the touch line.
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5577
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: World Cup 2014
Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:28 am
  • Tim Cahill kicked that ball before it landed and put it just over the outstretched hand of the keeper, but also just scraped the bottom of the crossbar to get that in. The degree of difficulty on that looked INSANE.
    "If given the opportunity without fear of incarceration, I would honestly beat the living **** out of Jerry Rice."

    --Internet tough guy HawkWow being a MAN on the internet
    User avatar
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3755
    Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:30 pm
    Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest


Re: World Cup 2014
Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:35 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:Holy Tim Cahill!

    We have a new "Goal of the Tournament"

    Stunning, and seconds after conceding.

    Agreed Spur on Hodgson (and the Brazilians who are kind enough to wear very little and yet attend every match) English isnt too fond of the squad itself, but I feel like England have the players, just not the invention from the touch line.


    I love volley shots. Way to answer the bell Aussie's!

    https://vine.co/v/MTu50EVPXmd
    User avatar
    Silky Johnson
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 59
    Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:05 am


Re: World Cup 2014
Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:13 am
  • If the Aussies hang on to win, I will be SO upset that Cahill will miss the next match. Australia getting out of this group would be amazing.
    "If given the opportunity without fear of incarceration, I would honestly beat the living **** out of Jerry Rice."

    --Internet tough guy HawkWow being a MAN on the internet
    User avatar
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3755
    Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:30 pm
    Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest


Re: World Cup 2014
Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:43 am
  • Smelly McUgly wrote:If the Aussies hang on to win, I will be SO upset that Cahill will miss the next match. Australia getting out of this group would be amazing.


    Would be a huge kick in the nuts to the people who think there should be a seeded tournament. (Though they'd use it as an argument in their favor for seeding.) Looks like NED is going to take the three points here, however.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

    RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    User avatar
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *
     
    Posts: 15784
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:02 am
    Location: Portland, OR


Re: World Cup 2014
Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:42 am
  • Sarlacc83 wrote:
    Smelly McUgly wrote:If the Aussies hang on to win, I will be SO upset that Cahill will miss the next match. Australia getting out of this group would be amazing.


    Would be a huge kick in the nuts to the people who think there should be a seeded tournament. (Though they'd use it as an argument in their favor for seeding.) Looks like NED is going to take the three points here, however.


    i highly doubt any such conversation around seeding the entire field will ever take place. and even if you did seed 1-32, you're still going to have to come up with 8 groups of 4, and will run into similar issues with strong teams being drawn together, and 2-3 groups have 3 really good teams.

    Just for giggles, here is what it would like seeded by FIFA rankings:

    Group A
    Spain, France, Costa Rica, Australia
    Group B
    Germany, Netherlands, Ecuador, S. Korea
    Group C
    Brazil, Chile, Ivory Coast, Cameroon
    Group D
    Portugal, USA, Algeria, Japan
    Group E
    Argentina, Greece, Bosnia, Nigeria
    Group F
    Swiss, Belgium, Mexico, Iran
    Group G
    Uruguay, England, Russia, Ghana
    Group H
    Colombia, Italy, Croatia, Honduras
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5577
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: World Cup 2014
Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:21 am
  • Spain already down. Netherlands game might not be a fluke.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

    RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    User avatar
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *
     
    Posts: 15784
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:02 am
    Location: Portland, OR


Re: World Cup 2014
Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:55 am
  • When was the last time the defending champion failed to make it out of the group stage?
    Image
    You are absolutely entitled to state your opinion whenever you wish, and I am absolutely entitled to point out the stupidity of that opinion with the same frequency.
    User avatar
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 7019
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:38 pm
    Location: Hagerstown, MD


Re: World Cup 2014
Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:20 pm
  • France in 2002, it looks like. Brazil faltered in 1966. Scratch that. Italy 2010 was the last.
    Last edited by Sarlacc83 on Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

    RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    User avatar
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *
     
    Posts: 15784
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:02 am
    Location: Portland, OR


Re: World Cup 2014
Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:21 pm
  • Spain = Dumpster Fire
    Image
    Man up, stand in line.
    User avatar
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *
     
    Posts: 4408
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
    Location: Brier, WA


Re: World Cup 2014
Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:28 pm
  • Looks like Ronaldo's world cup is over. Fantastic news for the U.S
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 313
    Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:57 pm


Re: World Cup 2014
Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:12 pm
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Looks like Ronaldo's world cup is over. Fantastic news for the U.S



    Yes in one sense

    Would've been great to see our players up against the best in the world..

    Germany will have to do
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5577
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: World Cup 2014
Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:19 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Looks like Ronaldo's world cup is over. Fantastic news for the U.S



    Yes in one sense

    Would've been great to see our players up against the best in the world..

    Germany will have to do


    Germany will have rested their players by that point i'd guess.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 313
    Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:57 pm


Re: World Cup 2014
Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:40 pm
  • Hopefully, the U.S. takes all three points on Sunday so if Germany also wins, they'll have to play their best players against us for at least a bit in order to secure a better seed in the knockouts.

    This World Cup has been super-fun. The World Cup always fires me up to watch soccer, and then I don't keep up with it, kinda like when I get a new FIFA game and that gets me watching for a bit. I have been watching more Sounders matches this year (and enjoying them because I have a rooting interest), so hopefully I'll stick with it a bit more this year.
    "If given the opportunity without fear of incarceration, I would honestly beat the living **** out of Jerry Rice."

    --Internet tough guy HawkWow being a MAN on the internet
    User avatar
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3755
    Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:30 pm
    Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest


Re: World Cup 2014
Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:51 pm
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Looks like Ronaldo's world cup is over. Fantastic news for the U.S



    Yes in one sense

    Would've been great to see our players up against the best in the world..

    Germany will have to do


    Germany will have rested their players by that point i'd guess.


    That's assuming quite a bit. Ghana may get something from them. But yes, there's a decent chance we see a reduced German squad.

    Still...that's a pretty good squad
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5577
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: World Cup 2014
Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:53 pm
  • Cameroon just fell apart at the seam. Looks like it's Brazil and whoever comes out of the Mexico/Croatia match. Latter needs the win, Mexico can afford the tie.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

    RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    User avatar
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *
     
    Posts: 15784
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:02 am
    Location: Portland, OR


Re: World Cup 2014
Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:03 am
  • Sarlacc83 wrote:Cameroon just fell apart at the seam. Looks like it's Brazil and whoever comes out of the Mexico/Croatia match. Latter needs the win, Mexico can afford the tie.


    Draw sends Mexico through. Will be interesting to see how they approach the match. Sit and counter or try and outplay Croatia.

    Croatia is good, and that midfield of there's is very dangerous. I see them controlling play and pressing Mexico. This will leave counters for the Mexicans however, and we saw first hand that the Croat defense isnt the strongest.

    Chile and Netherlands will play to see who gets Brazil in the knockouts. goal differential puts the Dutch in command, with a tie securing the top and placing Chile in Brazil's path. What a match either would make.
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5577
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: World Cup 2014
Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:39 am
  • Altidore is ruled out against Portugal. That's a big hit for the U.S. Is Ronaldo out for sure? I didn't see anything about him being out on the Fox World Cup website. I figured him being out would be a top news story.
    User avatar
    hawkfan68
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 4189
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:10 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: World Cup 2014
Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:11 am
  • hawkfan68 wrote:Altidore is ruled out against Portugal. That's a big hit for the U.S. Is Ronaldo out for sure? I didn't see anything about him being out on the Fox World Cup website. I figured him being out would be a top news story.


    I think we all anticipated Altidore being out. Personally i dont think we would see him until at earlies the round of 16.

    Ronaldo is "100%" apparently
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5577
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: World Cup 2014
Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:00 am
  • Aww yeah more soccer!

    I think the Uruguay/England match might be a real good one today.
    User avatar
    Silky Johnson
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 59
    Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:05 am


Re: World Cup 2014
Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:49 am
  • Silky Johnson wrote:Aww yeah more soccer!

    I think the Uruguay/England match might be a real good one today.



    Liverpool vs.... well, Liverpool

    Winner advances, loser is done. Going to be a great match actually.
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5577
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: World Cup 2014
Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:13 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:Winner advances, loser is done

    Which means we're probably looking at a draw. :)
    Image
    You are absolutely entitled to state your opinion whenever you wish, and I am absolutely entitled to point out the stupidity of that opinion with the same frequency.
    User avatar
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 7019
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:38 pm
    Location: Hagerstown, MD


Re: World Cup 2014
Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:34 am
  • SeatownJay wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:Winner advances, loser is done

    Which means we're probably looking at a draw. :)



    true true, but we can hope for something like 3-3.

    Neither team can defend for s--- and you have Sturridge and Suarez on the field.
    Might be fun
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5577
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: World Cup 2014
Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:48 am
  • Well the first 25 minutes or so was ugly. #3 for Uruguay should be tossed, I think he has a captain band on his arm though so maybe he gets a longer leash. I feel for Rooney, he's busting his ass but the upper "V" goalpost got him on that header, but he's creating opportunities as well. Hope the 2nd half is better for both teams.
    User avatar
    Silky Johnson
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 59
    Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:05 am


Re: World Cup 2014
Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:34 pm
  • Yay Rooney!!
    I am an American Football Noobie... Please be gentle!! :-)
    I'M IN AND I BELIEVE!
    Image
    User avatar
    LyndseyG
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 275
    Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:29 pm
    Location: Clacton On Sea, Britain


Re: World Cup 2014
Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:47 pm
  • Maybe not...
    I am an American Football Noobie... Please be gentle!! :-)
    I'M IN AND I BELIEVE!
    Image
    User avatar
    LyndseyG
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 275
    Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:29 pm
    Location: Clacton On Sea, Britain


Re: World Cup 2014
Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:47 pm
  • Silky Johnson wrote:Well the first 25 minutes or so was ugly. #3 for Uruguay should be tossed, I think he has a captain band on his arm though so maybe he gets a longer leash. I feel for Rooney, he's busting his ass but the upper "V" goalpost got him on that header, but he's creating opportunities as well. Hope the 2nd half is better for both teams.



    Gerrard to Suarez!!

    but seriously... thats just awful defending from the English.
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5577
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


PreviousNext


It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:54 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]




Information
  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: Tune and 2 guests