Former Bears GM Jerry Angelo confirms...

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
What anybody with a functioning brain knows - that GMs/coaches/etc. literally spent their careers ignoring countless domestic violence incidents with their players.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11672 ... es-ignored

Jerry Angelo":2ijjykwb said:
Former Chicago Bears general manager Jerry Angelo said NFL teams didn't discipline players in "hundreds and hundreds" of domestic violence incidents during his 30-year career, USA Today reported Thursday.

"I made a mistake," Angelo told the newspaper. "I was human. I was part of it. I'm not proud of it."

kidhawk

Reaction score
I'm not shocked at all. I think anyone who's paid any attention have seen arrests that make the local paper, the team makes some statement about letting the courts handle it and that's really the last you hear of it.

IMO there is plenty of blame to go around, from the judicial system, to the NFL itself, to the individual teams' front offices to the media. Nobody really cared until they saw the video. Everyone knows about domestic violence, but as his human nature, it's easier to ignore something you don't see. Once you see it like we did in the Rice case, then people become horrified by exactly what they already knew was going on.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
I think this is but one of many things that would sicken most people to discover about Professional Football.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Evil_Shenanigans":135ezdzg said:
I think this is but one of many things that would sicken most people to discover about Professional Football.

Why? It's not like the NFL is exclusive here. Pretty much every company in America has someone working there that has committed an act of Domestic Violence. Courts have looked the other way or given slaps on the wrist for domestic violence, and even the general populous has mostly looked the other way when it comes to this issue.

CANHawk

Reaction score
Gotta lump fans in there too Kid. Sure I think DV is disgusting... but I was as glad as anyone when LeRoy Hill avoided significant suspension because... hell... who's going to play the Will if LeRoy's suspended..?

kidhawk

Reaction score
CANHawk":39khk5hq said:
Gotta lump fans in there too Kid. Sure I think DV is disgusting... but I was as glad as anyone when LeRoy Hill avoided significant suspension because... hell... who's going to play the Will if LeRoy's suspended..?

General populous is meant to cover the average citizen and basically the majority of individuals.

chris98251

Reaction score
You think any of this is a surprise, for the last 30 years most players have been coddled, looked out for, given a pass, get their grades fixed with courses like swimming pool cleaning etc. You think the Domestic Violence situation over their careers has not been covered up unless they do something so big that it's almost impossible to do. Look at Jeremy Stevens here in Seattle and his history from High School thru the UW and then as a Pro.

nanomoz

Reaction score
For what it's worth: it's accounts like these--that display accountability and regret--from people that were/are high on the brass' food chain, that seem to really influence policy.

lsheldon

Reaction score
Jerry Angelo now claims he embellished his comments on "hundreds" as a way of drawing attention to all that is wrong with the NFL.

Angelo said Friday he was embellishing as a way to draw attention to a heightened sensitivity to the issue in the wake of the Ray Rice matter that has created national outage with the NFL's handling of domestic violence and has prompted the league to address the matter.

"I'm not going to say I didn't say (hundreds) but I was in the emotion of embellishment," Angelo told USA TODAY Sports on Friday.

"I was using it for all the things that I've seen that need to be changed or weren't right at that time. We were talking about domestic violence. That was part of it, but not all of it.''

Angelo would not elaborate on what other issues to which he was referring.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/for ... ar-BB8zBx3

Latest posts