O Line specialties: 49er fans weigh in too

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":1ae11poy said:
Can you have a great pass blocking O-line that is also superior at run blocking and good with a mobile QB?
The mobile QB part is irrelevant, but yes. Look at Dallas in the 90s...and Dallas in 2014 now, for that matter - looks like they are on the verge of having a fantastically great overall O-line now going forward.

I probably sound like a broken record, but every draft season I say I'd love it if we draft an O-lineman in the first couple rounds every single year. You can NEVER have too good of an O-line.

NEVER EVER EVER.

Trrrroy

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":cotd424p said:
The_Z_Man":cotd424p said:
Can you have a great pass blocking O-line that is also superior at run blocking and good with a mobile QB?
The mobile QB part is irrelevant, but yes. Look at Dallas in the 90s...and Dallas in 2014 now, for that matter - looks like they are on the verge of having a fantastically great overall O-line now going forward.

I probably sound like a broken record, but every draft season I say I'd love it if we draft an O-lineman in the first couple rounds every single year. You can NEVER have too good of an O-line.

NEVER EVER EVER.

You can never have too good of a D-line either. Or secondary. Or Wr core. Or TE group. Or any position on a team.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":327g6exq said:
The_Z_Man":327g6exq said:

NEVER EVER EVER.
Please that o-line is crap at pass blocking Romo escaped 3-4 sure sacks on his own combined with Watts's piss poor tackling technique. Romo used about 8 of his 9 lives just in that game. It's going to get ugly this Sunday... Shando is going to make a YouTube video beyond epic proportions trust me.

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Trrrroy":g0aqs631 said:
You can never have too good of a D-line either. Or secondary. Or Wr core. Or TE group. Or any position on a team.
None of those units you list are as important as the O-line. QB then O-line, two most important components of a football team, IMO.

Mizzou - we'll see; and I said "on the verge of", keep in mind. As in, not yet.

HuskerHawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":aschzmmb said:
Trrrroy":aschzmmb said:
None of those units you list are as important as the O-line. QB then O-line, two most important components of a football team, IMO.

I would typically agree with you Roland, but Pete and John have curiously built one of the most talented teams top to bottom in years by not employing this strategy. I wonder how much RW's special abilities have made this possible.

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
HuskerHawk":vhhhzq61 said:
I would typically agree with you Roland, but Pete and John have curiously built one of the most talented teams top to bottom in years by not employing this strategy. I wonder how much RW's special abilities have made this possible.

Quite a bit, IMO. Do you really think it's long-term sustainable for his career, though?

The Battle #83

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1doaudy0 said:
Trrrroy":1doaudy0 said:

Agreed RolandDeschain but i would like to add pass rusher.
I think it goes
1. QB
2. O-line/Pass rusher

HuskerHawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1x478dz1 said:
HuskerHawk":1x478dz1 said:

Quite a bit, IMO. Do you really think it's long-term sustainable for his career, though?
Not really no. I actually think the situation is coming to a head in the next year or so. It has to be improved.

Smellyman

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3iju1npq said:
The_Z_Man":3iju1npq said:

NEVER EVER EVER.

this isn't college where you can take 5 every class and still have 20 other players to sign. You need to be pretty judicious with only 7 draft picks.

Trrrroy

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":r5gedvun said:
Trrrroy":r5gedvun said:

I disagree. It starts with the quarterback, yes, but from there it's all just how you want build your team. The 2008 Steelers won a superbowl with a terrible O-line; Rodger's O-line was awful the year got his ring; the 2011 Giants O-line was nothing special, yet they won a second superbowl against a NE team with one of the best O-lines in the NFL that season; 2012 Ravens line was nothing to write home about; the Seahawks had a very mediocre line last season, yet were the best team in the NFL, and it appears to be the same this season.

The O-line is important sure, but how important is relative. Spending high pick after high pick on it is going to hurt an NFL team more than help them, especially since it is one of the few position groups where solid starters are frequently found in the middle and late rounds.

hawk45

Reaction score
I just think we'll never have good pass pro while Cable's here. He wants smaller, quicker guys who run-block well and he emphasizes run-blocking more than pass-blocking.

I'm not saying I want Cable gone at all. Just that our QBs had better be mobile as long as he's around.