Excess Calls Unwatchable

Abach

Reaction score
I know I'm beating a dead horse, but I'm having a hard time enjoying non-seahawk games due to the insane amount of flags thrown. Too many on the defense and too little to none on o line holding. Really hate the direction the league is headed... thoughts?

Marvin49

Reaction score
Abach":30p548m8 said:
I know I'm beating a dead horse, but I'm having a hard time enjoying non-seahawk games due to the insane amount of flags thrown. Too many on the defense and too little to none on o line holding. Really hate the direction the league is headed... thoughts?

Don't get me started.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Let's just have no officials or penalty flags. Let 'em play! We don't need no stinkin' player discipline to avoid breaking the game's rules 'round these parts!

SF49r

Reaction score
I think they should stop giving automatic first downs on penalties. If anything I think they should just replay the down if the penalty affected the outcome of the play. 3 fresh set of downs is pushing it and can really affect the outcome of some games.

Chapow

Reaction score
Well, what are the refs supposed to do? It's their job to call a penalty if they see one. You want them to stop throwing flags when players commit penalties? Is this going to be completely at the discretion of each individual ref? Like at some point in the game they decide that they've called too many penalties and for the rest of the game they just don't call any more?

I hate all the penalties too, but it's not the refs fault for calling the penalties, it's the players fault for committing so many damn penalties. And if the rules are such that it's basically impossible to play the game without constantly committing penalties then that's a problem with the rules, not the refs.

Cartire

Reaction score
My biggest complaint is the inconsistency of calling holding. It's a large penalty for being called whenever they feel like it. I really feel like more games are being easily manipulated by subconscience bias. I don't think the officials are purposely trying to f someone over, but if you dislike a team or some of its personnel, It's not hard to imagine someone paying more attention that them.

Chapow

Reaction score
SF49r":24g8she4 said:
I think they should stop giving automatic first downs on penalties. If anything I think they should just replay the down if the penalty affected the outcome of the play. 3 fresh set of downs is pushing it and can really affect the outcome of some games.

I think there would be a dramatic rise in the number of intentional penalties if they did that. Why give up a big play when all you have to do is commit a penalty and they'll just replay the down?

SF49r

Reaction score
Chapow":11o41h9x said:
SF49r":11o41h9x said:

I think there would be a dramatic rise in the number of intentional penalties if they did that. Why give up a big play when all you have to do is commit a penalty and they'll just replay the down?
It can still be declined. I am mostly talking about the illegal contact calls on 3rd down, instead of giving the offense an extra set of downs give them another shot at the 3rd down. I think it's fair to the defense and the offense.

Barakas

Reaction score
Just goes to show....be careful what you wish for.

All we heard for the last two years is how Seattle cheats and gets away with it because they know the refs will not call every single penalty.

Well, congrats everyone...you got exactly what you wanted, well except for the fact that Seattle has been penalized the least with the new emphasis.

:sarcasm_on: Of course this fact will just feed all of the conspiracy theories that the NFL wants Seattle to win.... :sarcasm_off:

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Barakas":3izlvi0g said:

All we heard for the last two years is how Seattle cheats and gets away with it because they know the refs will not call every single penalty.

Well, congrats everyone...you got exactly what you wanted, well except for the fact that Seattle has been penalized the least with the new emphasis.

:sarcasm_on: Of course this fact will just feed all of the conspiracy theories that the NFL wants Seattle to win.... :sarcasm_off:

Not really. The hawks are very well coached. They were very well coached when they were better at pushing the limits of five yard contact than other teams, and they're just as well coached since they've more succesfully incorporated the new rules than other teams. In both instances the constant has been that they've been very well coached, which shouldn't surprise anyone.

Basically, IMO Hawks fans gloating about the lack of defensive passing penalties for their team so far are 1) underselling how well coached their players are in order to score some silly point against comments-section trolls and 2) setting themselves up for an aneurysm when the bullet happens to come up the Hawks' way in the russian roulette if ticky-tacky defensive holding penalties.

Personally the new rules don't bother me*, and I think anyone expecting the transition to players following them and refs correctly calling them two games through the regular season should have probably gotten their expectations in check. ;)

*And you know they REALLY don't bother me given that the 9ers got popped with some really crazy ones, and game changing ones, on both offense and defense so far (which I don't complain about because, calls, like bounces, go both ways over time, and it's just the way it goes).

hawker84

Reaction score
I'll just take Deon Sanders words to heart when he say's "they're making it impossible to play defensive back in the NFL".

That's coming from the best corner to ever play the game. And I agree, the new rules blow. By the way Irvin agreed with him. I think Irvin is scum, but he is a HOF reciever, that to me says volumes..

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
hawker84":3qcqliwo said:
I'll just take Deon Sanders words to heart when he say's "they're making it impossible to play defensive back in the NFL".

That's coming from the best corner to ever play the game. And I agree, the new rules blow. By the way Irving agreed with him. I think Irving is scum, but he is a HOF reciever, that to me says volumes..
Now that is news. If they're not careful the NFL will turn into Arena Football and they will kill the Golden Goose.

Jville

Reaction score
Interesting. At one time I followed a dozen NFL teams (with enthusiasm) and could name every current player on each team from memory. Today, my interest has consolidated around only one team .... the Seahawks

Today, I watch virtually all Seahawk games remotely via a broadcast. For me, today's NFL football is an unbalanced circus. In it's current format, I think it is most useful for generating numbers and excitement for fantasy football and Madden. Activities I chose to ignore. Locally, sports bars have emptied out over the years for most NFL games. In truth, all the noise associated with live commercial broadcasts began to run me off from most live television many years ago. What little television I now watch is prerecorded. I access that prerecorded material at my convenience and fast forward thru all the trash. Viewing a telecast isn't the social event or as much fun as it once was. And, DVD recording and playback is "the" reason I still indulge in view some selective broadcasts.

P.S. I not among those who is view the NFL sponsored commercials nor can I recall the content of the trash I'm skipping past.

Chapow

Reaction score
SF49r":1asp6wjq said:
Chapow":1asp6wjq said:
SF49r":1asp6wjq said:

It can still be declined. I am mostly talking about the illegal contact calls on 3rd down, instead of giving the offense an extra set of downs give them another shot at the 3rd down. I think it's fair to the defense and the offense.

I don't think you understood what I was saying.

The defense can't decline a penalty that was called on them. If a defender is faced with either giving up a big play for a 1st down or committing a penalty to stop that big play and the only repercussion is that the down will be replayed, what do you think is going to happen?

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^^ Yep. Limiting that idea to just third downs means that you have the exact same problem, but it's just a problem in the instances when it matters most.

Barakas

Reaction score
Popeyejones":19k0wz7g said:
Barakas":19k0wz7g said:

Basically, IMO Hawks fans gloating about the lack of defensive passing penalties for their team so far are 1) underselling how well coached their players are in order to score some silly point against comments-section trolls and 2) setting themselves up for an aneurysm when the bullet happens to come up the Hawks' way in the russian roulette if ticky-tacky defensive holding penalties.

I think you misread my statement, or I'm being dense and misreading yours. It is a fact that articles were written by professional journalists stating that the reason the Seahawks defense is so effective is because they cheat. It is a fact that at least one coach complained about the amount of contact our defense had with opposing receivers. It is a fact that a team owner directly stated the new emphasis is because of the Seahawks.

I fully expect this to bite the Seahawks at the worst opportune moment but for now I find a lot of humor in the fact that the Seahawks have, through two regular season games, adjusted well to the new emphasis (as you state) while other teams have not.

So back to my original thought....be careful what you wish for.

chris98251

Reaction score
There are no new damn rules. There is a focus on making sure that anything close to what the rule dictates a flag is thrown, meaning incidental contact etc, that's on defense, on offense offensive pass interference is supposedly also supposed to be focused on.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
hawker84":9nicqtdk said:
By the way Irvin agreed with him. I think Irvin is scum, but he is a HOF reciever, that to me says volumes..
He's also a Hall of Fame "push-offer-and-OPIer", but I actually kind of like him on NFL Network.

Smellyman

Reaction score
need to do away with spot fouls on PI too. Sick of saying prayers answered by Horse Crap calls. See Colts game last year.

Make it 15 like college or better yet 10.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Spot fouls should be done away with, I agree. I'm not sure automatic first downs should be, but they should be less common.