NFC West Cards Take a Hit at RB - Ellington

Brahn

Reaction score
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ot-injury/

Between bad luck and bad players the Niners and the Cards are being beaten like a step child.

According to Mike Jurecki of Fox Sports 910 in Phoenix, tailback Andre Ellington could be out an “extended period of time” after suffering a foot injury in practice on Thursday.

Jurecki reports Ellington has undergone an MRI on the foot.

UPDATE 12:45 p.m. ET: According to Ian Rapoport of NFL Media, Ellington’s condition needs “rest” but the tailback is “hopeful” he’ll be ready for the regular season opener vs. San Diego on Monday night.

UPDATE 12:48 p.m. ET: Fox’s Jay Glazer reports Ellington has a “muscle” injury in the foot and that the MRI results are not in yet.

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
rotoworld says extended time out probably...of course i took him in fantasy...will dwyer do anything?

ringless

Reaction score
Yes this hurts. I had really high hopes in the off-season. Losing Ellington is horrible, he is suppose to play RB and WR being a dual threat and keeping defenses honest. Losing him would put us in substantially more 2nd as 3rd and longs allowing teams to pin their ears back.

Some of our posters are delirious, but not on denial zone level. They say losing Darryl Washington and Karlos Dansby is nothing. I say they are wrong. They tell me that it isn't a big loss bc they got replaced by the 5th best run stopper ILB in the league and Minter. I say Foote had 8 tackles last year and Minter played a total of 2 snaps in his career. They tell me I'm crazy and can't see how good they are.

We lose Dockett, who gets replaced by Frostee Rucker. They say Dockett wasn't a good player anyways anymore. Frostee can easily replace Dockett.

Our 1st round pick OG Cooper has failed miserably. And replaced by Ted Larsen off the buccaneers. That's fantastic news.

The Cardinals I originally thought would win 10-11 games. But now I'm thinking 7-8.

OP
OP
B

Brahn

Reaction score
ringless":2ey6iytj said:
Yes this hurts. I had really high hopes in the off-season. Losing Ellington is horrible, he is suppose to play RB and WR being a dual threat and keeping defenses honest. Losing him would put us in substantially more 2nd as 3rd and longs allowing teams to pin their ears back.

Some of our posters are delirious, but not on denial zone level. They say losing Darryl Washington and Karlos Dansby is nothing. I say they are wrong. They tell me that it isn't a big loss bc they got replaced by the 5th best run stopper ILB in the league and Minter. I say Foote had 8 tackles last year and Minter played a total of 2 snaps in his career. They tell me I'm crazy and can't see how good they are.

We lose Dockett, who gets replaced by Frostee Rucker. They say Dockett wasn't a good player anyways anymore. Frostee can easily replace Dockett.

Our 1st round pick OG Cooper has failed miserably. And replaced by Ted Larsen off the buccaneers. That's fantastic news.

The Cardinals I originally thought would win 10-11 games. But now I'm thinking 7-8.

A lot of us around here had Ellington as having a chance at a good year. He looked really good last year, like your Darren Sproles. Hope it is a small set back and he is running before seasons end.

kearly

Reaction score
A foot injury is going to hurt any RB, but it's especially going to hurt a semi-gimmicky RB who generates 90% of his rushing/receiving value with pure speed.

I think Ellington is very good as a 3rd down back, he's maybe the best all around 3rd down back in the game. But is he a starter? I think he's too gimmicky and too ineffective between the tackles. There is a lot to like about his game but I think Arizona would be better off if they treated Ellington like a Darren Sproles type of player.

kearly

Reaction score
ringless":2i30xas5 said:

Props to you for being a realistic, free-thinking fan.

I can't disagree with anything you've said. The bright side for Arizona fans is that it appears you have a fantastic coaching staff and (at minimum) a highly competent GM. I wouldn't expect the Cardinals to win SB XLIX, but you will have a fun-to-watch team the next several years.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Ringless is Guido classy. I'm sad he's a fan of some team not named the Seahawks for real. And is in our division.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^ :D

This news came out about 12 hours after my trade of Gore for Ellington went through. LOLISUCK.

Ringless -- I think you're being too hard on your team.

*Losing Ellington hurts but he was only a situational back last year. Having him for 10-12 games this season as the feature is still MUCH better than the Cards RB situation last year.

*It's WAAAAY too early to give up on Cooper. I don't buy what Arians is saying for a second. He's just trying to light a fire under Cooper's ass.

*The Cards are going to have Mathieu back from injury and a year wiser, that's a big deal, IMO.

*It looks like you guys are going to be the first team since the Falcons to successfully transition from a top WR in the game to another top WR in the game. Floyd looks that good.

*Agreed that Dansby, Dockett, and Washington all hurt this year, but all three of these guys are well north of 30. In the long run the Cards are much better finding their replacements a year too early than a year too late.

Of course it's all going to come down to if they can find a replacement for Palmer or not, but there's some good young pieces there. TBH I think the Cards' best bet is that the 9ers age out of contention too and the Hawks get ravaged by the salary cap by having the heart of their team all so young and hitting their payday contracts within a three year period -- meaning the Cards best shot is probably two years from now, if it's gonna happen -- but heck, you could be a Rams fan. ;)

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Popeyejones":78eef2z1 said:
^^^ :D

This news came out about 12 hours after my trade of Gore for Ellington went through. LOLISUCK.

Ringless -- I think you're being too hard on your team.

*Losing Ellington hurts but he was only a situational back last year. Having him for 10-12 games this season as the feature is still MUCH better than the Cards RB situation last year.

*It's WAAAAY too early to give up on Cooper. I don't buy what Arians is saying for a second. He's just trying to light a fire under Cooper's ass.

*The Cards are going to have Mathieu back from injury and a year wiser, that's a big deal, IMO.

*It looks like you guys are going to be the first team since the Falcons to successfully transition from a top WR in the game to another top WR in the game. Floyd looks that good.

*Agreed that Dansby, Dockett, and Washington all hurt this year, but all three of these guys are well north of 30. In the long run the Cards are much better finding their replacements a year too early than a year too late.

Of course it's all going to come down to if they can find a replacement for Palmer or not, but there's some good young pieces there. TBH I think the Cards' best bet is that the 9ers age out of contention too and the Hawks get ravaged by the salary cap by having the heart of their team all so young and hitting their payday contracts within a three year period -- meaning the Cards best shot is probably two years from now, if it's gonna happen -- but heck, you could be a Rams fan. ;)
You seem to misunderstand how Pete and John are running things...think USC/a core of 8-10 year players/4 year cycles and attitude, environment plus money.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Arians promised Ellington would get 25 touches a game this year. Which would have ended his season prematurely anyway. Ellington is simply not a 25 touch per game guy.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":ogyeggs1 said:
You seem to misunderstand how Pete and John are running things...think USC/a core of 8-10 year players/4 year cycles and attitude, environment plus money.

Wasn't saying that's what's gonna happen. I was saying that happening is sadly the Cards best shot at being major contenders for the division in the next five years. If that doesn't happen I don't think it much matters what the Cards do. ;)

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
John Clayton said on his local radio show today that the kid is back at practice and expected to practice today, so it looks like the injury isn't as serious as first thought.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":vm9vi0nx said:
John Clayton said on his local radio show today that the kid is back at practice and expected to practice today, so it looks like the injury isn't as serious as first thought.
He did LP Thursday and on Friday was DNP so it's probably going to be a game time decision.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":3fh5y8mb said:
Sports Hernia":3fh5y8mb said:
He did LP Thursday and on Friday was DNP so it's probably going to be a game time decision.
Even if he doesn't play it sounds like he won't be out long, the cards might have dodged a bullet with this.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
PopeyeJones,

No offense to the Cardinals but they've been ranked 27th -30th in TEAM AGE the last 3 years. There window of opportunity is now, 2-3 years from now all of the veterans they rely on will be gone.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
The Cards, while not overly successful can be a PITA when it comes to division games. I expect them to still be disruptive and take a lot of chances. This thing with Ellington won't kill the burning desire for Arians to want the deep ball even if he did miss time. They do seem to be snake bit though. I know they have big plans for using that kid in different ways.

I won't sleep on them, but they took some serious blows without the roster to back it up. In the NFCE they would actually be favored, too bad for them they are in the division from hell.