Blaine Gabbert

Smellyman

Reaction score
is he really #2 on the depth chart.

49ers better not have Kaepernick go down......

huskylawyer

Reaction score
Smellyman":1dx8pmol said:
is he really #2 on the depth chart.

49ers better not have Kaepernick go down......

That was about as bad of a QB performance I've ever seen.

What is funny, is there are respected analysts (like Mike Mayock) who said they think Gabbert should be drafted in front of Cam Newton.

Let that sink in for a bit....

rlkats

Reaction score
Ya he was very bad. He chucking and ducking. He is very gun shy. Don't think he is fixable.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Yeah, scoring 3 against what should be a decent (but not great) B-more defense doesn't bode well for Gabbert. Not that I saw more than a little bit of the Ravens-49ers game.

rlkats

Reaction score
I think that RB Hyde will be good. He ran with power and speed I liked it

Marvin49

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":6jyyuh8l said:
Yeah, scoring 3 against what should be a decent (but not great) B-more defense doesn't bode well for Gabbert. Not that I saw more than a little bit of the Ravens-49ers game.

Quick takeaways...

First string offense looked good.

Carlos Hyde looked really good.

Offense stalled right after Hyde came out.

All QBs not named Kaepernick looked BAD.

7 of 11 starters on D didn't play. Lol. It showed.

Tank Carradine looked good. Quinton Dial looked great (10 tackled, 2FF). He may be elevated to starting NT.

Outside of those 2 guys and some surprising plays by Lawrence Okoye, the front 7 was pushed around all night.

Niners may have lost 2 more d linemen tonight for a bit so I'm expecting them to sign someone.

Gore didn't play, Hyde looked good.... But the remaining backs were useless. They need Lattimore and they need James to come back. The first drive stalled when they brought in Jewel Hampton in short yardage...and he probably won't even make the 53.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^^ Agreed with all of that, except that after his first series I thought Johnson looked good. I've always been a fan though. I'd love for him to be the backup over Gabbert, but Gabbert's contract is guaranteed, so he'll have to be this awful for the next three games to get cut. Too bad.

Dial, Tank, and Hyde all looked friggin great, and Ellington looked good too. Dobbs and Okoye are apparently both fine too. Made it out with no serious injuries, the players I was excited about looked awesome, and the ones I don't care about stunk up the joint. Overall I'm as happy as I could be coming off a meaningless preseason blowout. ;)

Oh, also, Jon Martin was awful. Just awful. Borland looked physically incapable and mentally unprepared to play at this level. Purcell had a really rough night too. Depending on Williams' timeline, they should bring Soap back to compete with Dial (who is probably better at DE anyway).

Marvin49

Reaction score
I like Johnson too, but he keeps sailing the ball I've the receivers head.

Yeah, Ellington looked good. So did McDonald. I guess you can say most of the '13 and '14 class looked pretty good. Reid, Tank, McDonald, Lemonier had a sack, Dial probably had the best night, Ward made some plays in run support, Hyde looked great, Borland seemed to struggle, And Ellington looked good

Bad? Gabbert, Purcell, Martin, Bethel-Thompson, Jerod-Eddie and Dobbs were invisible even though they started for Justin and Ray and no backup defender behind the LOS in made much of an impression.

Most disturbing is they just got pushed around up front till Dial and Carradine came in....and then the O COULD DO NOTHING and they got worn out.

They may need help on the defensive front just to get through camp without tiring those guys out.

Agreed on Martin. He's a backup tho. I still really want to see Marcus Martin and Marcus Lattimore.

kearly

Reaction score
Marvin49":mgaebfpn said:
Tank Carradine looked good. Quinton Dial looked great (10 tackled, 2FF). He may be elevated to starting NT.

Outside of those 2 guys and some surprising plays by Lawrence Okoye, the front 7 was pushed around all night.

The Ravens, who were historically bad at run blocking last year, ran all over SF during the first several drives while Dial and Carradine were on the field.

I don't put too much stock into that because so many starters were missing, but if I were a 49ers fan I'd want my starters of the future to show a heck of a lot more than that vs. the run.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^ it was happening through the A gaps, where Purcell and Borland were awful. Carradine and Dial had such high tackle numbers because they were breaking off and making those tackles 5 yards up field through the middle. Carradine has work to do as a run defender, but this year, he likely won't be in for too many run plays anyways (I'm guessing he'll be rotating in for McDonald on passing downs in the 2-4-5). They both held point of attack through the Bs & Cs pretty well (Dial in particular).

If there's things for 9ers fans to be concerned about coming away from this scrimmage, it's not Tank or Dial, IMO.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2kt09hfs said:
^^^ it was happening through the A gaps, where Purcell and Borland were awful. Carradine and Dial had such high tackle numbers because they were breaking off and making those tackles 5 yards up field through the middle. Carradine has work to do as a run defender, but this year, he likely won't be in for too many run plays anyways (I'm guessing he'll be rotating in for McDonald on passing downs in the 2-4-5). They both held point of attack through the Bs & Cs pretty well (Dial in particular).

If there's things for 9ers fans to be concerned about coming away from this scrimmage, it's not Tank or Dial, IMO.

Correct.

If anything, Borlands play concerns me because they may need him with Bowman out. Not concerned at all with Dial or Carradine.

Bob Loblaw

Reaction score
Gabbert will be fine, new offense, first time playing with rec, who also did him no favors. Like Harbs said, he got them in an out of the huddle smoothly, has a decent grasp on the playbook. I wouldnt put to much stock in the first pre game. Blaine has a ways to go but he will be ok. Smith had the same problems when Harbaugh was overhauling him.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Bob loblaw":y60kt51h said:
Gabbert will be fine, new offense, first time playing with rec, who also did him no favors. Like Harbs said, he got them in an out of the huddle smoothly, has a decent grasp on the playbook. I wouldnt put to much stock in the first pre game. Blaine has a ways to go but he will be ok. Smith had the same problems when Harbaugh was overhauling him.

No so sure of that.

He displayed exactly the problem he had in Jacksonville...IE as soon as he was pressured, the ball started to sail on him.

huskylawyer

Reaction score
Bob loblaw":3m6f1se1 said:

GAbbert is what he is. There is a reason he was out of Jacksonville after 3 years, despite being a high draft pick. And getting the offence "in and out of the huddle smoothly" isn't what I would call a glowing endorsement, considering H.S. QBs can do that.

On his Int, he literally stared the WR down from snap to INT. I he is still doing that after being in the League for 3 years, I doubt he is going to change.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I wouldn't throw in the towel on Gabbert yet, Harbs knows QBSpeak probably better than anyone, the sample size isn't big enough for anyone yet.

I don't know how it went for the Niners, but even on the first drive I felt like I was watching a football game during a player strike.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":2robkjan said:
I wouldn't throw in the towel on Gabbert yet, Harbs knows QBSpeak probably better than anyone, the sample size isn't big enough for anyone yet.

True, but Harbough also churns through QBs pretty quickly to find his guys. With Colt last year they made him renegotiate his salary down to stay on the team after he stunk it up (and Johnson outplayed him anyway), but the problem with Gabs is his two mil is guaranteed so they wouldn't have any leverage.

It's a dumb preseason game, but Gabs' performance also wasn't some weird outlier: so far he looks exactly as we know him to be. FWIW I think the 9ers could go 8-8 or 9-7 with Josh Johnson, with Gabs or McCoy last year I think they're in the 6-10 range.

huskylawyer

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":3nhootd5 said:
I wouldn't throw in the towel on Gabbert yet, Harbs knows QBSpeak probably better than anyone, the sample size isn't big enough for anyone yet.e.

3+ years isn't a long enough sample size? (and frankly, he wasn't even that great at Mizzou).

I hear what you are saying though; perhaps Harbaugh can do something with him, but I doubt it...