Patriots break unwritten rule

ctrcat

Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... ff-waivers

Bill Belichick just did the most Bill Belichickian thing ever.

The New England Patriots on Monday claimed rookie running back Tyler Gaffney off waivers after the Carolina Panthers tried to sneak their sixth-round pick through waivers and onto injured reserve.

Gaffney suffered a knee injury over the weekend that will require surgery. He'll miss the season, but when he returns, he'll wear New England's red, white and blue.

It's reminiscent of Belichick claiming injured Giants tight end Jake Ballard off waivers in 2012 after New York also attempted to whisk the veteran by for a trip to IR.

After the Ballard transaction, the Patriots were dressed down by some for breaking a so-called "unwritten rule" that says teams should respectfully turn a blind eye to injured players riding the waiver wire.

We recall similar ire when the Browns in 2009 exposed sixth-round rookie cornerback Don Carey to waivers only to have the Jaguars snatch him up.

"That's the first time I've ever seen that," an official with another team said at the time, per The Plain Dealer. "I would have bet money that nobody would have claimed him."

Well, you bet wrong, sir.

Belichick doesn't give a hoot about unwritten rules, and shame on any team clutching to the belief that a talented player exposed league-wide is guaranteed to go untouched.

chris98251

Reaction score
Didn't the 49ers do that with Harper as well last year?

The we did it with Daniels.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Surely this all stems from the silliness of having to clear waivers when going on IR? I'll be honest I didnt even realise they had to.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
chris98251":1vghz96l said:

That was guys clearing waivers to go to the PS. This was a guy clearing waivers to to on Injured Reserve.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3soys83t said:
chris98251":3soys83t said:

That was guys clearing waivers to go to the PS. This was a guy clearing waivers to to on Injured Reserve.

They need to redo that portion of the rules. I can see clearing waivers for PS, but not for IR.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Is it different during the season? If a young player gets injured during the season, do they still have to clear waivers to go on IR? Or is that a preseason thing?

mrt144

Reaction score
This is baseball levels of sanctimonious unspoken rules miserliness. Only the worst people care about shit like this.

Basis4day

Reaction score
BlueTalon":4eulcjwr said:
Is it different during the season? If a young player gets injured during the season, do they still have to clear waivers to go on IR? Or is that a preseason thing?

Gaffney was waived/injured. It's a special designation different than regular IR. You can't directly IR a player in the preseason (Not sure of the specifics regarding Veterans).

They could have kept him on the 90 man roster through cutdowns to the final 53. They needed extra running backs to make it through preseason and gave him this designation to clear up a roster spot. He would have reverted to IR had he cleared waivers.

It's the same designation we gave Anthony McCoy before last season.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Scottemojo":k9gjgf9e said:
chris98251":k9gjgf9e said:

Actually I think he'd already cleared waivers and was simply signed off the Practice Squad.

Not 100% certain though.

mikeak

Reaction score
Basis4day":1hlw5ywi said:
BlueTalon":1hlw5ywi said:

Gaffney was waived/injured. It's a special designation different than regular IR. You can't directly IR a player in the preseason (Not sure of the specifics regarding Veterans).

They could have kept him on the 90 man roster through cutdowns to the final 53. They needed extra running backs to make it through preseason and gave him this designation to clear up a roster spot. He would have reverted to IR had he cleared waivers.

It's the same designation we gave Anthony McCoy before last season.

Thanks for explaining - been looking to figure out what happened.

Then it is their own fault - they want him then keep him on hte roster

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Marvin49":1ygyxqtt said:
Scottemojo":1ygyxqtt said:
chris98251":1ygyxqtt said:

Actually I think he'd already cleared waivers and was simply signed off the Practice Squad.

Not 100% certain though.
There are no practice squads right now. And why would they squad a guy who had a season ending injury?

No, this it the Patriots treating him like a free red shirt draft pick. They probably wanted him this spring, and took this chance to grab him.

OP
OP
C

ctrcat

Reaction score
Ironically durability was one if his biggest strengths pre-draft, then goes down on his first snap of camp.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3j4cl3vs said:
Marvin49":3j4cl3vs said:
Scottemojo":3j4cl3vs said:
chris98251":3j4cl3vs said:

Not 100% certain though.
There are no practice squads right now. And why would they squad a guy who had a season ending injury?

No, this it the Patriots treating him like a free red shirt draft pick. They probably wanted him this spring, and took this chance to grab him.

No...I mean Chris Harper. Harper cleared Waivers and Niners signed him off Seattle Practice Squad.

chris98251

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":1md2ol3x said:
Patriots doing whatever it takes to get ahead? That's unpossible!

Thats right, I thought he ended up there because of a tweek or something, basically did the same thing though, broke another unwritten rule.

bigcc

Reaction score
bunch of hypocrites around here.... If for whatever reason the 9ers had to release boone before re-signing him, and he took a cheap deal here to get back at them would you still be crying about how slimy it is for us "pulling a Belichick move?"

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
How can the Pats redshirt him if he needs to clear waivers to get in IR? Are they keeping him on the 90 man roster?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":ndo4w8xn said:
How can the Pats redshirt him if he needs to clear waivers to get in IR? Are they keeping him on the 90 man roster?
IDK how it works exactly. I assume they have to put him on the 53 man roster then they can IR him for the season without risk. They will have a free spot, because Browner is suspended 4 games he doesn't count against the 53 until he gets back from suspension.