First Appearence By Each NFL Franchise on the cover of SI

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. RATING: PG-13

http://imgur.com/gallery/0b3gw

Really cool to see them all in one place. I'm somewhat surprised it took until 2005 for the Hawks to make it. Thinking back though, the only person i'd expect would be the Boz around his debut.
    Give me some damn skittles...
    Basis4day
    NET Veteran

• Anyone who would argue that the East Coast bias against the Seahawks is a lie, look no further. Hell, Tampa Bay made the cover in their (our) inaugural year!

Unbelievable.

.....................................................................................-Webzone Niner fan GhostOfJimmyDean
    Trenchbroom
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

• Wow we didn't make it until 2005? Ridiculous
    SUPERBOWL!!
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

• Adam Morrison! (Go Zags)
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???

2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• Basis4day wrote:Image

http://imgur.com/gallery/0b3gw

Really cool to see them all in one place. I'm somewhat surprised it took until 2005 for the Hawks to make it. Thinking back though, the only person i'd expect would be the Boz around his debut.

I remember the Boz being on one when I was a teen, but iirc he was still a Sooner predraft.
    Watching Beast Mode run the ball.
    Catching a Bo Jackson baseball. Kingdome, centerfield, over the cannon.
    Jim Presley with a full count, 2 out, down by 3, bottom of the 9th Grand Slam.

My favorite all time sports memory
    "The Seattle Seahawks are Super Bowl CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!"
    JaiSeaSea
    NET Rookie

• JaiSeaSea wrote:
    I remember the Boz being on one when I was a teen, but iirc he was still a Sooner predraft.

Yup. That's correct.
    Basis4day
    NET Veteran

• Trenchbroom wrote:Anyone who would argue that the East Coast bias against the Seahawks is a lie, look no further. Hell, Tampa Bay made the cover in their (our) inaugural year!

Unbelievable.

This ^^^

But if we win 2 or 3 more Owls in the next 10 or so years, that may finally change. Then again...........not only did Tampa Bay get on the cover their first year so did another east coast team, Miami ('66).

EDIT to add: Wow, I had forgotten OJ started off with number 36 his first season.
    Last edited by hawksfansinceday1 on Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

Proud member of the 38 club
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

• What the heck is up with this helmet?

49ers webzone: Win or lose, i hope you injure Sherman. Like a serious career ending injury. I don't want him to get paid.
    49ers webzone: noise should not be the overwhelming reason a team is favored. they need to spray noise-damping foam onto the ceiling of that place.
    BlueTalon
    * NET Curmudgeon *
    * NET Curmudgeon *

• Trenchbroom wrote:Anyone who would argue that the East Coast bias against the Seahawks is a lie, look no further. Hell, Tampa Bay made the cover in their (our) inaugural year!

Unbelievable.

East Coast bias?

Oakland: 1968
    LA Rams: 1961
    San Diego: 1963
    San Francisco: 1954

Now, maybe you can make the argument that there was a more significant East Coast bias back in the 60s through perhaps the 80s, and West Coast teams had to do more to merit a cover. But to be blunt, from the late 80s through the early 2000s, what did the Seahawks do to deserve a cover, really? If you're not good, you don't get covered for the most part. Notice that the Steelers didn't get a cover until 1971, and they'd been around for about 40 years before that.

I'd argue that the bias toward the East Coast in the past doesn't exist now, but the effects of it still do. Teams that were embraced in the past became fan favorites and therefore received more coverage. And that status has remained while teams like the Seahawks have to get by more on merit because they don't have that link to the storied past. If Seattle can maintain their current level of excellence and grab a couple more Lombardis, they'll reach that level, too (it will help that we are keeping Sherm and Wilson long-term... those marketable faces help increase the team's visibility).

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

• BlueTalon wrote:What the heck is up with this helmet?

It's one of the first attempts at a facemask.
    Basis4day
    NET Veteran

• Strictly speaking, the first Seahawk to ever grace the cover of SI was Keith Butler in 1982, but not in a good way:

Shadowhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:35 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information