Colin kaepernick gets contract extension

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. RATING: PG-13
Colin kaepernick gets contract extension
Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:00 pm
  • Through 2020 worth up to 126 million, 61m guaranteed. Top 10 among contracts, most guaranteed money among all QBs
    Last edited by HAWKAMANIA on Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
    HAWKAMANIA
    NET Starter

• Excellent news.
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

• Good GOD, that underachiever got PAID!
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Man if he got that think what Wilson will deserve. Good God. Can we say PAY DAY
    rlkats
    NET Veteran

• rlkats wrote:Man if he got that think what Wilson will deserve. Good God. Can we say PAY DAY

We screwed?
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Na, they screwed.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Mark Twain.

"Beast Mode is artist, puny Saints Defense merely his canvas!"

"When you die the only kingdom you'll see, will be two foot wide and six foot deep!"
    HawksSoc
    NET Veteran

• Colin Kaepernick was an unknown commodity two seasons ago, a backup quarterback behind a division champion starter. Now Kaepernick is a true franchise quarterback, with the contract to prove it.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reports that Kaepernick and the San Francisco 49ers have agreed to terms on a six-year mega extension through 2020 that will pay the signal-caller up to $126 million. The deal includes $60 million guaranteed.

Kaepernick was entering the final year of his rookie contract, which was set to pay him under $1 million.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... _rosenthal
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• Russ is about to hit the forbes next offseason if that's what Kaep got.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Kaep can still get better. Franchise QB's are hard to come by and not everyone has the time to groom them. Esp if your team is good "now". We are lucky we have the secondary we have because without the LOB we could be in a lot of trouble with signal callers like Kaep. His kryptonite is CLink. But if I'm San Fran I still have a few doubts about his conduct and also his QB mechanics. Looks like Harbaugh has hitched his trailer on the Kaep wagon. Interesting times ahead for sure.
    rastahawk
    * Just Chillin' *

• Throwdown wrote:Russ is about to hit the forbes next offseason if that's what Kaep got.

I think your avatar is a good representation of the reaction I had when I saw the contract...
    Yxes1122
    NET Practice Squad

• Bahahaha good. Hopefully it cripples them and that trash team falls apart. Gonna be funny watching them lose all their key players due to no money. Ravens did the same but at least they have a trophy to show for it.
    keatonisballin
    NET Starter

• rlkats wrote:Man if he got that think what Wilson will deserve. Good God. Can we say PAY DAY

Exactly. First thing I thought of.
    "I don't know what you're talking about." GT
    TriCHawk
    NET Veteran

• So $18m/year for Kaep, then? Since this is a six-year extension added to the final year of his rookie contract?
    Rams bet status: honored. Bradford still sucks.
    RedAlice is right.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• Good! More pressure on him now. Watch the downfall start real soon!
    HawkCop
    NET Practice Squad

• Will be interesting to see if Wilson takes below market value. If he truly wants to be a sports owner some day, its probably not advisable. I mean, I sure as hell wouldn't. This isn't baseball where players get crazy crazy contracts. The NFL, you got to take all you can get.
    JZ#1
    NET Rookie

• RolandDeschain wrote:So $18m/year for Kaep, then? Since this is a six-year extension added to the final year of his rookie contract?

That's what it looks like, which isn't bad when projecting our QB, except RW will make 20M+ since he has a Super Bowl ring already.

I know we hate Kaepernick around here, but he will at least be a threat in the future because of his legs even if he struggles to make reads under pressure, good enough to win a title, and I'd rather have him for 18M than Cutler, Flacco, or Alex Smith's overvaluing himself behind.
    Last edited by Smelly McUgly on Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    "He's a *****. It's not that he was a *****, he is a *****, and that's why he hasn't won anything."
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest

February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• I hope this deal is heavily back-loaded so the Niners are screwed in a couple of years, haha. I can't wait to see the details...We'll see how good Baalke really is with the numbers.
    Rams bet status: honored. Bradford still sucks.
    RedAlice is right.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• JZ#1 wrote:Will be interesting to see if Wilson takes below market value. If he truly wants to be a sports owner some day, its probably not advisable. I mean, I sure as hell wouldn't. This isn't baseball where players get crazy crazy contracts. The NFL, you got to take all you can get.

He's already taken well below market value over the first 3 years, hoping for a discount is really far fetched.
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• Until I see differently, Krapsondick will never win a title. His decision making in the clutch is a joke. Glad he's sticking with the team. More years of "almost"
    60 percent of the time..........it works........every time
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• Throwdown wrote:Russ is about to hit the forbes next offseason if that's what Kaep got.

Bingo.

So essentially its 19 per but can reach 21 per with incentives. Always thought it would be between 18-20. Rolling guarantees so they can get out if they need to...IE guarantees are year to year if he's on the roster.

If the CBA allowed it, the Seahawks would do this in a heartbeat. Unfortunately they can't which means this sets a new bar for Russell next year.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

• RolandDeschain wrote:So $18m/year for Kaep, then? Since this is a six-year extension added to the final year of his rookie contract?

Possibly?

Its through 2020...haven't done the math.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

• Hopefully he will continue to excitedly throw to Crab 1 on 1 on the outside every time.
    Missing_Clink
    NET Veteran

• ........ it could be worth up to $126 million, with $60 million guaranteed ......

We'll see the details in a couple of days. Still it's a lot of money.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

• Jville wrote:........ it could be worth up to $126 million, with $60 million guaranteed ......

Correct. I heard about 19 per and up to 21 with incentives.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

• Seems like a fine deal. Maybe slightly above what I would expect for market on him, but when you get a franchise QB you pay what it takes within reason. I assume this bumps us up to about a $22m/year extension next year on Wilson, assuming that their relative value as QBs doesn't wildly fluctuate this next year.
    MidwestHawker
    NET Veteran

• Marvin49 wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:So $18m/year for Kaep, then? Since this is a six-year extension added to the final year of his rookie contract?

Possibly?

Its through 2020...haven't done the math.

So yes, just confirmed that. Under contract for 7 years. Likely waited for cap space to accommodate prorated signing bonus.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

• MidwestHawker wrote:Seems like a fine deal. Maybe slightly above what I would expect for market on him, but when you get a franchise QB you pay what it takes within reason. I assume this bumps us up to about a $22m/year extension next year on Wilson, assuming that their relative value as QBs doesn't wildly fluctuate this next year.

Cap starts dramatic rise, so market may go nuts. I think that's why getting Kap signed was so urgent.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

• It's a lot of money, but Kaep was bound to get paid and the Niners are right for paying him. I laughed when I saw Niners fans argue that they should either lowball him at $11M or let him hit the market. Ridiculous.

That being said, RW will make even more. But I ain't worried. We already locked up our entire young core through at least 2018 and built all our key extensions around a model that obviously accounted for Wilson's payday. Smooth sailin' for us.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

• BFD
    ZorntoLargent
    NET Starter

• DavidSeven wrote:It's a lot of money, but Kaep was bound to get paid and the Niners are right for paying him. I laughed when I saw Niners fans argue that they should either lowball him at $11M or let him hit the market. Ridiculous.

That being said, RW will make even more. But I ain't worried. We already locked up our entire young core through at least 2018 and built all our key extensions around a model that obviously accounted for Wilson's payday. Smooth sailin' for us.

Yeah...that was a fantasy world.

Its a lot of money, but actually fairly happy with the deal. 7 years under contract, not a huge number this year, cap about to rise dramatically which helps absorb that number, locks him up for a long time in order to lock in todays market, guarantees are per year so they can get out if he's hurt or doesn't perform...

...all and all not too shabby...if you can get over the number. It was pretty clear all along though that it was going to be a really big number.

Now we just see how much that number increases for Wilson.
    Last edited by Marvin49 on Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

• LOL!

Well, they really only need to pay one WR...so it's not like they're cutting too big of a check.

I wish I could get paid bank for not doing anything.

Go Hawks.
    SouthSoundHawk
    NET Veteran

• That's a lot of dough.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• At that pay scale, for whiner fans, each heart-breaking INT he throws at a critical juncture in a game/season is going to hurt like a cyclops being jabbed in the eye with a red-hot poker, Arghhh, that hurts!
    EastCoastHawksFan posted... "Trading for Harvin is by far the worst move John S has ever made." (March 18, 2014)

your World Champion Seattle Seahawks.. how sweet is that!!
    onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran

• Marvin49 wrote:
    Jville wrote:........ it could be worth up to $126 million, with $60 million guaranteed ......

wrong. it's $18m a year. the final year of his rookie deal remains the same. He is only getting paid around $1m this season. So, adding this year and the 6 year extension, it comes out to $18m a year
    Front7vLOB
    NET Practice Squad

• RolandDeschain wrote:I hope this deal is heavily back-loaded so the Niners are screwed in a couple of years, haha. I can't wait to see the details...We'll see how good Baalke really is with the numbers.

It will have to be. Yes the Niners restructered a bit, but before they did, they were running right on the salary cap. IIRC they mananage to restructure (Bowman was one) to clear about 7-8mill in cap space but given that little cap space, the deal almost has to be backloaded.
    Polaris
    NET Veteran

• Front7vLOB wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:
    Jville wrote:........ it could be worth up to $126 million, with $60 million guaranteed ......

wrong. it's $18m a year. the final year of his rookie deal remains the same. He is only getting paid around $1m this season. So, adding this year and the 6 year extension, it comes out to $18m a year

Correct...I'm only referring to the extended years
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

• My feeling about the deal?

Joe Flacco II
    Polaris
    NET Veteran

• Polaris wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:I hope this deal is heavily back-loaded so the Niners are screwed in a couple of years, haha. I can't wait to see the details...We'll see how good Baalke really is with the numbers.

It will have to be. Yes the Niners restructered a bit, but before they did, they were running right on the salary cap. IIRC they mananage to restructure (Bowman was one) to clear about 7-8mill in cap space but given that little cap space, the deal almost has to be backloaded.

No it doesn't. I might be, but it doesn't have to be.

He is still playing for 1 mil this year. This is an extension that kicks in next year.

They will still eat up more $$$$ tho I think because I'm assuming that the signing bonus will be prorated over the 7 years of the deal....starting this year. Either way, not a huge cap number this year.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

• Polaris wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:I hope this deal is heavily back-loaded so the Niners are screwed in a couple of years, haha. I can't wait to see the details...We'll see how good Baalke really is with the numbers.

Actually, cutting Carlos Rogers freed up $6.6m on June 1st. Plus the $2.5m they saved from the Bowman restructuring= $9.3m in cap space.

Kap is still only getting paid $1m this season. So, all that cap space will assuredly carry over to next season.
    Front7vLOB
    NET Practice Squad

• Front7vLOB wrote:
    Polaris wrote:

Actually, cutting Carlos Rogers freed up $6.6m on June 1st. Plus the $2.5m they saved from the Bowman restructuring= $9.3m in cap space.

Kap is still only getting paid $1m this season. So, all that cap space will assuredly carry over to next season.

Unless they prorate his signing bonus over the next 7 years and not the 6 in the extension. I doubt he's not getting anything at all when he signs the contract.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

• Front7vLOB wrote:
    Polaris wrote:

That's incorrect. Even if his 2014 salary isn't re-adjusted (which isn't guaranteed yet), a share of his signing bonus will hit the cap right away. His signing bonus will likely be quite large, but it will fit underneath the cap obviously. He'll probably have a $6-8M cap figure in 2014.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

• Marvin49 wrote:
    Front7vLOB wrote:
    Polaris wrote:

Unless they prorate his signing bonus over the next 7 years and not the 6 in the extension. I doubt he's not getting anything at all when he signs the contract.

True, either way, it's it's not like he is getting $61m over a 6 year period. It is $61m over a 7 year period
    Front7vLOB
    NET Practice Squad

• Wowzers, good for him for getting paid. Kind of neat to be in a genuine division rivalry with two QB's that you know will be at the helm for a long, long time.
    AbsolutNET
    * NET X's & O's Guru *

• DavidSeven wrote:
    Front7vLOB wrote:
    Polaris wrote:

That's incorrect. Even if his 2014 salary isn't re-adjusted (which isn't guaranteed yet), a share of his signing bonus will hit the cap right away. His signing bonus will likely be quite large, but it will fit underneath the cap obviously. He'll probably have a $6-8M cap figure in 2014.

Again, this is true. But that will reduce any guarantees he is due down the road. Again, you have to look at this as a 7 year contract, rather than a 6
    Front7vLOB
    NET Practice Squad

• Front7vLOB wrote:Again, this is true. But that will reduce any guarantees he is due down the road. Again, you have to look at this as a 7 year contract, rather than a 6

Seattle structured all of its extensions this off-season the same way. E.g. Sherman's deal is worth $14.4M/yr in "new money" but $11.8m/yr over the remaining years he has under contract. Doing the deal early is the best way to go on players who were drafted late and are vastly over-performing on their rookie contract. Gives you the benefit of playing with the numbers like this a bit.
    Last edited by DavidSeven on Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

• Eh, when you amortize it out, it's only like a million bucks per completion to Seahawks players. That's kind of a steal.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• DavidSeven wrote:It's a lot of money, but Kaep was bound to get paid and the Niners are right for paying him. I laughed when I saw Niners fans argue that they should either lowball him at $11M or let him hit the market. Ridiculous.

This.
    I'm just glad our favorite whipping boy will be around for our guys to abuse for years to come!
    (And we all know his 1 win was because of Frank Gore)
    dunceface
    NET Veteran

• dunceface wrote:(And we all know his 1 win was because of Frank Gore)

Gore and the Immaculate Hold on Sherman.

Shoe stores everywhere are high-fiving right now.
    Last edited by 253hawk on Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    253hawk
    NET Veteran

• Does his nose get 25% of the deal?
    CaptBennett
    NET Rookie

Next

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:56 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information