June 1 could result in mini-surge in free agency

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. RATING: PG-13
  • After 20 years under the current free-agency system, more and more teams are figuring out the value of waiting until after June 1 to pursue certain free agents.

For players whose contracts were terminated (like receiver Santonio Holmes), the compensatory-pick formula won’t be an issue after June 1 because it never was an issue. The compensatory draft picks are determined only by gains and losses via veteran free agency.

I'm assuming we should see some movement on Jermichael Finley's destination for 2014.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/01/june-1-could-result-in-mini-surge-in-free-agency/

As Alex Marvez points out, "the NFL formula used to determine the extra selections annually granted for free-agent losses also takes into account the number of free agents a team signs before a June 1 deadline. To secure compensatory choices and potentially improve the round in which they are granted, some franchises are intentionally waiting until after June 1 to bolster their squads with veteran acquisitions."

Link more Seahawk oriented >>> http://www.fieldgulls.com/2014/6/1/5769564/june-1st-an-important-day-in-nfl-offseason
    Schneider has said that the team is not yet done in extending their own guys, but several of the top remaning free agents still on the market have shown interest in Seattle.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

• I wish the Hawks would have kept Red and Clem to the end of their contracts. Our comp picks would be sooooo much better.
    49ers webzone: Win or lose, i hope you injure Sherman. Like a serious career ending injury. I don't want him to get paid.
    49ers webzone: noise should not be the overwhelming reason a team is favored. they need to spray noise-damping foam onto the ceiling of that place.
    BlueTalon
    * NET Curmudgeon *
    * NET Curmudgeon *

• Well, if you're going to opt out of the first week FA frenzy, which the Seahawks tend to do, it makes sense to wait for this milestone, especially if all you're looking for are role players and rotational guys, which is mostly what the Seahawks need, anyway. I'm not all that sure they need all that much of those types, either. We did a pretty good job in the draft, IMHO, at picking guys for spot duty and grooming for a couple of seasons down the line.

But, as usual, we'll see. Schneider does a good job of being unpredictable, in his predictable way of doing things.
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• Who is out there that we might want? Kevin Williams? Jermichael Finley? Both those guys are still free and IIRC they both visited during FA earlier.
    "He's a *****. It's not that he was a *****, he is a *****, and that's why he hasn't won anything."
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest

• LOL @ Denver > Ware
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• BlueTalon wrote:I wish the Hawks would have kept Red and Clem to the end of their contracts. Our comp picks would be sooooo much better.

How do you figure that?
    Ziggyy108
    NET Starter

• Daniel Teo Nesheim is unsigned? Guy must have struggled. Looking at his stats his only good season was at Tampa in 2012. Maybe injuries?
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *

• Has the surge started?

I can't tell.
    EastCoastHawksFan posted... "Trading for Harvin is by far the worst move John S has ever made." (March 18, 2014)

your World Champion Seattle Seahawks.. how sweet is that!!
    onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran

• LOL ....... it's been really really slow. Backups, special teams, and filling out roster spots. Certainly not a surge as I understand the term.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

• Maybe they meant a "micro surge."

;)
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• I see the Saints waited until June 2an to sign center Jonathan Goodwin. That deprives the 49ers of consideration for a compensatory pick in 2015 for the departure of Goodwin.

:D
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

• Jville wrote:I see the Saints waited until June 2an to sign center Jonathan Goodwin. That deprives the 49ers of consideration for a compensatory pick in 2015 for the departure of Goodwin.

:D

Okay... we'll consider that the "s" of the surge... "s", but only for the START of the surge. :D
    EastCoastHawksFan posted... "Trading for Harvin is by far the worst move John S has ever made." (March 18, 2014)

onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran

• I didn't know that about compensatory picks and June 1, thats awesome

Hawks will obviously get the max 4 picks next year, hope one is a 3rd! (which it should be for Golden Tate)
    SUPERBOWL!!
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

• Ziggyy108 wrote:
    BlueTalon wrote:I wish the Hawks would have kept Red and Clem to the end of their contracts. Our comp picks would be sooooo much better.

How do you figure that?

Yeah, I don't get that comment either
    SUPERBOWL!!
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

• Hawkfan77 wrote:
    Ziggyy108 wrote:
    BlueTalon wrote:I wish the Hawks would have kept Red and Clem to the end of their contracts. Our comp picks would be sooooo much better.

How do you figure that?

Yeah, I don't get that comment either

It would also mean that we most likely don't extend Earl, Sherm and/or ADB this year.

Not a very well thought out comment.

onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran

• So ..... I guess once Kevin Williams gets into town on Monday or Tuesday and signs his contract, we will have seen a delayed mini-surge.

At least we didn't miss out. :229031_shrug:
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

• Jville wrote:So ..... I guess once Kevin Williams gets into town on Monday or Tuesday and signs his contract, we will have seen a delayed mini-surge.

At least we didn't miss out. :229031_shrug:

lol
    Ziggyy108
    NET Starter

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:29 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information