Santa Clara 49ers already whining about Superbowl L

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. RATING: PG-13
  • Vetamur wrote:I agree with the switch..but that is a sad, sad logo.. looks like a project in a beginning programming class.

I actually agree with the change, as well. Not necessarily for any lack of American understanding of the Roman numeral system, but just for design purposes. Having a big "L" as the central part of the logo just wouldn't look all that great, imo.

In addition, it's forward-thinking. The NFL is not likely to die out in the next, say, 40 years. Do we really want to see a Roman numeral logo for Super Bowl LXXXVIII? Sure, there's some fun to be had in the lead up to Super Bowl LIX, but I don't think humor is high on the NFL's list for their premier game.

And yeah, I sincerely hope they alter the logo between now and when the game is played. That effort is weak. I certainly don't have any interest in grabbing the Seahawks' threepeat merch with that ugly thing on it.

EDIT: Well, apparently according to this link, this is a one-year deal. Although, given their rationale, I wouldn't be surprised to see them repeat it 50 more years down the line so they can avoid Super Bowl C.
    Last edited by volsunghawk on Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

• Weston said her team has been working on the Super Bowl 50 logo since April 2013, having gone through 73 versions. At some point along the way, it was concluded that having the "L" stand alone didn't work.

The league has made two logos for the game, which will take place Feb. 7, 2016, at Levi's Stadium, the new home of the San Francisco 49ers. Both the national and regional logo feature the "50" in gold, serving to call attention to the game's golden anniversary as well as the game's location in the "Golden State."

And this is the best they could do? That's just sad.

hawknation2014
    NET Veteran

• Marvin49 wrote:
    Shadowhawk wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:While I like the Roman numerals...I do think they are going to have to change soon. I actually don't mind the "L", but eventually its gonna be like 8 digits long and nearly impossible to read.

It will only be a handful of digits for several years and won't get to 8 digits until Super Bowl LXXXVIII, which is 40 years from now. The zombies will have overrun us by then anyway.

XLVIII looked great in the logo, but that's just my opinion. :)

Yeah...I just wish they'd stop using the same logo. I hate that they standardized the SB logo.

Completely agree. The standardized Super Bowl logo sucks balls.
    Super Bowl Champions

Conference Champions

Division Champions

"Hell no! I wanna go get my rang!"
    Seahawks1983
    NET Starter

• hawknation2014 wrote:
    Weston said her team has been working on the Super Bowl 50 logo since April 2013, having gone through 73 versions. At some point along the way, it was concluded that having the "L" stand alone didn't work.

The league has made two logos for the game, which will take place Feb. 7, 2016, at Levi's Stadium, the new home of the San Francisco 49ers. Both the national and regional logo feature the "50" in gold, serving to call attention to the game's golden anniversary as well as the game's location in the "Golden State."

Actually...

Still has to resemble generic SB Logo
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

• Marvin49 wrote:
    hawknation2014 wrote:
    Weston said her team has been working on the Super Bowl 50 logo since April 2013, having gone through 73 versions. At some point along the way, it was concluded that having the "L" stand alone didn't work.

Actually...

Still has to resemble generic SB Logo

Both the generic version and the regional version are incredibly weak and outdated.
    hawknation2014
    NET Veteran

• bad form... really miss that it used to change every year...
    RynoHawk
    NET Rookie

• A flairish five would look a lot better. Like in this pic...maybe.
    http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Ara ... edIndex=59

Just a thought.
    :mrgreen:
    Cats will rule the world...just ask my cat.
    Gollum had a ring...Bilbo took it...Frodo had it...Gollum got it back.
    Gollum never had OUR ring.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

• I think I just heard I said on NFLN, that for SB 51 they are going back to Roman numerals.
    Guess it's only to avoid the "L"
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

• Santa Clara Vaginers
    60 percent of the time..........it works........every time
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• Tradition matters. Screw the change. I don't like it. Especially with that garish yellow "50" logo.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• RolandDeschain wrote:Tradition matters. Screw the change. I don't like it. Especially with that garish yellow "50" logo.

If it's OUR 2nd or 3rd. I doubt anybody here will really care if it's "50" or "L"
    :{)

Actually it would be kind of cool to be the only team to win one with regular numbers.
    Be a great trivia question 30 years from now.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

• ^^^ In my experience, upon most changes tradition matters very briefly, and people quickly get over it and move on to things that matter. :)

Edit: More accurate would be to say tradition for the sake of tradition. There are tons of traditions that serve purpose beyond simply being traditions (e.g. when conservative Christians talk about "traditional" marriage their claims are about MUCH MORE than simply tradition).
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

• pmedic920 wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:Tradition matters. Screw the change. I don't like it. Especially with that garish yellow "50" logo.

If it's OUR 2nd or 3rd. I doubt anybody here will really care if it's "50" or "L"
    :{)

Actually it would be kind of cool to be the only team to win one with regular numbers.
    Be a great trivia question 30 years from now.

The first few had regular numbers.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Hey Cardinals..........The FUN is OVER !!!
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Popeyejones wrote:^^^ In my experience, upon most changes tradition matters very briefly, and people quickly get over it and move on to things that matter. :)

Edit: More accurate would be to say tradition for the sake of tradition. There are tons of traditions that serve purpose beyond simply being traditions (e.g. when conservative Christians talk about "traditional" marriage their claims are about MUCH MORE than simply tradition).

Well, we're still waiting for 49ers fans to get over the tradition of their glory years from decades ago.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• RolandDeschain wrote:Well, we're still waiting for 49ers fans to get over the tradition of their glory years from decades ago.

Why do you think that they started that whole "AAH-OOH" thing?
    "The life you lose may be your own" - Drunk dude at the bar
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!

• loafoftatupu wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:Well, we're still waiting for 49ers fans to get over the tradition of their glory years from decades ago.

:lol: :th2thumbs:
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

• loafoftatupu wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:Well, we're still waiting for 49ers fans to get over the tradition of their glory years from decades ago.

Hehe. By the way with that avatar you have no room to call me "Tits" Mgee. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
    43-8...it's all about that action boss....
    next man up.
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran

• MizzouHawkGal wrote:
    loafoftatupu wrote:

Hehe. By the way with that avatar you have no room to call me "Tits" Mgee. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

It wasn't me.... I think it was a NinaTroll.
    "The life you lose may be your own" - Drunk dude at the bar
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!

• halfrack wrote:It doesn't matter what they call it, the whiners ain't gonna win it.

They would if they called it Felony.
    "You can hurry up all you want. But if you can't get yards and can't complete passes, then it's just quick three-and-outs." -- Richard Sherman
    SE174
    NET Veteran

Previous

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:36 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information