Vernon Davis not participating in OTAs

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. RATING: PG-13
Re: Vernon Davis not participating in OTAs
Fri May 30, 2014 12:48 pm
  • Throwdown wrote:
    Sourdough #49 wrote:
    Laloosh wrote:Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 37s
    More
    #49ers TE Vernon Davis is staying away from OTAs because he wants a new deal with 2 years left (as @MaioccoCSN said). Top 3 paid at his spot

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 37s

By the way, the #49ers have known about Vernon Davis’ desire for a new contract for a while, at least back in February. Not news to them.
    2:41 PM - 29 May 2014

And they don't respect the man enough to try and work something out? Class organization right there.

Nice spin.

He's already the 3rd highest paid TE in the NFL behind Gronk and Witten.

Free Agents they have to sign:

Kaep
    Crabtree
    Iupati
    Alex Boone is also asking for more money (and he deserves it)

Vernons problem is that he signed a front loaded contract and he's making "only" about 5 mil now...but he was paid up front.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

Fri May 30, 2014 12:53 pm
  • The more 49er discontent and animosity directed against their own players for asking for more money . . . the better.

hawknation2014
    NET Veteran

• Not sure how Niners fans can stomach this. I empathize with them. Davis brings up his numbers while SF had zero receivers and no TE depth and now tries to cash in before proving it on a full strength offense. Continues to play like a mouse versus SF's biggest rival.

If a similar situation happened in Seattle, it would get real ugly around here.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

• loafoftatupu wrote:Vernon Davis will be playing and he will get his coin. He is a bad-ass that just has a real serious Kamtrack allergy.

To be fair, he continues to go up against the Kam-track.

He loses every time, but he tries, God bless him.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• Seattle also made sure to re-do Clemons's contract when he briefly held out a couple years ago, but Seattle's FO tries their best to reward players who perform.

Davis's situation is a little bit different than Clemons's was, however.
    "He's a *****. It's not that he was a *****, he is a *****, and that's why he hasn't won anything."
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest

• Marvin love.

I know all of you are diehard Hawk fans, but it really is rare that you get a fan from another team who not only reads all of your homerisms, but also pretty much objectively posts about his own loved team.

I just wanted to point that out.
    Los Angeles Rams' fan who lives in San Diego.

"They call it Sack City because you'd rather live in a SACK."
    RedAlice
    NET Veteran

• Sarlacc83 wrote:
    loafoftatupu wrote:Vernon Davis will be playing and he will get his coin. He is a bad-ass that just has a real serious Kamtrack allergy.

You have to respect a guy that puts in extra work. In this case, working on his ability to take a hit from Kam Chancellor.

This happened the week following the second 'hawks game. Right back at it, perfecting that craft.

DAP. DAP.
    Last edited by SouthSoundHawk on Sat May 31, 2014 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Go Hawks.
    SouthSoundHawk
    NET Veteran

• DavidSeven wrote:Not sure how Niners fans can stomach this. I empathize with them. Davis brings up his numbers while SF had zero receivers and no TE depth and now tries to cash in before proving it on a full strength offense. Continues to play like a mouse versus SF's biggest rival.

If a similar situation happened in Seattle, it would get real ugly around here.

He broke the TD record for TEs only a couple seasons ago. Don't act like last season was his only stellar year.

And, to be honest, nobody on the 49ers even remembers the Kam Chancellor hit on Davis. It's football. Hits happen all the time. Trust me, the 49ers have just a hard hitting defense. Only difference is, our fanbase doesn't go around believing other players are scared of Patrick Willis or Navrrow Bowman.
    Front7vLOB
    NET Practice Squad

• And, to be honest, nobody on the 49ers even remembers the Kam Chancellor hit on Davis. It's football. Hits happen all the time. Trust me, the 49ers have just a hard hitting defense. Only difference is, our fanbase doesn't go around believing other players are scared of Patrick Willis or Navrrow Bowman.

Then they aren't paying attention because other NFL players ARE scared of Willis and Bowman...
    The_Z_Man
    NET Veteran

• The_Z_Man wrote:
    And, to be honest, nobody on the 49ers even remembers the Kam Chancellor hit on Davis. It's football. Hits happen all the time. Trust me, the 49ers have just a hard hitting defense. Only difference is, our fanbase doesn't go around believing other players are scared of Patrick Willis or Navrrow Bowman.

Then they aren't paying attention because other NFL players ARE scared of Willis and Bowman...

Sure, but those players that might be intimidated by Willis and Bowman aren't a complete liability on the field like people are suggesting Davis is against the Seahawks.
    Front7vLOB
    NET Practice Squad

Sat May 31, 2014 10:07 am
  • Niner fans should just worry about Vernon participating in games played at Seattle.
    60 percent of the time..........it works........every time
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Sat May 31, 2014 10:55 am
  • RedAlice wrote:Marvin love.

I know all of you are diehard Hawk fans, but it really is rare that you get a fan from another team who not only reads all of your homerisms, but also pretty much objectively posts about his own loved team.

:D
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

Sat May 31, 2014 11:07 am

Is that a way of patting yourself on the back?
    hawknation2014
    NET Veteran

Sat May 31, 2014 11:29 am
  • Front7vLOB wrote:Sure, but those players that might be intimidated by Willis and Bowman aren't a complete liability on the field like people are suggesting Davis is against the Seahawks.

A lot of suggestions on sports fan boards are what I call: "Huffin and Puffin" or "H&R" -- and you just need to recognize it as such and understand that there is no logical argument to be made against "H&R" statements, especially when you are in home territory.
    The_Z_Man
    NET Veteran

• Front7vLOB wrote:He broke the TD record for TEs only a couple seasons ago. Don't act like last season was his only stellar year.

Davis took a long time to develop into the receiving TE he was drafted to be. We are talking 3-4 years of consistent production in games that really mattered. Some of that could be QB or offensive style, but out of the blocks Davis was a disappointment.

And to be honest every 49er remembers the hits on Davis. Especially Davis. It was evident in the NFCC and there just isn't a lot of guys out there that can do that to a 250 pound TE.

It's not our fault that Kamtrack has highlight reel hits on your boy that NFLN replays frequently. Impossible to forget.

Just read a pre game thread in a Niner forum, you will see the posts about how RW is scared. Of course more often than not RW makes the defender look like Warner Brothers cartoon Villian.
    "The life you lose may be your own" - Drunk dude at the bar
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!

LOL NOPE

But I forgive you because I like that you rep being a fan of the LOS ANGELES Rams, as God intended the Rams to be known.
    "He's a *****. It's not that he was a *****, he is a *****, and that's why he hasn't won anything."
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

• hawknation2014 wrote:Davis says he "might not" attend mandatory training camp.

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2014/05/30 ... -be-there/

Oh me, oh my! 8)
    42-13, 29-3, and 23-17 and a Lombardi trophy from THIS millennium.....deal with it niner trolls

SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

• loafoftatupu wrote:
    Front7vLOB wrote:He broke the TD record for TEs only a couple seasons ago. Don't act like last season was his only stellar year.

Davis took a long time to develop into the receiving TE he was drafted to be. We are talking 3-4 years of consistent production in games that really mattered. Some of that could be QB or offensive style, but out of the blocks Davis was a disappointment.

And to be honest every 49er remembers the hits on Davis. Especially Davis. It was evident in the NFCC and there just isn't a lot of guys out there that can do that to a 250 pound TE.

It's not our fault that Kamtrack has highlight reel hits on your boy that NFLN replays frequently. Impossible to forget.

Just read a pre game thread in a Niner forum, you will see the posts about how RW is scared. Of course more often than not RW makes the defender look like Warner Brothers cartoon Villian.

That's fair.

He also needed an adjustment in attitude. Vernon has been a completely different player since the day Mike Singletary kicked him out of the game.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

• Just pay the man. Whatever it is he wants... double it.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

• HawkWow wrote:Just pay the man. Whatever it is he wants... double it.

Yep.. It's totally obvious that Davis' main concern is winning a Super Bowl. Definitely pay the man more.
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!

• Smelly McUgly wrote:Seattle also made sure to re-do Clemons's contract when he briefly held out a couple years ago, but Seattle's FO tries their best to reward players who perform.

Like how they never even bothered offering Tate a deal so that they could pay Percy two million per catch last year? Or like how they cut Robinson too late for him to catch on anywhere else last year, or like how they cut one of their team captains one year after extending him to avoid giving him his roster bonus because they decided they liked a rental FA better?

And I'm not even remotely bagging on the Hawks at all. EVERY fan of every team is living in a glass house when throwing those stones.
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

• Popeyejones wrote:
    Smelly McUgly wrote:Seattle also made sure to re-do Clemons's contract when he briefly held out a couple years ago, but Seattle's FO tries their best to reward players who perform.

Like how they never even bothered offering Tate a deal so that they could pay Percy two million per catch last year? Or like how they cut Robinson too late for him to catch on anywhere else last year, or like how they cut one of their team captains one year after extending him to avoid giving him his roster bonus because they decided they liked a rental FA better?

And I'm not even remotely bagging on the Hawks at all. EVERY fan of every team is living in a glass house when throwing those stones.

Well, at least you aren't making shit up to support your position.
    I am a firm believer in luck, and I found that the harder I work the more I have of it.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

• Popeyejones wrote:
    Smelly McUgly wrote:Seattle also made sure to re-do Clemons's contract when he briefly held out a couple years ago, but Seattle's FO tries their best to reward players who perform.

Like how they never even bothered offering Tate a deal so that they could pay Percy two million per catch last year? Or like how they cut Robinson too late for him to catch on anywhere else last year, or like how they cut one of their team captains one year after extending him to avoid giving him his roster bonus because they decided they liked a rental FA

Someone's bottom is still smarting after the NFCCG. ^^^

But I'm sure you are "over it and all".... :roll:

I'm not complaining but I've noticed you've posted a lot less since Seattle ended the digits season....... but now you are starting to feel more brave as your false bravado grows as a new season is on the horizon.

Neat! :sarcasm_off:
    42-13, 29-3, and 23-17 and a Lombardi trophy from THIS millennium.....deal with it niner trolls

Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:12 pm
  • HawkWow wrote:Just pay the man. Whatever it is he wants... double it.

I say triple it. If they can pay Krapperstanck 18M a year surely Davis is worth 17.5M?
    43-8...it's all about that action boss....
    next man up.
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:42 pm
  • HMM nina fans may not remember the original KamTram hit:

BUT Part 2 wasn't so bad either and can't be as easy to shake knowing you got dazed by the same dude previous yr.. except now its in the NFCCG.. Face it Kams got his number and Don't say he wasn't dazed, I laughed seeing vernon blink and shake his head crazy to keep from being pulled the ball coming out like that I'd say a nice quick blackout

Conference Championships: NFC: 2005, 2013
    Division Campionships: AFC West: 1988, 1999 NFC West: 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2013
    Superbowl Championships: 2013 XLVIII Final Score: Sea 43 Den 8.. SUCK IT
    Exittium
    NET Veteran

• Sports Hernia wrote:
    I'm not complaining but I've noticed you've posted a lot less since Seattle ended the digits season....... but now you are starting to feel more brave as your false bravado grows as a new season is on the horizon.

Lol at the delusional timeline. I posted a ton through the beginning of March and since then have posted much, much less for the exact reason I said I'd be posting much, much less: my wife gave birth to our first child -- a daughter -- on March 15. I just simply don't have the time to clean up hers while also commenting on your incessant obsession with rolling around in yours. ;)
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

• Don't bother with Sports Hernia. He is borderline stocker who can't have an intelligent football conversation without trolling anyone who disagrees with him. I wouldn't be surprised if he has your post history printed up on his wall.
    JZ#1
    NET Rookie

• Popeyejones wrote:

They did offer Tate a deal, just not as much as he wanted, nor as much as Detroit was willing to offer him. I think he was smart to take the money and move on.

Robinson came down with an illness in training camp last year and was not able to play football for ANY team, so your point is rather moot. Considering his organs almost completely shut down and he lost 30lbs, playing a position that is not highly sought after (FB), the timing of his cut had little to do with his not joining a team early on in the season. Considering we later brought him back makes this even less of a point.

Are you talking about Clemons for the 3rd one? I guess I can see what you're saying, but he was a 32 y/o on year 3 of his 3 year extension and would have counted for $9.5m against the cap... pretty much everyone saw that cut coming. Not sure any team would have kept him at that price. Jags signed him for a much more reasonable 4 year/ $17.5 mil.

I mean, I get your point that all teams make business decisions, but your specific choices were all logical moves and not really out of line.
    Danger Zone
    Archer
    NET Rookie

• JZ#1 wrote:Don't bother with Sports Hernia. He is borderline stocker who can't have an intelligent football conversation without trolling anyone who disagrees with him. I wouldn't be surprised if he has your post history printed up on his wall.

Nah, you see we pretty much know Popeye. He comes as the Niner fan he is. He likely was a little torqued because there was a lot of weighted conversation after the NFCCG. Nobody was stalking him and he will always be welcome.

You on the other hand? Stalking should be the least of your concerns.
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!

• I guess the mike singletary influence wore off.
    Kaiser
    NET Rookie

• Average Salary, 2014

1 Jason Witten
    Tight End
    $7,400,000

2 Vernon Davis
    Tight End
    $7,350,000

3 Antonio Gates
    Tight End
    $7,235,000

4 Jimmy Graham (I'm Jimmy!!!)
    Tight End
    $7,035,000
    franchise tag

5 Jared Cook
    Tight End
    $7,020,000

6 Rob Gronkowski
    Tight End
    $6,903,750

7 Zach Miller
    Tight End
    $6,800,000
    As a musician and audio quality champion, Neil Young said in 2012, “Steve Jobs was a pioneer of digital music. But when he went home, he listened to vinyl.”
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

• Popeyejones wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:

Lol at the delusional timeline. I posted a ton through the beginning of March and since then have posted much, much less for the exact reason I said I'd be posting much, much less: my wife gave birth to our first child -- a daughter -- on March 15. I just simply don't have the time to clean up hers while also commenting on your incessant obsession with rolling around in yours. ;)

I think you should pay more attention to your new priorities in life than trolling a rival fan forum. Time to grow up and be an adult, right?

Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

• JZ#1 wrote:Don't bother with Sports Hernia. He is borderline stocker who can't have an intelligent football conversation without trolling anyone who disagrees with him. I wouldn't be surprised if he has your post history printed up on his wall.

This is rich coming from the biggest Nina troll who masquerades as a Hawks fan. You're acting skills are poor, son!

PS. I'm going to pull a Roland here...... The word is "stalker" not "stocker"...... Nina trolls don't spell well either?

Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

• JZ#1 - I bet people would get off your case if you would just come clean and admit that you are a 49er fan.

Original topic: Vernon Davis had better get used to sitting on his couch because the 49ers are going to try and sign Crabtree next. I'm guessing Davis gives this one up, but if he doesn't, that should be interesting.

Considering that Roman's offense has Kaepernick making only one or two reads at a time and that they will be pounding the ball a ton this year with Gore/Hyde/Lattimer, I don't see that Davis has any leverage at all, whatsoever.
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:49 pm
  • Today Vern said he started trying to get a new deal done DURING last season.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• SouthSoundHawk wrote:
    Sarlacc83 wrote:
    loafoftatupu wrote:Vernon Davis will be playing and he will get his coin. He is a bad-ass that just has a real serious Kamtrack allergy.

You have to respect a guy that puts in extra work. In this case, working on his ability to take a hit from Kam Chancellor.

This happened the week following the second 'hawks game. Right back at it, perfecting that craft.

DAP. DAP.

I think I remember someone asking if Kam got flagged for that play.
    Mike 4G
    NET Bench Warmer

• Smelly McUgly wrote:JZ#1 - I bet people would get off your case if you would just come clean and admit that you are a 49er fan.

Original topic: Vernon Davis had better get used to sitting on his couch because the 49ers are going to try and sign Crabtree next. I'm guessing Davis gives this one up, but if he doesn't, that should be interesting.

Considering that Roman's offense has Kaepernick making only one or two reads at a time and that they will be pounding the ball a ton this year with Gore/Hyde/Lattimer, I don't see that Davis has any leverage at all, whatsoever.

Oh hell no, he claims to be a Hawk fan he's all yours.
    lvnginhwktwn
    NET Veteran

• lvnginhwktwn wrote:
    Smelly McUgly wrote:JZ#1 - I bet people would get off your case if you would just come clean and admit that you are a 49er fan.

HAHA, even you know that's not true. Why don't you put his helmut back on him and try and keep him from licking the windows while you take him home. :D
    The Lion has no interest in the opinion of the sheep.
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran

• Mike 4G wrote:
    SouthSoundHawk wrote:
    Sarlacc83 wrote:

DAP. DAP.

I heard that wall and Kam are related.
    20% off Karmaloop & 10% off PLNDR, rep code: DUCK20
    dontbelikethat
    NET Veteran

• Yawn, Kam has made Davis his Bitch, and he always will be.
    60 percent of the time..........it works........every time
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• RichNhansom wrote:
    lvnginhwktwn wrote:
    Smelly McUgly wrote:JZ#1 - I bet people would get off your case if you would just come clean and admit that you are a 49er fan.

HAHA, even you know that's not true. Why don't you put his helmut back on him and try and keep him from licking the windows while you take him home. :D

ROFLMAO!
    lvnginhwktwn
    NET Veteran

• Before I forget, congrats to Popeye on his new daughter (and I mean that sincerely).

Now I'm going to call CPS because Popeye is unjustly abusing that poor baby by preparing to raise her as a 49er fan.
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

• ADB is an exception to the rule.

I hate holdouts as a fan. As a person that has to work for a living, I have come around to understanding why for the players it's the norm. It's practically the only leverage players have. And that's the same for just about every entrepreneur or business owner including team owners - use the leverage you have to get the best deal.

"In today’s NFL, players have every right to hold out"
    "He has the right to hold out because, if he does, he’s behaving no differently than the men who amassed enough money and influence to own an NFL team. Businessmen don’t simply trip into success (although some are born into it); they make shrewd decisions, based on the realities of any given situation with which they’re faced."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -hold-out/

"Blame the system, not the holdout"

"As one unnamed agent said, "Players hold out today for the same reason they did 15 or 20 years ago: It's the only option they have. Contracts in other industries can be bilateral -- meaning both parties have control in the agreement -- but in the NFL they are unilateral. All the power goes to one party."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/83216 ... me-holdout
    byau
    NET Rookie

• Mike 4G wrote:
    SouthSoundHawk wrote:
    Sarlacc83 wrote:

DAP. DAP.

hahahaha :229031_victory:
    byau
    NET Rookie

Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:02 am
  • SacHawk2.0 wrote:Funny thing about all that Niner "talent". It was stockpiled from years of sucking and drafting early. Schneider is a baws.

THIS
    LOVE, LOYALTY, RESPECT & HONOR
    GLOCKHAWK
    NET Rookie

Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:33 am
  • Smelly McUgly wrote:Before I forget, congrats to Popeye on his new daughter (and I mean that sincerely).

Now I'm going to call CPS because Popeye is unjustly abusing that poor baby by preparing to raise her as a 49er fan.

OK...genuinely...that's funny. :D
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:37 am
  • Scottemojo wrote:Today Vern said he started trying to get a new deal done DURING last season.

Correct.

I think this is about a couple things...

1) The Fantex thing. I think he's actually trying to act like a corporation and raise his stock value (and no, I'm not really cool with that).

2) I don't think this is so much about getting a raise as it is about extending the length of the contract in order to remain in SF till he retires and again, increase the value of his "stock".

I think the whole thing (Fantex) is kinda loony to be honest with you. I'm not a fan.

I think he'll report to mandatory camp BTW and likely won't be extended till next year when they can convert his salary to a signing bonus and lower his cap number while extending the contract.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:57 am
  • He has already stated he'll be at mandatory training camp according to Sirius radio. The problem in ninnie land is you have an unhappy superstar that wants his contract redone. I don't think he'd intentionally "dog it" on the field but subconsciously might not be "all in" on the little intangibles that win or lose games.

Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

PreviousNext

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:40 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information