Vernon Davis not participating in OTAs

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. RATING: PG-13
Vernon Davis not participating in OTAs
Thu May 29, 2014 10:23 am
  • Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 37s
    More
    #49ers TE Vernon Davis is staying away from OTAs because he wants a new deal with 2 years left (as @MaioccoCSN said). Top 3 paid at his spot
    Marvin49 wrote:Ok. I have to admit. That's messed up.

You win.
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

Re: Vernon Davis not participating in OTAs
Thu May 29, 2014 10:25 am
  • Let him sit. Live that these clowns are getting greedy
    Diezel Dawg
    NET Starter

Thu May 29, 2014 10:56 am
  • Give the guy a break, he is still recovering from getting "Kamtraked" in late Janurary. 8)
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu May 29, 2014 11:03 am
  • Sounds like he's going to hold out. Missing OTAs already cost him $200K.

Kind of surprising to me. He has two years left and isn't making peanuts. They don't have much cap room and still need to extend Kaep, Crabtree and Iupati, who are all due before VD. Apparently, OL Alex Boone wants a new deal, too, and he also has two years remaining on his contract.

They have to make a sacrifice somewhere.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

Thu May 29, 2014 11:09 am
  • More proof (not that we needed it) that

ADB > VD
    :les:

kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Thu May 29, 2014 11:29 am
  • You can tell him it's ok to show up......Kam isn't there.

R.I.P. Brother Les, I'll always know you as Pithy Radish.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu May 29, 2014 12:46 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:You can tell him it's ok to show up......Kam isn't there.

Incorrect.

Kam is everywhere.
    Last edited by SacHawk2.0 on Thu May 29, 2014 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    "Pete Carroll brings in great elves...and they make the best presents."
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

• DavidSeven wrote:Sounds like he's going to hold out. Missing OTAs already cost him $200K.

Kind of surprising to me. He has two years left and isn't making peanuts. They don't have much cap room and still need to extend Kaep, Crabtree and Iupati, who are all due before VD. Apparently, OL Alex Boone wants a new deal, too, and he also has two years remaining on his contract.

Why does missing out on Otas cost him money? I thought they were optional?
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

• Tech Worlds wrote:
    DavidSeven wrote:Sounds like he's going to hold out. Missing OTAs already cost him $200K.

Don't most players have financial incentives built into contracts to encourage participation? Seem to recall a Niner losing out on more than that last year because his agent didn't read the damn contract.

You win.
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

• The Niners are imploding before our eyes.

Who's next? Staley is severely underpaid.
    hawknation2014
    NET Veteran

• SacHawk2.0 wrote:
    Largent80 wrote:You can tell him it's ok to show up......Kam isn't there.

Incorrect.

Kam its everywhere.

:les:

kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Tech Worlds wrote:
    DavidSeven wrote:Sounds like he's going to hold out. Missing OTAs already cost him $200K.

He has a workout bonus written into his current contract. He's forfeiting it by not showing up.

Matt Maiocco ‏@MaioccoCSN 21h
    TE Vernon Davis forfeits $200K in workout bonuses by not participating in the 49ers' offseason program. http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/davis-b ... n-workouts
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

• Apparently the RG, Boone, is also not at OTAs, wants more money as well.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• SacHawk2.0 wrote:
    Largent80 wrote:You can tell him it's ok to show up......Kam isn't there.

Incorrect.

Kam is everywhere.

No your thinking of Chuck Norris. But now that you mention it, I have never seen them in the same place at the same time.....Hmmmm
    Just The Tip......
    TAB420
    NET Rookie

• Davis needs to fire his agent. He signed a 6 year deal in 2010 that would have him hitting free agency at 32 years of age. I think it is kind of crappy to try and get a new deal right now, but I understand why.
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• Dude should play out the contract he signed (at least through this season). I hate it when players holdout for more money when they still have a few years left on their current contract. It just puts a bad taste in my mouth, as if they think they're bigger than the team.

In this case, that's great! The more turmoil in SC, the better...love watching that organization and fans do their thing (whine).

Go Hawks.
    SouthSoundHawk
    NET Veteran

• Scottemojo wrote:Davis needs to fire his agent. He signed a 6 year deal in 2010 that would have him hitting free agency at 32 years of age. I think it is kind of crappy to try and get a new deal right now, but I understand why.

The Niners' FO has screwed over a lot of their players with deals like this one. It's great . . . until it blows up in your face.
    hawknation2014
    NET Veteran

• 2 years left on his deal? I actually like Vernon Davis but its hard to imagine this generation of Seahawk players behaving this way. Just another example of how Seattle is on another level organizationally.
    Missing_Clink
    NET Veteran

• Laloosh wrote:Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 37s
    More
    #49ers TE Vernon Davis is staying away from OTAs because he wants a new deal with 2 years left (as @MaioccoCSN said). Top 3 paid at his spot

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 37s

By the way, the #49ers have known about Vernon Davis’ desire for a new contract for a while, at least back in February. Not news to them.
    2:41 PM - 29 May 2014
    Sourdough #49
    NET Rookie

• Look, if I had to play a game where I got hit so hard my soul left the football field, I'd hold out to get paid more too.
    Richard Sherman doesn't just wanna get in your head, he wants to build a vacation home there.

R. Sherman: "I don't want to be an island. I want to be a tourist attraction. You come, I take your money & you go."
    SalishHawkFan
    NET Veteran

• The 49ers are going to have a decent amount of player turnover in the next few years. Its pretty much expected that one or both of Iupati and Crabtree won't be back. They drafted Brandon Thomas who tore his ACL working out with his Saints, otherwise he would of been a high pick. He will likely step in to replace Iupati. Crabtree is a toss up. I think he won't be back and he is less a necessity to them since they signed Stevie Johnson. Several players are getting up there in age and will be on the wrong side of 30 when their contract is up. I am not saying the 49ers won't remain good, just it will be much more challenging for them to stay good and replenish then the Seahawks. Their best players are further along in their life cycle. This is why you saw the 49ers make so many draft picks instead of trading up for one player. They need to replenish and retool. They will still have good young talent but its not likely they will keep all this elite talent.

Kaepernick will cost a good amount of salary cap so the future success of the organization relies on his continued development and the development of the run game.
    JZ#1
    NET Rookie

• Vernon Davis will be playing and he will get his coin. He is a bad-ass that just has a real serious Kamtrack allergy.
    "The life you lose may be your own" - Drunk dude at the bar
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!

• Sourdough #49 wrote:
    Laloosh wrote:Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 37s
    More

By the way, the #49ers have known about Vernon Davis’ desire for a new contract for a while, at least back in February. Not news to them.

Of course they have, I doubt it is even a big deal to them whether or not VD is in OTAs. It won't matter come training camp.
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!

• JZ#1 wrote:The 49ers are going to have a decent amount of player turnover in the next few years. Its pretty much expected that one or both of Iupati and Crabtree won't be back. They drafted Brandon Thomas who tore his ACL working out with his Saints, otherwise he would of been a high pick. He will likely step in to replace Iupati. Crabtree is a toss up. I think he won't be back and he is less a necessity to them since they signed Stevie Johnson. Several players are getting up there in age and will be on the wrong side of 30 when their contract is up. I am not saying the 49ers won't remain good, just it will be much more challenging for them to stay good and replenish then the Seahawks. Their best players are further along in their life cycle. This is why you saw the 49ers make so many draft picks instead of trading up for one player. They need to replenish and retool. They will still have good young talent but its not likely they will keep all this elite talent.

Kaepernick will cost a good amount of salary cap so the future success of the organization relies on his continued development and the development of the run game.

I would not be shocked if Iupati, Crabtree, J. Smith and Gore were no longer with the 49ers next season. I won't shed a tear when Crabs leaves as he and Iupati will both command big bucks. Quite honestly I don't know how we will replace Crabtree and shortly after Boldin. As far as replacing Iupati, we have a few options like Martin, Kilgore, Looney, and as you mentioned Thomas. If Tank Carradine shows something special he may be the one to take J. Smith spot next season. Gore is slowing down but is still a great blocker and knows how to find the seams. I expect Hunter and Gore early in the season with perhaps a late season showing of Hyde. Heck Hunter may not be back next season if Lattimore can return to some of his previous form. I am hoping Smith and Gore get to retire on top with rings. We just have to manage to get through the toughest division in the league before we can have a chance for that to happen.
    Sourdough #49
    NET Rookie

• First post!

Lots of underlying disfunction from the top of the Niners FO and trickling to the players. However, Niners will win a lot of games due to their talent. In the tight NFCW, it could make all the difference. Here's to the fall of the Niners. :)
    Sherman4Prez
    NET Practice Squad

• Funny thing about all that Niner "talent". It was stockpiled from years of sucking and drafting early. Schneider is a baws.
    "Pete Carroll brings in great elves...and they make the best presents."
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

• SacHawk2.0 wrote:Funny thing about all that Niner "talent". It was stockpiled from years of sucking and drafting early. Schneider is a baws.

That's about to catch up with them, too. They won't be able to pay them all in the near future. Guys starting to cry who are under contract is the last thing they need. :thirishdrinkers:
    Sherman4Prez
    NET Practice Squad

• JZ#1 wrote:The 49ers are going to have a decent amount of player turnover in the next few years. Its pretty much expected that one or both of Iupati and Crabtree won't be back. They drafted Brandon Thomas who tore his ACL working out with his Saints, otherwise he would of been a high pick. He will likely step in to replace Iupati. Crabtree is a toss up. I think he won't be back and he is less a necessity to them since they signed Stevie Johnson. Several players are getting up there in age and will be on the wrong side of 30 when their contract is up. I am not saying the 49ers won't remain good, just it will be much more challenging for them to stay good and replenish then the Seahawks. Their best players are further along in their life cycle. This is why you saw the 49ers make so many draft picks instead of trading up for one player. They need to replenish and retool. They will still have good young talent but its not likely they will keep all this elite talent.

Is this opinion of a Hawks or 49ers fan?
    lvnginhwktwn
    NET Veteran

• The Niners are beginning to experience why it sucks to be a loaded team that wins a lot if games. Bottom line is the NFL if getting greedy more and more the game is played and the better the player gets. Vernon does indeed deserve a better contract. So does Boone, Crabtree, Iupati, etc. but the fact of the matter is with the salary cap no team can hord these players forever.

Developing young talent is a prime way to get new youth and talent. I wish the Niners did this better. One thing that gets me bugged is when a player signs a CONTRACT then bitches when he hates it and wants another one. Sorry Vernon and Boone play your contract then get another.
    rlkats
    NET Veteran

• rlkats wrote:The Niners are beginning to experience why it sucks to be a loaded team that wins a lot if games. Bottom line is the NFL if getting greedy more and more the game is played and the better the player gets. Vernon does indeed deserve a better contract. So does Boone, Crabtree, Iupati, etc. but the fact of the matter is with the salary cap no team can hord these players forever.

Developing young talent is a prime way to get new youth and talent. I wish the Niners did this better. One thing that gets me bugged is when a player signs a CONTRACT then bitches when he hates it and wants another one. Sorry Vernon and Boone play your contract then get another.

This.

That's why they are called contracts. Such it up and get to work, you're still getting paid millions to play football.
    lvnginhwktwn
    NET Veteran

• I think Vernon realizes that his best seasons are behind him. He knows that his targets will dwindle with a healthy Mediocre receiver, and other young "talent". Plus he has to be worrying about all the money that's going to be spent on other players in the next year, soon there won't be anything left for his extension.
    HAWKAMANIA
    NET Starter

• He's already one of the few highest-paid tight ends in the league. This reeks of greed. Give me a break. I'd be annoyed with any Seahawk that did this under the same circumstances. (Top 3 in pay @ his position with two years remaining.)
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• Singletary should send him to his room again.
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

hawknation2014
    NET Veteran

• Tech Worlds wrote:Singletary should send him to his room again.

No worries Kam will reeducate him when the time comes.
    43-8...it's all about that action boss....
    next man up.
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran

Thu May 29, 2014 10:05 pm
  • lvnginhwktwn wrote:
    JZ#1 wrote:The 49ers are going to have a decent amount of player turnover in the next few years. Its pretty much expected that one or both of Iupati and Crabtree won't be back. They drafted Brandon Thomas who tore his ACL working out with his Saints, otherwise he would of been a high pick. He will likely step in to replace Iupati. Crabtree is a toss up. I think he won't be back and he is less a necessity to them since they signed Stevie Johnson. Several players are getting up there in age and will be on the wrong side of 30 when their contract is up. I am not saying the 49ers won't remain good, just it will be much more challenging for them to stay good and replenish then the Seahawks. Their best players are further along in their life cycle. This is why you saw the 49ers make so many draft picks instead of trading up for one player. They need to replenish and retool. They will still have good young talent but its not likely they will keep all this elite talent.

Is this opinion of a Hawks or 49ers fan?

loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!

Thu May 29, 2014 10:09 pm
  • Oh that's just classic.:)
    43-8...it's all about that action boss....
    next man up.
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran

Thu May 29, 2014 10:22 pm
  • The thing about Davis is that he really is a talented TE, has speed and can catch. But it didn't happen nearly as early as it should have. When drafted, Niner fans expected impact immediately. He gave them early physicality, but he wasn't performing at the level so many thought he would.

It did finally happen for him, but I didn't really consider him a threat until 2011. I actually felt that Walker was more productive at times. So now he is a fantastic TE, but the guy is in his 9th season. It was like the Niners got half of a career from him. He knows the team's situation with the cap and if he wants to play on a team with a shot he is going to need to back off for now.

It's just OTAs, but damn Vernon.. you could at least wait until there is one year left. Maybe he just wants to skip OTAs, but if this is about money it won't sit right with the Niners needing to sign Kaeperstank.
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!

Thu May 29, 2014 10:53 pm
  • He basically threw $200k into the fire. He's not going to get more out of them right now.

You win.
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

Thu May 29, 2014 11:17 pm
  • Sourdough #49 wrote:
    More

And they don't respect the man enough to try and work something out? Class organization right there.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Scottemojo wrote:Apparently the RG, Boone, is also not at OTAs, wants more money as well.

Meanwhile, the Seahawks have managed to keep all their best players, signing them to extended contracts before they even hit free agency.
    Feel free to contact me if you need legal assistance. I have a great lawyer that helped me with an ex who violated my privacy and kept harassing me on MySpace and Facebook. He's very good. And there is legal precedent. - linuxpro

He is hold back the legion of boom - skater18000
    SmokinHawk
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

• Sourdough #49 wrote:
    More

This makes me laugh. Niner fans breathing a big sigh of relief because the front office knew VD wants a new deal. So?

Vernon Davis just dropped a 200,000 bonus to miss OTAs. Who cares what the front office knew, Davis just escalated the dispute. That bonus was in the deal to reduce the chances of a holdout. Which means Davis just pushed 200K into the middle of the table, gambling he will get that 200K plus a whole lot more. Either that, or Davis hates practice so much he will pay to skip it. And we know it isn't that.

2 players went pre-emptive on the Niners, trying to grab some coin before Kaepernick gets his big pay day. If not everybody gets what he wants, that locker room could be interesting.
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• Throwdown wrote:
    Sourdough #49 wrote:
    More

And they don't respect the man enough to try and work something out? Class organization right there.

Don't think this is the case, if he gets away with it what kind of message would that send? I would think that any team including the Hawks would not allow one of their players to bully them. And for Davis to throw away 200K is ridiculous, hell if you don't care about the money, do the OTAs and donate the money.
    lvnginhwktwn
    NET Veteran

• The Niners knew all about this and just like the Seahawks have a plan in place an will stick to it. They have extended and spent alot of money for there young players. The Hawks are doin the exact same thing. Extending there young talent and will be making the same decisions in 3 years when the short but good contracts are about to be up. They just like the rest of the league will have to make tough decisions. The hawks lost some good players this year and extended the future talent they identified to be invaluable. There is no denying that the NIners system works and works well. We were terrible for the better part of 10 years until this regime changed everything from the way they think to the way they do contracts. You cant pay everyone which is why they took 12 young players in the draft. This is the NFL we live in now. You will pay Russel next year and will have an enormous amount of money committed to your top players. Its delusional to think they wont be making very tough decisions in the near future.
    Bob loblaw
    NET Bench Warmer

• SmokinHawk wrote:
    Scottemojo wrote:Apparently the RG, Boone, is also not at OTAs, wants more money as well.

Meanwhile, the Seahawks have managed to keep all their best players, signing them to extended contracts before they even hit free agency.

You have no idea what you are talking about...

Boone was an UDFA. 49ers gave him a sizable contract after it was apparent he could be a starting guard in this league. Fortunately for the 49ers and Boone (and, ironically, kinda unfortunate), Boone has proven to be a ProBowl level Guard. Iupati's contract is up after this season. Boone and his agent know that the 49ers can only offer one a contract. So, rather than waiting till next offseason when Iupati might be resigned, Boone wants to get that extension ASAP.

This has nothing to do with the FO not being up to par with the Seahawks. The 49ers are actually more proven than the Seahawks when it comes to locking up their own players... See: Joe Staley, Anthony Davis, Navrrow Bowman, Tramaine Brock, Ray McDonald, Ahmad Brooks, etc.

I get your post was mostly a senseless dig at the 49ers, but you sound like you have no idea what the hell you are talking about
    Front7vLOB
    NET Practice Squad

• Yes they've known he wants more money or out of the NYC west since his concussion cleared from being Kamtracked.

The irony is all the webzine predictions yhat Sherman and Thomas would hold out for contracts so nice we won't be able to resign them. Doh.

Truth is VD will be 32 if he waits and likely won't get as good of a contract so now is his best chance. Doesn't change that I'm loving it.
    The Lion has no interest in the opinion of the sheep.
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran

• RichNhansom wrote:

The irony is all the webzine predictions yhat Sherman and Thomas would hold out for contracts so nice we won't be able to resign them. Doh.

Truth is VD will be 32 if he waits and likely won't get as good of a contract so now is his best chance. Doesn't change that I'm loving it.

The Seahawks gave Sherman and Thomas the highest paid contracts at their respective positions, why would they hold out? (yes, I know Haden got more)

I agree about your point on Vernon though
    Front7vLOB
    NET Practice Squad

Fri May 30, 2014 12:10 pm
  • lvnginhwktwn wrote:
    Throwdown wrote:
    Sourdough #49 wrote:
    More

Don't think this is the case, if he gets away with it what kind of message would that send? I would think that any team including the Hawks would not allow one of their players to bully them. And for Davis to throw away 200K is ridiculous, hell if you don't care about the money, do the OTAs and donate the money.

If they knew back in February, why did they just sit there and let this fester then? It didn't have to get to this point.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Fri May 30, 2014 12:39 pm
  • hawknation2014 wrote:The Niners are imploding before our eyes.

Who's next? Staley is severely underpaid.

oh please.

Just players (and agents) who see a huge expansion of the cap coming and want a piece of it. I highly doubt Vernons gets his wish BTW and I'll bet he shows up when it becomes mandatory. He' about the teams 6th or 7th priority right now because he already has a 2 year deal that makes him the 3rd highest paid player at his position in the league.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:36 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information