SF Linemen

Clayfighter

Reaction score
I have been reading and hearing from local fans that the 9ers may be losing at least one of their lineman and may have trouble retaining others due to pay demands and cap space. Any thoughts?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
One can hope, the more they spend, the better. That's why I'm hoping Chokesondick gets a massive pay day, because it will likely contribute to them losing guys in the near future. Plus, he's always good for doing something stupid in a big game. Unlike Mr. Wilson.

OP
OP
Clayfighter

Clayfighter

Reaction score
Exittium":2wb49dhf said:
Not hawk related

Well, they are a division rival of the hawks and it could affect the play of the hawks in at least 2 games a year. That is why i wanted a discussion and input from people on this board more savvy than me or who might be following this sitch more closely. :les:

pmedic920

Reaction score
Clayfighter":mg4p5o5o said:
Exittium":mg4p5o5o said:
Not hawk related

Well, they are a division rival of the hawks and it could affect the play of the hawks in at least 2 games a year. That is why i wanted a discussion and input from people on this board more savvy than me or who might be following this sitch more closely. :les:

It's good to hear these kinds of rumors.
The NFL forum is the place.
No harm no foul. Mods will move it for you.

Front7vLOB

Reaction score
Clayfighter":6mk37zzi said:
I have been reading and hearing from local fans that the 9ers may be losing at least one of their lineman and may have trouble retaining others due to pay demands and cap space. Any thoughts?
i don't really know what any of your generalizations mean, but if you want me to give you the status of the OLine real quick I can..

Staley and Anthony Davis, 49ers starting Tackles, are locked up thru 2017..

Iupati, the LG, is on the last year of his rookie deal.

Boone, the RG, was an UDFA and has subsequently outperformed any and all expectations. He was a ProBowl alternate the past 2 seasons. He has not reported to camp because he wants a new contract--- This doesn't hurt the 49ers all that much because everyone knew he was going to get paid once his contract expired, so now it's all about finding him an appropriate contract.

Our Center position has Martin, the rookie, and Daniel Kilgore competing for the starting role.

-----------------------

To sum up, the 49ers will probably lose Iupati after this season. I think the 49ers would rather throw money at Boone more so than Iupati. Boone will be cheaper since Iupati has the 1st round status and the ProBowl accolades.

Overall, there is a guarantee the 49ers will lose one of the starting guards next offseason. But, for this year, they will have everyone back. And next season will be returning 4/5 starters...

I'd say the 49ers are in good shape

OP
OP
Clayfighter

Clayfighter

Reaction score
Front7vLOB":3frweg7j said:
Clayfighter":3frweg7j said:
i don't really know what any of your generalizations mean, but if you want me to give you the status of the OLine real quick I can..

Staley and Anthony Davis, 49ers starting Tackles, are locked up thru 2017..

Iupati, the LG, is on the last year of his rookie deal.

Boone, the RG, was an UDFA and has subsequently outperformed any and all expectations. He was a ProBowl alternate the past 2 seasons. He has not reported to camp because he wants a new contract--- This doesn't hurt the 49ers all that much because everyone knew he was going to get paid once his contract expired, so now it's all about finding him an appropriate contract.

Our Center position has Martin, the rookie, and Daniel Kilgore competing for the starting role.

-----------------------

To sum up, the 49ers will probably lose Iupati after this season. I think the 49ers would rather throw money at Boone more so than Iupati. Boone will be cheaper since Iupati has the 1st round status and the ProBowl accolades.

Overall, there is a guarantee the 49ers will lose one of the starting guards next offseason. But, for this year, they will have everyone back. And next season will be returning 4/5 starters...

I'd say the 49ers are in good shape

Thanks for the update! Ya i don't see it affecting too much if you can fill Iupati's position with some decent talent.

Largent80

Reaction score
Curious to see how Martin works out as I wanted him on the Hawks, just not a place for him.

Front7vLOB

Reaction score
Largent80":257zb4z2 said:
Curious to see how Martin works out as I wanted him on the Hawks, just not a place for him.
Yeah, the 49ers were definitely fortunate Martin fell so far, but you have to wonder why other teams passed on him. He is only 20 years old, so he might need a couple years to develop, which is fine for the 49ers since they have enough talent on the OLine this season for him to sit and learn from the bench.

Overall, I think the 49ers OLine is still their best unit, and it should be their best unit for the next few seasons.

Meeker

Reaction score
I've read Niners fans say that Iupati has regressed and isn't as good as some hype him to be...they wouldn't be sad to see him go as he will be overpaid.

Front7vLOB

Reaction score
Meeker":1xj41uwe said:
I've read Niners fans say that Iupati has regressed and isn't as good as some hype him to be...they wouldn't be sad to see him go as he will be overpaid.
That's how I feel.

I don't think he has regressed per se, I just think he was always average in pass protection. He's made a living with his run blocking.

I think Iupati is expendable. He will get paid by some other team, and I don't doubt that they will receive a good return on their investment. The 49ers just can't afford it at this point.

Besides, think of all the compensatory picks the 49ers will have if Iupati and Crabtree walk. We'd probably get a 3rd and a 4th

Marvin49

Reaction score
The lineman they lost is C Jonathan Baldwin. They didn't really "lose" him per se as much as they have decided not to resign him. He's still a FA.

They have been grooming Daniel Kilgore (and recently extended him) for that spot and also drafted Marcus Martin in the 3rd round.

Staley, Iupati, and Davis will all be back tho Iupati in his final year.

Boone back as well but looking for a pay raise that he deserves. Is being paid like a backup right now.

For depth, they draded for Jonathan Martin, already have Joe Looney, and drafted both Martin and Brandon Thomas (who will essentially redshirt this year).

Niners are in pretty good shape up front.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Marvin49":2beib5n0 said:
Popeyejones":2beib5n0 said:
^^^^ Goodwin, not Baldwin. ;)

wow...did I just do that? LOL. thnx. Dunno what I was thinking.
You were thinking "Damn, I wish the 49ers could have signed Doug Baldwin" and just transposed a few letters. It's alright, we understand your jealousy.

:lol:

Front7vLOB

Reaction score
Marvin49":3vm1xqat said:
The lineman they lost is C Jonathan Baldwin. They didn't really "lose" him per se as much as they have decided not to resign him. He's still a FA.

They have been grooming Daniel Kilgore (and recently extended him) for that spot and also drafted Marcus Martin in the 3rd round.

Staley, Iupati, and Davis will all be back tho Iupati in his final year.

Boone back as well but looking for a pay raise that he deserves. Is being paid like a backup right now.

For depth, they draded for Jonathan Martin, already have Joe Looney, and drafted both Martin and Brandon Thomas (who will essentially redshirt this year).

Niners are in pretty good shape up front.
pretty redundant post seeing as how i said all of this only a couple posts before yours

Front7vLOB

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1tomxovr said:
Marvin49":1tomxovr said:
Popeyejones":1tomxovr said:
^^^^ Goodwin, not Baldwin. ;)

wow...did I just do that? LOL. thnx. Dunno what I was thinking.
You were thinking "Damn, I wish the 49ers could have signed Doug Baldwin" and just transposed a few letters. It's alright, we understand your jealousy.

:lol:
Jonathan Baldwin is a WR on the 49ers... that more likely caused the freudian slip than your theory