Colts DE Robert Mathis Suspended for Violating PED Policy

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. RATING: PG-13
  • Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 1m
    #Colts star pass-rusher Robert Mathis is suspended for the first 4 games of 2014 for violating NFL policy on performance enhancing substance

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 1m
    NFL suspended Colts' pass rusher Robert Mathis four games for violating policy on performance enhancing substances.

Big blow to Indy.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

• I do recall thinking it was strange that he turned into an absolute beast at age 32 and seemingly out of nowhere.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

• There's this though:

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 28s
    Backstory of Mathis’ positive test includes him taking a fertility drug to help his wife become pregnant. And she now is. Statement coming
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

• His official statement:

It is difficult for me to address the circumstances surrounding this suspension because they involve very personal medical information, but it is very important to me that my fans, particularly young people, understand what did and did not occur. Like many families, my wife and I faced fertility challenges, and I sought medical assistance. I specifically asked the doctor if the medication he prescribed for me would present a problem for NFL drug testing, and unfortunately, he incorrectly told me that it would not. I made the mistake of not calling the NFL or NFLPA to double check before I took the medication at the end of last season. The union has worked very closely with me to present all of the facts and medical records for consideration of discipline that does not include a suspension because of the unique facts of my case, but the Commissioner refused the request. I am deeply saddened that this situation will prevent me from contributing to my team for four games, and I regret that I didn't cross check what my doctor told me before I took the medication. I hope that my fans will understand the unique circumstances involved here and continue to know that I am a man of integrity who would never intentionally circumvent the performance enhancing substance policy agreed to by the NFL and my union. The incredible blessing of this very upsetting situation is that, after I took the medication very briefly at the end of last season, we learned that my wife is expecting a baby. We are thrilled that we will be welcoming a new member in several months, but I apologize to my teammates, coaches and Colts fans that I will not be able to contribute to my team for the first four weeks of the 2014 season. I will work extremely hard during that time to stay in top football shape and will be prepared to contribute immediately upon my return.
    20% off Karmaloop & 10% off PLNDR, rep code: DUCK20
    dontbelikethat
    NET Veteran

• DavidSeven wrote:I do recall thinking it was strange that he turned into an absolute beast at age 32 and seemingly out of nowhere.

His performance was enhanced alright.

20% off Karmaloop & 10% off PLNDR, rep code: DUCK20
    dontbelikethat
    NET Veteran

• Niner response (literally) to this news:

BUSTED!

And its not a NINER!
    Marvin49 wrote:Ok. I have to admit. That's messed up.

You win.
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

• So we aren't the only ones cheating with the PED's?
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

• Lol, def part of his pct. nice try tho.
    Coug_Hawk08
    NET Veteran

• DavidSeven wrote:There's this though:

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 28s
    Backstory of Mathis’ positive test includes him taking a fertility drug to help his wife become pregnant. And she now is. Statement coming

Definitely a more creative excuse than adderrall. I at least give him credit for that. :)
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

• Dude is still an idiot for taking the prescription without getting consent from the league or clarifying that it was a banned substance.

Mathis' agent said the punishment is "unjust and unfair." Yeah, if you live under rock. How many players have been busted on something like this, claimed ignorance and actually had their suspension reversed? Something like zero?

It is the player's responsibility to know what they are putting in their body, whether it is a banned substance or not.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

• I say screw it. Big deal. That is essentially what happened to Moffitt, didn't report it. Players are allowed to take Adderall with a prescription, I don't know about Fish Boost though.

Dude did ball out for an old guy. Oh well.
    "The life you lose may be your own" - Drunk dude at the bar
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!

• These guys know perfectly well that they should be reporting every script they get, period. Of course maybe there is more to the story.
    "The life you lose may be your own" - Drunk dude at the bar
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!

• I think it is silly that PEDs are even suspension worthy. Do we really want to see a version of pro or college ball where the guys aren't using PEDs? The prevalent use of PEDs in sports is part of what makes these guys freaky entertaining athletes who running faster, hitting harder and jumping higher than ever before.

Credit to Mathis for the creative excuse, but that sounds exactly like something you would take to stop the production of estrogen after coming off of a steroid cycle (though again, it doesn't matter to me if he's using steroids).
    kobebryant
    NET Veteran

• Mathis?

Well, um.
    Los Angeles Rams' fan who lives in San Diego.
    RedAlice
    NET Veteran

• BUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Good. Screw the Colts.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• The story sounds true until you hear that he has other kids and never had an issue with it before. That, and the fertility drug is commonly used by people that take steroids when they're through with their cycle to keep the juice from deteriorating too quickly.
    HAWKAMANIA
    NET Starter

• I believe Mathis in this case..The guy was always a Beast and it was him that made Freeney get the stats..When the Colts switched to the 3-4 he was allowed to move all over the line,this is also why he had good numbers ..It wasn't "suddenly" he just put up numbers...He's been all-pro multiple years.. Always been a real good player..I've been watching him since he came into the NFL..I wish the Hawks had him...
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• The NFL issued a statement in response to Mathis's claims. Here's part:

“The drug for which Mr. Mathis tested positive is not approved by the FDA for fertility in males and is a performance-enhancing drug that has been prohibited for years. Importantly, Mr. Mathis did not consult with the policy’s Independent Administrator, a physician jointly approved by the NFL and NFL Players Association. Nor did he consult with his team doctor, the team’s training staff, the NFLPA, the league office or the hotline established under the policy to give confidential information to players. Each of these sources would have warned against using this substance. A cornerstone of the program is that a player is responsible for what is in his body. Consistent application of the policy’s procedures is critical to the integrity of the program.”
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

• IndyHawk wrote:I believe Mathis in this case..The guy was always a Beast and it was him that made Freeney get the stats..When the Colts switched to the 3-4 he was allowed to move all over the line,this is also why he had good numbers ..It wasn't "suddenly" he just put up numbers...He's been all-pro multiple years.. Always been a real good player..I've been watching him since he came into the NFL..I wish the Hawks had him...

City Of Reign
    NET Rookie

• If it was just to help his wife have a kid, figuring he makes around $8-10M/yr, definitely was a million dollar baby he bit the bullet on. Hope the wife appreciates this later down the road when she is divorcing him.

Probably not. Ouch!
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

• Buahahahaha.

#wrekt
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• Not really buying his story. He says he asked the fertility doctor if the drug would cause problems with the NFL and was told it wouldn't, but his doctor is saying that he didn't even know Mathis played in the NFL. And a massive NFL player doesn't seem likely to need a testosterone boost and it just happens to be a drug that is commonly used at the end of a steroid cycle?

A guy like Mathis who has been in the league for years knows damn well he can't start taking a drug without checking it out first with the team physician and the NFL. There are too many holes in his story to be believable.
    TXHawk
    NET Rookie

• IndyHawk wrote:I believe Mathis in this case..The guy was always a Beast and it was him that made Freeney get the stats..When the Colts switched to the 3-4 he was allowed to move all over the line,this is also why he had good numbers ..It wasn't "suddenly" he just put up numbers...He's been all-pro multiple years.. Always been a real good player..I've been watching him since he came into the NFL..I wish the Hawks had him...

Ha ha ha no.

You believe that a multi-million dollar NFL player, with his career on the line would not consult anyone in the NFL or the Colts' organization before getting a non-FDA-approved drug that was prohibited in the NFL as a PED from some outside doctor?

What's the thought process behind this? "Hmm. This drug is not even approved by the FDA for use, and is actually a performance-enhancing drug that's been prohibited for years. The NFL, with its strict drug policies knows nothing about this. I could get suspended if it pops me positive on a drug test. But the doc said it was fine, so hey, I'm good, right?"
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• TXHawk wrote:his doctor is saying that he didn't even know Mathis played in the NFL

Ha, how is that even possible? Conversations with his Dr. and it never comes up that he's in the NFL? Or his profession in general? Whatever. Fishy story from both sides. :roll:
    So you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain. Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil?
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

• Seahawk Sailor wrote:
    IndyHawk wrote:I believe Mathis in this case..The guy was always a Beast and it was him that made Freeney get the stats..When the Colts switched to the 3-4 he was allowed to move all over the line,this is also why he had good numbers ..It wasn't "suddenly" he just put up numbers...He's been all-pro multiple years.. Always been a real good player..I've been watching him since he came into the NFL..I wish the Hawks had him...

Ha ha ha no.

You believe that a multi-million dollar NFL player, with his career on the line would not consult anyone in the NFL or the Colts' organization before getting a non-FDA-approved drug that was prohibited in the NFL as a PED from some outside doctor?

What's the thought process behind this? "Hmm. This drug is not even approved by the FDA for use, and is actually a performance-enhancing drug that's been prohibited for years. The NFL, with its strict drug policies knows nothing about this. I could get suspended if it pops me positive on a drug test. But the doc said it was fine, so hey, I'm good, right?"

Excellent points! Besides these players from the time they get drafted are told over and over and over again by the NFL that THEY are responsible for anything they put in their bodies. We can all point out silly and stupid parts of the NFL drug policy, which there are many, BUT, the players are well aware of the rules of the said policy period.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

• He's over 32,he's taking stuff to keep makin money. End of story.
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

• When a 32 year old OLB goes from averaging eight or nine sacks per year to suddenly notching 19.5 sacks in one season, you know something's up. Clomid is a female fertility drug that blocks estrogen. It's not approved for use in men; Mathis claims his wife has a medical issue that prevented her from taking it. If his wife was the one with the issue, no doctor would have prescribed it to an otherwise healthy husband for that purpose. Several athletes have been caught using Clomid as a performance enhancer, such as Cincinnati Reds pitcher Edinson Volquez. Clomid has been shown to rapidly increase the level of testosterone in the blood when taken by men, leading to a corresponding increase in energy and muscle mass. There are fewer dangerous side effects than with other forms of performance enhancers.
    hawknation2014
    NET Veteran

• hawknation2014 wrote:When a 32 year old OLB goes from averaging eight or nine sacks per year to suddenly notching 19.5 sacks in one season, you know something's up. Clomid is a female fertility drug that blocks estrogen. It's not approved for use in men; Mathis claims his wife has a medical issue that prevented her from taking it. If his wife was the one with the issue, no doctor would have prescribed it to an otherwise healthy husband for that purpose. Several athletes have been caught using Clomid as a performance enhancer, such as Cincinnati Reds pitcher Edinson Volquez. Clomid has been shown to rapidly increase the level of testosterone in the blood when taken by men, leading to a corresponding increase in energy and muscle mass. There are fewer dangerous side effects than with other forms of performance enhancers.

What if he is not "otherwise healthy"? What if his own fertility has been impeded by years of steroid use? Isn't that a known long term side affect? It would be ironic if he had to take the fertility drug / masking agent because of abuse he had already gotten away with.
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:13 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information