Michael Sam docuseries in the works

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. RATING: PG-13
Michael Sam docuseries in the works
Wed May 14, 2014 3:34 pm
  • http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-f ... ies-704189?

"Oprah Winfrey's OWN has ordered a docuseries centered on Michael Sam, the gay football player who was just drafted by the NFL's St. Louis Rams.

The series will follow the University of Missouri alum as he prepares to earn a spot on the Rams."

Opinions from the Rams fans we have around here?
    Holy Catfish! Touchdown Seahawks!
    A London Hawk
    NET Starter

Re: Michael Sam docuseries in the works
Wed May 14, 2014 4:24 pm
  • Of course this would happen.
    Coug_Hawk08
    NET Veteran

Wed May 14, 2014 4:40 pm
  • "An openly gay football player should not be treated any differently. We should focus on his work on the field not his sexual orientation."
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

Wed May 14, 2014 4:53 pm
  • Please be a huge distraction
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Wed May 14, 2014 4:58 pm
  • -The Glove- wrote:"An openly gay football player should not be treated any differently. We should focus on his work on the field not his sexual orientation."

This.
    Ziggyy108
    NET Starter

Wed May 14, 2014 4:59 pm
  • Throwdown wrote:Please be a huge distraction

I hope so.
    Ziggyy108
    NET Starter

Wed May 14, 2014 5:07 pm
  • I'm against anything that interferes with the team.

Per Nick Wagoner, Rams were not aware of this documentary when they drafted him and access to Rams Park will be extremely limited. Hopefully that is true.
    Los Angeles Rams' fan who lives in San Diego.
    RedAlice
    NET Veteran

Wed May 14, 2014 5:17 pm
  • I wonder if the series will continue if he gets cut.
    49ers webzone: Win or lose, i hope you injure Sherman. Like a serious career ending injury. I don't want him to get paid.
    49ers webzone: noise should not be the overwhelming reason a team is favored. they need to spray noise-damping foam onto the ceiling of that place.
    BlueTalon
    * NET Curmudgeon *
    * NET Curmudgeon *

Wed May 14, 2014 5:30 pm
  • BlueTalon wrote:I wonder if the series will continue if he gets cut.

you mean when?
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Wed May 14, 2014 9:10 pm
  • From a human interest story viewpoint, it's a great idea. From a football standpoint, it's a terrible idea. Bad move if football is really your focus, Sam.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

Wed May 14, 2014 9:51 pm
  • volsunghawk wrote:From a human interest story viewpoint, it's a great idea. From a football standpoint, it's a terrible idea. Bad move if football is really your focus, Sam.

He'll probably get more money for being starred in the documentary series than his rookie contract. Or at least double his money. It's all about the Benjamins, baby.
    nategreat
    NET Veteran

Thu May 15, 2014 4:43 am
  • Very tired of this story. It's all they are talking about on Sirius NFL radio. You would think that Jesus Christ came back and suited up for the Lambs.
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

Thu May 15, 2014 5:14 am
  • I don't think there's any way the Rams will be able to cut this guy. The media is pushing him as the gay version of Jackie Robinson and you don't dare cut Jackie Robinson. They'll be stuck with an undersized unathletic DE on their roster who will be a constant distraction.
    TXHawk
    NET Rookie

Thu May 15, 2014 5:37 am
  • Tin foil hat on: I think Roger asked Fisher to draft Sam. Fisher has always been Roger's handboy, every year when the NFL wants a stupid rule explained to the media it is Fisher they trot out, no matter how much his team was an offender of that new rule the previous year. And Fisher ALWAYS toes the company line when he explains those rules.

So Roger asks the Rams to use a late compensatory on Sam, PR problem over. Fisher then goes on to make sure reporters know Sam is not above being cut. Fisher has no plans of having this PR nightmare follow him all year.

Does Sam know his chances of making that team are slim and none? Hell yeah, just like he knew the PR implications of lip smacking his BF on national TV. At the combine, Sam looked very uncomfortable with all the attention, but in the meantime, he has grown quite comfortable with the attention. He has made the big leap from pre-empting the media on his story to being the guy who runs with the story. He has some good advisors, no doubt.

This is about money and exposure (which could mean future money). He stands to make a lot more from TV than he does with the Rams, who I think have no intention of keeping him. Oprah is going to make bank off of this, and the Rams should be very nervous. The slightest mis step by a single player or coach who isn't politically correct enough COULD result in a story that makes the league look like a bunch of homophobic asshats.

That favor that Fisher did for Roger could turn out very bad. I really doubt it gets a completely positive spin form Oprah and co.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Thu May 15, 2014 9:05 am
  • Hopefully the Rams are also awarded the HBO series
    Wazzu Sucks, Oregon Swallows!!!!
    ludakrishna
    NET Veteran

Thu May 15, 2014 10:50 am
  • Thank God it isn't us. No matter what is done it's going to be some level of distraction.
    43-8...it's all about that action boss....
    next man up.
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran

Thu May 15, 2014 12:24 pm
  • Something like the Gilette Pressure Points series might have made sense, it would have at least been less intrusive (I'd imagine) than what's being planned now.

I might be wrong, but I can't see this helping Sam in the locker room.
    A London Hawk
    NET Starter

Thu May 15, 2014 1:03 pm
  • Michael Sam is all about one thing: his 15 minutes.

Now he's cashing in, naturally because he knows he isn't an NFL player.
    SUPERBOWL!!
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

Thu May 15, 2014 1:07 pm
  • TXHawk wrote:I don't think there's any way the Rams will be able to cut this guy. The media is pushing him as the gay version of Jackie Robinson and you don't dare cut Jackie Robinson. They'll be stuck with an undersized unathletic DE on their roster who will be a constant distraction.

From a Hawk standpoint, I would love it, he'd be wasting a roster spot.

From a football fan standpoint, I'd be so annoyed. It'll be breaking news when he gets his first tackle. Breaking news when he gets his first sack. Breaking news when he knocks down a pass for the first time. It'll be an absolute circus, and if you think it's bad now/before the draft with how much coverage he got, just wait if he makes the team...

These networks have talked about Michael Sam more in the past few months than they have the Hawks the past few years.
    SUPERBOWL!!
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

Thu May 15, 2014 1:17 pm
  • Danny O'Neill had great points about this on Brock and Danny today, IMO.
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???

2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran

Thu May 15, 2014 2:27 pm
  • I'm on board with anything that will help us get to a point where we no longer have to make announcements about our sexuality, where people can just be accepted as who they are without having to be abused or discriminated against or even just thought of as bad or wrong just because they're different from you.

Short term, this might make things difficult for Michael or the Rams or the NFL (or Dom ;) ) but long term it's a big deal and a good first step to getting us to a place we should already be.
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Thu May 15, 2014 2:55 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:I'm on board with anything that will help us get to a point where we no longer have to make announcements about our sexuality, where people can just be accepted as who they are without having to be abused or discriminated against or even just thought of as bad or wrong just because they're different from you.

Short term, this might make things difficult for Michael or the Rams or the NFL (or Dom ;) ) but long term it's a big deal and a good first step to getting us to a place we should already be.

Good post.
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???

2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran

Thu May 15, 2014 4:55 pm
  • Hawkfan77 wrote:Michael Sam is all about one thing: his 15 minutes.

Now he's cashing in, naturally because he knows he isn't an NFL player.

yep...might not even make the team...
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions 2014.02.02 Seahawks 43 Broncos 8
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

Thu May 15, 2014 5:10 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:I'm on board with anything that will help us get to a point where we no longer have to make announcements about our sexuality, where people can just be accepted as who they are without having to be abused or discriminated against or even just thought of as bad or wrong just because they're different from you.

I got no problem with whatever the hell he does or doesn't do. I am just tired of being forced fed this story. When I'm out here on the boat I listen to my Sirius NFL radio. It's all they are talking about. Seriously how many ways can we beat the same story to death? I had to turn it off today because it was just too much.

It's why I hate the media at times. They ruin something I enjoy. I am liberal, I understand society, and understand how wonderfully diverse or culture is. To me the entire Micheal Sam story isn't a story. He's gay. Who cares?
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

Thu May 15, 2014 5:53 pm
  • His 2 agents and his publicist have all signed producers deals. One has to wonder whose interests they are looking after.

The Michael Sam story itself is making the news over here, which I didn't expect. I pulled this link off the site of one of our national daily newspapers.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 65426.html
    A London Hawk
    NET Starter

Thu May 15, 2014 6:50 pm
  • From what I heard earlier, the OWN folks will not be taping anything involving the Rams or any of the players during this docuseries. Sam's story has now gone from a tale of over coming fear into a tale of capitalizing on one's brief encounter with notoriety.

Get it while you can, but puts into doubt the claim of wanting to just be known as a football player. The story goes away when everyone thinks they have flown the flag of understanding long enough for others to notice, then back to business as usual.
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    Wilson will sign for $18M+ (3/4/2014)
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

Thu May 15, 2014 6:51 pm
  • So much for wanting to be treated like any other athlete. I am not looking forward to all the outrage their may be if he gets cut.
    JZ#1
    NET Rookie

Thu May 15, 2014 10:23 pm
  • volsunghawk wrote:From a human interest story viewpoint, it's a great idea. From a football standpoint, it's a terrible idea. Bad move if football is really your focus, Sam.

Plus, he's trying to make some quick guaranteed money.
    nepahawk
    NET Starter

Thu May 15, 2014 10:52 pm
  • JZ#1 wrote:So much for wanting to be treated like any other athlete. I am not looking forward to all the outrage their may be if he gets cut.

I am.

I found this bit of information on ClanRam. Unfortunately, they don't allow links there, so I couldn't track this to its source, but here it is:
    Michael Sam Reality ShowMichael Sam is getting the Lindsay Lohan treatment ... as in, the openly gay football player is getting his own reality show on Oprah's TV network ... reps at OWN confirm.

The show -- produced by the same people who did Lindsay's show -- will chronicle Sam's journey into the NFL ... and we're told Sam has already been taping the show for weeks.

In fact, we're told Oprah's crew was in the room when Sam learned he had been drafted by the St. Louis Rams ... and clearly knew his big celebratory kiss with his BF would make for great reality television.

Now I know why the cameras kept rolling.
    49ers webzone: Win or lose, i hope you injure Sherman. Like a serious career ending injury. I don't want him to get paid.
    49ers webzone: noise should not be the overwhelming reason a team is favored. they need to spray noise-damping foam onto the ceiling of that place.
    BlueTalon
    * NET Curmudgeon *
    * NET Curmudgeon *

Fri May 16, 2014 5:28 pm
  • Apparently the whole thing has now been put on hold. Common sense prevails?
    A London Hawk
    NET Starter

Fri May 16, 2014 5:53 pm
  • I think so. Whatever had been prevailing before certainly wasn't common sense.
    BlueTalon
    * NET Curmudgeon *
    * NET Curmudgeon *

Fri May 16, 2014 6:17 pm
  • razgriz737 wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:I'm on board with anything that will help us get to a point where we no longer have to make announcements about our sexuality, where people can just be accepted as who they are without having to be abused or discriminated against or even just thought of as bad or wrong just because they're different from you.

Good post.

Nobody put a gun to his head and made him announce his sexuality in the first place. He is an attentions seeking whore. :177692:
    seahawk12thman
    NET Starter

Fri May 16, 2014 6:25 pm
  • A London Hawk wrote:Apparently the whole thing has now been put on hold. Common sense prevails?

It sounds like it was canceled entirely. Rams and NFL (Roger) had no idea that Sam made the deal prior to even being drafted.
    Eh... Whatever...
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!

Fri May 16, 2014 10:03 pm
  • A London Hawk wrote:Apparently the whole thing has now been put on hold. Common sense prevails?

Yes! It is on hold. Reason prevails. Good on Fisher. So happy about this.

You are drafted MSam: and it's all about football now. Go play some ball, or don't.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... w-on-hold/

A planned reality TV show centered on Rams rookie defensive end Michael Sam has been placed on hold.

The Oprah Winfrey Network announced that it is postponing the Sam reality show, after Sam faced criticism from those who said his decision to become the focal point of a TV show was incompatible with his claims that he’s totally focused on football.
    Los Angeles Rams' fan who lives in San Diego.
    RedAlice
    NET Veteran

Sat May 17, 2014 12:51 am
  • RedAlice wrote:Yes! It is on hold. Reason prevails. Good on Fisher. So happy about this.

You are drafted MSam: and it's all about football now. Go play some ball, or don't.

A planned reality TV show centered on Rams rookie defensive end Michael Sam has been placed on hold.

The Oprah Winfrey Network announced that it is postponing the Sam reality show, after Sam faced criticism from those who said his decision to become the focal point of a TV show was incompatible with his claims that he’s totally focused on football.

Bah, to hell with reason! I care about my personal entertainment more than the well-being of a division rival team... ;)
    Rams bet status: honored. Bradford still sucks.
    RedAlice is right.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Sat May 17, 2014 2:20 pm
  • seahawk12thman wrote:
    razgriz737 wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:I'm on board with anything that will help us get to a point where we no longer have to make announcements about our sexuality, where people can just be accepted as who they are without having to be abused or discriminated against or even just thought of as bad or wrong just because they're different from you.

Good post.

Nobody put a gun to his head and made him announce his sexuality in the first place. He is an attentions seeking whore. :177692:

When somebody's been hiding a very major part of them from the world for their entire life it's a pretty big deal when you decide not to hide anymore. I know hetero people don't really get it. Hell, I don't even really get it. But I'm trying and learning to understand.
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Sun May 18, 2014 8:00 pm
  • This could have been great TV if Richie Incognito was still with the Rams.
    253hawk
    NET Veteran

Mon May 19, 2014 2:04 am
  • 253hawk wrote:This could have been great TV if Richie Incognito was still with the Rams.

Oh my... now THAT would have been epic Television. It would make Jersey Shore look like Romper Room.
    Eh... Whatever...
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!

Mon May 19, 2014 9:24 am
  • NFLN this morning is reporting that following meetings with OWN, and both the Rams and the NFL, this has been put on hold indefinitely.

Supposedly to enable Sam to focus on football.
    Smart move IMHO.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Mon May 19, 2014 9:44 am
  • RedAlice wrote:
    A London Hawk wrote:Apparently the whole thing has now been put on hold. Common sense prevails?

Yes! It is on hold. Reason prevails. Good on Fisher. So happy about this.

Darn it! (Not really he should just concentrate on football and try and make the team before going into "other areas". Be a football player first it will make it easier for everybody to either accept or even forget about his sexual orientation).
    43-8...it's all about that action boss....
    next man up.
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:46 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information