Peterson to get 60m+ from Cards?

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. RATING: PG-13
Peterson to get 60m+ from Cards?
Tue May 13, 2014 7:47 am

Re: Peterson to get 60m+ from Cards?
Tue May 13, 2014 8:53 am
  • He is the most over rate defensive back in the league. Gets burned repeatedly. Ton of talent, not nearly as much skill.
    JZ#1
    NET Rookie

Tue May 13, 2014 8:55 am
  • I don't see giving him even 50 million let alone 60M. I see him as just below Revis and Sherman too risky and gets burned too much. Though he's an elite PR and that's worth something.
    Last edited by MizzouHawkGal on Tue May 13, 2014 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
    43-8...it's all about that action boss....
    next man up.
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran

Tue May 13, 2014 8:56 am
  • Coug_Hawk08 wrote:http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000349928/article/patrick-peterson-worth-more-than-richard-sherman

Super expensive punt returner.

Of course sherman fires back, from his twitter :

Want what I got? Get the stats I got! Least targeted. #opinionvsfact pic.twitter.com/f2juIjKm66

And for all the folks who were complaining about us giving Sherman the extension when we did instead of waiting another year and then playing franchise tag with him, refer to the following news:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ough-2019/

Haden, who has been with the Browns since they chose him with the seventh overall pick in the 2010 NFL draft, has agreed to a new contract that will keep him in Cleveland through the 2019 season. A league source tells PFT that the deal includes a $14 million signing bonus, $22 million fully guaranteed at signing and another $23 million guaranteed for injury. The signing bonus, the full guarantee and the amount guaranteed for injury all surpass the deal that Richard Sherman just signed with Seattle.

If the Seahawks had waited to pay Sherman after Haden and Peterson were given new deals, the price would have been significantly more than what we paid. Now, we've got a guy who is not only well taken care of by the team, but also a guy who will still play with a chip on his shoulder due to the contracts Haden and Peterson receive.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

Tue May 13, 2014 8:58 am
  • volsunghawk wrote:
    Coug_Hawk08 wrote:http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000349928/article/patrick-peterson-worth-more-than-richard-sherman

Super expensive punt returner.

Of course sherman fires back, from his twitter :

Want what I got? Get the stats I got! Least targeted. #opinionvsfact pic.twitter.com/f2juIjKm66

And for all the folks who were complaining about us giving Sherman the extension when we did instead of waiting another year and then playing franchise tag with him, refer to the following news:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ough-2019/

Haden, who has been with the Browns since they chose him with the seventh overall pick in the 2010 NFL draft, has agreed to a new contract that will keep him in Cleveland through the 2019 season. A league source tells PFT that the deal includes a $14 million signing bonus, $22 million fully guaranteed at signing and another $23 million guaranteed for injury. The signing bonus, the full guarantee and the amount guaranteed for injury all surpass the deal that Richard Sherman just signed with Seattle.

If the Seahawks had waited to pay Sherman after Haden and Peterson were given new deals, the price would have been significantly more than what we paid. Now, we've got a guy who is not only well taken care of by the team, but also a guy who will still play with a chip on his shoulder due to the contracts Haden and Peterson receive.

It only took a week to make both Earl and Sherman bargains! Imagine when the cap goes up?
    43-8...it's all about that action boss....
    next man up.
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran

Tue May 13, 2014 9:25 am
  • He's a good corner, but he does have these lapses in coverage, and it's not like they're him expecting safety help and not getting it or anything.

Crabtree just abuses him every time out in particular.
    "If given the opportunity without fear of incarceration, I would honestly beat the living **** out of Jerry Rice."

--Internet tough guy HawkWow being a MAN on the internet
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest

Tue May 13, 2014 9:31 am
  • He is a way better ST than CB. He is decent but we are spoiled.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Tue May 13, 2014 9:51 am
  • The problem is, you are paid for how important you are to your team and not really about the market. If AZ sees him as 60M important to their success, they will do it and he would be worth it to them. Personally I do not see that as Sherman is just better but I do disagree with Sherman for attacking him...especially since these contracts can only help him later. I would like to know what happened to the rule he put in his article on SI: "No one has ever made himself great by showing how small someone else is." I know it was directed towards the Crabtree incident but it is still relevant for all situations.
    Fanatics
    NET Rookie

Tue May 13, 2014 10:26 am
  • Sherman isn't attacking him. He is, however, responding to Peterson's implication that Peterson is better than Sherman with statistical evidence, as is his M.O.

If anything, Peterson tried to make Sherman smaller in his initial comments. However, this is just gamesmanship between elite CBs (well, actually, one elite CB in Sherman and one good CB in Peterson), so I expect no less from either guy and have no hard feelings toward Peterson.
    "If given the opportunity without fear of incarceration, I would honestly beat the living **** out of Jerry Rice."

Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Tue May 13, 2014 11:01 am
  • Smelly McUgly wrote:If anything, Peterson tried to make Sherman smaller in his initial comments.

I don't know if I would take this as him trying to make Sherman smaller as every pro athlete thinks they are better. He was responding to a question and Sherman seems to be reacting directly to the answer he gave. Everyone knows Sherman is better and I just thought the reply was not necessary. But I can see how you can take it the other way.

The Cardinals cornerback told reporters Monday that he's worth even more than what the Seahawks paid their All-Pro defender and hopes that Arizona realizes that, too, per ESPN.com.

"We'll see," Peterson said. "Got to ask the Cardinals. I mean, I think I am but at the end of the day both sides have to agree to terms and we'll see what those terms are and hopefully sooner than later."
    Fanatics
    NET Rookie

Tue May 13, 2014 11:12 am
  • Also a fair point on your part that he was directly asked about Sherman by the reporters. That question is designed to get this sort of out-of-context blurb.

Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Tue May 13, 2014 11:54 am
  • JZ#1 wrote:He is the most over rate defensive back in the league. Gets burned repeatedly. Ton of talent, not nearly as much skill.

I agree, sir
    "it'd be a newborn deer" - pehawk
    Hawk Strap
    * Handsome *

Tue May 13, 2014 12:08 pm
  • What's funny about Peterson is I feel every game I've watched with him it, the announcers rave how good he is gonna be one day. It kind of is implied that one day, Peterson will be better than Sherman.

Yet the fact that they were drafted in the same draft class and Sherman is the best CB already goes unnoticed.

I don't think Peterson is elite. He isn't a player I would pay to be one of the highest paid on the team. He's not a cornerstone player IMO. I really hope the Cards give him every bit of 60 mil. I want them to tie huge money up to a really good player but not a great player.
    amill87
    NET Veteran

Tue May 13, 2014 12:44 pm
  • I hope they're stupid enough to pay him that, and Haden's deal certainly helps things a bit, but it wouldn't surprise me to see him go after this year.

Cardinals are turning into a really well run organisation and they just had a great looking draft. I think they know his real value to their team is closer to half that figure. Or maybe they give him a deal with a bunch of incentives?
    SomersetHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue May 13, 2014 1:18 pm
  • Since I brought up how I didn't like Sherman's bash of Peterson, I am glad to see him come out and offer his congratulating tweet to Haden. That is how you do it, to be the best you have to act like the best.
    Fanatics
    NET Rookie

Tue May 13, 2014 1:51 pm
  • Good news for us. Make no mistake, that chip on the shoulder isn't going anywhere.
    HunnyBadger
    NET Starter

Tue May 13, 2014 2:27 pm
  • SomersetHawk wrote:I hope they're stupid enough to pay him that, and Haden's deal certainly helps things a bit, but it wouldn't surprise me to see him go after this year.

Cardinals are turning into a really well run organisation and they just had a great looking draft. I think they know his real value to their team is closer to half that figure. Or maybe they give him a deal with a bunch of incentives?

Pay the man more I hope. It is not about our CB getting more or less, it is more the fact that they are gonna not be able to pay more of their good players later. A good draft may elicit good to great players, but then again. I hope they push the cap to the upper edge....that may hurt them in the future. :mrgreen:

:thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers:
    Cats will rule the world...just ask my cat.
    Gollum had a ring...Bilbo took it...Frodo had it...Gollum got it back.
    Gollum never had OUR ring.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Tue May 13, 2014 6:45 pm
    hawknation2014
    NET Veteran

Wed May 14, 2014 7:24 am
  • hawknation2014 wrote:Image

I also liked the stat from Willie stating:

Sherm intercepts 1 out of every 8 times he is thrown at.

Peterson intercepts 1 out of every 29 times he is thrown at. Ouchies!!
    Welcome to Mr. Wilson's Magic Show
    Strong safety Kam Chancellor, a 6-foot-3, 232-pound rhinoceros in cleats.....REED ALBERGOTTI
    Put them together, and this long-limbed, fleet-a-foot foursome forms a formidable force. ....Clare Farnsworth referencing the "Legion of Boom"
    oregonhawkfan
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

Wed May 14, 2014 7:54 am
  • Dude still has 2 more years on his contract.
    MastrMeatWad
    NET Bench Warmer

Wed May 14, 2014 8:13 am
  • Peterson has ridiculous talent and is an elite athlete, but he isn't an elite CB...I don't get how people can look past his mediocre play on the field and still only see that top 10 freak athlete.

I would rather have Maxwell than Peterson. I'm so sick of people either comparing Peterson to Sherm or even saying he's better
    SUPERBOWL!!
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

Wed May 14, 2014 2:18 pm
  • LOL, I hope he get every bit of that 60M and more.

That dude sucks as a corner back.

Go Hawks.
    SouthSoundHawk
    NET Veteran

It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:32 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information