Justin Blackmon done in Jax?????

OP
OP
Z

Ziggyy108

Reaction score
They also nabbed 2 receivers in the second

We should have the full 4 comp picks next year, and JS/PC will most likely move back at least once next year so we have some ammo

Hook us up Gus!

Jville

Reaction score
Ziggyy108":wog5vaw1 said:
They also nabbed 2 receivers in the second

We should have the full 4 comp picks next year, and JS/PC will most likely move back at least once next year so we have some ammo

Hook us up Gus!

Bradley told the Florida Times-Union that he was melancholy about the situation.

"I feel at times there's probably a little emptiness," Bradley said. "There are some unknowns there and you don't know how it's working. You don't want to shut it off. I was hoping it would be better than where it is going. We haven't heard much and it doesn't sound like it's going in the right direction. Like Dave said, we can't count on him."

Happy

Reaction score
I think Blackmon is probably done playing pro football. And that's likely the least of his concerns right now.

HawkWow

Reaction score
^ Totally agree. There's been too many infractions to believe this is something Blackmon is just going to turn off or grow out of. I genuinely feel bad for the kid as he appears to be a great young man despite his battle with the bottle. I love his talent but wouldn't want to gamble more than a 6th to find out if he will pull it together. In any event, I wish him well going forward.

mikeak

Reaction score
If the NFL adopts a rule that Pot use will be based on state laws of the team then we will see Blackmon back and either playing for the Broncos or Seahawks...

HawkWow

Reaction score
mikeak":15p3wzjm said:
If the NFL adopts a rule that Pot use will be based on state laws of the team then we will see Blackmon back and either playing for the Broncos or Seahawks...

Unless I'm mistaken, Mike..I think his problem is with alcohol (dating back to high school). But if your point is he could substitute pot for alcohol, I suppose that's a possibility, though I have read no case studies or have any knowledge if that is a feasibility.

I was successful in beating a bad gambling habit by playing the stock market but that's not a very good example, is it? ; )

Happy

Reaction score
It's an ominous sign that's he's having this much trouble with it this early in his life. The odds are against him I'm afraid.

mikeak

Reaction score
HawkWow":2jfcej9t said:
mikeak":2jfcej9t said:

Unless I'm mistaken, Mike..I think his problem is with alcohol (dating back to high school). But if your point is he could substitute pot for alcohol, I suppose that's a possibility, though I have read no case studies or have any knowledge if that is a feasibility.

I was successful in beating a bad gambling habit by playing the stock market but that's not a very good example, is it? ; )

His legal troubles are for alcohol but the illegal substance suspensions do not come from alcohol as they are not illegal substances by the NFL. He must have taken something else that triggered the suspensions. Also - yes I do believe that for most people with addictions one can often replace another

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
Ziggyy108":18t4opkx said:
http://members.jacksonville.com/opinion/blog/400642/hays-carlyon/2014-05-09/jaguars-gm-dave-caldwell-and-coach-gus-bradley-strongly

Man I know he's crazy but I would love for the Hawks to stay on top of this situation. He can't be cut or traded until he is reinstated but I would love his next home to be in Seattle.
That makes one of us. Blackmon is six tons of bad news, has significant addiction issues, and his rehab is purportedly not going well. There is absolutely no place for someone like that in this program.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
This guy is an alcoholic and needs badly to get properly rehabbed. I feel for him because he's sick, but even recently I recall reading that he was still denying that he had a drinking issue, which does not bode well.

I don't want him in Seattle because he doesn't need a change of scenery, he needs help.

HawkWow

Reaction score
mikeak":1xr9v4fa said:
HawkWow":1xr9v4fa said:
mikeak":1xr9v4fa said:

His legal troubles are for alcohol but the illegal substance suspensions do not come from alcohol as they are not illegal substances by the NFL. He must have taken something else that triggered the suspensions. Also - yes I do believe that for most people with addictions one can often replace another

Then I stand corrected. I didn't realize the suspension was actually for drugs, peds, etc. I think he's had like 4 DUIs and that's what I thought got him the ax. I don't argue addictions can be replaced with other addictions. But that's not a very good game plan, either. The fact he appears to be in denial suggests he will likely never play a down again. That is very sad.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
If you go back and look at stories about mental hospitals back in the mid 1800s and even early 1900s, you see some truly horrific things that people did to treat them, and you see some very awful ways people were treated - as well as how they were expected to deal with their conditions.

How is this relevant?

Just like each of these generations was fairly blind to what we now see as almost barbaric treatment - I think that future generations are going to look back at how we treated and dealt with addiction and addicts, and almost look at us in the same light as those crazy people that bolted mentally ill people to chairs.

I could be wrong, but there are some horrible paths that some of these kids have to tread to get where they are, and there are bad habits of self medication that turn into something worse. But I don't think people give up million dollar lives to toss everything away "because they make bad choices". I think like all addictions, some people get chewed up by them.

I understand team owners want/need their players to be clean in order to perform. And I understand that massive amount of money and enabling probably doesn't help. But there is probably a middle ground where at least some of these kids can avoid having to throw everything away.

Either way, it sucks and I feel for all involved.

Latest posts