49ers draft yet another running back

Sherminator

Reaction score
hieroglyphics":1q57bw5d said:
How many does one team need?

Gore is getting older, LMJ is going to be used as a trade tool, Hunter is coming off surgery, Lattimore is coming off surgery. I would say solid pick, this guy is a bigger Gore (we'll see how close they get)

I don't see why he doesn't do well behind that offensive line. Solid pick

Fanatics

Reaction score
Sherminator":mk1u0mix said:
hieroglyphics":mk1u0mix said:

Gore is getting older, LMJ is going to be used as a trade tool, Hunter is coming off surgery, Lattimore is coming off surgery. I would say solid pick, this guy is a bigger Gore (we'll see how close they get)

Solid Pick yes but necessary? It makes no sense for that team to continue to load up at RB like that.

Sherminator

Reaction score
Fanatics":2pdcyoaj said:
Sherminator":2pdcyoaj said:
hieroglyphics":2pdcyoaj said:

Solid Pick yes but necessary? It makes no sense for that team to continue to load up at RB like that.

Gore is 33 (i think?)

Right now his backup is between two guys coming off major surgeries.
How was this not a need lol

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
They were going to need a workhorse. Gore is in his last season and LMJ is potentially out of there this year.

I did think Lattimore would get the touches this season, I suppose they could platoon Hyde and Lattimore, but that does seem a little wasteful.

Eh.. whatever, Harbafreak doesn't like playing Rookies, this could be the back of 2016.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
We drafted Ware and Michael last season despite having Lynch and Turbin. It's good competition and depth.

chris98251

Reaction score
He has Lynch style running and is big, wide stance and lowers his shoulder into contact. The 49ers are looking more and more like if we can't beat them join them as far as their approach.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Byner and Mack = Lattimore and Hyde = big trouble in the NFCW.

We better hope to hell we didn't miss on Michael.

Vetamur

Reaction score
Sherminator":14csjgla said:
Fanatics":14csjgla said:
Sherminator":14csjgla said:
hieroglyphics":14csjgla said:

Gore is 33 (i think?)

Gore will be 31 in 3 days.

Front7vLOB

Reaction score
Vetamur":2bs4l7y4 said:
Sherminator":2bs4l7y4 said:
Fanatics":2bs4l7y4 said:
Sherminator":2bs4l7y4 said:

Gore is 33 (i think?)

Gore will be 31 in 3 days.
Hunter has been off surgery to. That was 2 seasons ago when Hunter got injured. He should be 100%. However, Hunter is entering the final year of his deal. He will get a lot of looks from teams next offseason.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
The 9ers followed the same draft forumula they did last year: use the 1st round pick to fill an immediate need, use lower round picks (and FA) to fill other needs with vets (who the 9ers really prefer, for better or for worse; see Boldin for the former and Moss or Edwards for the latter), and use the rest of the picks to fill needs that are one to three years out.

For this last group, they draft redshirt players as they can extract extra value from them and still get them playing for four years under rookie deals by using the NFI (they just took three of these guys, and took two last year), and BPAs that have slipped through the crack at positions that will be a need, allowing them to test-drive these guys and "hide" the really good one's on the bench in order to sign them to what after-the-fact are very below-market extensions (e.g. this is what they did with Bowman, Boone, and Brooks, and have just done again with Kilgore and Brock; the opposite side of the equation for this is someone like LaMichael James, who after getting to see him for a few years they now knw they're not high on and won't be extending).

This is all to say that Carlos Hyde actually makes perfect sense for the 9ers strategy.* They don't need him this year, but Gore, Hunter and likely James will all probably be gone after this year, meaning by next season their run-first team could have ended up entirely dependent on the reconstructed knees of Marcus Lattimore. Hyde will likely end up filling Dixon's role in the first year, and by the time they need him after this year, they'll know if he fills the need or they need to go back and find someone else.

Also worth saying that I think it's kind of weird for Hawks fans of all people to question this second round pick, given that as a group you guys seem to adore Christine Michael (also a second round pick), and his role for the years that he's under contract is MUUUUUUCH less clear given Lynch's age and Turbin's remaining years on contract when they drafted him.

*We can of course debate if it's a GOOD strategy, although personally I think it's a great one and the draft prognistactors are catching on and starting to agree (e.g. Kiper giving the 9ers the best draft grade in the NFL, although who knows if that ends up being accurate or not; the point being that the 9ers are buying themselves time to react accordingly if it's not accurate, and setting themselves up for easy transitions if it is). If anything, as a fan who will continue to be a fan long term no matter what, the 9ers have come up just barely short for three years in a row now, and I'm ecstatic to have a GM who isn't over-reacting to that (when you're a play away from the Super Bowl on two ocassions and a play away from winning it on the third it's probably hard to keep a level head and incorporate long term thinking into your planning, but that's what they're doing and should be doing IMO).

Marvin49

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2asm1bha said:
The 9ers followed the same draft forumula they did last year: use the 1st round pick to fill an immediate need, use lower round picks (and FA) to fill other needs with vets (who the 9ers really prefer, for better or for worse; see Boldin for the former and Moss or Edwards for the latter), and use the rest of the picks to fill needs that are one to three years out.

For this last group, they draft redshirt players as they can extract extra value from them and still get them playing for four years under rookie deals by using the NFI (they just took three of these guys, and took two last year), and BPAs that have slipped through the crack at positions that will be a need, allowing them to test-drive these guys and "hide" the really good one's on the bench in order to sign them to what after-the-fact are very below-market extensions (e.g. this is what they did with Bowman, Boone, and Brooks, and have just done again with Kilgore and Brock; the opposite side of the equation for this is someone like LaMichael James, who after getting to see him for a few years they now knw they're not high on and won't be extending).

This is all to say that Carlos Hyde actually makes perfect sense for the 9ers strategy.* They don't need him this year, but Gore, Hunter and likely James will all probably be gone after this year, meaning by next season their run-first team could have ended up entirely dependent on the reconstructed knees of Marcus Lattimore. Hyde will likely end up filling Dixon's role in the first year, and by the time they need him after this year, they'll know if he fills the need or they need to go back and find someone else.

Also worth saying that I think it's kind of weird for Hawks fans of all people to question this second round pick, given that as a group you guys seem to adore Christine Michael (also a second round pick), and his role for the years that he's under contract is MUUUUUUCH less clear given Lynch's age and Turbin's remaining years on contract when they drafted him.

*We can of course debate if it's a GOOD strategy, although personally I think it's a great one and the draft prognistactors are catching on and starting to agree (e.g. Kiper giving the 9ers the best draft grade in the NFL, although who knows if that ends up being accurate or not; the point being that the 9ers are buying themselves time to react accordingly if it's not accurate, and setting themselves up for easy transitions if it is). If anything, as a fan who will continue to be a fan long term no matter what, the 9ers have come up just barely short for three years in a row now, and I'm ecstatic to have a GM who isn't over-reacting to that (when you're a play away from the Super Bowl on two ocassions and a play away from winning it on the third it's probably hard to keep a level head and incorporate long term thinking into your planning, but that's what they're doing and should be doing IMO).

Agree on all counts....although I think they'll find a way to keep Hunter. Its not like he's going to get big money offers elsewhere. Market is rough on RBs these days.

I did find it amusing when I read one draft review that said something to the effect of "After getting only one starter in the last two drafts the 49ers needed to do better".

That's why I don't like draft reviews. They don't have a clue what they are talking about. 2012 has largely been a bust of a draft, but 2013? Yes...1 starter so far, but that's because they didn't have any starting positions up for competition. What other positions needed an immediate upgrade that a draft pick would fill? Its not because the players sucked. LOL. 1 Starter who made Pro Bowl as an alternate, 3 redshirts, a TE that played ALOT, a promising WR who was injured....etc, etc.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^ Good points, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if Hunter is resigned on the cheap or James is still around (which might be harder; they carried 5 RBs last year and I can't see them carrying 6 with Gore, Miller, Hunter, James, Lattimore and Hyde). They could also cut Hunter in favor of James this year, which might not be a terrible move from a contract perspective and depending on what's happening with return men (I say this while really liking Hunter, despite the fact that unlike James he doesn't offer anything on ST).

They also remain high on Hampton, but he probably offers more of the same in a way Hunter or James don't.

By next offseason Lattimore, Hyde, Miller, Millard + 1 is likely though, assuming Lattimore can show enough to still be in the mix.

The wildcard of course, which they'll never do, is moving on from Gore before Week 1. Depending on how Lattimore and/or Hyde perform with some sadness I do however expect him to get phased out as the season progresses.

(thanks for the draft clips upload on the webzone, btw. I wasn't logged in when I watched it so I didn't TY, but TY :) ).

Marvin49

Reaction score
Popeyejones":gsyd10jc said:
^^^ Good points, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if Hunter is resigned on the cheap or James is still around (which might be harder; they carried 5 RBs last year and I can't see them carrying 6 with Gore, Miller, Hunter, James, Lattimore and Hyde). They could also cut Hunter in favor of James this year, which might not be a terrible move from a contract perspective and depending on what's happening with return men (I say this while really liking Hunter, despite the fact that unlike James he doesn't offer anything on ST).

They also remain high on Hampton, but he probably offers more of the same in a way Hunter or James don't.

By next offseason Lattimore, Hyde, Miller, Millard + 1 is likely though, assuming Lattimore can show enough to still be in the mix.

The wildcard of course, which they'll never do, is moving on from Gore before Week 1. Depending on how Lattimore and/or Hyde perform with some sadness I do however expect him to get phased out as the season progresses.

(thanks for the draft clips upload on the webzone, btw. I wasn't logged in when I watched it so I didn't TY, but TY :) ).

NP.

Fanatics

Reaction score
I don't know how this became a 49er FanFest here at the Net but here is my 2 cents. If Gore doesn't retire a 49er, that should be a very sad day for 49er fans, that guy has been the life of the offense for years and hearing you talk about moving on is not even fun to read as a Seahawk fan. Also, nobody should wear #21 on the 49ers again, I truly believe he has meant that much to the 49ers since being drafted.

Hunter - didn't Hunter complain during one game last year about not getting a chance, I believe it was when they were responding to James' twitter rants, so they gave LaMichael his shot during a few games. If that is true, I think he will want to compete for a starting job, which is not happening on the 49ers, so he will not sign for cheap.

James - I can see them moving on from him this season with the drafting of Ellington, who offers the same type of athleticism, probably a better athlete, with obviously much better upside at a position of need.

Previous posters have stated that a Lattimore/Hyde combo for years doesn't sound fun for us but I am sure Lynch doesn't sound like fun for you either. :D

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Fanatics":3f5vhhsr said:
If Gore doesn't retire a 49er, that should be a very sad day for 49er fans, that guy has been the life of the offense for years and hearing you talk about moving on is not even fun to read as a Seahawk fan. Also, nobody should wear #21 on the 49ers again, I truly believe he has meant that much to the 49ers since being drafted.

While it seems harsh, remember though that I'm a 9ers fans who has watched my team move on from some of the best players in the history of the game when they were past their primes (Rice, Montana, Lott). Absolutely agreed about retiring his number, though. He's up there with Bryant Young, etc. as one of my all-time favorite 9ers.

Hunter - didn't Hunter complain during one game last year about not getting a chance, I believe it was when they were responding to James' twitter rants, so they gave LaMichael his shot during a few games. If that is true, I think he will want to compete for a starting job, which is not happening on the 49ers, so he will not sign for cheap.

Nah, not that I'm aware of. I've never heard of a peep of complaint from Hunter. Like anyone else I'm sure he'd rather be a starter, but the sense I get is that he's very under the rader in the NFL, and wouldn't ever get the opportunity (best situation for him would probably end up being a true rotation somewhere).

James - I can see them moving on from him this season with the drafting of Ellington, who offers the same type of athleticism, probably a better athlete, with obviously much better upside at a position of need.

Agreed, although James really is great in the kick return game. I think any 9ers fan who claims he isn't holding his breath still on punt returns is probably lying though.

Previous posters have stated that a Lattimore/Hyde combo for years doesn't sound fun for us but I am sure Lynch doesn't sound like fun for you either. :D

Nope, not fun at all. :)

Lynch, despite playing for the Hawks, is a Bay Area guy through and through. I'd be distrustful of any 9ers fan who claimed not to like him. ;)

Marvin49

Reaction score
Popeyejones":dw5jczew said:
Fanatics":dw5jczew said:
If Gore doesn't retire a 49er, that should be a very sad day for 49er fans, that guy has been the life of the offense for years and hearing you talk about moving on is not even fun to read as a Seahawk fan. Also, nobody should wear #21 on the 49ers again, I truly believe he has meant that much to the 49ers since being drafted.

While it seems harsh, remember though that I'm a 9ers fans who has watched my team move on from some of the best players in the history of the game when they were past their primes (Rice, Montana, Lott). Absolutely agreed about retiring his number, though. He's up there with Bryant Young, etc. as one of my all-time favorite 9ers.

Nah, not that I'm aware of. I've never heard of a peep of complaint from Hunter. Like anyone else I'm sure he'd rather be a starter, but the sense I get is that he's very under the rader in the NFL, and wouldn't ever get the opportunity (best situation for him would probably end up being a true rotation somewhere).

Agreed, although James really is great in the kick return game. I think any 9ers fan who claims he isn't holding his breath still on punt returns is probably lying though.

Nope, not fun at all. :)

Lynch, despite playing for the Hawks, is a Bay Area guy through and through. I'd be distrustful of any 9ers fan who claimed not to like him. ;)

Agreed on all counts.

It'll be a sad day when Frank is done and he WILL be the last 49er ever to wear #21.