49ers draft yet another running back

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. RATING: PG-13
49ers draft yet another running back
Fri May 09, 2014 5:08 pm
  • How many does one team need?
    hieroglyphics
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 43
    Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:58 am


Re: 49ers draft yet another running back
Fri May 09, 2014 5:09 pm
  • hieroglyphics wrote:How many does one team need?


    Gore is getting older, LMJ is going to be used as a trade tool, Hunter is coming off surgery, Lattimore is coming off surgery. I would say solid pick, this guy is a bigger Gore (we'll see how close they get)

    I don't see why he doesn't do well behind that offensive line. Solid pick
    Don't let the username fool you, I bleed red and gold.
    User avatar
    Sherminator
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 267
    Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:29 am


Re: 49ers draft yet another running back
Fri May 09, 2014 5:46 pm
  • Sherminator wrote:
    hieroglyphics wrote:How many does one team need?


    Gore is getting older, LMJ is going to be used as a trade tool, Hunter is coming off surgery, Lattimore is coming off surgery. I would say solid pick, this guy is a bigger Gore (we'll see how close they get)

    I don't see why he doesn't do well behind that offensive line. Solid pick

    Solid Pick yes but necessary? It makes no sense for that team to continue to load up at RB like that.
    Fanatics
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 97
    Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:21 am


Re: 49ers draft yet another running back
Fri May 09, 2014 6:00 pm
  • Fanatics wrote:
    Sherminator wrote:
    hieroglyphics wrote:How many does one team need?


    Gore is getting older, LMJ is going to be used as a trade tool, Hunter is coming off surgery, Lattimore is coming off surgery. I would say solid pick, this guy is a bigger Gore (we'll see how close they get)

    I don't see why he doesn't do well behind that offensive line. Solid pick

    Solid Pick yes but necessary? It makes no sense for that team to continue to load up at RB like that.


    Gore is 33 (i think?)

    Right now his backup is between two guys coming off major surgeries.
    How was this not a need lol
    Don't let the username fool you, I bleed red and gold.
    User avatar
    Sherminator
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 267
    Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:29 am


Re: 49ers draft yet another running back
Fri May 09, 2014 6:30 pm
  • They were going to need a workhorse. Gore is in his last season and LMJ is potentially out of there this year.

    I did think Lattimore would get the touches this season, I suppose they could platoon Hyde and Lattimore, but that does seem a little wasteful.

    Eh.. whatever, Harbafreak doesn't like playing Rookies, this could be the back of 2016.
    Eh... Whatever...
    User avatar
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!
     
    Posts: 5309
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:17 pm
    Location: Auburn, WA


Re: 49ers draft yet another running back
Fri May 09, 2014 7:37 pm
  • We drafted Ware and Michael last season despite having Lynch and Turbin. It's good competition and depth.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 203
    Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:57 pm


Re: 49ers draft yet another running back
Fri May 09, 2014 8:27 pm
  • Who did they pick?
    User avatar
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6858
    Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:12 am


Re: 49ers draft yet another running back
Fri May 09, 2014 8:40 pm
  • He has Lynch style running and is big, wide stance and lowers his shoulder into contact. The 49ers are looking more and more like if we can't beat them join them as far as their approach.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Used to be an Alumni till they pulled a USC on me...
    .Net official Clueless, Dumbass, Douche, Simpleton, CensoredTard , Idiot, member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 9758
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: 49ers draft yet another running back
Sat May 10, 2014 7:45 am
  • -The Glove- wrote:Who did they pick?


    The top rated RB in the draft. Carlos Hyde.
    QuickLightning
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 116
    Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:20 am


Re: 49ers draft yet another running back
Sat May 10, 2014 7:42 pm
  • Byner and Mack = Lattimore and Hyde = big trouble in the NFCW.

    We better hope to hell we didn't miss on Michael.
    User avatar
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5012
    Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:20 pm
    Location: The 5-0


Re: 49ers draft yet another running back
Sun May 11, 2014 6:06 am
  • Sherminator wrote:
    Fanatics wrote:
    Sherminator wrote:
    hieroglyphics wrote:How many does one team need?


    Gore is getting older, LMJ is going to be used as a trade tool, Hunter is coming off surgery, Lattimore is coming off surgery. I would say solid pick, this guy is a bigger Gore (we'll see how close they get)

    I don't see why he doesn't do well behind that offensive line. Solid pick

    Solid Pick yes but necessary? It makes no sense for that team to continue to load up at RB like that.


    Gore is 33 (i think?)

    Right now his backup is between two guys coming off major surgeries.
    How was this not a need lol


    Gore will be 31 in 3 days.
    “If somebody thinks they're a hedgehog, presumably you just give them a mirror and a few pictures of hedgehogs and tell them to sort it out for themselves.”
    Vetamur
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 5893
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:41 pm


Re: 49ers draft yet another running back
Sun May 11, 2014 2:04 pm
  • Vetamur wrote:
    Sherminator wrote:
    Fanatics wrote:
    Sherminator wrote:
    Gore is getting older, LMJ is going to be used as a trade tool, Hunter is coming off surgery, Lattimore is coming off surgery. I would say solid pick, this guy is a bigger Gore (we'll see how close they get)

    I don't see why he doesn't do well behind that offensive line. Solid pick

    Solid Pick yes but necessary? It makes no sense for that team to continue to load up at RB like that.


    Gore is 33 (i think?)

    Right now his backup is between two guys coming off major surgeries.
    How was this not a need lol


    Gore will be 31 in 3 days.

    Hunter has been off surgery to. That was 2 seasons ago when Hunter got injured. He should be 100%. However, Hunter is entering the final year of his deal. He will get a lot of looks from teams next offseason.
    Front7vLOB
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 75
    Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:57 pm


Re: 49ers draft yet another running back
Sun May 11, 2014 8:58 pm
  • Hoping Carlos plays more like Jekyll on game day.
    User avatar
    Shadowhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 1154
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:05 am


Re: 49ers draft yet another running back
Mon May 12, 2014 8:26 am
  • The 9ers followed the same draft forumula they did last year: use the 1st round pick to fill an immediate need, use lower round picks (and FA) to fill other needs with vets (who the 9ers really prefer, for better or for worse; see Boldin for the former and Moss or Edwards for the latter), and use the rest of the picks to fill needs that are one to three years out.

    For this last group, they draft redshirt players as they can extract extra value from them and still get them playing for four years under rookie deals by using the NFI (they just took three of these guys, and took two last year), and BPAs that have slipped through the crack at positions that will be a need, allowing them to test-drive these guys and "hide" the really good one's on the bench in order to sign them to what after-the-fact are very below-market extensions (e.g. this is what they did with Bowman, Boone, and Brooks, and have just done again with Kilgore and Brock; the opposite side of the equation for this is someone like LaMichael James, who after getting to see him for a few years they now knw they're not high on and won't be extending).

    This is all to say that Carlos Hyde actually makes perfect sense for the 9ers strategy.* They don't need him this year, but Gore, Hunter and likely James will all probably be gone after this year, meaning by next season their run-first team could have ended up entirely dependent on the reconstructed knees of Marcus Lattimore. Hyde will likely end up filling Dixon's role in the first year, and by the time they need him after this year, they'll know if he fills the need or they need to go back and find someone else.

    Also worth saying that I think it's kind of weird for Hawks fans of all people to question this second round pick, given that as a group you guys seem to adore Christine Michael (also a second round pick), and his role for the years that he's under contract is MUUUUUUCH less clear given Lynch's age and Turbin's remaining years on contract when they drafted him.

    *We can of course debate if it's a GOOD strategy, although personally I think it's a great one and the draft prognistactors are catching on and starting to agree (e.g. Kiper giving the 9ers the best draft grade in the NFL, although who knows if that ends up being accurate or not; the point being that the 9ers are buying themselves time to react accordingly if it's not accurate, and setting themselves up for easy transitions if it is). If anything, as a fan who will continue to be a fan long term no matter what, the 9ers have come up just barely short for three years in a row now, and I'm ecstatic to have a GM who isn't over-reacting to that (when you're a play away from the Super Bowl on two ocassions and a play away from winning it on the third it's probably hard to keep a level head and incorporate long term thinking into your planning, but that's what they're doing and should be doing IMO).
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 992
    Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:58 am


Re: 49ers draft yet another running back
Mon May 12, 2014 9:04 am
  • Popeyejones wrote:The 9ers followed the same draft forumula they did last year: use the 1st round pick to fill an immediate need, use lower round picks (and FA) to fill other needs with vets (who the 9ers really prefer, for better or for worse; see Boldin for the former and Moss or Edwards for the latter), and use the rest of the picks to fill needs that are one to three years out.

    For this last group, they draft redshirt players as they can extract extra value from them and still get them playing for four years under rookie deals by using the NFI (they just took three of these guys, and took two last year), and BPAs that have slipped through the crack at positions that will be a need, allowing them to test-drive these guys and "hide" the really good one's on the bench in order to sign them to what after-the-fact are very below-market extensions (e.g. this is what they did with Bowman, Boone, and Brooks, and have just done again with Kilgore and Brock; the opposite side of the equation for this is someone like LaMichael James, who after getting to see him for a few years they now knw they're not high on and won't be extending).

    This is all to say that Carlos Hyde actually makes perfect sense for the 9ers strategy.* They don't need him this year, but Gore, Hunter and likely James will all probably be gone after this year, meaning by next season their run-first team could have ended up entirely dependent on the reconstructed knees of Marcus Lattimore. Hyde will likely end up filling Dixon's role in the first year, and by the time they need him after this year, they'll know if he fills the need or they need to go back and find someone else.

    Also worth saying that I think it's kind of weird for Hawks fans of all people to question this second round pick, given that as a group you guys seem to adore Christine Michael (also a second round pick), and his role for the years that he's under contract is MUUUUUUCH less clear given Lynch's age and Turbin's remaining years on contract when they drafted him.

    *We can of course debate if it's a GOOD strategy, although personally I think it's a great one and the draft prognistactors are catching on and starting to agree (e.g. Kiper giving the 9ers the best draft grade in the NFL, although who knows if that ends up being accurate or not; the point being that the 9ers are buying themselves time to react accordingly if it's not accurate, and setting themselves up for easy transitions if it is). If anything, as a fan who will continue to be a fan long term no matter what, the 9ers have come up just barely short for three years in a row now, and I'm ecstatic to have a GM who isn't over-reacting to that (when you're a play away from the Super Bowl on two ocassions and a play away from winning it on the third it's probably hard to keep a level head and incorporate long term thinking into your planning, but that's what they're doing and should be doing IMO).


    Agree on all counts....although I think they'll find a way to keep Hunter. Its not like he's going to get big money offers elsewhere. Market is rough on RBs these days.

    I did find it amusing when I read one draft review that said something to the effect of "After getting only one starter in the last two drafts the 49ers needed to do better".

    That's why I don't like draft reviews. They don't have a clue what they are talking about. 2012 has largely been a bust of a draft, but 2013? Yes...1 starter so far, but that's because they didn't have any starting positions up for competition. What other positions needed an immediate upgrade that a draft pick would fill? Its not because the players sucked. LOL. 1 Starter who made Pro Bowl as an alternate, 3 redshirts, a TE that played ALOT, a promising WR who was injured....etc, etc.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2545
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:34 pm


Re: 49ers draft yet another running back
Mon May 12, 2014 9:19 am
  • ^^^ Good points, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if Hunter is resigned on the cheap or James is still around (which might be harder; they carried 5 RBs last year and I can't see them carrying 6 with Gore, Miller, Hunter, James, Lattimore and Hyde). They could also cut Hunter in favor of James this year, which might not be a terrible move from a contract perspective and depending on what's happening with return men (I say this while really liking Hunter, despite the fact that unlike James he doesn't offer anything on ST).

    They also remain high on Hampton, but he probably offers more of the same in a way Hunter or James don't.

    By next offseason Lattimore, Hyde, Miller, Millard + 1 is likely though, assuming Lattimore can show enough to still be in the mix.

    The wildcard of course, which they'll never do, is moving on from Gore before Week 1. Depending on how Lattimore and/or Hyde perform with some sadness I do however expect him to get phased out as the season progresses.

    (thanks for the draft clips upload on the webzone, btw. I wasn't logged in when I watched it so I didn't TY, but TY :) ).
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 992
    Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:58 am


Re: 49ers draft yet another running back
Mon May 12, 2014 10:47 am
  • Popeyejones wrote:^^^ Good points, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if Hunter is resigned on the cheap or James is still around (which might be harder; they carried 5 RBs last year and I can't see them carrying 6 with Gore, Miller, Hunter, James, Lattimore and Hyde). They could also cut Hunter in favor of James this year, which might not be a terrible move from a contract perspective and depending on what's happening with return men (I say this while really liking Hunter, despite the fact that unlike James he doesn't offer anything on ST).

    They also remain high on Hampton, but he probably offers more of the same in a way Hunter or James don't.

    By next offseason Lattimore, Hyde, Miller, Millard + 1 is likely though, assuming Lattimore can show enough to still be in the mix.

    The wildcard of course, which they'll never do, is moving on from Gore before Week 1. Depending on how Lattimore and/or Hyde perform with some sadness I do however expect him to get phased out as the season progresses.

    (thanks for the draft clips upload on the webzone, btw. I wasn't logged in when I watched it so I didn't TY, but TY :) ).


    NP.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2545
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:34 pm


Re: 49ers draft yet another running back
Mon May 12, 2014 10:50 am
  • I don't know how this became a 49er FanFest here at the Net but here is my 2 cents. If Gore doesn't retire a 49er, that should be a very sad day for 49er fans, that guy has been the life of the offense for years and hearing you talk about moving on is not even fun to read as a Seahawk fan. Also, nobody should wear #21 on the 49ers again, I truly believe he has meant that much to the 49ers since being drafted.

    Hunter - didn't Hunter complain during one game last year about not getting a chance, I believe it was when they were responding to James' twitter rants, so they gave LaMichael his shot during a few games. If that is true, I think he will want to compete for a starting job, which is not happening on the 49ers, so he will not sign for cheap.

    James - I can see them moving on from him this season with the drafting of Ellington, who offers the same type of athleticism, probably a better athlete, with obviously much better upside at a position of need.

    Previous posters have stated that a Lattimore/Hyde combo for years doesn't sound fun for us but I am sure Lynch doesn't sound like fun for you either. :D
    Fanatics
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 97
    Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:21 am


Re: 49ers draft yet another running back
Mon May 12, 2014 12:21 pm
  • Fanatics wrote: If Gore doesn't retire a 49er, that should be a very sad day for 49er fans, that guy has been the life of the offense for years and hearing you talk about moving on is not even fun to read as a Seahawk fan. Also, nobody should wear #21 on the 49ers again, I truly believe he has meant that much to the 49ers since being drafted.


    While it seems harsh, remember though that I'm a 9ers fans who has watched my team move on from some of the best players in the history of the game when they were past their primes (Rice, Montana, Lott). Absolutely agreed about retiring his number, though. He's up there with Bryant Young, etc. as one of my all-time favorite 9ers.

    Fanatics wrote:Hunter - didn't Hunter complain during one game last year about not getting a chance, I believe it was when they were responding to James' twitter rants, so they gave LaMichael his shot during a few games. If that is true, I think he will want to compete for a starting job, which is not happening on the 49ers, so he will not sign for cheap.


    Nah, not that I'm aware of. I've never heard of a peep of complaint from Hunter. Like anyone else I'm sure he'd rather be a starter, but the sense I get is that he's very under the rader in the NFL, and wouldn't ever get the opportunity (best situation for him would probably end up being a true rotation somewhere).

    Fanatics wrote:James - I can see them moving on from him this season with the drafting of Ellington, who offers the same type of athleticism, probably a better athlete, with obviously much better upside at a position of need.


    Agreed, although James really is great in the kick return game. I think any 9ers fan who claims he isn't holding his breath still on punt returns is probably lying though.

    Fanatics wrote:Previous posters have stated that a Lattimore/Hyde combo for years doesn't sound fun for us but I am sure Lynch doesn't sound like fun for you either. :D


    Nope, not fun at all. :)

    Lynch, despite playing for the Hawks, is a Bay Area guy through and through. I'd be distrustful of any 9ers fan who claimed not to like him. ;)
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 992
    Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:58 am


Re: 49ers draft yet another running back
Mon May 12, 2014 1:09 pm
  • Popeyejones wrote:
    Fanatics wrote: If Gore doesn't retire a 49er, that should be a very sad day for 49er fans, that guy has been the life of the offense for years and hearing you talk about moving on is not even fun to read as a Seahawk fan. Also, nobody should wear #21 on the 49ers again, I truly believe he has meant that much to the 49ers since being drafted.


    While it seems harsh, remember though that I'm a 9ers fans who has watched my team move on from some of the best players in the history of the game when they were past their primes (Rice, Montana, Lott). Absolutely agreed about retiring his number, though. He's up there with Bryant Young, etc. as one of my all-time favorite 9ers.

    Fanatics wrote:Hunter - didn't Hunter complain during one game last year about not getting a chance, I believe it was when they were responding to James' twitter rants, so they gave LaMichael his shot during a few games. If that is true, I think he will want to compete for a starting job, which is not happening on the 49ers, so he will not sign for cheap.


    Nah, not that I'm aware of. I've never heard of a peep of complaint from Hunter. Like anyone else I'm sure he'd rather be a starter, but the sense I get is that he's very under the rader in the NFL, and wouldn't ever get the opportunity (best situation for him would probably end up being a true rotation somewhere).

    Fanatics wrote:James - I can see them moving on from him this season with the drafting of Ellington, who offers the same type of athleticism, probably a better athlete, with obviously much better upside at a position of need.


    Agreed, although James really is great in the kick return game. I think any 9ers fan who claims he isn't holding his breath still on punt returns is probably lying though.

    Fanatics wrote:Previous posters have stated that a Lattimore/Hyde combo for years doesn't sound fun for us but I am sure Lynch doesn't sound like fun for you either. :D


    Nope, not fun at all. :)

    Lynch, despite playing for the Hawks, is a Bay Area guy through and through. I'd be distrustful of any 9ers fan who claimed not to like him. ;)


    Agreed on all counts.

    It'll be a sad day when Frank is done and he WILL be the last 49er ever to wear #21.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2545
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:34 pm


Re: 49ers draft yet another running back
Wed May 14, 2014 7:54 pm
  • Shadowhawk wrote:Hoping Carlos plays more like Jekyll on game day.

    ^ That's just solid work right there, Shadow. Solid! :th2thumbs:
    User avatar
    Snakeeyes007
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 212
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:52 am


Re: 49ers draft yet another running back
Thu May 15, 2014 7:12 pm
  • I am hoping that Harbs tries to turn Papaki into Joe Montana with all his receiving weapons and neglects the run game altogether.

    Going back to the switch at QB, the drafting of whoever that first round receiving bust was, adding Manningham and Moss. Now the Johnson trade after getting Boldin signed again. It is like an itch that he has to scratch. He has visions of passing the ball like he did with the Colts when his team is built more like the Bears team he led.
    Eh... Whatever...
    User avatar
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!
     
    Posts: 5309
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:17 pm
    Location: Auburn, WA


Re: 49ers draft yet another running back
Tue May 20, 2014 3:31 pm
  • loafoftatupu wrote:I am hoping that Harbs tries to turn Papaki into Joe Montana with all his receiving weapons and neglects the run game altogether.

    Going back to the switch at QB, the drafting of whoever that first round receiving bust was, adding Manningham and Moss. Now the Johnson trade after getting Boldin signed again. It is like an itch that he has to scratch. He has visions of passing the ball like he did with the Colts when his team is built more like the Bears team he led.


    Nah...they will be a run first team.

    While you are right that they took a WR high a few years ago and that they just traded for Stevie Johnson...

    ....they have also drafted RBs every single year.

    Dixon, Hunter, James, Lattimore, and Hyde...and they still have Gore.

    They also took 2 more massive interior linemen fairly high.

    Getting Johnson was for 2 reasons....1, when Crab was hurt last year, teams would double Boldin and nobody else at WR was capable of getting open. They don't want that to happen again. It also protects them from the fact that Crab is in the last year of his contract and Boldin is 33 (or 34?) and on a 2 year deal.

    Harbs lives and breathes the power run game. It ain't going anywhere.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2545
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:34 pm


Re: 49ers draft yet another running back
Tue May 20, 2014 7:33 pm
  • Marvin49 wrote:
    loafoftatupu wrote:I am hoping that Harbs tries to turn Papaki into Joe Montana with all his receiving weapons and neglects the run game altogether.

    Going back to the switch at QB, the drafting of whoever that first round receiving bust was, adding Manningham and Moss. Now the Johnson trade after getting Boldin signed again. It is like an itch that he has to scratch. He has visions of passing the ball like he did with the Colts when his team is built more like the Bears team he led.


    Nah...they will be a run first team.

    While you are right that they took a WR high a few years ago and that they just traded for Stevie Johnson...

    ....they have also drafted RBs every single year.

    Dixon, Hunter, James, Lattimore, and Hyde...and they still have Gore.

    They also took 2 more massive interior linemen fairly high.

    Getting Johnson was for 2 reasons....1, when Crab was hurt last year, teams would double Boldin and nobody else at WR was capable of getting open. They don't want that to happen again. It also protects them from the fact that Crab is in the last year of his contract and Boldin is 33 (or 34?) and on a 2 year deal.

    Harbs lives and breathes the power run game. It ain't going anywhere.


    I was kidding Marvin. If Harbafreak tried to turn the Niners into a pass first offense it would ruin them. That's why I said I wanted them to try.

    But nothing would be more fun than having the Kraeper making a bunch of pass attempts in the SF/SEA games next year. If he is passing a lot it is because the ground game isn't working.
    Eh... Whatever...
    User avatar
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!
     
    Posts: 5309
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:17 pm
    Location: Auburn, WA


Re: 49ers draft yet another running back
Wed May 21, 2014 6:02 am
  • Hyde will be another in a long line of aOSU flops at RB.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2168
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:49 pm


Re: 49ers draft yet another running back
Wed May 21, 2014 6:54 am
  • loafoftatupu wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:
    loafoftatupu wrote:I am hoping that Harbs tries to turn Papaki into Joe Montana with all his receiving weapons and neglects the run game altogether.

    Going back to the switch at QB, the drafting of whoever that first round receiving bust was, adding Manningham and Moss. Now the Johnson trade after getting Boldin signed again. It is like an itch that he has to scratch. He has visions of passing the ball like he did with the Colts when his team is built more like the Bears team he led.


    Nah...they will be a run first team.

    While you are right that they took a WR high a few years ago and that they just traded for Stevie Johnson...

    ....they have also drafted RBs every single year.

    Dixon, Hunter, James, Lattimore, and Hyde...and they still have Gore.

    They also took 2 more massive interior linemen fairly high.

    Getting Johnson was for 2 reasons....1, when Crab was hurt last year, teams would double Boldin and nobody else at WR was capable of getting open. They don't want that to happen again. It also protects them from the fact that Crab is in the last year of his contract and Boldin is 33 (or 34?) and on a 2 year deal.

    Harbs lives and breathes the power run game. It ain't going anywhere.


    I was kidding Marvin. If Harbafreak tried to turn the Niners into a pass first offense it would ruin them. That's why I said I wanted them to try.

    But nothing would be more fun than having the Kraeper making a bunch of pass attempts in the SF/SEA games next year. If he is passing a lot it is because the ground game isn't working.


    :)
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2545
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:34 pm


Re: 49ers draft yet another running back
Wed May 21, 2014 6:56 am
  • CPHawk wrote:Hyde will be another in a long line of aOSU flops at RB.


    I hope you are wrong, but I can't help but notice how often his runs are through massive holes or bounced outside. I think it'll be a battle between Lattimore and Hyde to see who takes that #1 RB role from Frank next year. WHomever wins tho, the other guy will probably see a lot of action.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2545
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:34 pm




It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:27 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]




Information
  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 25 guests