Santa Clara 49ers trade 4th round pick for Stevie Johnson

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. RATING: PG-13
  • TheGOAT#80 wrote:
    Admits that his team can't beat us. Hopes the Seahawks will "melt down". Accuses 12th Man of being fairweather (which is highly ironic considering Candlestick has been a ghost town since the early 90's).

Don't know where you got this from. 9ers have sold out every home games since 1981. Nice try though.

Oh yeah, always such a supportive fanbase. Yeah right. Just because it's a sellout in the books doesn't mean you have always filled the stadium.

http://m.sfgate.com/sports/article/FADE ... 622172.php

bigtrain21
    * NET GIF Master *

• bigtrain21 wrote:
    TheGOAT#80 wrote:
    Admits that his team can't beat us. Hopes the Seahawks will "melt down". Accuses 12th Man of being fairweather (which is highly ironic considering Candlestick has been a ghost town since the early 90's).

Don't know where you got this from. 9ers have sold out every home games since 1981. Nice try though.

Oh yeah, always such a supportive fanbase. Yeah right. Just because it's a sellout in the books doesn't mean you have always filled the stadium.

Because similar photos have been taken for the Hawks. Just want to say I hate these stupid photos because there is no context behind them other than an empty stadium. Could have been taken pre-game. Could have been taken 2 minutes left into the 4th quarter while the team is down 30 points and everyone just wants to beat traffic at that point.
    ZagHawk
    NET Veteran

• SF49r wrote:
    -The Glove- wrote:
    SF49r wrote:
    lvnginhwktwn wrote:I can't wait to see the "12th man" meltdown next year when your precious Hawks don't live up to your expectations. Go ahead keep talking crap, you have til next season to get it out of your system.

And just to be clear, I am NOT comparing how your team will do against mine. I simply mean when your team does not do as well as this last season, it will be fun to watch the meltdown, your fair weather fans go back to talking shit about their own team like I use to hear here in Seattle 5 years ago, your new bandwagoneers jump ship and abandon the "12th man". And speaking of the '12th man" I really can't wait to see how much A&M charges the Hawks for the use of that name when they raise the price from 5000 a year to ? in 2016

But until then enjoy your crap talking and generalizations "Super Bowl Champs" :pukeface:

And when that happens all of the seahawk trolls will disappear from existence again on nfl.com articles and 49er highlight videos. Also this message board will start to lose activity. They will all migrate to the next winning team.

Lol... That's funny coming from your fanbase

Go to every NFL.com article involving the 49ers

That's all you will see in the comment sections.

Hate to burst your bubble bro, but every fan base has trolls. Go to ever Seahawk article anywhere, and you'll have Niner fans trolling Hawk fans on there. The thing is most articles involving either team, mention the other team so they actually show up in both team's article pages. I think it's intentionally done to have rival teams fans reading articles about each other and duking it out in the comments section.
    ZagHawk
    NET Veteran

• Stevie Johnson is a legit talent. He makes the Niners offense better, by making it more difficult to to key in on what single target Kaep is single reading. Yes that sounds like a negative, and it is in some forms. But in the end you still need to cover Crabtree, Boldin, Johnson, Davis, (possibly Latimore/Gore and QP). The Seahawks match up fairly well still vs that receiving core. The rest of the league save a few teams will not. In the end we still need a better record.

I feel the Niners will be better on offense as a whole, the defense depth based on actual field time vs speculation is where they take a step back along with a large drop off in DB play overall. We are in a similar position with a few rosters spots, the main difference is that we have NFL game tape on many of our back ups we hope fill in roles of most critical departed starters. Along with a once in a generation backfield.

Also from the Article (I know it was from 2005):

The 49ers' season-ticket community may be shrinking for reasons other than losing seasons and unpopular management.

"A lot of hardcore fans who have been with them for years are dying," said Laureen Burke, 52, of Petaluma.
    Brahn
    NET Veteran

• ZagHawk wrote:
    bigtrain21 wrote:
    TheGOAT#80 wrote:

Because similar photos have been taken for the Hawks. Just want to say I hate these stupid photos because there is no context behind them other than an empty stadium. Could have been taken pre-game. Could have been taken 2 minutes left into the 4th quarter while the team is down 30 points and everyone just wants to beat traffic at that point.

That's why I posted a link to the story in which the reporter said when the picture was taken and that it was a poorly attended game. A poorly attended game that counted as a sellout. The link gave the picture context.
    bigtrain21
    * NET GIF Master *

• I do think that Johnson will help the Niners, but how much more will he add? I know this much, if the Niners had an accurate slinger at QB, they would be scary. With Papaki they are not getting the value out of those weapons that they should. They are going to go as far as Kaeperstank can take them.

I said the same thing after they signed Manningham and Moss. What is it the digits are going to change to take advantage of a guy like Johnson? Is Papaki going to really change that much in the offseason? Are the Niners going to revamp their offense?

Johnson is a great player, but how much is he going to help a defense that is already down their best player and potentially down their next best player in Smith? (save for PWilly who I should note is entering his 8th season) With a QB like Papaki, does the addition of Johnson make up for that? It is still a good trade IMHO, but with a secondary still in question that has a good chance of playing behind 50% of the Niners strongest area on defense I have to think that the Niners should be more concerned with their defense than anything. Aldon, PWilly, Brooks and Bowman make up the best LBing group I have ever seen together at one time. Brooks and PWilly are both aging quickly and have the potential of being without their very explosive brothers. Alone they are not the same guys. That group is so damn good at everything that they hide the defects in the back.

I have read posts from Niner nation assuming their youth is going to fill in without a drop off, but we are talking about Bowman and Maybe Aldon here, that is a tall order when guys like Cowboy are aging and the secondary is in transition. Great trade, but what does it do for the overall impact on the field?

This might sound crazy, but if I was Baalke, I would look into what kind of defender I could get in a trade with Choketree, who is nearing a big payday.
    "The life you lose may be your own" - Drunk dude at the bar
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!

• Couldn't find the thread where people were calling me a "fool" because I said that Johnson was redundant, would have a minimal impact, and that the 49ers should have gone out and picked up a burner.

So I'll just link it here:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... eiver-role
    The_Z_Man
    NET Veteran

• Z Man, San Francisco being too stupid to use Stevie Johnson like they should isn't Stevie's fault. :)
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• RolandDeschain wrote:Z Man, San Francisco being too stupid to use Stevie Johnson like they should isn't Stevie's fault. :)

My point was, that when you have redundant receivers you need a Manning or a Brady to make it work, not a guy who can't see the whole field.
    The_Z_Man
    NET Veteran

• Uh, who is he supposedly a redundant clone of? Stevie is a great route-runner that gets open a lot. Boldin? No, he's good at making catches in traffic. Crabtree? I don't see it.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• The_Z_Man wrote:Couldn't find the thread where people were calling me a "fool" because I said that Johnson was redundant, would have a minimal impact, and that the 49ers should have gone out and picked up a burner.

So I'll just link it here:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... eiver-role

You didn't hear that shit from me Z... I am right there with you. You already pointed out the fact K-Choke is not going to be able to utilize him, but Harbadouche has been trying to add "weapons" every season, that ultimately take catches away from the other receivers. Even when Smith was there, Hardouche went for Manningham (Ninerfans told us how that was going to add to their game) and Moss.. LMAO. So what do the Niners do? Add another "weapon" that cant be used. I have read some commentary about K-Choke going through his progressions, which to Niner fans means dumping the ball to Bruce Miller and that was in extremely limited time in the preseason.

What good is the bullet without a gun to shoot it? Or even more importantly, the mentality. I will believe the Niners can take advantage of more "weapons" when I see it. I'm not saying they won't be able to generate offense, K-Choke will zero in on his receiver in the huddle and he will do his best to get that guy the ball, but it there won't be many 3+ catch guys on that team outside of the first guy. Good thing he is only cost them a 4th rounder, but if the dude doesn't play it was a total waste,
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!

• RolandDeschain wrote:Uh, who is he supposedly a redundant clone of? Stevie is a great route-runner that gets open a lot. Boldin? No, he's good at making catches in traffic. Crabtree? I don't see it.

He is redundant because they don't use what they already have... Like you buying a box of condoms. :mrgreen:
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!

• Jville wrote:
    There are questions in San Francisco whether Johnson has even locked up the No. 3 receiver job. .......... Reporter Matt Maiocco cited a lack of chemistry between Johnson and Colin Kaepernick. Roman admitted that Johnson needs to "develop" that chemistry. Even Johnson knows that he's no longer a featured part of the offense.
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000381621/article/stevie-johnson-trying-to-lock-down-no-3-receiver-role

Jesus now we know why Hurlbaugh wants out, what a trainwreck.
    43-8...it's all about that action boss....
    next man up.
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran

• MizzouHawkGal wrote:
    Jville wrote:
    There are questions in San Francisco whether Johnson has even locked up the No. 3 receiver job. .......... Reporter Matt Maiocco cited a lack of chemistry between Johnson and Colin Kaepernick. Roman admitted that Johnson needs to "develop" that chemistry. Even Johnson knows that he's no longer a featured part of the offense.
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000381621/article/stevie-johnson-trying-to-lock-down-no-3-receiver-role

Not sure that guy is a member of the denialzone niner trolls trusted media club, so tread carefully Mizzou. 8)
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

• loafoftatupu wrote:He is redundant because they don't use what they already have... Like you buying a box of condoms. :mrgreen:

Just don't run a DNA test between you and your kids. :mrgreen:
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• RolandDeschain wrote:
    loafoftatupu wrote:He is redundant because they don't use what they already have... Like you buying a box of condoms. :mrgreen:

ouch! :snack:
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

• Sports Hernia wrote:ouch! :snack:

He had it coming. ;)
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• RolandDeschain wrote:
    loafoftatupu wrote:He is redundant because they don't use what they already have... Like you buying a box of condoms. :mrgreen:

I did have it coming, but I am sure it would prove that they are your siblings. [emoji47]
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!

• I think you'd have been better off remaining silent than responding with that kind of a weak reply, Loaf.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• Off topic.. I can't stand fricking STL man.. been here all week, jacked up humidity and damn Ferguson is just a few miles away...

listening to the radio here on the commute about the Rams gives a lot of perspective to how the Hawks are viewed. The quote today was "They won't beat Seattle if they aren't practicing harder and playing like they did in the last preseason game"(Demarco Farr)
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!

• That sucks. I wouldn't wish St. Louis on anybody except 49ers fans.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• RolandDeschain wrote:I think you'd have been better off remaining silent than responding with that kind of a weak reply, Loaf.

It was as weak as the trigger that generated it.

Now this Stevie Johnson thing... Was he not the feature receiver in Buffalo? How does a guy like that NOT have the rapport with KaeperSpaz?
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!

• Sports Hernia wrote:
    MizzouHawkGal wrote:
    Jville wrote:

Not sure that guy is a member of the denialzone niner trolls trusted media club, so tread carefully Mizzou. 8)

Pretty sure Matt was on the "I am lap dog" journalist that Niner fans have approved; apparently he can only take so much. Whenever this ship sinks, it is going to Titanic like. I like many others, said that Johnson was overrated and he is not letting us down. When the journalists ask Colin why it just isn't happening between the two of them, he can say it was because of his foot injury week 2.
    seahawk12thman
    NET Veteran

• seahawk12thman wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:
    MizzouHawkGal wrote:Jesus now we know why Hurlbaugh wants out, what a trainwreck.

Pretty sure Matt was on the "I am lap dog" journalist that Niner fans have approved; apparently he can only take so much. Whenever this ship sinks, it is going to Titanic like. I like many others, said that Johnson was overrated and he is not letting us down. When the journalists ask Colin why it just isn't happening between the two of them, he can say it was because of his foot injury week 2.

Sigh...

Do I need to go over the approved reading list again? :D

Its just about anyone outside of Lowell or Grant Cohn or Tim Kawakami. Matt Maiocco is a very good Beat Writer.

BTW, in response to the article, all Roman is saying is that they put different receivers in different packages based on different talents...IE, if they are going to have a guy go deep, they may look to use Lloyd over Johnson.

I can totally understand the commentary above tho and I agree that not naming Johnson the #3 WR would totally be a reason for Harbaugh to want out. I mean seriously...who wouldn't?
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

• ^^^^LOL

Johnson not being named #3 means one of two things:

1) Harbaugh very rarely names people starters or gives them jobs. He regularly gets this same question about NT, about the DE rotation, about outside CBs, all the time about slot CB, about Aldon's fill-in, about Bowman's fill-in, about the use of a 2nd TE versus third WR, and about backup QB. He never definitively answers any of these questions and never has. Last year he wouldn't even hint that Reid would be starting at FS (and had him second on the depth chart behind Dahl through the whole pre-season) until the season had already started, and everyone knew Reid was going to start.

2) If it's true that Stevie won't be the 3rd receiver, so what? Baalke manipulated the draft so the 9ers basically got him for nothing, and if he's not #3, it means that unlike last year he got beat out by somebody. On last year's team Stevie would have been battling Boldin for the #1 role. Heck, the 9ers have four guys on the roster who probably would have been the #2 last year behind Boldin. If he does get leapfrogged, it's a testament to how much improved the WRs are this year.

(FWIW I've always thought Stevie was a classic case of over-producing on a bad team due to a lack of other options. Given that Baalke already got the pick back and after this year Stevie can be cut without penalty I don't really care if he gets beat out or not).
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

• Popeyejones wrote:^^^^LOL

Johnson not being named #3 means one of two things:

1) Harbaugh very rarely names people starters or gives them jobs. He regularly gets this same question about NT, about the DE rotation, about outside CBs, all the time about slot CB, about Aldon's fill-in, about Bowman's fill-in, about the use of a 2nd TE versus third WR, and about backup QB. He never definitively answers any of these questions and never has. Last year he wouldn't even hint that Reid would be starting at FS (and had him second on the depth chart behind Dahl through the whole pre-season) until the season had already started, and everyone knew Reid was going to start.

2) If it's true that Stevie won't be the 3rd receiver, so what? Baalke manipulated the draft so the 9ers basically got him for nothing, and if he's not #3, it means that unlike last year he got beat out by somebody On last year's team Stevie would have been battling Boldin for the #1 role. If he does get leapfrogged, it's a testament to how much improved the WRs are this year.

(FWIW I've always thought Stevie was a classic case of over-producing on a bad team due to a lack of other options. Given that Baalke already got the pick back and after this year Stevie can be cut without penalty I don't really care if he gets beat out or not).

SPIN!!!! SPIN!!!!!

Don'cha know that the failure to name Stevie as the #3 WR three weeks before the first game of the season is clearly a sign that Kaepernick sucks and Harbaugh is so frustrated that he's ready to leave?

Duh. I don't see any other way you could look at it. All other attempts are just spin.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

• niner boys getting a little testy?

johnson a legit talent, and a reciever that has given us fits in the past. I for one do not doubt his talent or potential on that offense, i do however doubt Roman/Kap's ability to utilize him properly. I could be very wrong here and Roman has learned to acutally call a good (complete) game, and Kap has learned to progress through all his reads, but i'll reserve the right to believe that when i see it.
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

• hawker84 wrote:niner boys getting a little testy?

johnson a legit talent, and a reciever that has given us fits in the past. I for one do not doubt his talent or potential on that offense, i do however doubt Roman/Kap's ability to utilize him properly. I could be very wrong here and Roman has learned to acutally call a good (complete) game, and Kap has learned to progress through all his reads, but i'll reserve the right to believe that when i see it.

Not testy at all. :D Just having fun with it.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

• Marvin49 wrote:
    SPIN!!!! SPIN!!!!!

Don'cha know that the failure to name Stevie as the #3 WR three weeks before the first game of the season is clearly a sign that Kaepernick sucks and Harbaugh is so frustrated that he's ready to leave?

Duh. I don't see any other way you could look at it. All other attempts are just spin.

Popeye doesn't typically spin.. you do. With that comes the likelihood that his comment will be taken seriously. I think there is a lot of accuracy in what he said pertaining to the possibility of SJ not being the #3 guy. How it doesn't matter to the financial and draft picture.

Now you like to mock posts that you don't appreciate, but the funny part is that in jest what you said could very well be accurate.

If Johnson isn't playing above the others, why would anyone want him around with that salary? It doesn't matter what his name is or what he hasn't done before, if he isn't productive with K-Choke, the Niners can't afford to have him on the roster while they wait for things to "click". In other words, the money could be used elsewhere.

I just get a laugh because when the trade happened the expectations were really high, some even referring to Johnson as a #1 guy.
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!

• Popeyejones wrote:1) Harbaugh very rarely names people starters or gives them jobs.

The number of rookie starters that Harbaugh has played from week one in any given year since he has been in SF says otherwise. I know 49ers fans like to say that the lack of playing rookies in his tenure is just because the 49ers have been so Godly talented that it's impossible for anyone short of a future first-ballot Hall of Famer to crack the starting roster, but...Call me skeptical. :)

Marvin49 wrote:SPIN!!!! SPIN!!!!!

100% serious and honest question for you, Marvin. Why would you not make a concerted effort to get a lot of targets to the only receiver in the NFL to school both Darrelle Revis and Richard Sherman? While having a crap QB, to boot. I do not understand the negativity toward him from some of my fellow Seahawks brethren, the guy's a one-man wrecking crew when it comes to getting open. Stevie Johnson has had a nice number of good days against Revis, and he had a good day against Sherman the one time we played Buffalo, but seriously; I want to know what the answer to this question is.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• The answer to that question is probably that, if KrapperChoke stares him down the whole time, he most likely won't be schooling anybody. He's like buying a silver bullet for a pop gun.
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

• RolandDeschain wrote:
    Popeyejones wrote:1) Harbaugh very rarely names people starters or gives them jobs.

The number of rookie starters that Harbaugh has played from week one in any given year since he has been in SF says otherwise. I know 49ers fans like to say that the lack of playing rookies in his tenure is just because the 49ers have been so Godly talented that it's impossible for anyone short of a future first-ballot Hall of Famer to crack the starting roster, but...Call me skeptical. :).

I think your point is a little adjacent to mine. I didn't say he didn't start rookies, I said he very rarely anoints starters or names new players the starter during the offseason or preseason. If anything Bethea is the outlier, not any rookies. As for rookies he has started iirc in three years that's Reid and Bruce Miller. Starters he drafted but who weren't initially starters are Aldon, Kap, Looney, Williams, and Kilgore.
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

• Eh, fair enough. I think the 49ers would be better served if he was a little more willing to start rookies, but I'm not an NFL head coach.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• RolandDeschain wrote:Eh, fair enough. I think the 49ers would be better served if he was a little more willing to start rookies, but I'm not an NFL head coach.

agreed, or at least rotate them in more. That said the days of Seattle leaning on rookies are probably over for the next few years too. You'll have the occasional rookie plug right in due to a cap casualty (a la Reid), but at this point the Hawks waaaayyyy, waaaaaaaayyyyy too stacked to need to rely on their rookies from week one.

(I want to make an exception for offensive lineman, but what to the casual observer has looked like a trouble area seems at this point to be more of a philosophy; the same could be said it seems for the niners at NT and CB -- the fans who want them drafted early will likely rarely be satisfied.)
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

• Roland -

Stevie Johnson might be great at getting open (and he is) but he also had a tendency to drop passes. At the most inopportune times. Like when the Bills were down by 5, with 1 minute left, on 3rd down in the end zone. That's why buffalo traded him.

You can confirm this by going to any bills forum and reading their take on him from before the trade
    HansGruber
    NET Veteran

• I've wondered why a multiple 1000 yard receiver would seemingly have no market or trade value. Maybe the rumors about him being lazy and a locker room cancer are not as far fetched as you would think.

Harbaugh has a way of alienating players if he doesn't like them and this was not Harbaughs trade it was Balkke's so maybe those rumors about both Him and Jim are closer to reality than one might suspect.

If this was Balkke's trade though and Jimmy does black ball him ALA Sherman or Baldwin, this could be yet another rift in that FO. Power struggles often catch fire from situations just like this.

I know one thing, I am glad it is not Seattle dealing with this.
    The Lion has no interest in the opinion of the sheep.
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran

• Johnson worked Sherman a bit during that game back in 2012, but mostly when Sherman was in zone. Johnson is really good at working open against zone coverage, and Sherman is probably just about average in zone.
    "If given the opportunity without fear of incarceration, I would honestly beat the living **** out of Jerry Rice."

--Internet tough guy HawkWow being a MAN on the internet
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest

• RolandDeschain wrote:
    Popeyejones wrote:1) Harbaugh very rarely names people starters or gives them jobs.

The number of rookie starters that Harbaugh has played from week one in any given year since he has been in SF says otherwise. I know 49ers fans like to say that the lack of playing rookies in his tenure is just because the 49ers have been so Godly talented that it's impossible for anyone short of a future first-ballot Hall of Famer to crack the starting roster, but...Call me skeptical. :)

Marvin49 wrote:SPIN!!!! SPIN!!!!!

100% serious and honest question for you, Marvin. Why would you not make a concerted effort to get a lot of targets to the only receiver in the NFL to school both Darrelle Revis and Richard Sherman? While having a crap QB, to boot. I do not understand the negativity toward him from some of my fellow Seahawks brethren, the guy's a one-man wrecking crew when it comes to getting open. Stevie Johnson has had a nice number of good days against Revis, and he had a good day against Sherman the one time we played Buffalo, but seriously; I want to know what the answer to this question is.

I just think the whole thing is overblown. He'll get his chances. He'll play.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

• Stevie Johnson has been invisible so far ....
    Ziggyy108
    NET Starter

Previous

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:31 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information