Santa Clara 49ers trade 4th round pick for Stevie Johnson

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. RATING: PG-13
  • I remember Sherman had a tough time covering him a couple seasons ago. Good move by Whiner Nation, unfortunately.
    "I'm not the type to let a sleeping giant lie. I wake up the giant, slap him around, make him mad and beat him to the ground. I talk a big game because I carry a big stick." --- All-Pro Stanford Graduate
    Hawken-Dazs
    NET Veteran

• Yeah good move for them. Guy is a very solid receiver. WR core for them just got upgraded.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• This needs to be in the shack. Ugh.

Stevie Johnson is the ONLY receiver in the NFL to consistently get separation against both Darrelle Revis and Richard Sherman. Dude just has crazy route-running prowess.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• And it didn't even cost them a pick in this year's draft: it's a conditional pick in 2015.
    Shadowhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Def a good move on their part.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

Proud member of the 38 club
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

• A 4th? That's it? I hate this move. Stevie Johnson is a baller -- will more than likely be better than a WR they would've taken in the 2nd, especially immediately. But can Kaep capitalize on his skill set?
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

• AND they keep their million picks this year? What the hell.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

• Mods need to merge all the Stevie threads fast. Good move by the 49ers but that contract isn't cheap.
    43-8...it's all about that action boss....
    next man up.
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran

• DavidSeven wrote:A 4th? That's it? I hate this move. Stevie Johnson is a baller -- will more than likely be better than a WR they would've taken in the 2nd, especially immediately. But can Kaep capitalize on his skill set?

He won't have to be as accurate throwing to him as he will be to his other receivers. This improves the 49ers offense. Stupid Bills, they trade away great players for peanuts. Marshawn to us and Stevie to San Francisco, both bad values for them and great for the recipients.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• Conditional 5th.
    JZ#1
    NET Rookie

• WTF...do the niners have some blackmail on teams when it comes to trading for WRs...

how the hell do they get Johnson for a 4th NEXT year and Boldin for a 6th...are you kidding me? He was a 1000 yard WR from 2010 to 2012 for 3 seasons.
    WilsonMVP
    NET Veteran

• RolandDeschain wrote:
    DavidSeven wrote:A 4th? That's it? I hate this move. Stevie Johnson is a baller -- will more than likely be better than a WR they would've taken in the 2nd, especially immediately. But can Kaep capitalize on his skill set?

He won't have to be as accurate throwing to him as he will be to his other receivers. This improves the 49ers offense. Stupid Bills, they trade away great players for peanuts. Marshawn to us and Stevie to San Francisco, both bad values for them and great for the recipients.

Did the Bills really have any choice given his cap number? And drafting Watkins, Woods and trading for Williams.
    next man up.
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran

• JZ#1 wrote:Conditional 5th.

According to ESPN it's a conditional 4th that can be bumped to a 3rd.
    Kam Chancellor: The Chancellor of Defense
    Bruce Irvin: BruceMode
    Tharold Simon: Humble Thug
    Paul Richardson: BPR
    FortWorthSeahawk
    USAF BadAss

• And the Bills get fleeced....again (as if getting fleeced last night wasn't enough)
    Polaris
    NET Veteran

• 49ers loading up this year.

Get Johnson. Keep all there picks from this year.
    Ziggyy108
    NET Starter

• Wonder if this means Crabtree is gone. What do the 49ers do with 5 picks today and 5 picks tomorrow?
    JZ#1
    NET Rookie

• Um. Wow.

Didn't see that coming.

Takes some sting off missing out on Odell Beckham, that's for sure.

On the plus side for Seahawks fans, if you want a WR you are more likely to find one. I though the Niners might try to move up for one here high in the second, but now it might leave a Latimer or Lee for you.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

• God, the Bills incompetence is just mind-boggling. WTF is going on in Buffalo?

Further, I hate this deal. Great move by the Niners, giving up only a 3rd/4th next year. The only problem is that now they have to sign Kaepernick, and they just added another WR with an $8.5m cap this year, and $7m next year (according to the contract details I read online - not sure how accurate that is). That's not a ton for such a quality receiver, but it's going to make it harder to get Kaep signed. Overall though, he signed a team-friendly deal in Buffalo, and now SF gets to keep it.

Arrrr!! Seahawks should have been on the horn with Buffalo!

It is curious, though, that the Bills were so eager to dump him. Not only that, they basically gave away the farm for Watkins. Makes you wonder why they were so eager to move on. Probably just typical Bills' incompetence, that team appears to be run by the ghost of Al Davis speaking to a dyslexic guy via Ouja bouard.
    HansGruber
    NET Veteran

• MizzouHawkGal wrote:Mods need to merge all the Stevie threads fast. Good move by the 49ers but that contract isn't cheap.

His cap hit is 3 million this year. then 5 million the two years after It's barely anything.... I can't believe the Bills gave him up that cheaply.
    QuickLightning
    NET Rookie

• HansGruber wrote:God, the Bills incompetence is just mind-boggling. WTF is going on in Buffalo?

Further, I hate this deal. Great move by the Niners, giving up only a 3rd/4th next year. The only problem is that now they have to sign Kaepernick, and they just added another WR with an $8.5m cap this year, and $7m next year (according to the contract details I read online - not sure how accurate that is). That's not a ton for such a quality receiver, but it's going to make it harder to get Kaep signed. Overall though, he signed a team-friendly deal in Buffalo, and now SF gets to keep it.

Arrrr!! Seahawks should have been on the horn with Buffalo!

It is curious, though, that the Bills were so eager to dump him. Not only that, they basically gave away the farm for Watkins. Makes you wonder why they were so eager to move on. Probably just typical Bills' incompetence, that team appears to be run by the ghost of Al Davis speaking to a dyslexic guy via Ouja bouard.

Keep in mind the signing bonus is still paid 100% by buffalo. His cap hit is around 3 million this year and 5 million the two years after. Barely anything.
    QuickLightning
    NET Rookie

• m0ng0 wrote:anybody know what this means for the niners salary cap?

http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/5/9/57 ... y-cap-2014

Base: $3,650,000
    Workout Bonus: $275,000
    Cap #: $3,925,000

Base: $5,500,000
    Roster Bonus: $250,000
    Cap #: $6,025,000

Base: $5,850,000
    Cap #: $6,125,000

It's mind boggling that teams deal receivers like that for next to nothing and somehow Santa Clara is the beneficiary.
    Marvin49 wrote:Ok. I have to admit. That's messed up.

You win.
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

• Never would have thought that the Bills picking up Watkins would benefit the Niners in such a way. I really love this pickup and am VERY surprised that the Bills didn't shop around and get a better deal.
    4freakin9
    NET Practice Squad

• Wow. What a steal. I love watching stevie, "why so serious", play.

Bills have a tendency to trade away there good players.
    Opinion has caused more trouble on this little earth than plagues or earthquakes.
    -Voltaire
    HawkMeat
    NET Starter

• Unbelievable. I wonder if the Bills consider this as payback for that shellacking they endured at the hands of the Seahawks a couple of years ago?
    HAWKAMANIA
    NET Starter

• Laloosh wrote:
    m0ng0 wrote:anybody know what this means for the niners salary cap?

http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/5/9/57 ... y-cap-2014

Base: $3,650,000
    Cap #: $3,925,000

Base: $5,500,000
    Roster Bonus: $250,000
    Cap #: $6,025,000

Base: $5,850,000
    Cap #: $6,125,000

It's mind boggling that teams deal receivers like that for next to nothing and somehow Santa Clara is the beneficiary.

Yuck. Especially in light of Carlos Rodgers being a cut (6.6M cap number) it came up all roses for Santa Clara.
    next man up.
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran

• I just heard Mr. Mediocre is a FA next year so guessing this trade factors into that as well.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

Proud member of the 38 club
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

• Yeah, damn.

The NFC West is just going to be a warzone this year. Yikes. Johnson is a stud. And honestly, we haven't even seen what he may be capable of with a decent QB throwing to him. Yet to be seen if Kaep can take advantage but there's no doubt this massively upgrades a weakness for them.
    SirTed
    NET Veteran

• makes me even more excited to see the santa clara 49ers play the oklahoma city seahawks
    lucky49
    NET Practice Squad

• lucky49 wrote:makes me even more excited to see the santa clara 49ers play the oklahoma city seahawks

Might be funnier if it made any sense.
    Marvin49 wrote:Ok. I have to admit. That's messed up.

You win.
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

• Laloosh wrote:
    lucky49 wrote:makes me even more excited to see the santa clara 49ers play the oklahoma city seahawks

Might be funnier if it made any sense.

crap
    lucky49
    NET Practice Squad

• I'm on record in the past as having said Stevie Johnson would be a household WR name if he had a good QB throwing to him. We'll see what he does with Kaepernick.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• 49er roster is so loaded. Their probably going to feel compelled to use 3 or 4 picks for their injured reserve stash.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

• Meh.

They still have good Old One Read throwing the ball.

He can get all the separation he wants, doesn't mean the Spring Breaker is going to see him.

Go Hawks.
    SouthSoundHawk
    NET Veteran

• SouthSoundHawk wrote:Meh.

They still have good Old One Read throwing the ball.

He can get all the separation he wants, doesn't mean the Spring Breaker is going to see him.

I was just about to post something like this. I honestly believe its Kap that is Me-di-ocre. He'll get hurt this year. All scrambling QBs do. Everyone one of them
    ***In Carroll We Trust***
    kthebestwayw
    NET Veteran

• Remember that teams that pass play right into our hands. When Gore or kap runs that was effective against us. Santa Clara passing more is a good thing Upper Santa Clara U.S.C. are banking on harvin being hurt and bowman coming back by mid season and still be the all pro. It takes a year just to stop babying the knee let alone play without fear of that one buckling again. So let Kap throw. We want them to.
    SupersonicSeahawkz
    NET Bench Warmer

• SupersonicSeahawkz wrote:Remember that teams that pass play right into our hands. When Gore or kap runs that was effective against us. Santa Clara passing more is a good thing Upper Santa Clara U.S.C. are banking on harvin being hurt and bowman coming back by mid season and still be the all pro. It takes a year just to stop babying the knee let alone play without fear of that one buckling again. So let Kap throw. We want them to.

Are you guys under the impression the Santa Clara thing is funny?

Just curious.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

• Marvin49 wrote:
    SupersonicSeahawkz wrote:Remember that teams that pass play right into our hands. When Gore or kap runs that was effective against us. Santa Clara passing more is a good thing Upper Santa Clara U.S.C. are banking on harvin being hurt and bowman coming back by mid season and still be the all pro. It takes a year just to stop babying the knee let alone play without fear of that one buckling again. So let Kap throw. We want them to.

Just curious.

It obviously bothers you.

Probably not as much as that Lombardi you guys gifted us last season, but y'all seem pretty butt-hurt nonetheless.

Also, I do find it hilarious how you trolls run and hide after every beatdown. It was so quiet here all summer. Now, you pickup Stevie Johnson and suddenly you're beating your troll chests again.

We are scared, though. Because everyone knows having the best passing game in the history of the NFL is how you beat the Seahawks.

Now, run along little pup. Just don't run over any cyclists or threaten any kids with brass knuckles on your way back to Santa Clara, mkay?
    HansGruber
    NET Veteran

• WilsonMVP wrote:WTF...do the niners have some blackmail on teams when it comes to trading for WRs...

how the hell do they get Johnson for a 4th NEXT year and Boldin for a 6th...are you kidding me? He was a 1000 yard WR from 2010 to 2012 for 3 seasons.

In case you don't remember, a year ago people were laughing at the niners for "only" getting Boldin while the Hawks were gonna get 1000 yards and 10 tds from Harvin.

The niners don't have blackmail, they just made smarter trades. The boldin trade and the johnson trade were/are bith better than the Harvin trade.

The hawks went big and got small results, the niners went medium and got huge results.

I'll take Schneider over Baalke but people need to stop underestimating their front office.
    bjornanderson21
    NET Rookie

• bjornanderson21 wrote:
    WilsonMVP wrote:WTF...do the niners have some blackmail on teams when it comes to trading for WRs...

I agree to a point they have hit big but also loss big on some picks. But that's why everybody is human. And it's easy to armchair the GM or coach thing. But all clubs in the NFCW are going to be deadly

In case you don't remember, a year ago people were laughing at the niners for "only" getting Boldin while the Hawks were gonna get 1000 yards and 10 tds from Harvin.

The niners don't have blackmail, they just made smarter trades. The boldin trade and the johnson trade were/are bith better than the Harvin trade.

The hawks went big and got small results, the niners went medium and got huge results.

I'll take Schneider over Baalke but people need to stop underestimating their front office.
    rlkats
    NET Veteran

• HansGruber wrote:
    Also, I do find it hilarious how you trolls run and hide after every beatdown. It was so quiet here all summer. Now, you pickup Stevie Johnson and suddenly you're beating your troll chests

Exactly.

5_Old_Rings last posted a week ago and once the trade gets made a post within a couple hours. You hit the nail on the head with that observation.
    bigtrain21
    * NET GIF Master *

• RolandDeschain wrote:I'm on record in the past as having said Stevie Johnson would be a household WR name if he had a good QB throwing to him. We'll see what he does with Kaepernick.

I guess that means he still won't be a household name...
    Kennedyin92
    NET Rookie

• HansGruber wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:
    SupersonicSeahawkz wrote:Remember that teams that pass play right into our hands. When Gore or kap runs that was effective against us. Santa Clara passing more is a good thing Upper Santa Clara U.S.C. are banking on harvin being hurt and bowman coming back by mid season and still be the all pro. It takes a year just to stop babying the knee let alone play without fear of that one buckling again. So let Kap throw. We want them to.

Just curious.

Probably not as much as that Lombardi you guys gifted us last season, but y'all seem pretty butt-hurt nonetheless.

Also, I do find it hilarious how you trolls run and hide after every beatdown. It was so quiet here all summer. Now, you pickup Stevie Johnson and suddenly you're beating your troll chests again.

We are scared, though. Because everyone knows having the best passing game in the history of the NFL is how you beat the Seahawks.

Now, run along little pup. Just don't run over any cyclists or threaten any kids with brass knuckles on your way back to Santa Clara, mkay?

lol.

Doesn't bother me at all. I live in SJ which in Santa Clara County. I actually don't like SF too much. Too many peeps who think they are gods gift because they live in SF.

I've just seen a bunch of peeps use that Santa Clara thing like they use Krapperdick or such nonsense.

Kep calling in Santa Clara all you want. Doesn't bother me. :D

Also...run and hide...WTF are you talking about. I left for a few months last year but I was here on the day of the NFCCG to offer gratz and have been on here regularly since.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

• Marvin49 wrote:
    HansGruber wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:

Just curious.

lol.

Doesn't bother me at all. I live in SJ which in Santa Clara County. I actually don't like SF too much. Too many peeps who think they are gods gift because they live in SF.

I've just seen a bunch of peeps use that Santa Clara thing like they use Krapperdick or such nonsense.

Kep calling in Santa Clara all you want. Doesn't bother me. :D

Also...run and hide...WTF are you talking about. I left for a few months last year but I was here on the day of the NFCCG to offer gratz and have been on here regularly since.

Marvin don't bite the bait dude. They are jigging for a big fish. We all gave congrats. But like on our boards stuff like good game or great pick up falls on deaf ears and always turns into some sort of insult. That's all some people have the intelligence to muster. Also this is their board so don't expect much on a one on one congrats. There are good posters that talk ball then there are the ones that can not do anything but talk crap. Just like the Web zone
    rlkats
    NET Veteran

• Marvin49 wrote:Um. Wow.

Didn't see that coming.

Takes some sting off missing out on Odell Beckham, that's for sure.

On the plus side for Seahawks fans, if you want a WR you are more likely to find one. I though the Niners might try to move up for one here high in the second, but now it might leave a Latimer or Lee for you.

Hell the Niners can always move up in the 2nd snd draft a QB. Whoops, was that out loud ?

Seriously, this is a good move for them, but I don't know HOW good. Kaepernick isn't the kind of QB that utilizes 3 or more very good targets; he zones in on his top 2 guys. Look at the games' Vernon Davis dropped off when Crabtree came back.
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran

• Marvin49 wrote:Kep calling in Santa Clara all you want. Doesn't bother me. :D

I saw you here after the Superbowl. You know I'm talking about Niner fans in general. Your entire fanbase is all mouth, and then once they lose the game, they're off hiding again, and bragging about their rings from the 1980's as if anyone other than Niner fans cares about that. It's like bragging about having all the New Kids on the Block albums on cassette.

As to Stevie Johnson... great trade for the 49ers. No doubt about it.

But the games are played during the season. And the 49ers haven't won anything. You all seem to forget who is the Reigning World Champions. Show some respect and save that little boy "yap yap" for the other puppies. This is Big Dog country right here. Y'all are nothin' but pups and you don't scare anyone in Seattle. We've watched the Niners yappin off at the gums for the last 3 years and do NOTHING. Your team isn't even man enough to admit when they get beat down. You haven't earned any respect, and your team is irrelevant to us. We own you. That is fact.

Acquiring a great WR doesn't put you in our league. Winning a championship NOW puts you even with us. Until then, you all keep licking our boots and acting tough. It's good for a laugh.
    HansGruber
    NET Veteran

• bjornanderson21 wrote:
    WilsonMVP wrote:WTF...do the niners have some blackmail on teams when it comes to trading for WRs...

And how'd winning that trade comparison work out?

Harvin has a ring.

Boldin has one but it ain't from the niners.

Harvin is a much longer term trade than Boldin. And Harvin is capable of doing things Boldin can never even imagine. Johnson is a bigger deal. But even Johnson isn't the same as Harvin. Harvin's potential is worth the cost alone.

Also as others have mentioned, the Niners didn't lose to us because of their receivers. They lost cause their QB had turnovers.

Every year, it's the same thing. Our rivals make a move and everyone goes "No! They got better!". Who cares. We are the champs. The Niners have to catch us now. This arms race is over and we won. All the Niners can do now is hope to match our championship. And then the race starts over.
    amill87
    NET Veteran

• Hmmm Are the Niners going to sign Kaep or let him walk Marvin?

The Niners got Johnson because of Sherman. Interesting post I thought I would share:
    "Let me educate the Buffalo haters and west coast football fans who don’t pay attention to the Bills and make snap judgments. Stevie Johnson only cost a 7th rd pick in 2008. In his years here he produced three 1,000 yd seasons. But…. he was aloof, never took a true leadership role, showed immense immaturity on many occasions (dropping OT TD vs Pittsburgh then blaming God, admitting to Jim Rome that he doesn’t work hard to achieve what he has, pretending to shoot himself in leg for TD celebration and many other penalties for excessive celebration). He never seemed to get it. He struggled with a bad groin for two seasons. His salary will be used to pay Sammy Watkins. The pick pays Buffalo back for one of the picks we gave up to acquire Watkins. And to think that this is an even talent for talent swap is insane. Sammy Watkins is an amazing blue chip prospect, way way better than Johnson and a better head on his shoulders. The Buffalo Bills hit a home run here. Putting Watkins with Robert Woods, Mike Williams and Marquise Goodwin is an awesome WR corps with no room for Stevie Johnson. You have been set straight".

If he wasn't even good enough to stave off his competition, I highly doubt he will dominate the NFC West. The Bills were looking to replace him and shipped him off for a fourth IN NEXT YEARS DRAFT. Not a ringing endorsement. Lynch was seen as a malcontent BUT LYNCH HAD A WORK ETHIC, Johnson not so much. Poor work habits admitted by none other than Stevie himself (transcript provided):
    http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2013/2/ ... falo-bills

You can also listen to this tool:

Lazy, choker and a prima donna. The kind of guy John Schneider avoids like the Plague.
    seahawk12thman
    NET Veteran

• HansGruber wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:Kep calling in Santa Clara all you want. Doesn't bother me. :D

I saw you here after the Superbowl. You know I'm talking about Niner fans in general. Your entire fanbase is all mouth, and then once they lose the game, they're off hiding again, and bragging about their rings from the 1980's as if anyone other than Niner fans cares about that. It's like bragging about having all the New Kids on the Block albums on cassette.

As to Stevie Johnson... great trade for the 49ers. No doubt about it.

But the games are played during the season. And the 49ers haven't won anything. You all seem to forget who is the Reigning World Champions. Show some respect and save that little boy "yap yap" for the other puppies. This is Big Dog country right here. Y'all are nothin' but pups and you don't scare anyone in Seattle. We've watched the Niners yappin off at the gums for the last 3 years and do NOTHING. Your team isn't even man enough to admit when they get beat down. You haven't earned any respect, and your team is irrelevant to us. We own you. That is fact.

Acquiring a great WR doesn't put you in our league. Winning a championship NOW puts you even with us. Until then, you all keep licking our boots and acting tough. It's good for a laugh.

man somebody didn't get a nap today hahaha just screwing with ya
    rlkats
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:37 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information