Where would the Raiders go?

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. RATING: PG-13
Where would the Raiders go?
Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:15 pm
  • If they decided that the O.co Coliseum, just can't cut it no more, where in the hell would they go? Simple question out of curiosity.

Can't exactly go back to the LA Coliseum, that is not fit for the NFL in any way, shape, or form.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Re: Where would the Raiders go?
Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:21 pm
  • Maybe they can work out a deal to share that new stadium in Santa Clara?
    "I don't know what you're talking about." GT
    TriCHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:26 pm
  • can't see them ever leaving the state of california with so much history. my assumption is that the NFL would help something along before they would let them be anywhere but oakland or LA.
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:31 pm
  • They'd go to a different kind of black hole.

Rams bet status: honored. Bradford still sucks.
    RedAlice is right.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:58 pm
  • Canada??? Starts with Ca...ends with an a..... or maybe expand into Mexico. They are not too far away maybe??

Or even make them the Reno Raiders. he he he
    Cats will rule the world...just ask my cat.
    Gollum had a ring...Bilbo took it...Frodo had it...Gollum got it back.
    Gollum never had OUR ring.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:31 pm
  • Los Angeles, I would imagine. They might be stuck in the Rose Bowl or something for a couple years while their new stadium in City of Industry or wherever is built.

They do need a new football-only stadium, but who is paying for it? I don't see how it can last in Oakland in the long term.
    "He's a *****. It's not that he was a *****, he is a *****, and that's why he hasn't won anything."
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest

Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:07 pm
  • Santa Clara would be an option maybe a few years down the road as a interim situation, right now they have logistical issues they are still sorting out for the 49 to Lifers, I don't know if they could move to L.A. without a sale really also or a partial anyway, too many hands in stadium deals there already trying to hook a team.

Didn't we have somthing posted about Portland trying to lure them there not long ago, if they built a stadium I wonder if the League would wave that 250 mile rule for Teams footprint and Market. I sure hope not but again were Seattle, a city leagues love to screw.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Used to be an Alumni till they pulled a USC on me...
    .Net official Clueless, Dumbass, Douche, Simpleton, CensoredTard , Idiot, member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:24 pm
  • I was just trying to think of cities with an NFL ready stadium incase something like that happened. I can't think of ONE, maybe San Antonio with the Alamo Dome.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:32 pm
  • They could move to Tracy, California. Its outside SF. They have a prison and it's kind of a dump.... perfect fit!
    90% Disabled Veteran
    100% Love for the USA!
    KPA
    NET Rookie

Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:18 pm
  • KPA wrote:They could move to Tracy, California. Its outside SF. They have a prison and it's kind of a dump.... perfect fit!

Thats for that other Bay area team.

.Net official Clueless, Dumbass, Douche, Simpleton, CensoredTard , Idiot, member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:36 pm

Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:10 am
  • TriCHawk wrote:Maybe they can work out a deal to share that new stadium in Santa Clara?

I believe they missed their chance at that and the Niners prefer it that way.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:40 am
  • Redding Raiders.. has a whispy sound to it. ;)
    ImageImageImage

"You kept believing, you kept fighting, you kept clawing and scratching
    and look what you freakin' did. Put that freakin' trophy up again!" - Pete Carroll
    tom sawyer
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:26 pm
  • Portland!!!!!!
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:52 pm
  • They should just share the new stadium with the whiners, same fan base anyways. raider fans = whiner fans and vice versa.
    42-13, 29-3, and 23-17 and a Lombardi trophy from THIS millennium.....deal with it niner trolls

SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:51 am
  • IMO once the league gets one, perhaps two teams into the LA area, they'll start looking to expand internationally. We of all people should not wish to have a franchise in Portland because it hurts Seattle as it cuts into our market. The league would be creating two small markets out of one mid sized one.

Same goes for Orlando. Florida already has an over saturated market with 3 teams in the state. CFB and NASCAR compete with the NFL like no other area of the country. The new stadium in Orlando doesn't hardly look to be to NFL standards as the price tag, less than $250M when the costs of new NFL stadiums, even ones without roofs, are approaching $1B. Heck, our place, which is 12 years old, cost over $400M.

They won't put a team into Mexico City simply because it's a poor country with was has been a virtual civil war going on with drug gangs running rampant. Toronto would be an option, except that the league has maintained a hands off Canada approach in order to preserve the viability of the CFL.

Once they achieve their goal of returning the NFL to the country's 2nd largest market, the league will turn their eyes to across the pond.
    RiverDog
    NET Veteran

Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:33 am
  • ↑ A team in Europe is a horrible idea. A team in Canada is almost as bad but not quite. Outside of taxes etc and the overall disinterest for our game the travel would make it the Mariners of the NFL.

As far as Portland I dont there TV so I dont know what the market is like. I do know all Blazers games not brodcast nationally are blacked out here. Thats even if you purchase a premium package. Plus I dont know within the last year but Portland has been a Niner town with a ton of Packer fans. Plus its the NFL and its now. They can both support soccer teams witj record attendances. I dont see how football couldnt.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:39 am
  • USC has a deal in place to renovate the Coliseum with $150 million. Their AD recently floated the idea of charging $4,000 per seat to each season-ticket holder to help pay for the renovations.
    hawknation2014
    NET Veteran

Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:49 am
  • I think Oakland will build a stadium that both A's /Raiders can use..Unless they want to lose both..
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:26 pm
  • IndyHawk wrote:I think Oakland will build a stadium that both A's /Raiders can use..Unless they want to lose both..

Multi purpose stadiums went out of vogue with the leisure suit. Football and baseball simply are not compatible, especially if a team like the Raiders want to compete with the new digs the Niners have down in Santa Clara. Besides, stadium revenue is one of the few revenue streams in the NFL that doesn't have to be shared. Any owner of any NFL team is not going to want to share revenue generated from the stadium with another major tenant. The desire to get away from having to share stadiums with MLB teams was a major motivation in this past rush over the last 25 years or so to upgrade facilities.

I agree that putting a team in London, or anywhere else across the pond, is a horrible idea. Can you imagine trying to attract free agents if you're the only team within 4,000 miles? IMO the only way it's going to work is if they can get an entire division over there, but I can't see how that's going to work, either. But they're going to try. Our money hungry owners have an insatiable desire for the almighty dollar, and the US market is virtually tapped out.
    RiverDog
    NET Veteran

Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:44 pm
  • I doubt the NFL wants to cannibalize the Houston market, but San Antonio would knock down the Alamodome and build another stadium there on the spot if they knew someone wanted to bring an NFL team there. SA and LV seem like the most obvious cities in the states to get a look after Los Angeles.

If the NFL wants to expand to different countries, which I find unnecessary, they should theoretically start with Canada and Mexico, but as someone said, Mexico is a violent mess right now, as great an opportunity as Mexico City might otherwise be. In terms of Canada, Toronto, Vancouver, and a Quebec team in Montreal or Quebec City all seem like decent options if the NFL decides to barge right on in and shove the CFL out of the way.
    "He's a *****. It's not that he was a *****, he is a *****, and that's why he hasn't won anything."
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest

Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:30 pm
  • Smelly McUgly wrote:I doubt the NFL wants to cannibalize the Houston market, but San Antonio would knock down the Alamodome and build another stadium there on the spot if they knew someone wanted to bring an NFL team there. SA and LV seem like the most obvious cities in the states to get a look after Los Angeles.

If the NFL wants to expand to different countries, which I find unnecessary, they should theoretically start with Canada and Mexico, but as someone said, Mexico is a violent mess right now, as great an opportunity as Mexico City might otherwise be. In terms of Canada, Toronto, Vancouver, and a Quebec team in Montreal or Quebec City all seem like decent options if the NFL decides to barge right on in and shove the CFL out of the way.

The NFL would have some tricky business to negotiate if they put a team in Las Vegas. State law there prohibits betting on any in state team. It's also a very small market, one of the smallest in the nation. I know that San Antonio wants a football team very badly, and they were one of the places rumored to be a landing spot for the Saints prior to Hurricane Katrina and the re-commitment of the NFL to the Big Easy. But you're right, the league, especially Jerry Jones, would not want to dice up the Texas market.

IMO 32 teams is just about perfect. You'd have to expand all the way to 36 or 40 teams if you wanted to get to an optimum number and still keep in equitable for scheduling and playoff formatting. With the exception of LA, they have all the major markets covered. All this talk about expanding internationally is driven almost entirely by greed. NFL Europe failed miserably, yet the owners are insistent in their claim that people in that part of the world are hungry for American football. It's a curiosity with those folks over there, not bred into them by participation in the high schools and colleges like we have here in the States. No way will they buy all the hats and jerseys in the qualities we do, or watch games to the tune of 9-12 hours a week like we do.
    RiverDog
    NET Veteran

Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:34 pm
  • Send the Cardinals back to St. Louis.

Send the Rams back to Los Angeles.

Send the Jaguars to Arizona.

Keep the Raiders in Oakland.
    NINEster
    NET Rookie

Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:51 pm
  • NINEster wrote:Send the Cardinals back to St. Louis.

Send the Rams back to Los Angeles.

Send the Jaguars to Arizona.

Keep the Raiders in Oakland.

I agree..Never understood why the Cards/Rams left their cities to begin with but then again didn't the Cards come from Chicago before St.Louis?Imagine if they went back..Bears would lose half their fans lol..
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:09 pm
  • I'd rather the Cards stay in Phoenix because it's closer to Seattle, unless they were to move the Jags to the NFC West. Otherwise, I'd be happy with that.
    RedAlice is right.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:31 pm
  • Believe me, The Raiders would do well here in L.A. People still wear Raider shit and plaster it all over the place.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:55 pm
  • Phoenix is not a football town. They don't have the hard core fans that grew up loving their team like we do and like fan bases in places like Denver and Green Bay. As one friend of mine put it, in Phoenix everybody is from somewhere else. But I don't see them moving anytime soon. Bidwell got what he wanted in the form of a top rate stadium.

St. Louis could very well end up back in LA. Their owner bought up enough prime real estate in So Cal in case he can't come to terms with St. Louis's pols.
    RiverDog
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:42 am
  • Largent80 wrote:Believe me, The Raiders would do well here in L.A. People still wear Raider shit and plaster it all over the place.

Raiders should've never left, LA loved that team.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:51 am
  • TriCHawk wrote:Maybe they can work out a deal to share that new stadium in Santa Clara?

Levis Stadium was actually built with 2 home locker rooms (3 total) in order to host a second home team. The 49ers have approached the Raiders on it on several occasions but Tommy Boy (Mark Davis) isn't interested. My take? Major inferiority complex.

He may even have to sell the team because when his mother dies he'll owe more inheritance tax than he can afford to pay. All Davis was never an extremely rich man.

The smartest play would probably be for them to play at Levis on an interim basis, which is why I think he won't do that and end up in the sewage ridden Coliseum for a few more decades.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:11 am
  • Marvin49 wrote:
    TriCHawk wrote:Maybe they can work out a deal to share that new stadium in Santa Clara?

Levis Stadium was actually built with 2 home locker rooms (3 total) in order to host a second home team. The 49ers have approached the Raiders on it on several occasions but Tommy Boy (Mark Davis) isn't interested. My take? Major inferiority complex.

He may even have to sell the team because when his mother dies he'll owe more inheritance tax than he can afford to pay. All Davis was never an extremely rich man.

The smartest play would probably be for them to play at Levis on an interim basis, which is why I think he won't do that and end up in the sewage ridden Coliseum for a few more decades.

The Raiders are going to go somewhere. They are leasing the Oakland Mausoleum on a year-to-year basis and Davis has been quoted recently as saying he's getting impatient with Oakland officials, but they're having trouble with financing as it just isn't penciling out for them. Last thing I read indicated that there was a $500M shortfall of what had to be made up from private financing. There isn't as much money in the Oakland slums as there is in the south bay. But the Chargers might beat them to LA as they, too, are leasing their digs on a year-to-year basis.

The team I can't figure out is the Chargers. With San Diego's year round weather climate and various other attractions, a Jerry Jones-style stadium would attract Super Bowls, Final Fours, College NC games, NYD bowl games. If an NFL quality stadium can't be justified in that location, with a team already in place, I can't see how it could be justified anywhere else in the country.
    RiverDog
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:34 am
  • RiverDog wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:
    TriCHawk wrote:Maybe they can work out a deal to share that new stadium in Santa Clara?

The Raiders are going to go somewhere. They are leasing the Oakland Mausoleum on a year-to-year basis and Davis has been quoted recently as saying he's getting impatient with Oakland officials, but they're having trouble with financing as it just isn't penciling out for them. Last thing I read indicated that there was a $500M shortfall of what had to be made up from private financing. There isn't as much money in the Oakland slums as there is in the south bay. But the Chargers might beat them to LA as they, too, are leasing their digs on a year-to-year basis.

The team I can't figure out is the Chargers. With San Diego's year round weather climate and various other attractions, a Jerry Jones-style stadium would attract Super Bowls, Final Fours, College NC games, NYD bowl games. If an NFL quality stadium can't be justified in that location, with a team already in place, I can't see how it could be justified anywhere else in the country.

Good post and I agree - the Raiders are going somewhere, however one aspect is that Mark Davis owns only 47% of the team, so unless the minority ownership groups decide to sell, there is not much he can do if he still wants to own control of the team.

The LA Threat is an interesting one, whereas I don't believe a team will move to LA unless one of the stadium groups (Roski or Anshutz) gains control of a team. I believe the NFL likes having LA as an open market for leverage for other cities to get stadium deals. Hell, look what happened with your Seahawks in the late 1990s, and what is currently going on with San Diego, Oakland, and St Louis.

To answer the OPs question, where are they going to go? It appears they are stuck in Oakland for the time being.
    candyman4881
    NET Practice Squad

Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:55 pm
  • RiverDog wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:

Yes, but its really an empty threat. He has nowhere to go.

As for SD, all I can say is that Levis Stadium is something of a miracle. Its nearly impossible to get a stadium built in California. Levis is the first pro football stadium built here in nearly 50 years. Theres a reason for that. I think Tommy Boy needs to get over his ego and look into sharing Levis on an interim basis. I say that as Niner fan who DOES NOT want the Raiders in that building, but its the only thing that makes sense...which is why he won't do it.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:33 pm
  • RiverDog wrote:IMO once the league gets one, perhaps two teams into the LA area, they'll start looking to expand internationally. We of all people should not wish to have a franchise in Portland because it hurts Seattle as it cuts into our market. The league would be creating two small markets out of one mid sized one.

Same goes for Orlando. Florida already has an over saturated market with 3 teams in the state. CFB and NASCAR compete with the NFL like no other area of the country. The new stadium in Orlando doesn't hardly look to be to NFL standards as the price tag, less than $250M when the costs of new NFL stadiums, even ones without roofs, are approaching $1B. Heck, our place, which is 12 years old, cost over $400M.

RiverDog, I think you missed what was actually said about the Orlando Stadium. No one is proposing it would be the new home of the Raiders. The Stadium renovation (really, a re-construction) intends to be a possibility to offer a neutral site location for Pre-Season games only. If you watch Pre-Season, notice the empty stands. The idea of pre-season games in select neutral sites might not be such a bad idea. So, no need to state a case against. I actually posted the whole thing somewhat as a joke. But, they really are renovating (reconstructing) that old stadium for specific purposes. By next year, it will host 3 college bowl games among the expanded use plans. (It was also the stadium used in the filming of "The Water Boy." So, there you go ... it would be futile to suggest it's not up to standards. ;) )
    World Champion
    Seattle Seahawks
    TeamoftheCentury
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:39 pm
  • Marvin49 wrote:Yes, but its really an empty threat. He has nowhere to go.

Could they re-construct Alcatraz into a Football Venue?
    World Champion
    Seattle Seahawks
    TeamoftheCentury
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:42 pm
  • TeamoftheCentury wrote:Could they re-construct Alcatraz into a Football Venue?

Not to derail making fun of 'em, but I think having an NFL stadium on Alcatraz would actually be pretty damned awesome.
    RedAlice is right.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:10 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    TeamoftheCentury wrote:Could they re-construct Alcatraz into a Football Venue?

Not to derail making fun of 'em, but I think having an NFL stadium on Alcatraz would actually be pretty damned awesome.

The transportation and logistics would be a nightmare though. :sarcasm_on: I do think as some point the Rams will move back to Los Angeles .
    43-8...it's all about that action boss....
    next man up.
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:11 pm
  • MizzouHawkGal wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:

The transportation and logistics would be a nightmare though. :sarcasm_on: I do think as some point the Rams will move back to Los Angeles .

Keep in mind their fans would be eligible for a one-way ticket. ;)
    World Champion
    Seattle Seahawks
    TeamoftheCentury
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:16 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:

:229031_cheers:
    World Champion
    Seattle Seahawks
    TeamoftheCentury
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:08 am
  • TeamoftheCentury wrote:RiverDog, I think you missed what was actually said about the Orlando Stadium. No one is proposing it would be the new home of the Raiders. The Stadium renovation (really, a re-construction) intends to be a possibility to offer a neutral site location for Pre-Season games only. If you watch Pre-Season, notice the empty stands. The idea of pre-season games in select neutral sites might not be such a bad idea. So, no need to state a case against. I actually posted the whole thing somewhat as a joke. But, they really are renovating (reconstructing) that old stadium for specific purposes. By next year, it will host 3 college bowl games among the expanded use plans. (It was also the stadium used in the filming of "The Water Boy." So, there you go ... it would be futile to suggest it's not up to standards. ;) )

You see a lot of empty seats, but in most cases, those are seats that the team has already fleeced the fans for. Season tickets come with the requirement that they buy those seats for the two home preseason games. It's one of the reasons I dropped my season tickets 20 years ago, because I couldn't give away those preseason game tickets. Selling 60,000 seats at a neutral stadium without the benefit of the season ticket holder's requirement to buy at lest 3/4 of them would be a monumental challenge for any area, let alone the Orlando-Tampa area where there are a thousand places to spend your money other than go watch a glorified football scrimmage.
    RiverDog
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:23 am
  • candyman4881 wrote:Good post and I agree - the Raiders are going somewhere, however one aspect is that Mark Davis owns only 47% of the team, so unless the minority ownership groups decide to sell, there is not much he can do if he still wants to own control of the team.

The LA Threat is an interesting one, whereas I don't believe a team will move to LA unless one of the stadium groups (Roski or Anshutz) gains control of a team. I believe the NFL likes having LA as an open market for leverage for other cities to get stadium deals. Hell, look what happened with your Seahawks in the late 1990s, and what is currently going on with San Diego, Oakland, and St Louis.

To answer the OPs question, where are they going to go? It appears they are stuck in Oakland for the time being.

Very true. LA has been used as a threat for the past two plus decades, and indeed, it was the biggest single reason for the passage of the referendum that built our venue back in the mid 90's. Minnesota was the most recent victim of the league's use of the LA hammer. It's a lot more viable threat than moving to Portland.

But the league will return to LA some day, whether it be the Raiders, the Chargers, the Rams, or some other team. It's amazing that they've gone this long without a team.
    RiverDog
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:03 am
  • Rams belong in LA in my opinion, however, you can't even believe all the Raider stuff I see down here.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:21 am
  • Oklahoma City
    kigenzun
    NET Starter

Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:04 am
  • RiverDog wrote:
    TeamoftheCentury wrote:RiverDog, I think you missed what was actually said about the Orlando Stadium. No one is proposing it would be the new home of the Raiders. The Stadium renovation (really, a re-construction) intends to be a possibility to offer a neutral site location for Pre-Season games only. If you watch Pre-Season, notice the empty stands. The idea of pre-season games in select neutral sites might not be such a bad idea. So, no need to state a case against. I actually posted the whole thing somewhat as a joke. But, they really are renovating (reconstructing) that old stadium for specific purposes. By next year, it will host 3 college bowl games among the expanded use plans. (It was also the stadium used in the filming of "The Water Boy." So, there you go ... it would be futile to suggest it's not up to standards. ;) )

You see a lot of empty seats, but in most cases, those are seats that the team has already fleeced the fans for. Season tickets come with the requirement that they buy those seats for the two home preseason games. It's one of the reasons I dropped my season tickets 20 years ago, because I couldn't give away those preseason game tickets. Selling 60,000 seats at a neutral stadium without the benefit of the season ticket holder's requirement to buy at lest 3/4 of them would be a monumental challenge for any area, let alone the Orlando-Tampa area where there are a thousand places to spend your money other than go watch a glorified football scrimmage.

Sure, I understand about the empty seats and that is certainly a good point. Not intending to make a strong argument for Pre-Season FB in Orlando. So, don't get me wrong. Again, I wasn't being totally serious about it when I presented it in this thread. I was merely reporting that there are stadiums like this that will be equipped to possibly host a neutral site game AND that is a specifically mentioned intended use for the re-construction of the Citrus Bowl stadium. Also, college games. For example, there's been talk of Notre Dame (and others) playing a game here (even though one of the Top College Football teams in the country, Fiesta Bowl Champion University of Central Florida Knights, are here as well. That program is a sleeping giant that has awoken. But, that's another conversation.)

Neutral site games are happening. Why? It's part of a longer term strategy to increase the popularity of the sport. Otherwise, why would they even bother in London, etc.

But... hearing ideas thrown around this area, if it ever become a possibility of this city getting an NFL team (which there is interest), they wouldn't be only pitching this stadium's re-construction. There would be further improvements as part of making that happen.

Too, don't underestimate the popularity of such an event (Pre-Season NFL) in Orlando/Central Florida. All sorts of clever marketing and money-making things could be done. You would be surprised at how many out of towners (actually, many from out of country) come into this city and include an often meaningless Orlando Magic game. I get to see that first hand. Deals get packaged with the other popular options. That might be a strong reason WHY a pre-season game might just work here. If they offer great package deals to visit Orlando (Disney, etc.) and also see your team play an otherwise meaningless Pre-Season game, maybe there are those who would look at it as an excuse to hit the beach, etc. - and "complaining" all the way about it. "Ah man, I gotta travel to Florida to see a Pre-Season game and go to the beach and theme parks for a week. I might as well add a Cruise to that since we're going" sort of thing.

They will "fleece" (if you look at it that way) season ticket holders no matter what. (Personally, if I had season tickets to the Seahawks... I wouldn't be anything but grateful. But, maybe that's just me. If that's one reason you gave up your season tickets 20 years - 2 measly pre-season games, I think that must be one reason you are now regretting that decision.) But, I get it. It's tough for some to stay behind a team when they're not winning.

Anyway... (as far as da Raiders) perhaps the Alcatraz idea gains some momentum. Perhaps Roland is already pitching the idea to investors as I type. ;)

Hope this clarifies to your satisfaction. Again, I understand your points and please realize I wasn't intending to offer a completely serious solution to where the Raiders will end up.
    World Champion
    Seattle Seahawks
    TeamoftheCentury
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:27 pm
  • Look at it this way, on Alcatraz they could recruit from the nations prisons, pay peanuts and have long term contracts without the worry of FA.

chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:27 pm
  • They should build a stadium in SF, and rename themselves the SF Raiders, like the Warriors are planning to do. That would really stick it to the Santa Clara Niners.
    hawknation2014
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:00 am
  • TeamoftheCentury wrote:Sure, I understand about the empty seats and that is certainly a good point. Not intending to make a strong argument for Pre-Season FB in Orlando. So, don't get me wrong. Again, I wasn't being totally serious about it when I presented it in this thread. I was merely reporting that there are stadiums like this that will be equipped to possibly host a neutral site game AND that is a specifically mentioned intended use for the re-construction of the Citrus Bowl stadium. Also, college games. For example, there's been talk of Notre Dame (and others) playing a game here (even though one of the Top College Football teams in the country, Fiesta Bowl Champion University of Central Florida Knights, are here as well. That program is a sleeping giant that has awoken. But, that's another conversation.)

Neutral site games are happening. Why? It's part of a longer term strategy to increase the popularity of the sport. Otherwise, why would they even bother in London, etc.

But... hearing ideas thrown around this area, if it ever become a possibility of this city getting an NFL team (which there is interest), they wouldn't be only pitching this stadium's re-construction. There would be further improvements as part of making that happen.

Too, don't underestimate the popularity of such an event (Pre-Season NFL) in Orlando/Central Florida. All sorts of clever marketing and money-making things could be done. You would be surprised at how many out of towners (actually, many from out of country) come into this city and include an often meaningless Orlando Magic game. I get to see that first hand. Deals get packaged with the other popular options. That might be a strong reason WHY a pre-season game might just work here. If they offer great package deals to visit Orlando (Disney, etc.) and also see your team play an otherwise meaningless Pre-Season game, maybe there are those who would look at it as an excuse to hit the beach, etc. - and "complaining" all the way about it. "Ah man, I gotta travel to Florida to see a Pre-Season game and go to the beach and theme parks for a week. I might as well add a Cruise to that since we're going" sort of thing.

They will "fleece" (if you look at it that way) season ticket holders no matter what. (Personally, if I had season tickets to the Seahawks... I wouldn't be anything but grateful. But, maybe that's just me. If that's one reason you gave up your season tickets 20 years - 2 measly pre-season games, I think that must be one reason you are now regretting that decision.) But, I get it. It's tough for some to stay behind a team when they're not winning.

Anyway... (as far as da Raiders) perhaps the Alcatraz idea gains some momentum. Perhaps Roland is already pitching the idea to investors as I type. ;)

Hope this clarifies to your satisfaction. Again, I understand your points and please realize I wasn't intending to offer a completely serious solution to where the Raiders will end up.

Neutral site games are happening in London because it's an untapped market. The NFL is already in every major market in the country except LA, so there's no need to advertise the game here in the states.

The NFL did used to hold preseason games in neutral fields, though. The first NFL game I ever saw, well before the Seahawks were born, was in Spokane when the NFL 49'ers played the AFL Denver Broncos. But back then, they had 6 preseason games. Personally, I'd love to see them going back to holding some preseason games at neutral sites, places like Boise and Salt Lake City, areas where it's a hike to get to an NFL city and quit ripping off season ticket holder by charging them full price for those glorified scrimmages.
    RiverDog
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:38 am
  • I love the idea of the Raiders playing on Alcatraz ...No need for parking- make a $killing$ off of ferry boats or helicopters taking people there..It would fund to preserve the main prison for lifetimes..Great idea!
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:51 am
  • RiverDog wrote:Neutral site games are happening in London because it's an untapped market. The NFL is already in every major market in the country except LA, so there's no need to advertise the game here in the states.

So, you think there's no point in continuing to promote their product? Sounds like we look at the same mountain from different sides on this topic. Ah well.

But, you haven't yet commented on the pros and cons, challenges, obstacles, benefits, etc. of the Raiders taking up residence on Alcatraz? :snack:
    World Champion
    Seattle Seahawks
    TeamoftheCentury
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:56 am
  • IndyHawk wrote:I love the idea of the Raiders playing on Alcatraz ...No need for parking- make a $killing$ off of ferry boats or helicopters taking people there..It would fund to preserve the main prison for lifetimes..Great idea!

This is gaining steam. Call Donald Trump?
    World Champion
    Seattle Seahawks
    TeamoftheCentury
    NET Veteran

Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:25 am
  • TeamoftheCentury wrote:
    RiverDog wrote:Neutral site games are happening in London because it's an untapped market. The NFL is already in every major market in the country except LA, so there's no need to advertise the game here in the states.

So, you think there's no point in continuing to promote their product? Sounds like we look at the same mountain from different sides on this topic. Ah well.

But, you haven't yet commented on the pros and cons, challenges, obstacles, benefits, etc. of the Raiders taking up residence on Alcatraz? :snack:

Yea, I think the US market is pretty much tapped out. The NFL is already far and away the most popular sport in the nation as far as overall interest goes, at least once they get done pussifying the sport to make it more acceptable to women. There's not much more juice that can be squeezed out of the orange.

As far as the Raiders playing on Alcatraz, I thought they already were playing there.
    RiverDog
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:47 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information