Rams Draft

Giddyup

Reaction score
What two players do you hope the Rams DON'T end up with? With picks at #2 and #13, the Rams could gain some ground in the NFC West.

getnasty

Reaction score
volsunghawk":136gsb0v said:
I want the Rams to stay far, far away from Clowney.

I'd also prefer that they don't try and draft a QB and yoke themselves to Bradford long-term.
Johnny Football and Sammy Watkins for some reason and I couldn't tell you why Clowney just doesn't scare me.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
I could see them getting Clowney and Mike Evans, and that would scare me quite a lot. But less than if they went Manziel/Bortles/Bridgewater and Mike Evans.

Put a good QB in that team and they are scarier than the 49ers.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
I hope they stick to taking OL and don't get Clowney or a QB. Clowney just allows them to keep chugging along once Chris Long leaves/gets old. A QB would actually make them a legit threat to win the NFCW. I still can't believe Snead and Fisher are probably sticking with Sam Bradford.

12th_Bob

Reaction score
Clowney, just no, like Clowney/Long/Quinn is a ferocious pass rush. I hate reading mocks saying that the Rams would be smart to not draft Clowney, like what are you smoking? With Clowney they have a cheap out from Long's contract and with all 3 that is good rotational depth, plus what if Clowney is actually better than Long and Quinn? Suddenly a great pass rush is entering all-time territory and you have to protect yourself from injury.

Scary thought, later I'm not sure, but what if Manziel does fall that far? I know they will probably go OT right there but if I were them and a QB was sitting there I'd take him and dump that crappy Bradford contract ASAP.

kearly

Reaction score
getnasty":2kxeh7ca said:
volsunghawk":2kxeh7ca said:
I want the Rams to stay far, far away from Clowney.

I'd also prefer that they don't try and draft a QB and yoke themselves to Bradford long-term.
Johnny Football and Sammy Watkins for some reason and I couldn't tell you why Clowney just doesn't scare me.

I was about to give this same answer word for word.

Clowney could maybe be another Julius Peppers, but they already have Robert Quinn and Chris Long. Unless they invent a 3 DE defense that strikes me as less than efficient. Long probably still has 3-4 years left of good/great football in him. You could probably trade Long for a fraction of his worth and save money, but the whole point of having a pick like that is upgrading the roster. There are smarter ways to save a buck. There is also a lot of risk in ditching a proven star for an unproven prospect. Clowney is big and athletic, but he is not a sure thing.

They would never draft Clowney anyway, they'd obviously sell the pick to get extra draft ammo as teams like the Falcons and Bucs are desperate for pass rusher help. Ka-Ching.

Watkins is a STUD. Julio Jones caliber. Manziel would give them what they need at QB, the kind of mobile non-traditional QB that would stand a chance against Seattle's style of D. Pocket passers are getting killed by Seattle these days, and the common link between the few QBs who who have success against Seattle is their ability to keep plays alive with their feet.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I am more worried about what they are going to get for selling that 2 pick than who they will take with it.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2ajv592k said:
I am more worried about what they are going to get for selling that 2 pick than who they will take with it.
That concerns you more than if they were to draft Bridgewater, as an example?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2wfmadr5 said:
Scottemojo":2wfmadr5 said:

Absolutely. They aren't taking a QB at 2, the one they have put up good numbers last year til he got hurt. They don't want Clowney because they have Quinn and Long. That pick has been for sale since the season ended.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
There's a good chance they sell it, no doubt, but I think what hurts the Seahawks the most is if they draft a QB at #2.

I don't think they will do it, but let's face it, Bradford's not going to wreck us of his own accord despite the seeming improvement he showed a bit last year.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":31xsw52n said:
RolandDeschain":31xsw52n said:
Scottemojo":31xsw52n said:

Absolutely. They aren't taking a QB at 2, the one they have put up good numbers last year til he got hurt. They don't want Clowney because they have Quinn and Long. That pick has been for sale since the season ended.

I know people question Clowney, but I just remember how our pass rush looked when we were able to trot Avril, Clemons, and Bennett out on the field at the same time. The Rams pass rush is already among the best in the league, and if they added another piece that allowed, say, Quinn to move inside... I think it could be devastating. Plus, it would give them insurance against Long being injured and leverage for a restructure down the road. And though Clowney may have motivation issues, I think the Rams' D-line coach has done a damn good job with the guys he has.

I agree that the pick is likely for sale, but I'd be willing to bet that they're having some long conversations about Clowney in St. Louis right now.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
volsunghawk":2ntcmqpc said:
Scottemojo":2ntcmqpc said:
RolandDeschain":2ntcmqpc said:
Scottemojo":2ntcmqpc said:

I know people question Clowney, but I just remember how our pass rush looked when we were able to trot Avril, Clemons, and Bennett out on the field at the same time. The Rams pass rush is already among the best in the league, and if they added another piece that allowed, say, Quinn to move inside... I think it could be devastating. Plus, it would give them insurance against Long being injured and leverage for a restructure down the road. And though Clowney may have motivation issues, I think the Rams' D-line coach has done a damn good job with the guys he has.

I agree that the pick is likely for sale, but I'd be willing to bet that they're having some long conversations about Clowney in St. Louis right now.
I am sure they are. But I am also sure those conversations include how much of their cap would be tied up in the D-line between Brockers, Long, Clowner, and Quinn in about 2 years.

Were they to actually draft at spot 2, the one I fear is Sammy Watkins.

CaptBennett

Reaction score
I think they have their eyes on a TE for their second first round pick. For their first pick, I'm not sure, could be a OL, RE, or QB.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
It still amazes me that Washington ended up with the second worst record in the NFL despite having almost nothing to gain by tanking. What a franchise.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1yvycm7m said:

This. I've seen rumors the Browns are all in on Manziel. They could potentially offer up #4, 26 and their 2nd to the Rams. That would leave them with 3 firsts and 2 seconds in a deep draft.

3Girls'HawkDad

Reaction score
As long as they stay away from a QB, I am happy. Adding an OLineman won't do much (don't see a HOFer), adding Clowney is redundant and going wideout is a thought, but Bradford will still throw to the outlet 3 yards down field.

HunnyBadger

Reaction score
Johnny Manziel and Greg Robinson

I still think Tavon Austin is a dangerous weapon. The style of offense just doesn't suit Bradford+Tavon. But it would be dangerous to have Tavon getting open when Manziel is playing backyard football.

Robinson is going to open huge holes for the team that drafts him. I much more concerned about Stacy as a running back than I ever was of Jackson. Stacy seems more like a low to the ground slippery RB, sorta like Frank Gore.