Rams Draft

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. RATING: PG-13
Rams Draft
Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:33 am
  • What two players do you hope the Rams DON'T end up with? With picks at #2 and #13, the Rams could gain some ground in the NFC West.
    Giddyup
    NET Bench Warmer

Re: Rams Draft
Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:57 am
  • I want the Rams to stay far, far away from Clowney.

I'd also prefer that they don't try and draft a QB and yoke themselves to Bradford long-term.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:27 am
  • volsunghawk wrote:I want the Rams to stay far, far away from Clowney.

I'd also prefer that they don't try and draft a QB and yoke themselves to Bradford long-term.

Johnny Football and Sammy Watkins for some reason and I couldn't tell you why Clowney just doesn't scare me.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:35 am
  • I could see them getting Clowney and Mike Evans, and that would scare me quite a lot. But less than if they went Manziel/Bortles/Bridgewater and Mike Evans.

Put a good QB in that team and they are scarier than the 49ers.
    SomersetHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:26 am
  • I hope they avoid O-line and QB in the first round.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:38 am
  • All kickers
    "Pete Carroll brings in great elves...and they make the best presents."
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:53 am
  • I hope they stick to taking OL and don't get Clowney or a QB. Clowney just allows them to keep chugging along once Chris Long leaves/gets old. A QB would actually make them a legit threat to win the NFCW. I still can't believe Snead and Fisher are probably sticking with Sam Bradford.
    "He's a *****. It's not that he was a *****, he is a *****, and that's why he hasn't won anything."
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest

Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:46 am
  • Clowney, just no, like Clowney/Long/Quinn is a ferocious pass rush. I hate reading mocks saying that the Rams would be smart to not draft Clowney, like what are you smoking? With Clowney they have a cheap out from Long's contract and with all 3 that is good rotational depth, plus what if Clowney is actually better than Long and Quinn? Suddenly a great pass rush is entering all-time territory and you have to protect yourself from injury.

Scary thought, later I'm not sure, but what if Manziel does fall that far? I know they will probably go OT right there but if I were them and a QB was sitting there I'd take him and dump that crappy Bradford contract ASAP.
    NFL, all your Owlz are belong to us!
    12th_Bob
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:25 am
  • getnasty wrote:
    volsunghawk wrote:I want the Rams to stay far, far away from Clowney.

Johnny Football and Sammy Watkins for some reason and I couldn't tell you why Clowney just doesn't scare me.

I was about to give this same answer word for word.

Clowney could maybe be another Julius Peppers, but they already have Robert Quinn and Chris Long. Unless they invent a 3 DE defense that strikes me as less than efficient. Long probably still has 3-4 years left of good/great football in him. You could probably trade Long for a fraction of his worth and save money, but the whole point of having a pick like that is upgrading the roster. There are smarter ways to save a buck. There is also a lot of risk in ditching a proven star for an unproven prospect. Clowney is big and athletic, but he is not a sure thing.

They would never draft Clowney anyway, they'd obviously sell the pick to get extra draft ammo as teams like the Falcons and Bucs are desperate for pass rusher help. Ka-Ching.

Watkins is a STUD. Julio Jones caliber. Manziel would give them what they need at QB, the kind of mobile non-traditional QB that would stand a chance against Seattle's style of D. Pocket passers are getting killed by Seattle these days, and the common link between the few QBs who who have success against Seattle is their ability to keep plays alive with their feet.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:56 am
  • I am more worried about what they are going to get for selling that 2 pick than who they will take with it.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:00 pm
  • Scottemojo wrote:I am more worried about what they are going to get for selling that 2 pick than who they will take with it.

That concerns you more than if they were to draft Bridgewater, as an example?
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:37 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    Scottemojo wrote:I am more worried about what they are going to get for selling that 2 pick than who they will take with it.

Absolutely. They aren't taking a QB at 2, the one they have put up good numbers last year til he got hurt. They don't want Clowney because they have Quinn and Long. That pick has been for sale since the season ended.
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:41 pm
  • There's a good chance they sell it, no doubt, but I think what hurts the Seahawks the most is if they draft a QB at #2.

I don't think they will do it, but let's face it, Bradford's not going to wreck us of his own accord despite the seeming improvement he showed a bit last year.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:50 pm
  • Scottemojo wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:
    Scottemojo wrote:I am more worried about what they are going to get for selling that 2 pick than who they will take with it.

Absolutely. They aren't taking a QB at 2, the one they have put up good numbers last year til he got hurt. They don't want Clowney because they have Quinn and Long. That pick has been for sale since the season ended.

I know people question Clowney, but I just remember how our pass rush looked when we were able to trot Avril, Clemons, and Bennett out on the field at the same time. The Rams pass rush is already among the best in the league, and if they added another piece that allowed, say, Quinn to move inside... I think it could be devastating. Plus, it would give them insurance against Long being injured and leverage for a restructure down the road. And though Clowney may have motivation issues, I think the Rams' D-line coach has done a damn good job with the guys he has.

I agree that the pick is likely for sale, but I'd be willing to bet that they're having some long conversations about Clowney in St. Louis right now.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:03 pm
  • volsunghawk wrote:
    Scottemojo wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:

I know people question Clowney, but I just remember how our pass rush looked when we were able to trot Avril, Clemons, and Bennett out on the field at the same time. The Rams pass rush is already among the best in the league, and if they added another piece that allowed, say, Quinn to move inside... I think it could be devastating. Plus, it would give them insurance against Long being injured and leverage for a restructure down the road. And though Clowney may have motivation issues, I think the Rams' D-line coach has done a damn good job with the guys he has.

I agree that the pick is likely for sale, but I'd be willing to bet that they're having some long conversations about Clowney in St. Louis right now.

I am sure they are. But I am also sure those conversations include how much of their cap would be tied up in the D-line between Brockers, Long, Clowner, and Quinn in about 2 years.

Were they to actually draft at spot 2, the one I fear is Sammy Watkins.
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:35 pm
  • I think they have their eyes on a TE for their second first round pick. For their first pick, I'm not sure, could be a OL, RE, or QB.
    CaptBennett
    NET Rookie

Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:16 pm
  • It still amazes me that Washington ended up with the second worst record in the NFL despite having almost nothing to gain by tanking. What a franchise.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:47 am
  • Scottemojo wrote:I am more worried about what they are going to get for selling that 2 pick than who they will take with it.

This. I've seen rumors the Browns are all in on Manziel. They could potentially offer up #4, 26 and their 2nd to the Rams. That would leave them with 3 firsts and 2 seconds in a deep draft.
    EverydayImRusselin
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:30 am
  • As long as they stay away from a QB, I am happy. Adding an OLineman won't do much (don't see a HOFer), adding Clowney is redundant and going wideout is a thought, but Bradford will still throw to the outlet 3 yards down field.
    "it'd be a newborn deer" - pehawk
    Hawk Strap
    * Handsome *

Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:47 pm
  • Johnny Manziel and Greg Robinson

I still think Tavon Austin is a dangerous weapon. The style of offense just doesn't suit Bradford+Tavon. But it would be dangerous to have Tavon getting open when Manziel is playing backyard football.

Robinson is going to open huge holes for the team that drafts him. I much more concerned about Stacy as a running back than I ever was of Jackson. Stacy seems more like a low to the ground slippery RB, sorta like Frank Gore.
    HunnyBadger
    NET Starter

Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:56 pm
  • If the rams get a QB and a good receiver they will be SCARY
    rlkats
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:41 pm
  • rlkats wrote:If the rams get a QB and a good receiver they will be SCARY

Indeed. Thankfully, The Stache© doesn't seem quite smart enough to take a QB high.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:37 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    rlkats wrote:If the rams get a QB and a good receiver they will be SCARY

Indeed. Thankfully, The Stache© doesn't seem quite smart enough to take a QB high.

Thank God they actually think Bradford is the answer (at least until 2016).
    43-8...it's all about that action boss....
    next man up.
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:49 pm
  • I'm officially concerned if they do surprise everyone and take a QB in the first round, though.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:22 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:I'm officially concerned if they do surprise everyone and take a QB in the first round, though.

You better be and if he's a mobile one like Manzel it's game on.
    43-8...it's all about that action boss....
    next man up.
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:03 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    rlkats wrote:If the rams get a QB and a good receiver they will be SCARY

It has been declared and decreed or whatever words are needed....Bradford is our guy. You only need 5 seconds on any Rams board to see the discontent this causes for the fans who love the team. Many have chosen to live behind stats and hope and love him. Others have chosen to be honest and look at what he actually has done in FOUR years as a LEADER.

But as to the draft, it is expected that the Rams will draft a QB in round 3 - 5. I think there are some pretty good options in that place, so it might work out.

IF and I mean IF the Rams do not trade out of the #2 pick, it will not be a QB.

I'm watching the combine. Any draft ideas before it are just plain stupid.
    Los Angeles Rams' fan who lives in San Diego.

"They call it Sack City because you'd rather live in a SACK."
    RedAlice
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:21 am
  • MizzouHawkGal wrote:You better be and if he's a mobile one like Manzel it's game on.

Aye; assuming they draft a QB and he does fairly well from the beginning, they're instantly contenders above the 49ers.

RedAlice wrote:It has been declared and decreed or whatever words are needed....Bradford is our guy. You only need 5 seconds on any Rams board to see the discontent this causes for the fans who love the team. Many have chosen to live behind stats and hope and love him. Others have chosen to be honest and look at what he actually has done in FOUR years as a LEADER.

"Bradford" and "leader" in the same sentence. :laugh:

RedAlice wrote:I'm watching the combine. Any draft ideas before it are just plain stupid.

Yeah; but it doesn't stop people from trying.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:19 pm
  • volsunghawk wrote:I want the Rams to stay far, far away from Clowney.

1. Not sure about Clowney.

2. I guarantee they will not draft a QB in the first round. They'll draft Bradford's back up in the middle rounds.
    Rambitious
    NET Bench Warmer

Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:22 pm
  • MizzouHawkGal wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:I'm officially concerned if they do surprise everyone and take a QB in the first round, though.

You better be and if he's a mobile one like Manzel it's game on.

No way they're drafting a QB in the first round.

Johnny Football is a fourth round talent...'maybe'.
    Rambitious
    NET Bench Warmer

Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:24 pm
  • Rambitious wrote:No way they're drafting a QB in the first round.

I don't follow college ball, but Russell Wilson was a late-round talent, maybe. According to everyone before the draft, anyways. (Definitely not defending Manziel, as I said I don't follow college ball.)

Also, holy crow, another Rams fan. :2:
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:28 am
  • they'll probably take Clowney and invent the 4 DE defensive line. If Bradford disappoints again, they can have Legatron walk on his hands and use his leg to get the ball down field to Cook and Austin. Could be frightening.
    Last edited by Russell Wilson on Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:20 pm, edited 29-3 times in total.
    Last edited by NFC Champion Russell Wilson on Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:14 pm, edited 23-17 times in total.
    Last edited by World Champion Russell Wilson on Sun Feb 2, 2014 7:14 pm, edited 43-8 times in total.
    Lady Talon
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:10 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    Rambitious wrote:No way they're drafting a QB in the first round.

I don't follow college ball, but Russell Wilson was a late-round talent, maybe. According to everyone before the draft, anyways. (Definitely not defending Manziel, as I said I don't follow college ball.)

RW >>>>> Manziel honestly he was in college as well Manziel won the heisman for beating bama; Russ carried an average Wisc team that was supposed to be a down year instead we went to the rose and were one boneheaded bb timeout from ot against oregon didn't have any left for Russ to work his magic sigh.
    randomation
    NET Rookie

Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:55 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    Rambitious wrote:No way they're drafting a QB in the first round.

Thank you. Good to be here. You guys have a nice board. :D

True, although I think Wilson was mostly his size if I recall....
    Manziel....IMHO has talent issues.
    Of course I'm not a GM so I can be wrong. ;)
    Rambitious
    NET Bench Warmer

Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:58 am
  • Lady Talon wrote:they'll probably take Clowney and invent the 4 DE defensive line. If Bradford disappoints again, they can have Legatron walk on his hands and use his leg to get the ball down field to Cook and Austin. Could be frightening.

IMHO Bradford will be fine.

The Rams (for a change) need to give him some support. They appear to be making some slow progress there.

Hard for a QB to have a good career when he has lead the league in sacks and hits and his WR's lead the league in drops. Bradford can't block for his line and catch for his WR's too.
    Rambitious
    NET Bench Warmer

Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:11 am
  • Awww, we had hope for you before you turned out to be a Bradford supporter.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:33 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:Awww, we had hope for you before you turned out to be a Bradford supporter.

Just being honest. ;)
    I feel he should be given a fair shot with at least an average supporting cast on offense.
    Rambitious
    NET Bench Warmer

Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:36 pm
  • Rambitious wrote:Just being honest. ;)

What will you honestly think when his ceiling is still mediocrity by the end of the 2014 season? :)
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:41 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    Rambitious wrote:Just being honest. ;)

What will you honestly think when his ceiling is still mediocrity by the end of the 2014 season? :)

Well first, given that you can tell the future ;) I'd like to ask what the winning super lotto numbers are.

Then, I'll look at the 2014 season logically and think it through.

Then, if he has received decent/consistent support on offense (which he has never had) and does not produce, I think the Rams will need to look elsewhere.
    Rambitious
    NET Bench Warmer

Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:45 pm
  • I'm not psychic, I'm just making a prediction which may be wrong. I seriously am wondering how many more years half of the Rams fan base plans to give Bradford a pass for, though. He's starting his fifth freaking year in the NFL, and he's still giving the world gems such as this:

RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:01 pm
  • Rams suck
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:06 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:I'm not psychic, I'm just making a prediction which may be wrong. I seriously am wondering how many more years half of the Rams fan base plans to give Bradford a pass for, though. He's starting his fifth freaking year in the NFL, and he's still giving the world gems such as this:

True, but I recall that game and honestly I put a lot of that on our three yards and a cloud of dust O coordinator. No imagination at all.

But truthfully, if he gets support this year and does not produce, then you have to look at that position. You just have to. I mean I could be wrong on Bradford too, I just feel he has not really been given a fair chance at success in the NFL. I blame the Rams for that.
    Rambitious
    NET Bench Warmer

Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:29 pm
  • Rambitious wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:I'm not psychic, I'm just making a prediction which may be wrong. I seriously am wondering how many more years half of the Rams fan base plans to give Bradford a pass for, though. He's starting his fifth freaking year in the NFL, and he's still giving the world gems such as this:

True, but I recall that game and honestly I put a lot of that on our three yards and a cloud of dust O coordinator. No imagination at all.

But truthfully, if he gets support this year and does not produce, then you have to look at that position. You just have to. I mean I could be wrong on Bradford too, I just feel he has not really been given a fair chance at success in the NFL. I blame the Rams for that.

Hi Rambitious. At least you seem like a reasonable B supporter. Many are insane and would've responded to Ro with a ton of stats about B's brilliance.

I am of the idea that this is year five. I don't agree with you on the excuses, but I would be very happy to see him perform like a leader with attitude and ability to drive this team this year.

Though Clemons is a lessor talent, he showed an ability to lead our team last year that impressed me. B not only needs to perform, he needs to show some of that.

Either way, I feel the B experiment is over this year. He is, or he is not. We can move forward one way or the other.
    Los Angeles Rams' fan who lives in San Diego.

"They call it Sack City because you'd rather live in a SACK."
    RedAlice
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:14 am
  • Bradford has steadily improved each year he's been in the league, with the exception of 2011 where he was nursing an ankle injury for a lot of the year.

I would say their best option is to go O-Line and WR - their defense is already pretty stout.
    The idea of the Browns trading both of their first round picks is a frightening one though - Houston are 100% going with a QB, Cleveland would also be going with a QB, leaving Jacksonville ahead of them... probably either taking a QB or Mack, though maybe taking Clowney, leaving the Rams with their choice of Robinson, Watkins and Clowney - ie. one of the players they would probably take anyway, but now they can also pick 26th - so they probably go OL with pick 4, safety with pick 13 and WR with pick 26.

Then they've addressed their biggest weaknesses (depending on how you feel about Bradford)
    themunn
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:47 am
  • themunn wrote:Bradford has steadily improved each year he's been in the league, with the exception of 2011 where he was nursing an ankle injury for a lot of the year.

I would say their best option is to go O-Line and WR - their defense is already pretty stout.
    The idea of the Browns trading both of their first round picks is a frightening one though - Houston are 100% going with a QB, Cleveland would also be going with a QB, leaving Jacksonville ahead of them... probably either taking a QB or Mack, though maybe taking Clowney, leaving the Rams with their choice of Robinson, Watkins and Clowney - ie. one of the players they would probably take anyway, but now they can also pick 26th - so they probably go OL with pick 4, safety with pick 13 and WR with pick 26.

Then they've addressed their biggest weaknesses (depending on how you feel about Bradford)

IMHO you have a good take on the situation.
    Although I keep hearing that the Rams really like Mack as well. Which may make the idea of trading down more likely.
    I'm reading that they think Mack is a better "all around" football player and gives them more versatility as to his use vs Clowney, who is a pure DE pass rusher only. So I could see (via a Browns trade) taking Mack (if he's there) with pick 4, then later possibly trading up for a premiere OT (or taking who -at OT-is available at pick 13) then picking a safety at 26.
    Rambitious
    NET Bench Warmer

Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:05 am
  • Just keep Bradford behind center.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:16 pm
  • This would scare me the most:

#2 Glenn Robinson (RT)
    #13 Anthony Barr (OLB)

Or

#2 Kahlil Mack (OLB)
    #13 Taylor Lewan (RT)

They still could pick up a big WR in the 2nd and a solid QB prospect like a Mccaron, Mettenburger, or Murray in the 3rd or 4th.
    If I seem too passionate, it’s because I care. And if I come on too strong, it’s because I feel strongly. And if I push too hard, it’s because things aren’t moving fast enough. This is my home, you are my family, and I promise you, I’m not going anywhere.” - L.K.
    Pandion Haliaetus
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:05 pm
  • Marvin49 wrote:Just keep Bradford behind center.

Unfortunately for you, they plan on it. ;)
    Rambitious
    NET Bench Warmer

Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:43 pm
  • I want them to draft the eventual busts of the draft like Bridgewater and Anthony Barr. I don't think they're going to blow the second pick when they take Robinson, but since they'll still be middling to suck under center, it'll be GREAT.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:08 pm
  • Rambitious wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:Just keep Bradford behind center.

Good one, bro.

RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:12 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    Rambitious wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:Just keep Bradford behind center.

Good one, bro.

We'll see...... ;)
    Rambitious
    NET Bench Warmer

Next

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:54 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information