Super Bowl Win and Teams that haven't

Basis4day

Reaction score
Perhaps my greatest frustration with talking to fans of the Niners is the inevitable point when they resort to how many Super Bowls they won 20 years ago in an attempt to win an argument. On their forums you will see pictures of an empty trophy case or someone chiming in with "5 Rings". Who can forget the billboard they bought.

Since the Seahawks now have a ring, will you be using it in the same manner as opposing fans have for years to talk down to the Hawks?

I hope not. We have bragging rights for a year or two, but i hope we'll be the fan-base that never rests on it's laurels.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Nah. It's so hard for a team to win one that I just have more respect for teams that do. Especially in this hard cap era where you have to always be able to evaluate and spot talent and coach it up in order to be good over a sustained period of time.

I'm rooting for the Vikes and Browns fans to get to experience what we have in some off year when we don't have the opportunity (hopefully at some point later on, of course).

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Only to Niner fans who bring up the 5 rings argument, and with a knowing sense of irony.

Now that Seattle has a Lombardi, (God, it feels good to type that) besides multiple Lombardis for Pete and Co., I'd like to see Carolina and Jacksonville get rings.

NFLFanSweden

Reaction score
Since the Seahawks now have a ring, will you be using it in the same manner as opposing fans have for years to talk down to the Hawks?

I hope not. We have bragging rights for a year or two, but i hope we'll be the fan-base that never rests on it's laurels.

I am quite proud of those 5 rings, especially since I was around as a kid when we got all of them. But I also realize that the Niners are not the only team that has 5. When I'm in Niner fan circles of course I get all crazy with my brethren and throw up my hands like we're the best in the league but, hey, I bleed red & gold (much like you do your colors probably).

All that being said though, I know how difficult it is getting a ring. How much focus, determination and good play you need to make it to the end. The Seahawks EARNED that ring this year. So as a fan of a team that has made it, WELCOME, I say. You will never personally get me to admit the Seahawks are the best football team ever, I can admit that you did what it takes to get there and we didn't. But my Niners will always be my best.

Really not all Niners fans are tools like I'm sure not all Seahawks fans are douches, though we each do have those that give the fanbase a bad rep. Now that you guys have finally made it to the "Pigskin Ultimate Winners Circle" you'll see more bandwagon fans which will irritate the crap out of you because these people could have cared less for your your beloved team when they were losing and maybe some respect but also more hate from other fans.

Anyway, like I said, you earned it. Congrats. Now I hope we can manage to keep you from getting it next year. ;)

Enjoy the offseason. Though I already miss the NFL.

Oh, and sorry I didn't name the poster I quoted. I typed this darn thing on my phone and erased the name by accident.

davidonmi

Reaction score
After all the crap I've taken about never having a SB win yes I'm gonna brag, what I hope never happens is seahawk fans start talking down to other fanbases cause they don't have a ring. I can't stand fans who do that

chris98251

Reaction score
Two franchises that have felt heartbreak more then any Vikings and the Bills, to so close so many times and have it slip thru their fingers for a vareity of reasons.

googoodan

Reaction score
davidonmi":3u3fcrxe said:
After all the crap I've taken about never having a SB win yes I'm gonna brag, what I hope never happens is seahawk fans start talking down to other fanbases cause they don't have a ring. I can't stand fans who do that

we appreciate that

lucky49

Reaction score
as a niners fan, the "5 rings" argument is kinda something that just sort of got left behind from the 2000s when we were a terrible team and we had no bragging rights but from the past. It's just a bad habit.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Do the Florida Marlins and Arizona Diamondbacks lord it over teams like the Mariners because they have a pennant and the M's don't? Does the Colorado Avalanche rag on the Canucks and Maple Leafs because they've raised Lord Stanley's Cup a couple of times and those other teams haven't?

That kind of asshattery is something I've seen almost exclusively from 49ers fans, Stealers fans, and the occasional chucklehead from some other franchise desperate to make an argument when all they have is that to fall back on.

I think it's safe to say most Seahawks fans won't have to resort to that, nor will they want to.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":lybqszot said:
Do the Florida Marlins and Arizona Diamondbacks lord it over teams like the Mariners because they have a pennant and the M's don't? Does the Colorado Avalanche rag on the Canucks and Maple Leafs because they've raised Lord Stanley's Cup a couple of times and those other teams haven't?

That kind of asshattery is something I've seen almost exclusively from 49ers fans, Stealers fans, and the occasional chucklehead from some other franchise desperate to make an argument when all they have is that to fall back on.

I think it's safe to say most Seahawks fans won't have to resort to that, nor will they want to.
You left out Cowboy fans. They love to talk about their ancient trophies as well.

Crizilla

Reaction score
to me, if all you're going to talk about is your titles from years ago, you're still living in the past and care more about the past than whats going on right now. So lame. Why follow the NFL still then? Just watch clips of your teams winning it all and enjoy those moments. It also negates any real football talk. You try and have a decent conversation about teams, matchups, X's and O's, etc etc and you get LOL WE HAVE RINGS YOU DON'T thrown at you. It's like....dude....chill. Lets talk about this season and where you're team is at right now. I actually have more respect for the niners now since it's clear they are the 2nd best team. They played us incredibly tough the last 2 times. But you just rarely have a decent convo with niner fans because they wont shut up about Montana and Young. Whatever, dudes.

253hawk

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":1lk1m0pm said:

I love shoving the 1917 Seattle Metropolitans Stanley Cup in San Jose's face.

hawker84

Reaction score
253hawk":169icsqr said:
Seahawk Sailor":169icsqr said:

I love shoving the 1917 Seattle Metropolitans Stanley Cup in San Jose's face.

Funny. Nope this ones for me ( and i'm sure every true blue and green diehard feels the same way). i can finally say my seahawks are world champs, i can go and personally look at the Lombardi me and my seahawks won, I can go to the stadium and look up at my championship banner and say to myself , we finally did it. No i've never played a down, but all the blood (literally) sweat and tears i've put into this team over the last 37 years, yes i feel as though i earned that trophy as well sunday night. And you best believe i'll hold it dear till the day i croak.

Hopefully this will wake up the Mariners front office as well, because quite frankly i don't have a whole lot of blood sweat and tears left...

Joey13091

Reaction score
Yes I will brag about it this year and this year only. But I will be proud of this year we had in the future.

All that matters is we are the best right now. Best team in the NFL. We got the bragging rights for next season.

That's the way I look at it. 20 years from now I will not be bragging about it to other fan bases because that's just dumb. I will just look back and remember the memories.

OP
OP
Basis4day

Basis4day

Reaction score
NFLFanSweden":42lsaac8 said:

I am quite proud of those 5 rings, especially since I was around as a kid when we got all of them. But I also realize that the Niners are not the only team that has 5. When I'm in Niner fan circles of course I get all crazy with my brethren and throw up my hands like we're the best in the league but, hey, I bleed red & gold (much like you do your colors probably).

All that being said though, I know how difficult it is getting a ring. How much focus, determination and good play you need to make it to the end. The Seahawks EARNED that ring this year. So as a fan of a team that has made it, WELCOME, I say. You will never personally get me to admit the Seahawks are the best football team ever, I can admit that you did what it takes to get there and we didn't. But my Niners will always be my best.

Really not all Niners fans are tools like I'm sure not all Seahawks fans are douches, though we each do have those that give the fanbase a bad rep. Now that you guys have finally made it to the "Pigskin Ultimate Winners Circle" you'll see more bandwagon fans which will irritate the crap out of you because these people could have cared less for your your beloved team when they were losing and maybe some respect but also more hate from other fans.

Anyway, like I said, you earned it. Congrats. Now I hope we can manage to keep you from getting it next year. ;)

Enjoy the offseason. Though I already miss the NFL.

Oh, and sorry I didn't name the poster I quoted. I typed this darn thing on my phone and erased the name by accident.

No worries. Not all Niner fans are bad. I married one. I love the rivalry. Most sports arguments happen in bars. You know how that goes.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I see no point in rubbing it in anyone's face. I won't go out of my way to, but if a Niner fan starts in with some garbage I might remind him of the recent accomplishment.

But nothing is going to stop me from celebrating for a long time.

253hawk

Reaction score
Past accomplishments don't matter; that's why I don't bother buying CHAMPIONSHIP GEAR. For one, it's depressing as hell when your team reverts back to inevitable mediocrity, and two, I prefer to live in the moment. Tomorrow doesn't give a damn about what you did yesterday.

Even when I was a fan of SF in the Montana days, I never held 4 RINGS over the Cowboys' 3, the Saints' 0 or the Falcons' 0.

kearly

Reaction score
If Seattle ever leads SF 6-5 in the Lombardi count, they will never hear the end of it from me, personally. I will enjoy it immensely.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
I once wrote a post for .NET many MANY years ago (2004 I think) where I opined that the measure of a true sports fan would be to die without ever seeing a championship victory--with no regrets. On your death bed, could you look back at a life of loving a team that ultimately left you empty and still be at peace?

Putting aside the obvious relief that none of us have to worry anymore about such notions (WHEW!), I believe the argument still stands. Some people are not cut out for cheering on teams that always struggle. Others embrace their "lovable loser" team even closer to their heart.

I would NEVER hold our trophy(ies) over the heads of a Lions, Bills, Browns, etc. fan. I know their pain all too well.

NINEster

Reaction score
Trenchbroom":16c8c3o3 said:
I once wrote a post for .NET many MANY years ago (2004 I think) where I opined that the measure of a true sports fan would be to die without ever seeing a championship victory--with no regrets. On your death bed, could you look back at a life of loving a team that ultimately left you empty and still be at peace?

Putting aside the obvious relief that none of us have to worry anymore about such notions (WHEW!), I believe the argument still stands. Some people are not cut out for cheering on teams that always struggle. Others embrace their "lovable loser" team even closer to their heart.

I would NEVER hold our trophy(ies) over the heads of a Lions, Bills, Browns, etc. fan. I know their pain all too well.

A lot of long time 49er fans have had an opportunity to get this feeling again.

From 1981 to 2002, the team missed the playoffs only a handful of times. That's being spoiled.

Now we went through an entire decade pretty much of mediocrity, and even with the resurgence we've been close but no cigar. The "old 49er" feelings returned quickly....."super bowl or bust".

Will still love the team if they never win another one in this lifetime. I was alive for all 5 of them, didn't start to watch until the 3rd one. Those were great, but the next one will be better than any of those previous ones for sure.

At some point I would like all of the remaining Lombardi-less franchises to finally get one.