Richie Incognito VS Jonathan Martin Texts released

Trrrroy

Reaction score
Looks like BS'ing between friends to me. Me and my good buddy banter like that back and forth all the time, it's not like we're serious. If it wasn't meant in jest, well, Incognito is a dick.

Axx

Reaction score
lmao, really???

I was expecting something REALLY hateful not trolling w/ stereotypes.

Looks like the media was full of S*** once again

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
Oh hey guys remember when I got a ton of crap....
"just because he takes pictures with black kids doesn't mean he's not racist"
"Incognito and everyone who supports him is a meathead..."

OP
OP
m0ng0

m0ng0

Reaction score
Seems to me Martin could not come to grips with being a first round bust, had a bit of a breakdown and explained it all away by screwing his buddy who happens to be a loudmouthed dbag. Wave the race and bully card and the media goes nuts, Incognito is out of a job, Martin comes off as the victim and possibly gets another shot at turning crappy career around. Those Stanford guys are pretty smart :D

Mr.Hawkbrah

Reaction score
how is the media full of sh**?

correct me if im wrong.... martin released voicemails incognito left him....and let that be public knowledge. not once did i ever see martin correct the media...

everyone wants to blame the talking heads, and often times the media loves the play up the race card but this time it seems to be completely martins fault. threw his teammate completely under the bus what a pos. i was kicking around the idea that we should take a flyer on him but now i think id rather have incognito, maybe we should pick him up and give him a team that wont screw him.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Throwdown":3gf2ldma said:
They're both bitches losers.

I actually feel bad for RI as odd as that sounds as I read it back to myself. He kind of got railroaded. This for all likelihood will end his career.

Mr.Hawkbrah

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":1pc4j62q said:
Throwdown":1pc4j62q said:

I actually feel bad for RI as odd as that sounds as I read it back to myself. He kind of got railroaded. This for all likelihood will end his career.

yeah seriously...anyone thats played sports knows you tend to get into a crude vulgar atmospheres at times, even martin said that in his texts basically. im sure incognito is no choir boy idk why hes a betch though wtf, he got screwed by his own teammate.

Spounge84

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":1w1l4abq said:
Throwdown":1w1l4abq said:

Honestly, his career should have ended a long time ago.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Spounge84":2xp4tvzb said:
CALIHAWK1":2xp4tvzb said:
Throwdown":2xp4tvzb said:

Why? He can play.

Spounge84

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":35qa0ceg said:
Spounge84":35qa0ceg said:
CALIHAWK1":35qa0ceg said:
Throwdown":35qa0ceg said:

Why? He can play.

Dude's been given more second chances than he deserves. Even not taking this whole incident with Martin into account (and I agree it sounds like he may have been screwed over by Martin), his career since college just shows a history of self-destructive behavior.

kearly

Reaction score
Incognito will be fine. I wouldn't even be totally surprised if he's playing for Miami next year. Incognito's favorability among players is much higher than Martin's. Not sure how coaches feel, but I have a hard time thinking that 32 NFL coaches would shut him out.

This whole thing continues to be misunderstood, but it began as a misunderstanding when everyone wanted to put 100% of the blame on one person instead of a locker room of guys that together put one of their own players in a corner.

Anyone that thinks bullying wasn't going on is incredibly naive. Even some of Incognito's biggest defenders know bullying was going on, because their defense of Incognito is that this type of hazing is commonplace in the NFL. As far as the back and forth texts: Put yourself in that situation from Martin's vantage point. How would you respond to such aggressive hazing and threats? Probably by firing back right?

I hope that both Martin and Incognito are on NFL rosters next year, and I hope more coaches start adopting the kind of environment Pete Carroll has which does not tolerate player abuse. I would like to think this whole episode provided ample motivation for coaches who want to avoid massive potential distractions, nevermind the fracturing in the locker room. No matter how you look at it, these kind of behaviors have no potential upside, it's just pure downside.

I do think Martin's use of texts without context is petty bullshit. It appears he was out for revenge. But having been through a similar experience, I kind of think Incognito got what he deserved (suspended for a few games, missed a few game checks, got put through the media-wringer) so it's hard to feel too bad for him. I think if James Carpenter had quit because Paul McQuistan and other lineman had acted this way, I don't think Pete would have taken that lightly and as such I think the consequences Incognito faced are fair. It's the other guys in that locker room who did wrong and got away scot-free who are the big winners in all this.

I also think that in Incognito's warped mind, he really thought that he truly was Martin's buddy, and that everything he said was in good fun. Having never been on the receiving end of that kind of severe, daily harassment he doesn't understand how devastating it can be, especially when it's a group effort. He thought they were having fun. He didn't know the hurt he was causing, the resentment he was building. If I were Incognito I'd just be thankful that Martin doesn't have the same interest in big guns as Aqib Talib or Aldon Smith. I interpreted Martin's decision to walk away as an admission that he was near the point of losing emotional control, and when people have nervous breakdowns it can get pretty scary depending on the person. Then Martin pulled some petty revenge bullshit and the dog was officially wagged.

Mr.Hawkbrah

Reaction score
incognito got what he deserved? i respect almost everything ive seen you write on here kearly so dont feel im attacking your opinion. but like you said, there was a lot miss understood about all this. maybe theres big pieces im missing out of this but take a look at this piece for example (admittedly could somehow be media fabricated as well)

"Martin then said in a text on the same day, "Yeah I'm good man. It's insane bro but just know I don't blame you guys at all its just the culture around football and the locker room got to me a little … Btw … never check yourself into a mental hospital."

these are not the kind of things i say to a guy whos to blame. personally i cant even imagine talking to a guy like this who sincerely hurt my feelings, the guy that sends me to a mental breaking point is not the guy im joking about going to a mental hospital with, just does not add up. maybe incognito is a pos in his own right, but i dont agree (from what i know) with all the justification for incognitos punishment in this situation.

we are talking about grown men, not children. martin is not 12 years old, hes a big boy. and no, you dont just keep firing right back to that extent...If someone were to give me that much crap i certainly wouldnt be texting him that much, 40 pages of texts just cause he didnt know what else to do? are you kidding me.. thats just weird if you ask me. im not in defense of bullying but the real issue is martins mental health and that is not a product of this situation other than it coming to light from it. but thats just my opinion.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Mr.Hawkbrah":3i3zm47a said:
incognito got what he deserved? i respect almost everything ive seen you write on here kearly so dont feel im attacking your opinion. but like you said, there was a lot miss understood about all this. maybe theres big pieces im missing out of this but take a look at this piece for example (admittedly could somehow be media fabricated as well)

"Martin then said in a text on the same day, "Yeah I'm good man. It's insane bro but just know I don't blame you guys at all its just the culture around football and the locker room got to me a little … Btw … never check yourself into a mental hospital."

these are not the kind of things i say to a guy whos to blame. personally i cant even imagine talking to a guy like this who sincerely hurt my feelings, the guy that sends me to a mental breaking point is not the guy im joking about going to a mental hospital with, just does not add up. maybe incognito is a pos in his own right, but i dont agree (from what i know) with all the justification for incognitos punishment in this situation.

we are talking about grown men, not children. martin is not 12 years old, hes a big boy. and no, you dont just keep firing right back to that extent...If someone were to give me that much crap i certainly wouldnt be texting him that much, 40 pages of texts just cause he didnt know what else to do? are you kidding me.. thats just weird if you ask me. im not in defense of bullying but the real issue is martins mental health and that is not a product of this situation other than it coming to light from it. but thats just my opinion.

I agree wholeheartedly with this post. Incognito deserves an apology IMO

kearly

Reaction score
-The Glove-":15nl4m1g said:
Mr.Hawkbrah":15nl4m1g said:

I agree wholeheartedly with this post. Incognito deserves an apology IMO

All I'm going to say is that I've been in this exact same situation myself and it is far more complex than you think. Again, it wasn't just Incognito that turned on Martin, it was the entire OL group. In my experience, the one guy who was the worst hazer for me was also the only guy who tried to be my friend. I still hated his guts, but it was what it was. When your worst enemy is also your best friend, it kind of makes for a pretty screwed up relationship. I think Incognito's punishment fit the crime, because his punishment probably won't end up amounting to much, and because his actions, though perhaps not ill-intentioned, hurt the team. Two wrongs don't make a right and so I think Martin is getting what he deserves too for failing to handle this in a better way.

Have you never been harassed in an environment that felt inescapable to such extreme levels where you thought of killing people? If not, you wouldn't understand. It appears Martin hit that dangerous point, removed himself from the situation, sought mental help, and then when asked to "prove" why he did what he did, he made a mistake and intentionally took Incognito's statements out of context. After all, he had to prove why he did what he did, but it certainly seems plausible that revenge played a part in it too, in fact I suspect it did.