all the butthurt niners dropping out of pro-bowl

Hawknballs

Reaction score
taking their toys and going home.

Without considering the fact that Seattle's players are hungry and want to play as much and as hard as possible (last year's pro-bowl was epic, our guys were the ones on the field trying to win, it was awesome) might be the very reason they've leap frogged them this year.

That's fine.

Go sulk.

Have a tissue ~~~~~

rightbench

Reaction score
only 1 of the 8 Niners who were selected to the pro bowl are playing. I think it's one of their LBers. Everyone else said they're either hurt or ... just that they aren't going. Kinda like your typical 11 year old with hurt feelings.

themunn

Reaction score
let's be honest, they're in just as much physical pain as they are mental.

would you want to play football a week after facing the Hawks?

themunn

Reaction score
With all the replacements, there are - I kid you not - TEN one and done KC players at the pro bowl.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Well, to be fair, Bowman (Torn ACL/MCL), Gore (Broken hand), and Staley (Compound dislocation of his thumb) all got hurt in the game. Willis (Knee) and Vernon (Hamstring) have been nursing injuries all year.

Thats 5 of the 8 right off the top. Justin is an older player.

Whitner and Reid were elcted as alternates to your safeties and Whitner opted out due to injury.

Looks like the only Niner who will be there will be the rook, Eric Reid.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
I thought I read that Ahmad Brooks was the one player still planning on attending. It was his first selection in his career.

If you ask me, he shouldn't even have been playing football this year after him beating his teammate in the offseason, but that's neither here nor there.

OrFan

Reaction score
They just need to cancel that garbage from now on. Many players have expressed that they like being named to the probowl team, but that nobody wants to play in it. I don't care how cute you get with it, Sanders and Rice picking teams, etc., nobody cares about it.

Just name a team, publish it, and then leave it at that.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
The one thing I'd like to have back is the skills competition.

The Pro Bowl game is, as stated above, garbage.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Marvin49":21xuws1q said:
Well, to be fair, Bowman (Torn ACL/MCL), Gore (Broken hand), and Staley (Compound dislocation of his thumb) all got hurt in the game. Willis (Knee) and Vernon (Hamstring) have been nursing injuries all year.

Thats 5 of the 8 right off the top. Justin is an older player.

Whitner and Reid were elcted as alternates to your safeties and Whitner opted out due to injury.

Looks like the only Niner who will be there will be the rook, Eric Reid.

I see the stories have been updated.

Eric Reid will be the only one, indeed.

hawker84

Reaction score
I don't think NFL players could give a hoot about the Pro bowl to be honest, i know i wouldn't. but if i was a player on the lower half of the pay scale, that would be a great all expense paid family vacation . other than that. whatever.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Yea, most of them aren't participating because they got too badly wrecked playing in the NFC Championship game. Can't say I blame them.

And a little off-topic, but wanted to add some thoughts on the Pro Bowl, and why we're seeing this more and more every year. The Pro Bowl is cool, just not in current form. To really get back to what it should be, and be an event players want to participate in, several changes need to happen. I say this from several years of attending the Pro Bowl and surrounding events in Hawaii.

- The event needs to be a bigger paycheck for both winners and losers, but especially winners. Take the penalty money over the year, or some of the ad or merchandise revenue and really make the bonuses something to write home to Mom about. Players making a ridiculous amount of money aren't going to want to suit up for an extra few thousand for a game that doesn't mean jack squat. Make the monetary incentive interesting. Give extra bonuses for TDs, INTs, and other such in-game goals. Really make them think twice about turning it down.

- Put more onus on winning the game. No one wants to see a slug-fest where a bunch of players get injured, but everyone wants to see a competitive competition where the stakes are at least a little higher, and the game actually means something. The NHL and MLB have done something like this, where the winner of the All Star contest gets to be the home team for the finals; maybe something similar can be worked for the NFL. Maybe not moving the site of the Super Bowl, especially as there'd be no time to do so, but some kind of competitive edge for the conference. Maybe the winning conference in the Pro Bowl hosts all inter-conference games the next year. That would be a serious motivator, and one that would have rooting interest for fans. It appears to be four games a year per team, which seems like a pretty reasonable structure to accommodate. In fact, if you really wanted to raise the stakes, simply give the winning conference one extra home game against the losing conference, giving them nine at home and seven on the road. That'd really light a fire under them.

- Make it profitable for teams to get in. Maybe work in a lottery-style extra draft pick or two, based on players suited up for the Pro Bowl. Every player gives their team one extra shot at a lottery drawing for a special third-round draft pick. Winning players maybe get one extra shot per player. Really give it some incentive. Name the player whose entry actually won the draft pick for their team. Highlight them during the draft. That could tie it neatly into the draft, which would be a pretty cool tie-in and more add publicity and validation to the game.

- Keep it in Hawaii. That's part of what makes it so special. It's an island paradise getaway for them, some fun in the sun and sand. A chance to relax and unwind in a tropical venue, while being lauded as the best at their profession. Make it even more so and keep it so. No one, as a participant, wants the Pro Bowl to bounce around from venue to venue, where one year could be "Welcome to the Pro Bowl in Detroit, immediately following the live action Hunger Games Competition," the next, "Welcome to the Pro Bowl in Buffalo, brought to you by L. L. Bean's new Antarctic Winter Line, you'll need them this week," and the one after that, "Welcome to the Pro Bowl in Arizona, featuring the all-new Catch-A-Rattler speed drill." No one wants that. Period.

Those three things came readily to mind, but there are a lot of different tweaks that can be done to make the Pro Bowl more exciting, much more than the marketing ploys they're trying now. How cute that a couple of ex-players are choosing teammates like a old schoolyard match. Yay for them. But besides a little glossy advertising, it doesn't do jack and squat for the game. If you want to supe it up, make it really worth the effort, think outside the box. Think of what will really motivate players and teams to want to come out and compete in it.

Carmon1274

Reaction score
I'm sorry 50k/25k is not a good paycheck?

It's mostly for families to enjoy a vacation in Hawaii. The players love to go Probowl in Hawaii, and not in Florida.

Players making a ridiculous amount of money aren't going to want to suit up for an extra few thousand for a game that doesn't mean jack squat.

Should ask Brees then.

Carmon1274

Reaction score
I'm from Hawaii, and I do bring my kids to the ProBowl every year.

I read so many Forums ( not just the Seahawks) and I dislike everyone's comment on it.

My views is:

This is a football game, just killing time next week for the Superbowl.
This is a reward to the players and they are earning a vacation package to Hawaii.
This is for the people in Hawaii.

Flag/Football or w/e. It's still interesting for us. How often do people in Hawaii see a Pro Athlethe these days?

And if you say it's a waste of time? Sure don't watch it. It's for us and it's just killing time for the Superbowl.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
I'd rather see a skills competition. NFL QB Club used to be my favorite as a kid. I want to see guys trying to throw footballs through moving targets forty yards downfield again.

I'm sure we could find stuff for the WRs, TEs, RBs, and defensive players to do that would be a low-injury thing. Then, offer lots of sweet sweet prize money to the winners.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
The 49ers played their asses off on Sunday and for that we should give them some respect for at least a few moments. Most of those guys were pretty beat up.

Onyx

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":1k97p4ny said:
The 49ers played their asses off on Sunday and for that we should give them some respect for at least a few moments. Most of those guys were pretty beat up.

Yep totally agree.

mikeak

Reaction score
OP - we didn't lose in the NFC championship game last year. Quite a difference

The 49ers team have now lost NFC championship, Super Bowl, NFC championship the past three years AND basically been right there at the end in every game. Add significant injuries and I do get why they would not be very interested in the probowl.

As others said - that team has my respect and will be a very tough opponent for a while. Hoping Kaep never learns how to scan the whole field...