Seattle people used to root for the Niners.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
SF is just down the street, both culturally and geographically, and is actually a hell of a lot like Seattle. In the eighties the Niners were in a different conference than the Seahawks so the rivalry never had the opportunity to arise. Me and a lot people use to root for them back in the days when the real SB was the NFC championship--whoever won would always stomp the hell out of the AFC feeb in the The Big Game. Everybody hated the Cowboys, Joe Montana was cool, the Niners ran the awesome WC offense. I love this new rivalry, but stuff used to be really different.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
I think I rooted for the Bolts more than SF..and the state of Montana....Joe Montana.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
I have to admit I did but my excuse is I born and raised there until I was a teenager and moved to the PNW.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I hated them as early as I can remember. My step brother and step father were both 49ers fans who would laugh relentlessly at my perpetual mediocrity (save those 83-84 years)....So my hatred runs long and deep.

The Outfield

Reaction score
I've only ever rooted for the Hawks. But the hatred for the Niners is relatively new. Krapernick and Harbaugh are the main reasons because they're both such $%#@s.

baumer64

Reaction score
I rooted for the 9ers in the 80's as my second team. Before the Hawks came along, when I was a kid, SF and the Raiders were the closest teams to Washington. So that was who I rooted for. Now? NO WAY!!! I'm so tired of their whining and the arrogance by many of the fans and the team.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Never rooted for them. Preferred the Cowboys, Giants, Packers, Saints, Falcons, etc. Always hated Jerry Rice because I was a die hard Largent fan. Had some neighbors that were 9ers and Chicago Bulls fans so I always hated those 2 teams just because of that.

VivaEfrenHerrera

Reaction score
Well, before the Seahawks were born, the Niners were the closest franchise, so there are lots of folks up and down the PNW who were San Fran fans from waaaayyy back. My mom sometimes talks about eating chili and rooting for Y.A. Tittle back in the day.

The Joe Montana Niners were definitely fun to watch, though and I always enjoyed them. But that was before the internet. If I had only known what types of fans Joe Cool's antics would bring into being...

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
As a Cali native that was relocated north, I followed the Niners closely. In Oregon, they used to broadcast all their games so we were kind of stuck with them. The thing was that they really sucked. So when Walsh turned them around I was impressed and enjoyed them playing well. We had already become Seahawks fans, but they were just developing into a team so it was easy to stay with the Niners.

My mom, a life long Steelers fan teared up when Clark made the "Catch". It was a special time for them, but more than anything, they were just an amazing team back then. Truly special and I just knew that something great would happen every time they played. They could do everything, it wasn't just the offense, it was the entire package. I never became a Niner "fan", buy I always wanted them to win. Until last year, there wasn't a Super Bowl that I didn't want them to win.

I never actually hated anything about the Niners, even the fans were actually funny more than annoying. Then in 2002 I made a visit to a Niner forum. It took one visit to their board to remove years of respect. This was also in the wake of the contract violations, their punishment and their lack of acknowledgement that the Niners front office "cheated" in the worst way you could. Their owner was a convicted felon but awaits entry into the Hall of Fame.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Before the Seahawks..Most of what you would see on tv was the Raiders or 49ers with some LA Rams in between..I was a Raider fan back then- dropped them of course ..I move to Indiana and the Colts came shortly after so they are my 2nd team or AFC favorite but above all else it's always been the Hawks..Huskies..Mariners and Sonics(rip)

Penman96

Reaction score
During the Montana days we were too busy hating the Raiders and the Broncos to care about the 49er's. Speaking strictly for myself however, I did despise the Cowboys more so if the 48er's beat them I wasn't sad.

I always thought they just bought their SuperBowl rings with DeBartolo's money. There wasn't a salary cap then...no way a team like that sticks together in the modern age. Were the 9er's cool? Not for me. They were taking advantage of a system that was inherently unbalanced.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Hard to believe now but before the Seahawks I was a Vikings fan.

Shock2k

Reaction score
Couldn't stand the 49ers though I've always liked Joe Montana. I didn't like any of the teams back in the day that had massive success while my Hawks were in obscurity year after year. Same reason I still don't like the Cowboys or the Bronco's.

Vetamur

Reaction score
From what Ive heard, because of where population transplanted from etc..prior to Seattle having its own franchise a lot of Seattle people were Viking fans. I have no idea if its true..just have had a few people in airports, bars, etc tell me this when Im over here.

OP
OP
Lords of Scythia

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":3mpuntpt said:
I think I rooted for the Bolts more than SF..and the state of Montana....Joe Montana.
Everybody loved Joe Cool. You can't be that old if you're a Seahawks fan and you rooted for SD--we used to be in the same division.

OP
OP
Lords of Scythia

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
The Outfield":1mc2nofy said:
I've only ever rooted for the Hawks. But the hatred for the Niners is relatively new. Krapernick and Harbaugh are the main reasons because they're both such $%#@s.
They do make it easy.

OP
OP
Lords of Scythia

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Vetamur":2p28o5ex said:
From what Ive heard, because of where population transplanted from etc..prior to Seattle having its own franchise a lot of Seattle people were Viking fans. I have no idea if its true..just have had a few people in airports, bars, etc tell me this when Im over here.
No no--a lot of Seattle people were VIKINGS. Especially in Ballard.