3 FA WR's vs Golden Tate

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. RATING: PG-13
Re: 3 FA WR's vs Golden Tate
Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:01 am
  • I love Tate but the team needs to get at least 1 tall WR. Gotta have a big, physical guy that can come back to the football when Wilson scrambles and win jump balls. Wilson deserves to have such a pass catcher on the team. If Harvin and Tate are both earning big money, likely the only way to get a big WR is to finally hit on one in the draft.
    User avatar
    Missing_Clink
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2543
    Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:53 am


Re: 3 FA WR's vs Golden Tate
Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:21 pm
  • HAWKAMANIA wrote:Decker would come at a steep price. He'd be the second coming of Sidney Rice, overpaid and underperforming. Which would describe Percy thus far too.


    Agreed!
    gmor
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 123
    Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:03 pm
    Location: Oak Harbor, WA


Re: 3 FA WR's vs Golden Tate
Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:34 pm
  • EverydayImRusselin wrote:
    SoHo9erFan wrote:question is, can you guys afford Tate?? hate to brake it to you guys, but the salary cap is going to start to hurt you


    I think we are all quite aware. You guys won't be sitting so pretty once Kaepernick gets 18M/yr either.

    Tate will come down to what kind of offers he receives. If he's $6m or less I think we re-sign him. If he wants more I think he'll walk.


    Overpaying for players is the worst thing we can do. With our recent drafting success, JS/Pete should feel less inclined to reach for FA's.
    gmor
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 123
    Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:03 pm
    Location: Oak Harbor, WA


Re: 3 FA WR's vs Golden Tate
Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:52 am
  • To say Harvins contract will cost us Tate is wrong and is just hating on Harvin again. Sydney will be cut and there will be room for GT. I want a tall WR as much as anyone and hope we draft one, but remember GT plays way taller then he is listed.
    User avatar
    getnasty
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 951
    Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:22 pm


Re: 3 FA WR's vs Golden Tate
Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:32 am
  • getnasty wrote:To say Harvins contract will cost us Tate is wrong and is just hating on Harvin again. Sydney will be cut and there will be room for GT.


    In a vacuum sure, but I don't think anyone is talking in a vacuum. Harvin is making 13.5 million next year. True that if/when they cut Rice the differential in salary and dead money between the two will add up to 5-6 million, but folks are talking holistically, not a one-to-one replacement.

    Holistically == in the next two years Russ, Sherm, and ET3 going from making 5 million annually combined to somewhere around 45 million annually combined (if not more; 18 + 15 + 12) if they all stick around.

    The question is, given those constraints, can the team afford to pay Harvin 13.5 million AND pay Tate 8-10 million.

    If so, we're talking a QB, a CB, a FS, and two good but somewhat redundant WRs taking up > 50% of the cap.

    That's not blaming Harvin for anything, it's just being pragmatic, IMO. Tate is the type of very good (but non-indisposable) player that frequently has to be let go in these situations.

    I'm not just "hating" mind you -- I like Harvin, I like Tate, as a team I like the Hawks despite not rooting for them :) -- but as a 9ers fans I've seen these types of players already been shown the door for the same reason (e.g. Goldson, Walker, Sopoaga, Francois). Everybody from the owner down through the coaching staff and all the way to the casual fan wanted to keep these guys, but it just wasn't feasible.
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1503
    Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:58 am


Re: 3 FA WR's vs Golden Tate
Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:36 pm
  • Popeyejones wrote:
    getnasty wrote:To say Harvins contract will cost us Tate is wrong and is just hating on Harvin again. Sydney will be cut and there will be room for GT.


    In a vacuum sure, but I don't think anyone is talking in a vacuum. Harvin is making 13.5 million next year. True that if/when they cut Rice the differential in salary and dead money between the two will add up to 5-6 million, but folks are talking holistically, not a one-to-one replacement.

    Holistically == in the next two years Russ, Sherm, and ET3 going from making 5 million annually combined to somewhere around 45 million annually combined (if not more; 18 + 15 + 12) if they all stick around.

    The question is, given those constraints, can the team afford to pay Harvin 13.5 million AND pay Tate 8-10 million.

    If so, we're talking a QB, a CB, a FS, and two good but somewhat redundant WRs taking up > 50% of the cap.

    That's not blaming Harvin for anything, it's just being pragmatic, IMO. Tate is the type of very good (but non-indisposable) player that frequently has to be let go in these situations.

    I'm not just "hating" mind you -- I like Harvin, I like Tate, as a team I like the Hawks despite not rooting for them :) -- but as a 9ers fans I've seen these types of players already been shown the door for the same reason (e.g. Goldson, Walker, Sopoaga, Francois). Everybody from the owner down through the coaching staff and all the way to the casual fan wanted to keep these guys, but it just wasn't feasible.


    Excellent post and take on the subject. Some fail to understand analytical thinking will sometimes go against the grain. This "hater" thing seems to be most used by the very emotional (perhaps due to an inordinate amount of estrogen).
    User avatar
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6217
    Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:20 pm
    Location: The 5-0


Re: 3 FA WR's vs Golden Tate
Wed May 07, 2014 10:52 am
  • EverydayImRusselin wrote:
    Your estimate of Thomas/Sherman is wrong. Thomas will get ~$10m and Sherman will get ~$12m. That's an increase of $18m/yr. If they cut Clemons and Rice that's a difference of $2.2m/yr (ignoring whoever they would have to sign/draft to replace them). On top of that Miller's cap number decreases by $4m next year so right there they are already covered.


    Just wanted to say I nailed this.
    User avatar
    EverydayImRusselin
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 824
    Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:38 am


Re: 3 FA WR's vs Golden Tate
Wed May 07, 2014 11:36 am
  • EverydayImRusselin wrote:
    EverydayImRusselin wrote:
    Your estimate of Thomas/Sherman is wrong. Thomas will get ~$10m and Sherman will get ~$12m. That's an increase of $18m/yr. If they cut Clemons and Rice that's a difference of $2.2m/yr (ignoring whoever they would have to sign/draft to replace them). On top of that Miller's cap number decreases by $4m next year so right there they are already covered.


    Just wanted to say I nailed this.


    Image
    User avatar
    raisethe3
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 129
    Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:15 pm


Previous


It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:27 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]




Information
  • Who is online