3 FA WR's vs Golden Tate

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. RATING: PG-13
3 FA WR's vs Golden Tate
Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:47 am
  • Seeing as most on this board thinks Golden Tate should be our #1 offseason priority. I did some comparing of stats with 3 other Free Agent WR's who could be similarly or more productive than Tate.

Of these 4 WR's I can see Decker getting the biggest contract probaby 8-10Mil per year, then Tate $5-7mil, then Maclin $5-7mil, then Jones $3-5Mil. My argument here is would it be worth it to spend 2-3 Million more a year on a WR like Decker who brings size and a huge threat in the red zone and would compliment Harvin's skillset. Or for a similar price probably even less money sign take a gamble that Maclin can return to form and upgrade our WR corps. Or go full savings and sign Jones who would provide similar production for much less but is older. Is Tate our best option? If he is I think we still have to invest a 1st or 2nd round pick in 6'2+ WR.

Golden Tate 5'10" 202lbs 25yo
    2010- 21 REC 227 YDS 0 TDS
    2011- 35 REC 382 YDS 3 TDS
    2012- 45 REC 688 YDS 7 TDS
    2013- 64 REC 898 YDS 5 TDS

Jeremy Maclin 6'0 198lbs 25yo
    2010- 70 REC 964 YDS 10 TDS
    2011- 63 REC 859 YDS 5 TDS
    2012- 69 REC 857 YDS 7 TDS
    2013- Torn ACL in preseason

Eric Decker 6'3 214lbs 26yo
    2010- 6 REC 106 YDS 1 TDS
    2011- 44 REC 612 YDS 8 TDS
    2012- 85 REC 1064 YDS 13 TDS
    2013- 87 REC 1288 YDS 11 TDS

James Jones 6'1 208lbs 29yo
    2010- 50 REC 679 YDS 5 TDS
    2011- 38 REC 635 YDS 7 TDS
    2012- 64 REC 784 YDS 14 TDS
    2013- 59 REC 817 YDS 3 TDS
    Wenhawk
    NET Veteran

Re: 3 FA WR's vs Golden Tate
Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:53 am
  • A simple stat comparison doesn't work without context. DEN and GB are extremely pass-happy offenses. SEA is not. Tate's numbers this year in this offense look fantastic. I would rather keep him around and draft Brandon Coleman or something like that.
    "If given the opportunity without fear of incarceration, I would honestly beat the living **** out of Jerry Rice."

--Internet tough guy HawkWow being a MAN on the internet
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest

Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:58 am
  • For our team Golden Tate makes more sense then Decker in my opinion.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:25 pm
  • Add Tate's return yardage to the equation and he is the superior weapon. It would be great to have a Decker type but they can be had much cheaper than Decker, who's numbers doubled with the arrival of Manning. We could practically use Willson in a similar role.

We will remain a run first team and Pete would likely prefer to throw no more than 20 x per contest. Harvin, Baldwin, TATE, Kearse, Miller, Willson, McCoy / ASJ (!), Lynch, Michael (?)...that's 10 targets just right there. Only so many balls to go around and if Harvin can be depended on, I'd like to draft ASJ and call it all good. Just my opinion, of course.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:35 pm
  • Watch out for Jacksonville to offer Tate more than we're willing to pay. Tate would be a huge upgrade to their offense across from Cecil Shorts, I'd expect Bradley to know Tate has more value than his number might suggest, and Jacksonville has cap room.

I don't want to lose either, but if we have to lose a WR, I'd hope it'd be Doug Baldwin to Jacksonville. He's from North Florida which may be a draw for him, and his production would be much easier to replace. Tate is just such a unique talent, we'd be forced to invest a 1st round pick to try and replace him.
    drrew
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:48 pm
  • Couldn't agree more. Pairing Tate with a healthy Harvin would be maddening for defenses. Especially once the line gets resolved and we can let our TEs run. Love Doug, but Kearse is too cheap to let go. As you suggest, it may be a moot point. IF a Jax offers Tate 8+, we have to let him walk, IMO. And I would be much more disappointed than surprised should that happen.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:48 pm
  • I'd say resign Tate, let Rice go and get Decker, draft ASJ as the future replacement for Miller
    washmont
    NET Starter

Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:54 pm
  • Decker would come at a steep price. He'd be the second coming of Sidney Rice, overpaid and underperforming. Which would describe Percy thus far too.
    HAWKAMANIA
    NET Starter

Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:01 pm
  • Watch his one handed TD catch against the Falcons again. Dude is crazy talented. He can and does make all types of catches and is extremely clutch. Tate is also a threat on punt returns, screens. Having him and Harvin as the top two threats is just mind boggling. They're both so similar in what they can do. Hard to stop. Golden is gold.
    DrDix
    NET Rookie

Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:03 pm
  • Also Michael Bennett is the top priority for this team in FA, and no one can convince me otherwise. At the least, he is co-top priority with Tate.
    "If given the opportunity without fear of incarceration, I would honestly beat the living **** out of Jerry Rice."

Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:03 pm
  • washmont wrote:I'd say resign Tate, let Rice go and get Decker, draft ASJ as the future replacement for Miller

Re-sign you mean?
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:06 pm
  • HawkWow wrote:Couldn't agree more. Pairing Tate with a healthy Harvin would be maddening for defenses. Especially once the line gets resolved and we can let our TEs run. Love Doug, but Kearse is too cheap to let go. As you suggest, it may be a moot point. IF a Jax offers Tate 8+, we have to let him walk, IMO. And I would be much more disappointed than surprised should that happen.

If they pay Tate 8 million, let him walk and draft somebody. Not even Jacksonville is that stupid so I think the entire premise is invalid but whatever.
    43-8...it's all about that action boss....
    next man up.
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:09 pm
  • Decker is going to get 6/60 - 6/70, so no way we could fit him in even if we wanted to. Would you rather have Decker or Bennett?

I would pay 5/30 for Tate before I got nervous about the budget. He's worth it to me. The thing about Jax is that they have Blackmon, Sanders, and Shorts. I think that they are more likely to try and pay Bennett than Tate.

Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:54 pm
  • i'd pay Bennett over Tate but I'd like to keep Tate around, a 5/30 seems perfect to me. Danny Amendola and Brian Hartline both are good #2 WR's and received 5y/31mil deals. I could see Tate take a 5/35 from Jax or someone else I'm hoping his relationship with Wilson gives us a small discount.
    Wenhawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:04 pm
  • Bennett must stay.

I want Tate back too.

Maybe add Nicks to this list if he can be brought in cheap? He was really bad this year though.
    NFL, all your Owlz are belong to us!
    12th_Bob
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:14 pm
  • Sign Tate, Baldwin, get Percy healthy then draft a WR with size. Our WR core is really good if Percy can stay healthy. I realize that hasn't been the case yet, but keep in mind were still 13-3.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:23 pm
  • Isn't Riley Cooper a FA too? I would take him over Decker at half price. He also seems pretty well liked by his Eagles teammates, which says a lot after the controversy earlier this year.
    "It was so loud Derrick Coleman heard it."
    Thunderhawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:23 pm
  • Yuck @ Cooper, I realize he has some talent but this year Seattle should draft a couple WR, this draft is pretty stacked I think for WRs.
    NFL, all your Owlz are belong to us!
    12th_Bob
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:26 pm
  • getnasty wrote:Sign Tate, Baldwin, get Percy healthy then draft a WR with size. Our WR core is really good if Percy can stay healthy. I realize that hasn't been the case yet, but keep in mind were still 13-3.

That's my thinking plus Bennett. Bennett is a priority even over Tate.
    43-8...it's all about that action boss....
    next man up.
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:29 pm
  • Thunderhawk wrote:Isn't Riley Cooper a FA too? I would take him over Decker at half price. He also seems pretty well liked by his Eagles teammates, which says a lot after the controversy earlier this year.

Cooper told them he was "very, very, very sorry". Damn I wish I had a 10 spot for every time he used the word "very" during those weeks. LOL. The whole thing was absolute BS that should never had been a story. I like your substitution for the (likely) over-priced Decker. Cooper would be a great complement to our corps.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:39 pm
  • The Outfield wrote:
    washmont wrote:I'd say resign Tate, let Rice go and get Decker, draft ASJ as the future replacement for Miller

Re-sign you mean?

Grammar Nazi
    washmont
    NET Starter

Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:00 pm
  • washmont wrote:
    The Outfield wrote:
    washmont wrote:I'd say resign Tate, let Rice go and get Decker, draft ASJ as the future replacement for Miller

Re-sign you mean?

Grammar Nazi

There's quite a simple difference between those two very different words. :th2thumbs:
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:52 pm
  • Tate is a lot better than his stats. Honestly I don't see a way for them to keep him, and the same goes for Bennett. One thing they might be able to do is franchise one of them for a year, and then let him go for Wilson's payday. That might actually be feasible.

If anything, I'm guessing they'll need to let them both walk (assuming Sherm and Thomas are both signed), and then pick up one of the nice leftover pieces towards the end of FA on a one year deal (a la Bennett), or trade a pittance for someone who will need to be cut for cap reasons and who only has a year left on his deal (a la Anquan Boldin).
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:55 pm
  • Got to remember we are likely to cut Rice and Clemons saving about 12mil
    Wenhawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:41 am
  • question is, can you guys afford Tate?? hate to brake it to you guys, but the salary cap is going to start to hurt you
    SoHo9erFan
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:37 am
  • SoHo9erFan wrote:question is, can you guys afford Tate?? hate to brake it to you guys, but the salary cap is going to start to hurt you

I think we are all quite aware. You guys won't be sitting so pretty once Kaepernick gets 18M/yr either.

Tate will come down to what kind of offers he receives. If he's $6m or less I think we re-sign him. If he wants more I think he'll walk.
    EverydayImRusselin
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:27 am
  • I Want to keep Tate, but Bennett must be considered since he is a keeper. Also the draft is full of WR talent this year.
    Opinion has caused more trouble on this little earth than plagues or earthquakes.
    -Voltaire
    HawkMeat
    NET Starter

Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:43 am
  • Wenhawk wrote:Got to remember we are likely to cut Rice and Clemons saving about 12mil

If they cut both, but if they're also likely to resign Thomas and Sherman, that will be costing about 25-30 million.

Rice is guaranteed to be gone IMO, but if they can keep Clemons or Bennett, Clemons is the most likely one to stay I think, as he'll be on the last year of his deal and then can be cleared out for Wilson's payday (the same isn't true of Bennett, as he'll require a new, multi-year deal). They have an out that allows them to cut Percy Harvin which would save 11 million on the cap next year and that MIGHT allow for the resigning of Tate, but that would be a pretty big move if they make it.
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:03 am
  • Popeyejones wrote:
    Wenhawk wrote:Got to remember we are likely to cut Rice and Clemons saving about 12mil

If they cut both, but if they're also likely to resign Thomas and Sherman, that will be costing about 25-30 million.

Rice is guaranteed to be gone IMO, but if they can keep Clemons or Bennett, Clemons is the most likely one to stay I think, as he'll be on the last year of his deal and then can be cleared out for Wilson's payday (the same isn't true of Bennett, as he'll require a new, multi-year deal). They have an out that allows them to cut Percy Harvin which would save 11 million on the cap next year and that MIGHT allow for the resigning of Tate, but that would be a pretty big move if they make it.

Your estimate of Thomas/Sherman is wrong. Thomas will get ~$10m and Sherman will get ~$12m. That's an increase of $18m/yr. If they cut Clemons and Rice that's a difference of $2.2m/yr (ignoring whoever they would have to sign/draft to replace them). On top of that Miller's cap number decreases by $4m next year so right there they are already covered.
    EverydayImRusselin
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:33 pm
  • EverydayImRusselin wrote:Your estimate of Thomas/Sherman is wrong. Thomas will get ~$10m and Sherman will get ~$12m.

You're of course free to disagree, but I'm not "wrong" about something that hasn't happened yet. I said 25-30 million. You're saying 22 million. I think my estimate is more accurate.

Here's why:

*You're saying Thomas will get about 10 million per. Last year as a 29 year old Goldson got 9 million per. Earl Thomas is a much superior player to Goldson (which everyone agrees about), and he's also 24 years old. Goldson is an inferior player who had peaked or just past his prime upon signing, whereas is Thomas is a superior player who has yet to enter what are thought to be his prime years. In my opinion, on the open market, for both of these reasons he will be offered a SIGNIFICANT amount more than Goldson. I'd guess in the range of 12 million.

*You're saying Richard Sherman will get about 12 million per. Two years ago as a 28 year old Cortland Finnegan got 12 million per (I'm leaving out Revis because his contract has no bonus, he was coming off a major injury, etc. -- it's just a goofy contract and an atypical situation). Richard Sherman is MUCH superior player to Cortland Finnegan, and is also 25. Finnegan was also toward the tail end of his prime when he signed his deal, and Sherman will be on the front end of his prime. Sherman is a much, much better player, and a younger one to boot. Expecting him to get the same contract as Finnegan is pretty crazy. I think we can expect him to get 14-15 million per.

Combined, I think we're talking 26-27 million, right in the sweet spot of the 25-30 rough range I gave.

If you disagree and would like to try convince me why Thomas will only make what Goldson made and Sherman will only make what Finnegan made I'm all ears*, but I'm certainly not "wrong" about something we're both projecting, and to be honest, I think I'm being pretty conservative in my expectations.

*(maybe you think Thomas and Sherman are both worse players than Goldson and Finnegan? You think the market prefers players closer to 30 than 25 year old All Pros? I really don't know).
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:44 pm
  • Popeyejones wrote:
    EverydayImRusselin wrote:Your estimate of Thomas/Sherman is wrong. Thomas will get ~$10m and Sherman will get ~$12m.

You're of course free to disagree, but I'm not "wrong" about something that hasn't happened yet. I said 25-30 million. You're saying 22 million. I think my estimate is more accurate.

Here's why:

*You're saying Thomas will get about 10 million per. Last year as a 29 year old Goldson got 9 million per. Earl Thomas is a much superior player to Goldson (which everyone agrees about), and he's also 24 years old. Goldson is an inferior player who had peaked or just past his prime upon signing, whereas is Thomas is a superior player who has yet to enter what are thought to be his prime years. In my opinion, on the open market, for both of these reasons he will be offered a SIGNIFICANT amount more than Goldson. I'd guess in the range of 12 million.

*You're saying Richard Sherman will get about 12 million per. Two years ago as a 28 year old Cortland Finnegan got 12 million per (I'm leaving out Revis because his contract has no bonus, he was coming off a major injury, etc. -- it's just a goofy contract and an atypical situation). Richard Sherman is MUCH superior player to Cortland Finnegan, and is also 25. Finnegan was also toward the tail end of his prime when he signed his deal, and Sherman will be on the front end of his prime. Sherman is a much, much better player, and a younger one to boot. Expecting him to get the same contract as Finnegan is pretty crazy. I think we can expect him to get 14-15 million per.

Combined, I think we're talking 26-27 million, right in the sweet spot of the 25-30 rough range I gave.

If you disagree and would like to try convince me why Thomas will only make what Goldson made and Sherman will only make what Finnegan made I'm all ears*, but I'm certainly not "wrong" about something we're both projecting, and to be honest, I think I'm being pretty conservative in my expectations.

*(maybe you think Thomas and Sherman are both worse players than Goldson and Finnegan? You think the market prefers players closer to 30 than 25 year old All Pros? I really don't know).

It's all speculation of course, but I don't think they are going to spend $30M+ on the secondary alone. Schneider is a very good GM and I'm sure he realizes that spending 11m on Percy, 12m on Thomas, 15m on Sherman and then the inevitable 20m on Wilson is a surefire way to lose the success they've had. That's almost half the salary cap on 4 players.
    EverydayImRusselin
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:48 pm
  • Tate has been better for you guys than I ever would have thought.

I wouldn't touch Decker with a 10 foot pole. That's all Manning.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:52 pm
  • SoHo9erFan wrote:question is, can you guys afford Tate?? hate to brake it to you guys, but the salary cap is going to start to hurt you

Thanks for "braking" it to us. Never would have thought about it otherwise
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:53 pm
  • EverydayImRusselin wrote:It's all speculation of course, but I don't think they are going to spend $30M+ on the secondary alone. Schneider is a very good GM and I'm sure he realizes that spending 11m on Percy, 12m on Thomas, 15m on Sherman and then the inevitable 20m on Wilson is a surefire way to lose the success they've had. That's almost half the salary cap on 4 players.

Okay, gotcha. My post was conditioned on them resigning both Sherman and Thomas. Agreed that's a VERY tall task, and that if they let one of those two walk, they'll definitely be able to put that money somewhere else.
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:55 pm
  • Marvin49 wrote:Tate has been better for you guys than I ever would have thought.

Agreed about both Tate and Decker. Tate has started to get some national love in the second half of this season, but he's still underrated, IMO. I think a fair number of teams will be all over him. He deserves it. Heck, including injury history and coachability into the equation I might even like him a hair more than Harvin, and I really like Harvin a lot.
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:14 pm
  • Popeyejones wrote:
    Wenhawk wrote:They have an out that allows them to cut Percy Harvin which would save 11 million on the cap next year and that MIGHT allow for the resigning of Tate, but that would be a pretty big move if they make it.

Aside from being a stupid move imo, cutting Percy is not a viable option because doing so after this year would result in a $9.6M cap hit in 2014 due to his "dead money".

link to Harvin's cap hits... http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seah ... cy-harvin/
    your Superbowl XLVIII Champion Seattle Seahawks.. how sweet is that!!
    onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:23 pm
  • Both will take less to stay in seattle. I think ET gets $10M per year but could be set up so it only counts as 8 for the next 2 or 3 years then goes up. And if Sherman wants more than $14m we let him walk. With Maxwell Lane and WE we'd still be an Avg secondary. Maybe Tharold Simon steps right in.
    Wenhawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:34 pm
  • onanygivensunday wrote:
    Popeyejones wrote:
    Wenhawk wrote:They have an out that allows them to cut Percy Harvin which would save 11 million on the cap next year and that MIGHT allow for the resigning of Tate, but that would be a pretty big move if they make it.

Aside from being a stupid move imo, cutting Percy is not a viable option because doing so after this year would result in a $9.6M cap hit in 2014 due to his "dead money".

link to Harvin's cap hits... http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seah ... cy-harvin/

Ah, thanks for the correction. Thought his contract was structured differently. They'd save 4 million, not 11.
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:42 pm
  • Tate is fantastic and I want him on the Hawks for years to come.
    The new Santa Clara stadium name?..........Dungaree Dump
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:43 pm
  • Wenhawk wrote:Both will take less to stay in seattle.

We know this how? I guess we'll see. 9ers fans like to tell themselves the same thing about their players, but personally I think it's bogus and just fans being greedy.

It's fans being greedy because they've ALREADY gotten to root for these guys for a pittance. Richard Sherman is the best CB in the league and he has been getting paid hundreds of thousands less than Chris Maragos for three years now. Earl Thomas is the best FS in the league and he's making the same as Paul McQuistan. Fans should be happy that they've gotten these guys for a song, not expecting them to keep on taking money out of their own pockets when they've got really short shelf lives as far careers go and non-guaranteed contracts. Heck, I think getting both of these guys for 25-27 million per probably WOULD be a hometown discount. They're both All Pros, the best at their position in the league, and they're 25 and 24 years old. Even with hometown discounts were talking the biggest contracts at their position yet I'd think, and that's very well deserved.
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:50 pm
  • Decker is the 3rd guy Manning looks at so he probabbly doesn't get the coverage like he would on a team like the Raiders....Not a fan..with rather have Tate as he is more versatile. Decker's off field reality crap show also isn't good for a guy who we would want to be a #1 here. Too much other stuff on the go is not good...

Maclin is good but coming off ACL which is a risk.

I really don't hink any of these guys are gonna take a hometown discount especially if we take home Vince's mug this year!
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions 2014.02.02 Seahawks 43 Broncos 8
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:01 pm
  • Now that we are back on topic, I expect player retention and contract adjustments to be the off season priority. I don't see them chasing or bidding on any high profile free agents out there. I do think the Sidney Rice contract will be either terminated and or renegotiated at some point in time. This coming off season will be an opportunity to take another look at a physical red line receiver and a hybrid wide receiver.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:45 pm
  • I hope we keep Tate.

If Seattle does sign a FA WR, I'd assume it would be of the bargain bin variety like Stephen Williams. The guy on the top of my wishlist (again) is Danario Alexander. He can't stay healthy and he's basically only had half of one season of production, but he's 6'5", he runs very well after the catch and he'd add instant fear and respect for our WR group for as long as he's out there. You could probably get him for 1 year, $1 million, and if healthy he'd be the exact kind of deep sideline weapon that Seattle needs.

I'd also trade quite a bit for Josh Gordon, though it appears he isn't going anywhere now that Michael Lombardi has finally realized the obvious.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:26 pm
  • Thunderhawk wrote:Isn't Riley Cooper a FA too? I would take him over Decker at half price. He also seems pretty well liked by his Eagles teammates, which says a lot after the controversy earlier this year.

I like him ,I think he would fit in well with the Hawks..
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:48 pm
  • Popeyejones wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:Tate has been better for you guys than I ever would have thought.

Agreed about both Tate and Decker. Tate has started to get some national love in the second half of this season, but he's still underrated, IMO. I think a fair number of teams will be all over him. He deserves it. Heck, including injury history and coachability into the equation I might even like him a hair more than Harvin, and I really like Harvin a lot.

And this one of the reasons I've been pissed, if not livid, that Harvin elected to have his pre-season surgery. Who didn't see this coming with Tate? When Harvin was signed, Tate instantly voiced his displeasure. ..then subsequently backed off, "welcoming" Harvin aboard. I think some of that was his bro, RW.

I also think Tate and Wilson probably stepped up their personal training sessions immediately after. I am not surprised in the least that Tate tore it up this year in harvin's absence. His production would likely have been half of what it was, and his expected pay much less as well. Now Tate, once known as "the poor man's Percy harvin" is about to become the rich man's Golden Tate. Is the Hawk org. that "rich man" or will someone else now benefit from a (finally) complete Golden Tate?

I've backed off of Harvin because of this theory that he's going to take the field...but if we lose Tate and get stuck with a sometimes available Harvin, this trade will go down as the worst in franchise history, whether you wear #11 pajamas or not.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:01 pm
  • HawkWow wrote:I've backed off of Harvin because of this theory that he's going to take the field...but if we lose Tate and get stuck with a sometimes available Harvin, this trade will go down as the worst in franchise history, whether you wear #11 pajamas or not.

Nothing will ever come close to giving up the rights to Tony Dorsett. Also worse would be the Deion Branch trade. Also worse would be giving up Ahman Green for Fred Vinson who was worse than Kelly Jennings.
    FIRE CABLE! 6 Home Games 9 False Starts By Linemen Lack Of Discipline
    BASF
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:19 pm
  • Good pts. But they all fall short. Harvin could cost us a 1st, a 3rd, a 7th and Golden Tate. It would take some creativity to make any of those deals appear as bad.

Dorsett, as awesome as he was, would have been running behind an expansion team line in Seattle. No telling how that would have went.

Ahman was a 3rd rd pick. Regardless of how great he became (thanks Holmy) he cost us a 3rd.

We gave a single 1st for Branch. And IIRC, got a 3rd in return for him.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:08 pm
  • I like Percy Harvin, Golden Tate, Doug Baldwin and Jermaine Kearse. All home grown receivers with exceptional ball handling skills that fit the system.

As for Tate, I wouldn't give him up. Seeing a receiver that's willing to lay some wood on a DB in order to get a couple more yards is priceless.

Unless they fall off, I want to keep the guys that are getting us a first round bye and home field throughout the playoffs.
    Shock2k
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:16 pm
  • Shock2k wrote:I like Percy Harvin, Golden Tate, Doug Baldwin and Jermaine Kearse. All home grown receivers with exceptional ball handling skills that fit the system.

As for Tate, I wouldn't give him up. Seeing a receiver that's willing to lay some wood on a DB in order to get a couple more yards is priceless.

Unless they fall off, I want to keep the guys that are getting us a first round bye and home field throughout the playoffs.

This. And unsure what message it sends to the rest of the league (FAs) as well. If we're not doing well with this group...upgrade. Everybody understands this is a business and when players are not pulling their weight, an upgrade is compulsory. But when your players give you wayyy more than they are paid, while winning, you have to take care of them, IMO.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:27 pm
  • Where's Tates YAC compared to those dudes as well?
    Conference Championships: NFC: 2005, 2013
    Division Campionships: AFC West: 1988, 1999 NFC West: 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2013
    Superbowl Championships: 2013 XLVIII Final Score: Sea 43 Den 8.. SUCK IT

The Radish
    Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:10 pm: Please don't offend The Fonz like that. :roll:
    :les:
    Exittium
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:20 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information