After watching the Arizona game twice...

Tokadub

Reaction score
So I went back and watched this game again even though it was quite painful haha. I'm sure many have already made these observations but here's a quick little evaluation.

1) We had stretches of very nice and productive plays when we ran to the edges and did short and quick passes.

Unfortunately it seems like our touchdown attempts were stuffed trying to run it multiple times straight up the middle. There were times when Lynch would hit some guys and instead of bouncing for the edge where it was open he went right back up the middle trying to force it. Not sure if Lynch failed to make the play or was instructed to run the middle no matter what.

So all the talk of we only tried long passes is not true. Our short ones were very effective early on but we abandoned it and killed our touchdown drives with runs up the middle. Not sure why we stopped what was working with both short passes and running to the edge.

2) Russell Wilson did not play as bad as everyone is saying. Yes he did have a handful of bad throws but he had just as many if not more great ones which our guys failed to catch. These balls were literally falling right between guys hands or bouncing off of them.

His accuracy was very good on a lot of incompletions our guys have to make those plays.

3) Our offensive line is a huge failure. People seem to be putting the blame on Russell but our pass blocking was pretty pathetic on further review. Even on plays where Russell seemed to have some decent time in reality our pocket was rapidly shrinking and I don't blame Russell when he started to try to scramble a bit. It was like the entire game guys were just a second away from tackling him with all sorts of huge gaps for any defender to join the action.

If the goal is to make Russell more of a stand up pocket passer I really don't think our offensive line is capable to do it. They simply are not reliable at all and get pushed all over the place causing Russell to be in constant danger.

Also at times guys ran right through the line of scrimmage at us untouched, this is unacceptable.

4) Russell appears to always try to force the throw now instead of running. I've noticed this since the start of the season Russell has been standing in the pocket a lot more and running a lot less.

There were multiple plays where I think Russell could have ran for a gain or first down but instead tried to force the pass and ended up throwing it away since our receivers were no where near what kind of position they should be for Russell to make the play.

If we are going to force the pass and not let Russell run it we need to design plays where we have someone ready to bail him out if pocket collapses. Instead we had like one guy fully covered 25 yards down the field and everyone else on the opposite side from where he scrambled... No choice but to throw it away.

I can only assume it is our coaches telling Russell to go through all his progressions and force the throw. In reality with our terrible offensive line the moment Russell senses danger and that the play will fail as designed he needs to just take off down field. There are very few defenders who can stop him from picking up yards when he is decisive and just burst in a different direction. Once again this kind of offense would be more effective with someone ready to bail out Wilson if he's not gonna pick up nice yards on the run.

We really had no one there for him to make a play pretty pathetic. It's like our play calling was all assuming we would have a ton of time in a big pocket...

5) Defense is getting very discouraged with our offense. If you looked at the guys at halftime you would think we are down 20 points not tied 3-3. At times it seemed Sherman was pretty fed up despite his professional comments after the game.

6) Pretty much all our key guys seemed to get hurt or banged up in this game. Tate, Baldwin, Kearse, Thomas, Lane. Lynch seems like something is wrong too. A lot of them were limping around etc, hope none of those are seriously hurt but I'm sure if they are we'd probably just force them to play and keep it quiet for now.

7) Coaching staff looked panicked, mildly upset, indecisive. Never seen Pete look like that. Have a feeling him and Bevell are not seeing eye to eye and I believe Caroll might have been more involved with the play calling than usual. Whenever they showed Caroll he looked kinda distraught or confused/indecisive.

I also think Bevell is the reason we had the delay of game on the 5 yard line. I think he can't make up his mind how to get us touchdowns anymore... Not a good sign.

Overall really couldn't believe we only scored 10 points even after watching it a second time.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
jamsomatic":vvweo1zy said:
You left out Okung. He limped and limped in the last two games. I think he is gutting it out BIG TIME

Could this be true? If so, he'll likely never make it to the Super Bowl.

jamsomatic

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":19azaw0j said:
jamsomatic":19azaw0j said:
You left out Okung. He limped and limped in the last two games. I think he is gutting it out BIG TIME

A bye would help!!! I saw what I saw in NYC. Limping testing it kicking it into the ground hands on hips favoring etc. I thought he should've bee taken out. He's a tough sob-the anti-percy

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":139bhxqs said:
jamsomatic":139bhxqs said:

If Seahawks win on Sunday, the team would have a bye, two games, another bye, and then the Superbowl assuming we win.

Turf toe injuries a tough, painful , and annoying but you can play through them.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Thanks for the review. Interesting that there's no outlet/dump off guy for Russ to throw to when everything else is covered (Lynch?). This seems like such a basic thing and like it ought to be a necessity considering the WRs have issues getting open at times (something you also mentioned).

If I were on the defense, I would've been pretty upset too.

If this team does not get to the Super Bowl, the o-line will be by far the biggest reason IMO and you supported that opinion. I was pretty sure I saw guys come untouched several times and you verified that. You'd think even with Bowie in there that assignments would be pretty dialed in by now but I guess not (Cable?). I do believe Unger is basically playing with one arm due to the pec tear and that it's hurting us tremendously because out guards are below even average NFL standards.

Bevell sucking? Would've never guessed. :sarcasm_off:

The Outfield

Reaction score
I was so shocked how little attention we paid to the OL in the off season. That might be our downfall.

seahawks08

Reaction score
There is no down fall, every team has weaknesses, you play to your strengths. Let Russel run and make some plays, let him get some rhythm and he will be fine.

ShaunPope

Reaction score
I really hope our coaches aren't telling Russell not to run when he senses things collapsing around him. That's one of his biggest assets and completely asinine of the coaches to tell him not to run. If that's true, I really worry about the future direction of our offense. Just flat out stupid to take away one of your biggest weapons.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Tokadub":388h1vv4 said:
So I went back and watched this game again even though it was quite painful haha. I'm sure many have already made these observations but here's a quick little evaluation.

3) Our offensive line is a huge failure. People seem to be putting the blame on Russell but our pass blocking was pretty pathetic on further review. Even on plays where Russell seemed to have some decent time in reality our pocket was rapidly shrinking and I don't blame Russell when he started to try to scramble a bit. It was like the entire game guys were just a second away from tackling him with all sorts of huge gaps for any defender to join the action.

If the goal is to make Russell more of a stand up pocket passer I really don't think our offensive line is capable to do it. They simply are not reliable at all and get pushed all over the place causing Russell to be in constant danger.

Also at times guys ran right through the line of scrimmage at us untouched, this is unacceptable.

4) Russell appears to always try to force the throw now instead of running. I've noticed this since the start of the season Russell has been standing in the pocket a lot more and running a lot less.

We really had no one there for him to make a play pretty pathetic. It's like our play calling was all assuming we would have a ton of time in a big pocket...

5) Defense is getting very discouraged with our offense. If you looked at the guys at halftime you would think we are down 20 points not tied 3-3. At times it seemed Sherman was pretty fed up despite his professional comments after the game.

7) Coaching staff looked panicked, mildly upset, indecisive. Never seen Pete look like that. Have a feeling him and Bevell are not seeing eye to eye and I believe Caroll might have been more involved with the play calling than usual. Whenever they showed Caroll he looked kinda distraught or confused/indecisive.

Overall really couldn't believe we only scored 10 points even after watching it a second time.

Thanks for taking the time to do this. I "blocked" out text that I completely agree with. There has been a lot of people coming untouched this year, and Carp holding then letting the guy sack Russell? WTH?

This is the first game where Pete wasn't all excited and jumping up and down throughout the game. In the second half he constantly looked concerned like he had zero confidence. I HATED seeing that because the teams sees it too.

OP
OP
Tokadub

Tokadub

Reaction score
So I just watched a few of our first half offensive drives again to focus even more on the offensive line. It seems like Unger especially played very poorly, people were blowing right past him 1 on 1, it seems he needs help with a double team to stop anyone.

It's harder to say with Okung but given he was a probowler and our offensive line is struggling so much I think it's safe to say he's hurting.

I think we can really pin the run game failures on our offensive line. I'm watching multiple plays where not only do we not create a gap at the line for Lynch, but dudes are straight up running right through our line virtually untouched and hitting him in the back field. It's quite crazy to watch some of these plays to be honest.

Took a few screenshots to capture these coaching issues I've been noticing with how they look on sidelines.

These ones all occur right before and during 3rd down before our failed FG attempt.

2r3inuc

Looks a little bit like Harbaugh right there while yelling at Michael Robinson

Vxd7v7

Carrol still looks quite dissatisfied, Bevell looks kinda scared.

2u4nabq

Carrol takes control of the situation.

2jbkzrp

2iigb5k

Play fails. Lynch runs left with fake hand off, Michael Robinson crosses to right to fake block and then attempts to pop out for a wide open touch down. Instead gets caught behind our guy holding with a guy freight training unchecked and about to destroy Wilson who has nobody open.

Pretty sure Carroll really took control of the situation here and Bevell looks very out of place. Almost feel sorry for him looking so lost here haha. I think these images sum up our offensive performance in that game pretty well :(

2r76l4k

And yes I have way too much time on my hands tonight posting these.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
Lolz. I watched the game again.

Offense doesn't look quite as bad as I remember.

We just really failed to make some high leverage plays (read: 3rd down/red zone) by the tips of our fingers.

The Radish

Reaction score
Come on guys, its friday of the next week. As much as I appreciate the hard work and thought put into this post lets move on to the current weeks game and its importance.

:les:

Largent80

Reaction score
I could not watch the game Sunday and I have nfl rewind and did not watch it. There is nothing to be gleaned from watching it for me. Time to move on, we have everything on the line this Sunday and that is exciting.