Recent talk of expanding playoffs

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. RATING: PG-13
Recent talk of expanding playoffs
Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:10 am
  • Normally not a topic I'd wade into because I really don't feel strongly about it either way but I've seen a couple of articles on the topic in the past couple of days and given the interesting predicament that the AZ Cardinals may find themselves in this season (potentially missing the playoffs with 10 wins, which happens - ask the 2012 Bears), I thought it might be an interesting topic of discussion around here...

That said, here are the articles.

FieldGulls (based on AFL playoff structure - 16 teams)
    http://www.fieldgulls.com/seahawks-note ... -solutions

ESPN (based on 14 team format if you follow the link included in the article)
    http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/ ... d-playoffs

Personally (if I had to choose between the two), I like the idea of eliminating a single pre-season game while adding an additional bye week for each team (including a mandated 4 days off during one of the byes). Seems like a change that the NFLPA may actually support.
    RockHawk wrote:This has turned into nothing but a personal attack, which goes against our forum rules...... I'll allow it.
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

Re: Recent talk of expanding playoffs
Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:43 am
  • The 14 team format doesn't seem too bad it does make getting that number 1 seed that more important. But I just don't wanna see it change from the format they have now because with each team you add to the playoffs to me it just kinda takes the excitement away from making it to the playoffs especially if they made it 16 teams.
    HoRneR
    NET Rookie

Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:47 am
  • HoRneR wrote:The 14 team format doesn't seem too bad it does make getting that number 1 seed that more important. But I just don't wanna see it change from the format they have now because with each team you add to the playoffs to me it just kinda takes the excitement away from making it to the playoffs especially if they made it 16 teams.

I tend to agree. Though I think support may ebb and flow due to how terrible some of the teams who actually make it might be. The only positive that I see to expanding the playoffs would be seeing non-division winners with better records than some of the weaker divisions at that time having the opportunity to advance based on the merit of their performance w/out taking away the incentive (home field advantage) of winning your division.
    RockHawk wrote:This has turned into nothing but a personal attack, which goes against our forum rules...... I'll allow it.
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:55 am
  • so the regular season is mostly worthless now?
    Axx
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:59 am
  • Axx wrote:so the regular season is mostly worthless now?

Well, that's not exactly a subject that can be viewed objectively as far as I can tell. I'm not defending a change but your rhetorical question does compel me to ask why you draw that conclusion. You didn't exactly provide any information...
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:10 pm
  • I absolutely do not want an expanded playoff format. What we have now is perfect for a 32-team league. It's already hard enough to find a worthy team in some of the divisions we have. *Cough, NFC Least*
    Rams bet status: honored. Bradford still sucks.
    RedAlice is right.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:17 pm
  • Wasn't this an issue during negotiations? Is it not allowed until next cba?
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:37 pm
  • This is a bad idea. The NFL playoffs are already too much of a crapshoot with 12 teams. At least in the NBA and NHL, their permissive playoff brackets are balanced out by 7 game series that help reduce the odds of fluke outcomes. In the NFL, one bad play and your season can be over, which is why surprisingly few #1 seeds win championships, at least when compared to other sports.

Going to 14 or 16 teams will only lower the significance of seeding which means both a watered down playoffs and a less relevant regular season. The only positives are that it will make the NFL a little more money, and they didn't really need help there, and it would also eliminate the unfairness of 10 or 11 win teams missing the playoffs, which only happens once in a blue moon anyway.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:37 pm
  • It is absolutely perfect the way it is right now at 37% of the teams making it to the playoffs. Anything over 40% in any sport just feels like a reward for mediocrity. Don't even get me started on best-of-x crap; one and done is awesome as it's always on the weekend and not drawn out over two weeks.
    253hawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:24 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:I absolutely do not want an expanded playoff format. What we have now is perfect for a 32-team league. It's already hard enough to find a worthy team in some of the divisions we have. *Cough, NFC Least*

Agreed. I remember the league howling a few years back that a 7-9 Seattle beat the previous years Super Bowl champs.
    42-13, 29-3, and 23-17 and a Lombardi trophy from THIS millennium.....deal with it niner trolls

SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:29 pm
  • With division seeding though, that's going to happen from time to time. Would it have been any different if we were 8-8 or 9-7 and still hosting an 11-5 SB defending team? The 8-8 '85 Browns hosted the 12-4 Dolphins (#2 pass offense in the league) and almost won; I don't remember anyone giving a rip about W/L and seeding back then. If you're such a good team, go beat some scrub in their own house. No excuses.
    253hawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:49 pm
  • Dumb.
    Coug_Hawk08
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:18 pm
  • I like the AFL model with 18 games and 3 preseason games with 2 byes in the regular season. If you're top 4 you're never one and done so what happened to New Orleans in 2010 likely would have allowed them a good shot at the NFC championship despite our wonderful upset. Even though under that setup we would have been the 5 seed as we deserved. If they could get away with 2 preseason games even better.
    43-8...it's all about that action boss....
    next man up.
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:17 pm
  • The NFL needs to stop trying to fix what's not broken. Goodell sucks so bad.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:45 pm
  • I suppose you would prefer 14 games with 3 divisions and 1 wildcard? Things change and evolve even MLB is starting to understand that.
    43-8...it's all about that action boss....
    next man up.
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:54 pm
  • Hate it!
    The_Z_Man
    NET Starter

Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:06 pm
  • KCHawkGirl wrote:I suppose you would prefer 14 games with 3 divisions and 1 wildcard? Things change and evolve even MLB is starting to understand that.

For the longest time, MLB had 26 teams playing a total of 2100+ games per season with only 4 teams making the playoffs. Their system was utterly stupid; any change was better than what was in place.
    253hawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:12 pm
  • The Outfield wrote:The NFL needs to stop trying to fix what's not broken. Goodell sucks so bad.

It is about making more money not fixing anything. They wanted to go 18 games that got shut down. They want TNF but it sucks as a product.

This is the best they have right now
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:43 pm
  • Goodell wants to have his legacy remembered like Tags and Rozell, as of now he has managed to discredit the work that those two have done.

Pretty soon players will be wearing liatards and Tutu's.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Used to be an Alumni till they pulled a USC on me...
    .Net official Clueless, Dumbass, Douche, Simpleton, CensoredTard , Idiot, member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:05 am
  • You're speaking about Tagliabue in a positive light, Chris?

SMH.
    Rams bet status: honored. Bradford still sucks.
    RedAlice is right.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:05 am
  • stupid idea...let teams into the playoffs year after year with losing records...yes I know the Seahawks did it once but that was different as everyone sucked in the west that year. against it!!
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions 2014.02.02 Seahawks 43 Broncos 8
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:30 pm
  • Tags claim to fame is mostly his ability to get the revenue generation machine going with TV contracts. He coat tailed the rest of Rozelles ideas.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Used to be an Alumni till they pulled a USC on me...
    .Net official Clueless, Dumbass, Douche, Simpleton, CensoredTard , Idiot, member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:01 am
  • The Outfield wrote:The NFL needs to stop trying to fix what's not broken. Goodell sucks so bad.

This.

That POS is always trying to tinker with something and this something shouldn't be tinkered with. If they increase the teams, the NFL will turn into the NHL and the regular season won't mean squat anymore.

Ditto for expanding the regular season to 18 games and destroying all the records set from the past.
    Sturm
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:46 am

This. So much this. The current NFL format of 32 teams and 16 games is just.. mathematically perfect and they should keep it forever! Playoff format is great to, no format will ever be "fair" to everyone, so they might aswell keep the current one.
    Swedishhawkfan
    NET Veteran

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:00 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information