Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ NFL NATION ]

Post subject: Re: Matt Flynn sucks
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:37 pm 
NET Veteran

seahawk2k wrote:
Funny how the guy gets beat out of a job by a rare, transcendent player, and people dog on him all the time.

I mean...this season says a lot. He gets beat out for the starting job in Oakland, then when he gets to play because of an injury, Oakland's immediate response is to cut him. Not just make him a backup or a third-stringer, but cut him.

Then he goes to Buffalo, presumably to at least be in the spot above Jeff Tuel on the depth chart. By the time the Bills have to use someone in that spot, they go with Tuel. Tuel plays pretty badly...and Buffalo's response is to cut Matt Flynn.

These are awful teams that deemed within weeks that he shouldn't even be allowed in the building. It's hard to think that he's very good.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:38 pm 
NET Pro Bowler

And GB scores to take the lead. Time for Choko to do it yet again.

To the barren lands

Post Posted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:40 pm 
NET Veteran

MidwestHawker wrote:
seahawk2k wrote:
Funny how the guy gets beat out of a job by a rare, transcendent player, and people dog on him all the time.

I mean...this season says a lot. He gets beat out for the starting job in Oakland, then when he gets to play because of an injury, Oakland's immediate response is to cut him. Not just make him a backup or a third-stringer, but cut him.

Then he goes to Buffalo, presumably to at least be in the spot above Jeff Tuel on the depth chart. By the time the Bills have to use someone in that spot, they go with Tuel. Tuel plays pretty badly...and Buffalo's response is to cut Matt Flynn.

These are awful teams that deemed within weeks that he shouldn't even be allowed in the building. It's hard to think that he's very good.

I didn't make any argument whatsoever that he is very good. I don't get why people seem to mock and root for him to fail like he slighted the Seahawks in some way.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:41 pm 
* NET Alumni *

Maybe the Cowboys should trade for Matt Flynn.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:41 pm 
* NET Staff Alumni *
* NET Staff Alumni *

And Romo throws another 4th quarter pick.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:42 pm 
NET Pro Bowler

And there it is, Choko with the pick to lose it for Dullass. God I love it.

To the barren lands

NET Veteran

Int. Game over. Flynn got it done.

NET Veteran

DavidSeven wrote:
Dallas has thrown the ball something like 50 times in a game they were leading 26-3 at halftime.

How does Garrett have a job?

garrett doesn't call any plays.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:44 pm 
NET Pro Bowler

Why are they not running the ball in the possession before the last one, especially when Murray has run well all day (134 yds. on 18 carries)? HORRIBLE play calling! And Choko does it yet again!!!!

To the barren lands

Last edited by hawksfansinceday1 on Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:44 pm 
* NET Nobody *

MidwestHawker wrote:
seahawk2k wrote:

Think about what you are saying here, do you really believe Oakland makes good decisions? They also got rid of Carson Palmer.

Then he goes to the bills with zero time in their system, so he's already at a huge disadvantage and EJ is coming back.

So those two teams decisions really tell me nothing about how well flynn has been playing.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:45 pm 
NET Veteran

Axx wrote:
DavidSeven wrote:
Dallas has thrown the ball something like 50 times in a game they were leading 26-3 at halftime.

He's not the play-caller, but it still falls on him if an entire offensive strategy for a half fails so badly. Individual play-calls are one thing, but he can and should obviously overrule losing football strategy.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:47 pm 
* NET Alumni *

:34853_doh: Dez Bryant made his patented early departure from the field.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:48 pm 
NET Pro Bowler

MidwestHawker wrote:
Axx wrote:
DavidSeven wrote:

He's not the play-caller, but it still falls on him if an entire offensive strategy for a half fails so badly. Individual play-calls are one thing, but he can and should obviously overrule losing football strategy.

And not running Murray down their throat on the 2nd to last possession was losing football strategy.

To the barren lands

Post Posted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:48 pm 
NET Veteran

ivotuk wrote:
Think about what you are saying here, do you really believe Oakland makes good decisions? They also got rid of Carson Palmer.

Then he goes to the bills with zero time in their system, so he's already at a huge disadvantage and EJ is coming back.

So those two teams decisions really tell me nothing about how well flynn has been playing.

Ummm, well I don't think getting rid of Carson Palmer is the worst thing, no. The point is that Oakland had spent draft capital on him in the trade with us, had to sort of want him to win the job, and he didn't come all that close.

As for Buffalo, Thad Lewis stepped in with zero time in their system and played kinda sorta halfway well, so I guess I'm not sure I give him that as an excuse either.

I don't think multiple NFL teams outright cut you in a season if they see much value in you. He seems to be a borderline backup/maybe a #3.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:50 pm 
NET Veteran

Axx wrote:
DavidSeven wrote:

Uh, he's the head coach and an offensive guy. This is on him. If he can't overrule his OC, what is he even doing there?

Post Posted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:54 pm 
* NET Alumni *

Paging Jerry Jones

Post Posted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:37 pm 
NET Veteran

MidwestHawker wrote:
ivotuk wrote:

Ummm, well I don't think getting rid of Carson Palmer is the worst thing, no. The point is that Oakland had spent draft capital on him in the trade with us, had to sort of want him to win the job, and he didn't come all that close.

As for Buffalo, Thad Lewis stepped in with zero time in their system and played kinda sorta halfway well, so I guess I'm not sure I give him that as an excuse either.

I don't think multiple NFL teams outright cut you in a season if they see much value in you. He seems to be a borderline backup/maybe a #3.

Borderline backups/#3 QB's don't win that game against Dallas with that 2nd half comeback win.

I really don't understand the negative comments about Flynn on this board. We didn't trade any picks for him. We got a 5th round pick for him from Oakland, and the contract he signed wasn't that large for a mid level QB starter. Just because Oakland and Buffalo didn't figure out a way to use him means nothing to me. Especially considering how pathetic both teams look after he was let go.

The reality is that he is a quality 2nd string QB that with the right situation could probably be a bottom third starter in this league. But truth be told he is back where he needs to stay, and with his last two game performance I think that is exactly what will happen. To me he has cemented his place as the #2 behind Rogers for several years to come. Good for him.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:38 pm 
NET Veteran

DavidSeven wrote:
Axx wrote:
DavidSeven wrote:

Uh, he's the head coach and an offensive guy. This is on him. If he can't overrule his OC, what is he even doing there?

That may be more on Jerry Jones and what type of control he has over the OC play decisions. None of us know.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:40 pm 
NET Veteran

I have no beef with Flynn whatsoever FWIW, if anything signing him was a positive for our organization because we had a placeholder at starter and weren't going to reach for a QB in the first round that wasn't Wilson. It allowed us to gamble on a short QB in the 3rd.

I think he's had two isolated good games ever in a spot starting role - both against awful defenses - and has looked really bad otherwise, so I don't think he's very good. There's nothing much more to it for me.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:41 pm 
NET Veteran

ivotuk wrote:
MidwestHawker wrote:
seahawk2k wrote:

You are trying to rationalize with some who really have a hate against Flynn. I really don't get the hate myself. It's not like he bad mouthed the team or was a cancer on the team.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:42 pm 
*GOLD SUPPORTER*
*GOLD SUPPORTER*

Maybe he's capable of pulling out a good game while playing for Green Bay. All I know is, he seems to be a #3 QB for every other team in the league but the Packers. That isn't any kind of hate talking, that is just what has happened this year.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:43 pm 
NET Rookie

kf3339 wrote:

Borderline backups/#3 QB's don't win that game against Dallas with that 2nd half comeback win.

I really don't understand the negative comments about Flynn on this board. We didn't trade any picks for him. We got a 5th round pick for him from Oakland, and the contract he signed wasn't that large for a mid level QB starter. Just because Oakland and Buffalo didn't figure out a way to use him means nothing to me. Especially considering how pathetic both teams look after he was let go.

The reality is that he is a quality 2nd string QB that with the right situation could probably be a bottom third starter in this league. But truth be told he is back where he needs to stay, and with his last two game performance I think that is exactly what will happen. To me he has cemented his place as the #2 behind Rogers for several years to come. Good for him.

This +1

Post Posted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:47 pm 
NET Rookie

A lot of hate around here for the guy. I was pretty upset that we spent that kind of cash on him for him to now be the man, but c'mon....... LOOK WHO BEAT HIM OUT!! Russell Wilson already has his name in the record books with the likes of nobodies like Dan Marino and Peyton Manning! The closest Flynn came to badmouthing the organization was allude to not being the "Ra Ra Guy" that Pete wants as his QB. Oakland is a crap organization, and he was just an insurance policy in Buffalo. They had no intention of making him a starter. Cut the dude some slack. I doubt any of us could go out there and play like that, especially when you've been tossed around by 3 teams in less than 12 months.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:59 pm 
NET Veteran

hawk45 wrote:
Maybe he's capable of pulling out a good game while playing for Green Bay. All I know is, he seems to be a #3 QB for every other team in the league but the Packers. That isn't any kind of hate talking, that is just what has happened this year.

maybe McCarthy's offense just caters to Flynn's limited strengths?

Post Posted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:17 pm 
NET Veteran

MidwestHawker wrote:
Axx wrote:
DavidSeven wrote:

You mean like how jerry jones pretty much made kiffen call out the defense?

Post Posted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:21 pm 
*GOLD SUPPORTER*
*GOLD SUPPORTER*

I don't care if he badmouthed or not. I care that he's a poor man's Kevin Kolb or Matt Cassell.

The guy gut chances in 3 different organizations to show them something. I don't care what he was brought in for, if he was doing jack or competing in practice he'd have a shot. Saying he hasn't had a fair chance is as delusional as folks saying Tjack never got a fair chance anywhere and was really a starter QB waiting to happen. If negative posts about Flynn are all hate, then fine, I assert that the defenders are all white-knighting the guy.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:14 pm 
NET Veteran

hawk45 wrote:
I don't care if he badmouthed or not. I care that he's a poor man's Kevin Kolb or Matt Cassell.

The guy gut chances in 3 different organizations to show them something. I don't care what he was brought in for, if he was doing jack or competing in practice he'd have a shot. Saying he hasn't had a fair chance is as delusional as folks saying Tjack never got a fair chance anywhere and was really a starter QB waiting to happen. If negative posts about Flynn are all hate, then fine, I assert that the defenders are all white-knighting the guy.

Thats precisely why I like the guy. He's been passed on by team after team, being tossed around the country like a rag doll. And yet he still puts together a game like this. I salute you, Matt

Post Posted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:03 am 
NET Veteran

Jville wrote:

Dezzy poo is just misunderstood that is all. He had a rough upbringing you know! :sarcasm_off: Million dollar talent, ten cent head!

SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

Post Posted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:29 am 
NET Veteran

hawk45 wrote:

What makes this even more peculiar is the fact it was the Pack that drafted him and no team in the history of the NFL has had more success with drafting QBs. Even with different FOs, GB knows what they are looking for, and at, when it comes to QBs. They saw something in Flynn, and they're getting out of Flynn what no other teams have been able to do.

And people hating on Flynn...c'mon. GTFU. He was a Hawk and he gave us what he could. Under the circumstances, I felt he was the consummate pro. What's to hate? I recall posters nit-picking the hell out of him while he was here: "Wilson threw a TD and Flynn didn't even slobber his knob when Wilson went to the sideline"!!!

A large portion of this fan base act like they are married to Wilson and divorce imminent if they were caught complimenting Flynn (Luck, whoever). Kinda' creepy when you think about it.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:35 am 
NET Veteran

i think all the Flynn hate is solely on the contract we gave him. that, or these are all people who ran out and bought a Flynn jersey.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:45 am 
NET Veteran

His contract was very easy on us. He was a FA, we went after him and got him. If anyone was wrong, it was us, not Flynn. And if people are hating on Flynn because he departed after they bought his jersey...they should hate Wilson for that, not Flynn! ; )

Post Posted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:25 am 
NET Veteran

The term hate is seriously overused. For those of us who have been critical of Flynn's abilities, it is simply that. I do not hate Matt Flynn. I would imagine that no one hates Matt Flynn. Some may be jealous of his dollars for very little return and the very attractive woman he has, but hate? Really people. He is not that good of a QB. He is a system fit for Green Bay and they use him to the best of his abilities. Why does it always come down to we have to attack other people's opinions?

Post Posted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:54 am 
NET Veteran

I can't understand the hate for Flynn either, we should be grateful that a guy who could play like he did last night was only good enough to be our number 3. Instead of being down on Flynn it makes me realise how good our guys are in comparison.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:31 am 
NET Pro Bowler

Sports Hernia wrote:
Jville wrote:

Dezzy poo is just misunderstood that is all. He had a rough upbringing you know! :sarcasm_off: Million dollar talent, ten cent head!

This. Anyone who wants this cancer on our team ought to seriously evaluate their idea of what "team" means.

To the barren lands

Post Posted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:13 pm 
NET Veteran

kf3339 wrote:
You are trying to rationalize with some who really have a hate against Flynn. I really don't get the hate myself. It's not like he bad mouthed the team or was a cancer on the team.

I get that this is an American thing... but why do people use the word 'hate' so much?

I don't hate Flynn. I'm glad we never got to experience his play as a starter in Seattle, but I don't 'hate' him.

And kudos to him for coming back and getting the win after that atrocious early pick. Although having watched the game, this is pretty much all on Dallas IMO. What a pathetic job by the Cowboys coaching staff. Laughable.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:28 pm 
* NET Alumni *

theENGLISHseahawk wrote:
kf3339 wrote:

I get that this is an American thing... but why do people use the word 'hate' so much?

I don't hate Flynn. I'm glad we never got to experience his play as a starter in Seattle, but I don't 'hate' him.

And kudos to him for coming back and getting the win after that atrocious early pick. Although having watched the game, this is pretty much all on Dallas IMO. What a pathetic job by the Cowboys coaching staff. Laughable.

The "hate" thing is a favorite political crutch. It's not uniquely American but rather a no brainer thing used world wide. Its labeling as in an emotional and ill-supported accusation.

Last edited by Jville on Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:33 pm 
NET Veteran

Flynn is garbage and I'm glad he isn't anywhere near our roster.

He's also received way too many chances and he still is garbage. Hard to lose a game when Romo just hands the ball to you and says 'pretty please'.

RIP ROAD WOES 12/2/2012

Post Posted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:50 pm 
NET Rookie

theENGLISHseahawk wrote:
kf3339 wrote:

GTH Red Coat

Post Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:31 pm 
* NET Alumni *

:34853_doh: That remark arrived about 3 centuries late.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:30 pm 
NET Rookie

And means jack shit to us Brits. You're the ones that can't seem to let it go. :)

Post Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:45 pm 
* NET Alumni *

Hatred is such a sad and empty state of mind.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:02 pm 
* 17Power Blogger *

Jville wrote:
Hatred is such a sad and empty state of mind.

I hate you.

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!

Follow me on Twitter at @17power

Post Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:31 pm 
NET Veteran

MidwestHawker wrote:
seahawk2k wrote:

Funny, but I won't base any player evaluations based on Oakland's and Buffalo's persnnel moves. The Raiders cut Flynn because the fans flipped out when he had one bad game and they all went postal. Oakland's OL is terrible in pass pro and a guy like Flynn won't last behind that. I thought Flynn would be a good starter but he has no arm strength. Someone wrote that he needs Tommy John surgery. Makes sense.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:37 pm 
NET Veteran

MidwestHawker wrote:
ivotuk wrote:

Think about what you're saying, and who you're saying it about:

Carson Palmer. Not mobile. He needs time and a good OL and he can make plays and good decisions.

Matt Flynn. Somewhat mobile. Will hold the ball. Doesn't have the best arm strength but can throw open WRs.

Both these guys need good OLs and Oaklands might be the worst in the league. Also, name me an Oakland WR that's any good. Hell, I don't even know who their TE is either.

Funny how Palmer is playing better, and now Flynn is playing better back in a system with some weapons to throw to. Two QBs improving their situation as soon as they left Oakland. But hey, Oakland makes great personnel decisions, right ?

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ NFL NATION ]