Tomlin's Sideline Shenanigans

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. RATING: PG-13
Tomlin's Sideline Shenanigans
Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:13 pm
  • Was surprised not to see a thread about this.

Anything going to come of it or is it alright for coaches to interfere with plays as long as they're wearing black & gold?
    Last edited by Laloosh on Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    RockHawk wrote:This has turned into nothing but a personal attack, which goes against our forum rules...... I'll allow it.
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

Re: Tomlin's Sideline Shenanigans
Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:51 pm
  • Slap on the wrist a $50 fine and Rog will wag his finger at him.
    42-13, 29-3, and 23-17 and a Lombardi trophy from THIS millennium.....deal with it niner trolls

SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:57 pm
  • He should get hit with a hefty fine, seriously that Cheshire Cat grin tells you all you need to know. Doubt anything happens though.
    43-8...it's all about that action boss....
    next man up.
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:33 pm
  • Should be suspended one game at least. Its beyond nonsense that a coach is on the field of play 5 yards with in a player. Had it been 90% of the other coaches in the league, the media would be having a field day. Lucky he is the coach of the most popular team in the nation.
    cockeyhawk
    NET Rookie

Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:39 pm
  • cockeyhawk wrote:Should be suspended one game at least. Its beyond nonsense that a coach is on the field of play 5 yards with in a player. Had it been 90% of the other coaches in the league, the media would be having a field day. Lucky he is the coach of the most popular team in the nation.

Your post is dumb. If the ref crew had some balls, they would have called it a touchdown as per the rules. But they didn't, so you want a suspension. Since when does a bad call equal a suspension?
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:40 pm

Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:53 pm
  • Dear Mojo, Since when does a no call equal a suspension? Hmm Since when does a no flag play on specialteams play, end up with a coach suspended. You can read the topic stated by the glove.

Edited by Radish for language attacking a poster rather than his post.
    Last edited by cockeyhawk on Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    cockeyhawk
    NET Rookie

Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:57 pm
  • [quote="cockeyhawk"]Dear Mojo, Since when does a no call equal a suspension? Hmm Since when does a no flag play on specialteams play, end up with a coach suspended. You can read the topic stated by the glove.

You ever make a good, positive post?
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:00 pm
  • Check out the sideline ref! his eyes are looking straight at Tomlin's foot!
    rjas77
    NET Rookie

Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:13 am
  • E.C. Laloosh wrote:Was surprised not to see a thread about this.

Anything going to come of it or is it alright for coaches to interfere with plays as long as they're wearing black & gold?

Black & gold would be the Saints. Black & yellow for the Stealers. :) Also, apparently you don't enter the shack much, haha. It's discussed a fair amount in a thread there.

I watched that happen live and even the analysts were saying they could just award Baltimore the TD.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:03 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    E.C. Laloosh wrote:Was surprised not to see a thread about this.

Black & gold would be the Saints. Black & yellow for the Stealers. :) Also, apparently you don't enter the shack much, haha. It's discussed a fair amount in a thread there.

I watched that happen live and even the analysts were saying they could just award Baltimore the TD.

Jacoby messed up. He should have ran right through him end of story. If the referees didn't call touchdown the firestorm which would ensue might almost have entertained me for a week.....
    next man up.
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran

Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:21 am
  • Yeah, it'd have been amazing if Jones had just decided to haul off on Tomlin. It'd serve him right. What an ass.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:37 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:Yeah, it'd have been amazing if Jones had just decided to haul off on Tomlin. It'd serve him right. What an ass.
    How's this for a difference between the Seahawks and the former Superbowl Champions..both Percy and Golden would have ran him over as they scored the touchdown that should be on the board. Hate the Stealers.
    next man up.
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran

Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:53 am
  • Scottemojo wrote:
    cockeyhawk wrote:Should be suspended one game at least. Its beyond nonsense that a coach is on the field of play 5 yards with in a player. Had it been 90% of the other coaches in the league, the media would be having a field day. Lucky he is the coach of the most popular team in the nation.

Your post is dumb. If the ref crew had some balls, they would have called it a touchdown as per the rules. But they didn't, so you want a suspension. Since when does a bad call equal a suspension?

It isn't automatically a 'touchdown as per the rules.' It is a judgment call by the refs to award whatever penalty yardage they consider equitable or award a touchdown outright. Understandably, it's never happened in the modern era yet so it's speculation at best to say what would happen.

Cowher actually made clear intent to almost try to tackle a dude (Jags I think?) after he started returning a blocked game-winning FG attempt for a touchdown on a MNF game back in the late 90's. Unfortunately, he stopped himself at the last second and we had to endure another decade of his rage-faced shenanigans and tainted Superb Owl.

It is still a rule that is in place for safety and just because it wasn't flagged in the moment doesn't mean that punishment and/or fines still can't be handed out. Regardless of whether it was intentional or not, it could have resulted in serious injury and the NFL will not let that slide just because dumb ass Tomlin can't tell where the fuck he's at for 5 seconds.
    253hawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:28 am
  • 253hawk wrote:
    Scottemojo wrote:
    cockeyhawk wrote:Should be suspended one game at least. Its beyond nonsense that a coach is on the field of play 5 yards with in a player. Had it been 90% of the other coaches in the league, the media would be having a field day. Lucky he is the coach of the most popular team in the nation.

It isn't automatically a 'touchdown as per the rules.' It is a judgment call by the refs to award whatever penalty yardage they consider equitable or award a touchdown outright. Understandably, it's never happened in the modern era yet so it's speculation at best to say what would happen.

Cowher actually made clear intent to almost try to tackle a dude (Jags I think?) after he started returning a blocked game-winning FG attempt for a touchdown on a MNF game back in the late 90's. Unfortunately, he stopped himself at the last second and we had to endure another decade of his rage-faced shenanigans and tainted Superb Owl.

It is still a rule that is in place for safety and just because it wasn't flagged in the moment doesn't mean that punishment and/or fines still can't be handed out. Regardless of whether it was intentional or not, it could have resulted in serious injury and the NFL will not let that slide just because dumb ass Tomlin can't tell where the fuck he's at for 5 seconds.

When did I say it was automatic?
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:10 am
  • Here's what's going to happen as it concerns this situation folks: NOTHING! Because the game was played on Thanksgiving, by the time Stealer Rog gets back to his office, there will have been so many other games and so many other things will have happened that Shitsburgh Goodell will be able to bury it so one of his precious glamor franchises doesn't suffer any negative press. I'm sure he will give orders to his TV networks, NFL Network and the Eastcoastbiased Sports Programming Network to not pursue this on air and they'll be good little sheep and do exactly as he wishes. Journalism my ass. Conflict of interest is more like it.

And no doubt he'll bury this story by ordering NFLN and ESPN to focus on the drug issues of the Seattle Seahawks. Juicy, TMZ type shit sells more ad time than a "respected" coach of a "respected" franchise "bending a rule a tiny bit". Hell they can spin it as Tomlin's "intense desire to win" and leave it at that and then go back to the problems in Seattle, eh?
    Last edited by hawksfansinceday1 on Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:14 am
  • Scottemojo wrote:they would have called it a touchdown as per the rules.

When did I say it was automatic?

It's a ref judgment "per the rules", not an unequivocal touchdown.
    253hawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:58 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    E.C. Laloosh wrote:Was surprised not to see a thread about this.

Meh, we are playing black & gold this week, iRo. I made a mistake.

I usually do frequent the shack but hadn't quite made it over there after the Holiday feast. This was my first post back.
    RockHawk wrote:This has turned into nothing but a personal attack, which goes against our forum rules...... I'll allow it.
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:27 pm
  • Jason Kidd was just handed a nice fine for spilling his cup and saying "hit me". Both coaches were obvious. Tomlin with his grin and Kidd with the hit me
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:17 pm
  • The NFL is taking Mike Tomlin's juvenile-esque infraction/ sideline tantrum seriously.

The latest news:

Up yours, Stealers!!!

I hope the NFL does indeed go through with it, and strip them of a pick in the Draft, myself.
    Rotten, tu d'accord?
    rottweiler
    NET Rookie

Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:51 pm
  • rottweiler wrote:The NFL is taking Mike Tomlin's juvenile-esque infraction/ sideline tantrum seriously.

The latest news:

Up yours, Stealers!!!

I hope the NFL does indeed go through with it, and strip them of a pick in the Draft, myself.

Watch the whole vid rott. It ends up with Mariucci and Faulk talking about how he didn't mean to and all that bullshit. Wish you were right man, but it ain't gonna happen with a Stealer.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:31 pm
  • hawksfansinceday1 wrote:
    rottweiler wrote:The NFL is taking Mike Tomlin's juvenile-esque infraction/ sideline tantrum seriously.

The latest news:

Up yours, Stealers!!!

Watch the whole vid rott. It ends up with Mariucci and Faulk talking about how he didn't mean to and all that bullshit. Wish you were right man, but it ain't gonna happen with a Stealer.

Figures, that. Yeah.

I never watched the video before I posted it: I had only read the copy instead.
    Rotten, tu d'accord?
    rottweiler
    NET Rookie

Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:25 pm
  • He is still denying doing it on purpose. His claims that he was watching the jumbotron is bull. He is looking over his shoulder and when Jones was close enough he stepped out and jumped back. Bottom line he was looking over his shoulder not in front of him. The smirk afterwards was flat out sickening. He better at least be fined.
    Kixkahn
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:00 pm
  • I don't care about the Stealer's draft pick. I want Tomlin off the competition committee.
    35!
    AHH-OOH!
    KK84
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:28 pm
  • KK84 wrote:I don't care about the Stealer's draft pick. I want Tomlin off the competition committee.

+1.

He doesn't have any legitimate place there any longer — especially if the NFL really cares about player safety.

Tomlin just cannot be trusted. Period.
    Rotten, tu d'accord?
    rottweiler
    NET Rookie

Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:03 am
  • Tomlin gets a 100k fine..hahahahahahahahahaha...team may also suffer a forfeiture of a draft pick...as per NFL AM

...then again a 100k to him is not that much...the team losing a draft pick would be a bigger hit...

I can't beleive all the people defending his actions as unintentional...how can anyone watching the video say it wasn't? Oh well, don't matter the Steelers are DONE!!
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions 2014.02.02 Seahawks 43 Broncos 8
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:16 am
  • Slap on the wrist. Expected nothing less! Guy is a blight on the NFL and should be banned for the the rest of the season for actions detrimental to the sport!
    #NEXTMANUP
    Evil_Shenanigans
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:18 am
  • ^^^^ 100K and a potential lost pick is a slap on the wrist?!?!?!??!

Taking a draft pick is excessive, IMO. TBH I've never believed it was intentional for a second, nor do I think it really impacted the play (he was getting caught regardless). I can understand why someone might think it was intentional when watching it in slow motion, but watching it in real time from the endzone angle when you can see both of their faces, there's just no way.
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:21 am
  • Popeyejones wrote:^^^^ 100K and a potential lost pick is a slap on the wrist?!?!?!??!

Taking a draft pick is excessive, IMO. TBH I've never believed it was intentional for a second, nor do I think it really impacted the play (he was getting caught regardless). I can understand why someone might think it was intentional when watching it in slow motion, but watching it in real time from the endzone angle when you can see both of their faces, there's just no way.

It was absolutely intentional.

He watched the scoreboard to figure out how to get in the way. I do agree the draft pick is the wrong punishment. Tomlin should have been fined and then suspended for a game.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:34 am
  • A draft pick removal or downgrade is the right move, IMO, because it sends a message to try and get guys to not do it.

How many people out there keep speeding and getting speeding tickets over, and over, and over, for instance? If you can just pay a fine and you have plenty of money, there's little incentive to not do it again under the right circumstances. Messing with the draft picks, on the other hand; that's serious.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:18 am
  • I think the NFL just tossed 'draft pick' out there as a threat to make the league aware that they aren't going to play around with this rule any longer. Intent really has nothing to do with it, despite how mind-blowingly far Tomlin is out of the coach box. Keep your ass off the sideline.

Not that the NFL still won't yank a pick, but I imagine they'll wait until the regular season is over and the lower draft order is in place to decide that.
    253hawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:06 am
  • Apparently this is the ONLY thing worth talking about on NFL Network today. It's getting old real quick. I changed the channel.
    Seahwkgal
    * NET Hottie *

Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:38 am
  • Seahwkgal wrote:Apparently this is the ONLY thing worth talking about on NFL Network today. It's getting old real quick. I changed the channel.

It's a full court press in NFL damage control, spin and window dressing.

No flag no penalty for a "storied franchise". Continued SOP among NFL officials.

And, we (the public) are all once again presumed to be too stupid to realize Tomlin will be fully reinbursed for that $100K window dressing fine via an undisclosed vehicle. If the reports about Tomlin's popularity are correct, he may have the opportunity to pocket a tidy profit over this incident. Heck he may even inspire and be featured in a superbowl commercial.

The NFL is conducting business a usual. It is how they behave.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:17 am
  • What is the precedent for taking away draft picks, anyhow? Anyone know? I'm pretty sure I remember the Donkos being penalized under Shanahan, but that's the only one I can think of. It's hard to imagine them taking one for this pretty minor shenanigan.
    Q: “What is your thing?”
    A: “Lay back, kick back, mind my business, stay in my own lane.”
    VivaEfrenHerrera
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:45 am
  • Popeyejones wrote:^^^^ 100K and a potential lost pick is a slap on the wrist?!?!?!??!

Is there a video out there that shows the "all-22" look of this?

I don't understand how a coach has his back to a play on the field. Don't get it - never seen it - EVER

I see a big fat smirk on his face afterwards. It looks unintentional because he has his back to the play then you think to yourself........WHY???? why would he not watch the play? He is the head-coach and he isn't watching the play? Doesn't make any sense. AND WHY IS HE SMIRKING????

Now if there is an all-22 that shows him with the back against the play the whole time then you will help me with two answers. 1) I will understand why pitt sucks this year and 2) it will explain what happened..... :)
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:57 pm
  • Jville wrote:
    Seahwkgal wrote:Apparently this is the ONLY thing worth talking about on NFL Network today. It's getting old real quick. I changed the channel.

It's a full court press in NFL damage control, spin and window dressing.

No flag no penalty for a "storied franchise". Continued SOP among NFL officials.

And, we (the public) are all once again presumed to be too stupid to realize Tomlin will be fully reinbursed for that $100K window dressing fine via an undisclosed vehicle. If the reports about Tomlin's popularity are correct, he may have the opportunity to pocket a tidy profit over this incident. Heck he may even inspire and be featured in a superbowl commercial.

The NFL is conducting business a usual. It is how they behave.

Completely agree with this. There will be no draft pick taken away because everyone will have forgotten about the incident by the time the draft rolls around in April. All pomp, no circumstance.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:03 pm
  • mikeak wrote:
    Popeyejones wrote:^^^^ 100K and a potential lost pick is a slap on the wrist?!?!?!??!

I don't understand how a coach has his back to a play on the field. Don't get it - never seen it - EVER

I see a big fat smirk on his face afterwards. It looks unintentional because he has his back to the play then you think to yourself........WHY???? why would he not watch the play? He is the head-coach and he isn't watching the play? Doesn't make any sense. AND WHY IS HE SMIRKING????

Now if there is an all-22 that shows him with the back against the play the whole time then you will help me with two answers. 1) I will understand why pitt sucks this year and 2) it will explain what happened..... :)

There is a forward view on a shack piece to this and he is looking over his shoulder and steps out when Jones is almost right there.
    Kixkahn
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:36 pm
  • Kixkahn wrote:
    mikeak wrote:
    Popeyejones wrote:^^^^ 100K and a potential lost pick is a slap on the wrist?!?!?!??!

There is a forward view on a shack piece to this and he is looking over his shoulder and steps out when Jones is almost right there.

I've watched the all-22. You can see Tomlin leave his spot around mid field (well behind the white strip) and walk toward the other end (he's walking between people with his eyes off of the play as if he's looking to get to a particular spot).

Next time you see him, he (and he alone on that sideline) is standing WAY the hell out there. No one else is remotely close to the field but him.

It's obvious he was trying to influence the runner once he sees the play is actually going that way.

Laloosh
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:47 pm
  • To be honest, I wish Jones would have just drilled Tomlin in the back. That would teach him a lesson. More than any fine.
    nategreat
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:14 pm
  • Found the video of Cowher damn near decking a guy. No flag, no fine. F the Stealers for life.

253hawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:52 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:A draft pick removal or downgrade is the right move, IMO, because it sends a message to try and get guys to not do it.

How many people out there keep speeding and getting speeding tickets over, and over, and over, for instance? If you can just pay a fine and you have plenty of money, there's little incentive to not do it again under the right circumstances. Messing with the draft picks, on the other hand; that's serious.

Agree, but I'd go a step further. If Rog and his cronies wanted it never to happen again you strip said team of a 1st round pick. Excessive? You bet, but so what. It's the integrity of the game we are talking about here.
    42-13, 29-3, and 23-17 and a Lombardi trophy from THIS millennium.....deal with it niner trolls

SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:59 am
  • Sports Hernia you are right, but they won't do that to such a "popular" team. One of the not so popular teams like say Seattle they would have already done it without question.
    Kixkahn
    NET Veteran

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:51 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information