Why London?

Cyrus12

Reaction score
I read on espn that Goodell wants a team in both London and LA. LA I can see why as it makes no sense the NFL does not have a team there. I am sure one of those Florida teams might be an option at some point. However why London? I am sure no player would want to play there and/or travel there to play a game. Canada is not likely an option either...So whats the deal with NFL exapansion to London? pipe dream?

Kixkahn

Reaction score
London is a stupid idea, however when has Goodell proven he is bright. Canada doesn't seem all that bad considering it is in the same set of time zones.

Subzero717

Reaction score
LA is equally as stupid.

The London team would be just like Jags only worse. Who on earth would want to play there?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Logistically having a team in London would be a nightmare. I'm thinking the league will go to more of a 17 reg game schedule. With 8 home games, 8 road games and 1 game out of the US (London, Mexico, Canada) for 17 games.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
They obviously spot an opportunity to generate more revenue. Even as a UK based fan I don't want to see it. It doesn't make sense. The current arrangement isn't terrible, but it's a novelty. I really can't envisage London having a sustainable team, or fanbase for that matter.

I can also imagine some 21 year old college kids desperate for their name not to be called when the London 'whatevers' are on the clock.

I hope it never happens.

Subzero717

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":38hs1kgq said:
They need to start a separate league in Europe, not move an American team or two there.

We can ask Andrew Lucks dad to oversee it. He can be the commisioner so to speak. Like Goodell is here.

The Radish

Reaction score
Mostly because England is about the only country left in the world that isn't so pissed at us they would allow us entry.

:roll:

IcedHawk

Reaction score
I can see it now: The London Redcoats vs the New England Patriots.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
The Radish":2mp41ym4 said:
Mostly because England is about the only country left in the world that isn't so pissed at us they would allow us entry.

:roll:
Sad but true Les!

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2rfmcpc4 said:
They need to start a separate league in Europe, not move an American team or two there.
Could have swore they tried that once. :hmmmm:

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Goodell is being swooned by the attention the games are getting over here. Selling out a Jaguars game (85,000) and having 75,000 in Trafagar Square for a fan rally is making him sit up. He believes there's a hunger over here for our own team.

He's mistaken.

We don't want the London Jaguars. We just want one or two games every year coming over to play at Wembley so we don't have to pay a fortune travelling to the states to watch the NFL. He's better off just accepting that right now. The London project would be a disaster.

hawk45

Reaction score
Mindless expansion is pretty shortsighted IMO. Of course if there are more teams there is more turnstile money. But the league is so compelling right now, TV dollars enter the mix, and I think keeping the league compelling should be the number one goal, always. Adding a couple more games, screwing around with international teams, expanding to have too many teams, those are small-minded things that yeah mean more short term dollars. But you make a mistake with that stuff and you can end up the NBA or MLB much faster than you think. Especially when you're also messing with the hard hits that are so much a part of football.

I keep waiting for a commissioner to have the brains to shrink the league down to 28 so all the teams are loaded with talent. That, plus the parity that already exists in the NFL, would make the games so compelling people's minds might explode.

That won't happen though. He does the bidding of the owners, and the owners aren't going to live forever. Diluting the talent in the league isn't going to harm it in their lifetime, so it makes perfect sense for them and by extension Goodell, to pursue options that aren't in the long-term best interests of the league.

Axx

Reaction score
Goodell Wants a part of that soccer market

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Axx":2cj5fzlf said:
Goodell Wants a part of that soccer market
Good, he should step down as commish and then be part owner of a European soccer team then.

mikeak

Reaction score
So you sell tickets in London (people in many European countries will go)

You will sell more souvenirs across Europe

You hope for more tv money from European countries

With time difference you will hit quite a few countries down into the Middle East.

It is a huge potential revenue source

The US will only provide gradual increase in revenue. No real expansion possible in the US

Not saying it is a good idea or that it will work out

But I don't see how anyone can ask why the league is thinking about it...

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
As a Londoner who loves NFL I can't tell you how much I think a London franchise would be a terrible idea. These one off games are great as a novelty but there is a danger that novelty will soon wear off especially with the high ticket prices for team you dont really care about.