Lions release Scheffler

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
80% of the league would be an upgrade over Kellen Davis, let's not get carried away :p

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Apparently released because of a concussion issue. Davis has been done solid at what we've wanted a #3 blocking TE to do. I'm sort of okay with sticking with him.

12th_Bob

Reaction score
No thanks, I'm happy with Davis now that he seems to have the playbook down.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":9u2xqf5s said:
Glad that easy 1 yard TD catch from Davys changed minds lol.

Nah, I've been more impressed with his blocking. He stood a lineman straight up and drove him several yards down the field (Blind Side style) against the Titans.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
The Lions decided to utilize a younger TE (Fauria), and Tony missed a few games due to a concussion.

They have Pettigrew as well, so I don't think injuries are the major reason for his release.

He is 30 years old though, and I don't know how that would fly with how this team is built.

Production is production tough, and he's a good Red Zone target. I'd take him for the rest of the year and let him and Miller mentor Luke Willson.

12thMan1

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1p67p17d said:
FlyingGreg":1p67p17d said:

Nah, I've been more impressed with his blocking. He stood a lineman straight up and drove him several yards down the field (Blind Side style) against the Titans.

I agree that his blocking has been solid. I still don't understand why fans are giving Davis crap. If you're hoping that the FO is looking to shape someone into the next Tony Gonzalez you're in for a disappointing season. Plus, he has all but 2 or 3 penalties since he joined the team. So I'm asking all the haters to please enlighten me (with specific examples) as to why he should be cut because I literally do not see where he's been a liability.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Davis may never be an all-pro TE or even a number 1 tight end, but for what he is, he does a decent enough job. I have no idea why people watch someone struggle a bit as he learns a new system, then want to replace him with another average joe who'd have to start the learning process from the beginning again. We got a good upgrade at TE just by getting Miller back. Right now, I'm more concerned with Tate's injury and when Harvin will get back, and when we will (if ever) get back to full strength along that OLine. These are far more pressing IMO than our 3rd TE.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
DavidSeven":f2b453qt said:
FlyingGreg":f2b453qt said:

He also pushed Lynch for a good six yards against Arizona after he got sprung by a block by...Bryan Walters? Huh, ok.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
I think Davis is ok. As long as he's not getting penalties, his blocking is very solid from what I can tell.

CalgaryHawk

Reaction score
There's no law against keeping 4 TE's and dropping an extra LB like Morgan. Bring him in for a workout when he's healthy.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Our number 3 TE this year seems to be used mainly as a blocking TE, so in that regard, Kellen is actually a better fit than Scheffler who is more of a receiving TE.