Rob Ryan - Were we wrong?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
So, I remember at least twice in the last two years, we've had a thread about Rob Ryan as a defensive coordinator, and most of us, (myself included) thought he was a fair amount of the problem with the Dallas defense during his tenure there. (I think those threads were started more for the purpose of making fun of the Cowboys than anything else, though.)

Perhaps we were wrong? He has the Saints defense looking pretty decent overall. Not spectacular or anything, but solid. The Saints defense was putrid last year, (they literally ranked 32nd in almost every major category at the end of the season) and not a whole lot better the year before that. Does anybody think he's lucky, or that it's just the byproduct of the Saints offense kickin' ass and taking names?

I, for one, think I was wrong about the guy; but I've only had limited viewing time for Saints games this year thus far, so I really don't have much of an opinion on it. I'm basing it mainly on their defensive stats, Football Outsiders ranking (they have them ranked 16th at the moment, prior to today's game; but the Saints D is 6th in the league for points allowed including today's game), and what teams/offenses they have played thus far.

If anyone has seen a couple of the Saints games or more, (or if Guido is lurking and wants to chime in) I'd be curious to hear your input.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Rob runs a type of D not that different than Greg Williams did. A late shifting attack D, which matches up nicely with that offense. I still think he is a doofus. If he loses some of the players that make the machine work, he will try to attack with players that can't.

DeMarcus Ware recently talked about how happy he is to be at DE in a 4-3 for Kiffen, it was a back handed shot at Ryan, who in his need to be unpredictable, would have Ware dropping into coverage a lot. Ware is a QB killer, not a coverage linebacker.

That said, if you have issues protecting any of the gaps, Ryan will flood them with blitzers.

Axx

Reaction score
looks like the problem was with the cowboys talent and possibly head coach.

No Doubt Sean Payton can motivate his team more than Garrett

LawlessHawk

Reaction score
Did you ever notice that when they show clips of him in game highlites they put him slow motion so that his long flowing hair, blowing in the wind, stands out more?

IronSaint

Reaction score
razgriz737":23n68kte said:
Paging IronSaint...

Sorry, bro. Wasn't getting reception on the ol' trusty pager. :lol:

I'll start from the top... :th2thumbs:

RolandDeschain":23n68kte said:
If anyone has seen a couple of the Saints games or more, (or if Guido is lurking and wants to chime in) I'd be curious to hear your input.

Well, I'm certainly not Guido, but I'll offer up my insight for anyone who gives two ****s. :lol:

RolandDeschain":23n68kte said:
Perhaps we were wrong? He has the Saints defense looking pretty decent overall. Not spectacular or anything, but solid. The Saints defense was putrid last year, (they literally ranked 32nd in almost every major category at the end of the season) and not a whole lot better the year before that. Does anybody think he's lucky, or that it's just the byproduct of the Saints offense kickin' ass and taking names?

While we didn't excel in any categories, I really think the only category we suffered in last year tremendously were the 'yards allowed', which earned us the "Worst Defense of All-Time" moniker, but hopefully the Redskins can do us a favor and take it over this year. Our points allowed wasn't atrocious, but also not good by any stretch, but I believe we were ranked mid-20's if my memory serves correct, as I don't have any stats in front of me. However, most of that was a direct result of Spag's relaxed zone scheme which forced players to sit back, watching the play develop in front of them and then reacting. It required a much more 'cerebral' aspect which affected our play.

When Spag's arrived, he tried to force the scheme onto the players that it wouldn't fit. With Rob's scheme, the players already fit almost fluidly into it from the get-go, and already had the required skill-set to excel in to. It's practically the same exact players from last year, but in an attacking scheme like we used to have and that the players are used to playing in, which gives them the freedom to react to what they see.

Scottemojo":23n68kte said:
Rob runs a type of D not that different than Greg Williams did. A late shifting attack D, which matches up nicely with that offense. I still think he is a doofus. If he loses some of the players that make the machine work, he will try to attack with players that can't.

Absolutely correct. Rob's defense and Gregg's defenses are virtually carbon copies of each other's, just in 3-4 and 4-3 alignments respectively. They both emphasized heavy man on the corners and bringing safeties up and blitzing them whenever possible.

I really think injuries were the cause of his demise in Dallas. Halfway through the year last year, his unit was absolutely decimated with injuries and it gets to a point where he's out of players and trying to force square pegs in round holes. Luckily, a few of our players are versatile enough to adequately fill in spots where we've suffered injuries. We're starting to get healthy again after suffering quite a few injuries early during training camp and pre-season, we just got Bunkley back from his week 1 injury, Junior went down in the annual scrimmage and was back by week 1, Tyrunn Walker and Glenn Foster are back up and running after getting injured a few weeks ago.

DeMarcus Ware recently talked about how happy he is to be at DE in a 4-3 for Kiffen, it was a back handed shot at Ryan, who in his need to be unpredictable, would have Ware dropping into coverage a lot. Ware is a QB killer, not a coverage linebacker.

It really surprised me how Ware couldn't be more productive as a JACK in a 3-4 than as a DE in a 4-3 as it's practically the same position. Our JACK, Junior Galette, is straight up balling right now getting pressure and sacks, and to be honest, I really don't recall him dropping into coverage much if ever. He was actually the one getting held in that GIF of the TD Brady threw to beat us. I still can't believe that wasn't called. :pukeface:

That said, if you have issues protecting any of the gaps, Ryan will flood them with blitzers.

Yessir. In fact, all three of our safeties that see a majority of the field time, have recorded sacks.

Axx":23n68kte said:
looks like the problem was with the cowboys talent and possibly head coach.

No Doubt Sean Payton can motivate his team more than Garrett

I agree. I don't think it was as much Garrett, as much as it was a problem with Jerry Jones. Jones has Garrett's nuts clipped and it shows every time Garrett opens his mouth to the media. But definitely, Sean leaves Rob to his own devices in control of the defense (like he did with Gregg). Likewise, whenever something breaks down, they'll always show them working it out together on the sideline to fix it, which is a relief to see.

LawlessHawk":23n68kte said:
Did you ever notice that when they show clips of him in game highlites they put him slow motion so that his long flowing hair, blowing in the wind, stands out more?

I love it, every glorious second of it.

The Dude abides. :lol: